NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/651

1       2       3              651      
       653              686       687       end

photoomaha
Total Posts: 306

Alan, those RHPS images are great! Nice job in tough lighting conditions. I may need to look into getting a speed booster. I have a few nikon lenses that I would like to try with it. Do you notice any image quality issues? It is really hard getting a good feel with all the reviews being all over the place. Some say it is great, others call it rubbish...

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

photoomaha wrote:
Alan, those RHPS images are great! Nice job in tough lighting conditions. I may need to look into getting a speed booster. I have a few nikon lenses that I would like to try with it. Do you notice any image quality issues? It is really hard getting a good feel with all the reviews being all over the place. Some say it is great, others call it rubbish...

Thanks! I got the cheaper Zhongyi Lens Turbo for FD and it's hardly left my F3 since. Image quality issues - yes, better IQ! ;-) Slight increase in sharpness across the frame, but not the fall-off in edge sharpness I was expecting - that's probably a testament to the quality of the FD lenses. I think the far corners are a little soft, but i haven't tested it. A significant reduction in contrast overall, recoverable in RAW, and may be corrected by use of a hood, which I don't have for FD, but should try it with LT (FD are all pretty high contrast on a regular adapter). Wider angles show a fair bit of barrel distortion, correctable with +10 in ACR. Central blue spot shows up with bright scenes, especially reflective water, with a central dark subject - i think it's a flare spot caused by the LT glass reflecting back onto the sensor, and may also be responsible for the general contrast issue (just a hunch). It's partially fixable with a bit of selective blue/purple reduction, but BW conversion helps a lot!

Unless you can justify/afford a FF A7 (I can't), it's a great, fun, FF-on-the-cheap for the NEX!

Fantastic seagull shot, must have been close-up? Love the BW pp also!

Alan

photoomaha

Dang. I was hoping you would say it was horrible! Now I am going to have to try one out! I've got three nikon primes I really want to see how they look...

photoomaha

From a senior session yesterday. Nex 6 with sony 50 1.8.

alwang
Total Posts: 963

photoomaha wrote:

Really love the composition on that one, looks like she's floating. I wish the face was a tad sharper, though?

I posted this one to the pano thread as well, but this thread is a bit more lively. G28:

south of the valley, north of the bridge by alwang, on Flickr

zephoto
Total Posts: 174

photoomaha wrote:
Zach, that is a great capture in a difficult lighting situation. It really seems to me that these little Nex cameras can really bring it when it comes to dynamic range. The colors just pop.

I have to say I am in love with the DRO on NEX/Alpha cameras. It is really wonderful. Even on shots where I've got to recover from too little light, there is an incredible amount of data in the shadows/blacks that can be restored. They're very impressive little beasts!

Jim Schemel
Total Posts: 4739

photoomaha wrote:

Nice shot.Might i suggest if you have LR you can lower the luminance in the red channel and likely recover a lot of detail in the dress.
-Jim

photoomaha

Jim, Thank you for the tip with that. I went in and messed with it some more, using the luminance, and that did bring down the red to a 'just right' area. Thanks!

Jim Schemel

Can you repost it to show others how it looks?
-Jim

Jim Schemel

One from the other day.
-Jim
Takumar SMC 200 and 1.4x / NEX 7
A flock of seagulls -) by jmschemel, on Flickr

photoomaha

Hey Jim, here is the repost with the "luminance" dialed down. Thanks again.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3334

nex-7-touit-12mm-cape-may-8 by ken_vs_ryu, on Flickr

nex-7-touit-12mm-cape-may-10 by ken_vs_ryu, on Flickr

nex-7-touit-12mm-cape-may-11 by ken_vs_ryu, on Flickr

nex-7-touit-12mm-cape-may-14 by ken_vs_ryu, on Flickr

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4441

^ Nice series!

Just taking a ride to the airport - NEX-5N w/ Olympus OM 21/3.5

photoomaha

Really like the clarity and black and white treatment in the shot!

Another couple of images from Mexico, taken with the 16-50.

sculptormic
Total Posts: 1094

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1270

alan_m

Efterklang in concert (not a fan, FWIW!); FDn 50/1.4 + Lens Turbo:

Check the crazy flare far right (was a mix of yellow and blue I think):

Efterklang, Cork Opera House by specularist, on Flickr

Efterklang by specularist, on Flickr

At the concert by specularist, on Flickr

Jim Schemel

Phillip - great leaf shot.I am trying to pull one of those off myself
Specularist- nice set with lens turbo.What are your thoughts on using the turbo?
-Jim

Vivitar 13/ NEX 7
Gapstow Bridge Central Park by jmschemel, on Flickr

alan_m

Jim Schemel wrote:
Phillip - great leaf shot.I am trying to pull one of those off myself
Specularist- nice set with lens turbo.What are your thoughts on using the turbo?
-Jim

Thanks! Almost all my posts/shots from the past two months are with it. Copy/paste from above: I got the cheaper Zhongyi Lens Turbo for FD and it's hardly left my F3 since. Image quality issues - yes, better IQ! ;-) Slight increase in sharpness across the frame, but not the fall-off in edge sharpness I was expecting - that's probably a testament to the quality of the FD lenses. I think the far corners are a little soft, but i haven't tested it. A significant reduction in contrast overall in bright light, recoverable in RAW, and may be corrected by use of a hood, which I don't have for FD, but should try it with LT (FD are all pretty high contrast on a regular adapter). Wider angles show a fair bit of barrel distortion, correctable with +10 in ACR. Central blue spot shows up with bright scenes, especially reflective water, with a central dark subject - i think it's a flare spot caused by the LT glass reflecting back onto the sensor, and may also be responsible for the general contrast issue (just a hunch). It's partially fixable with a bit of selective blue/purple reduction, but BW conversion helps a lot!

Unless you can justify/afford a FF A7 (I can't), it's a great, fun, FF-on-the-cheap for the NEX!

Alan

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1091

after rain MD 135

1       2       3              651      
       653              686       687       end