NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/637

1       2       3              637      
       639              715       716       end

kjcramer
Total Posts: 702

Hi All,

Some beautiful images here! Please let me know if I am posting in the wrong place; I did not find a NEX discussion thread. I just purchased a NEX 7 kit and am very interested in using it with alt lenses but I'm a little overwhelmed as I don't know much glass that doesn't say Nikon or Canon on it. With the kit I get the 18-55 and the little 20mm 2.8. I'm interested in adding a fast general/portrait lens and a telephoto prime. There seem to be lots of these; where is a good place to start? My favorite lens in the world is the Canon 50L so something in that vein (but hopefully a lot cheaper!) would be great. I've read great things about the Minolta/Rokkor? lenses. As far as the telephoto, anything between 135-200 should do well. This will be for longer portraits, condensed landscape and the occasional bird if I can manage it. I prefer a fixed aperture prime but am open to suggestions

Also, I've seen adapters that cost anywhere from $10 to $400; is there a big advantage to the expensive ones? Metabones stuff seems to have a good reputation on here and they seem reasonably priced.

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

Hi kjcramer, welcome to NEX-land!

For legacy manual lenses, I've used cheap ($10-ish) Chinese ones for Minolta MD, Canon FD, Olympus OM etc and they've all been fine. I've read about occasional bad experiences with both cheap and expensive adapters. Standard adapters are usually "dumb" mechanical spacers for correcting the registration distance and providing a lens mount (a few also provide focusing or aperture control for lenses that don't have it manually available e.g. Contax-G).

Most of the old 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 options were typically pretty great - my MC Rokkor-x PG 50/1.4, Canon FD 50/1.4, Olympus "made in Japan" 50/1.8, Yashica ML 50/1.7 all are. With fast fifties and similar it comes down to preferences in rendering style/colour/bokeh, wide open performance, size/weight, price etc. Search this forum and Flickr.

APS-C-cropped 50mm (== 75mm) can be a bit tight for group/social/"normal" stuff etc, so you might want to consider a wider 28/30/35mm, but of course these won't be typically as fast, unless you pay more... I can recommend the great FD 35/2 (the 2.8 is allegedly as good & cheaper of course), FD 28/2.8, Vivitar Close Focus 28/2, Rokkor 28/3.5.

And for tele I use a great FD 100/2.8, Rokkor 135/3.5, Vivitar 80-200/4.5.

Also consider a Speed Booster or Lens Turbo focal reducer which, instead of cropping, optically shrinks down most of the lens's original field of view to APS-C size, gaining a little sharpness and a stop of light (in shutter speed, but not DoF) into the bargain, but risking blue-spot flare reflections in certain light and curvature/barrel distortion in the case of my Zhongyi FD Lens Turbo. So your 50mm becomes around 51/52mm, instead of 75mm-equivalent crop etc.

Sigma do razor sharp auto-focus plastic fantastic e-mount 19/2.8, 30/2.8 & 60/2.8, and the "native" Sony E-mount 35/1.8 & 50/1.8 are both great from what I've seen.

And search this inc. bookmarks bottom right for lots of great info/discussion: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1042

Others will have other opinions and suggestions!

Alan

photoomaha
Total Posts: 499

An image from our station the other day. Looking for some good light on the rig floor. Nex 6 and Zeiss 24 1.8.

Kalainen
Total Posts: 210

photoomaha wrote:
An image from our station the other day. Looking for some good light on the rig floor. Nex 6 and Zeiss 24 1.8.

Love the first one!

Kalainen

taran wrote:
Was lucky enough to get to rajastan, london, and nyc during the holidays…

india ir 141477 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

london ir 140042 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

nyc ir 1.4.140181 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Config as above.

Tilt-Shift lens? Looks very very nice. Would love to see these in colors too!

Kalainen

Day 7 of 365 - Chicken with rice, anyone?
"If you live in Europe or Nordic countries you will probably recognize this already an iconic red toy oven by BRIO. In Finland many generations of us have played with them and I remember them too from my childhood. There are of course modernized versions of toy ovens in the market with all the flashy lights, sounds and whatever, but I feel that a simple one gets the job done best. It was one of our most wanted Christmas present and we have already had couple of fresh meals done with it."

Read full post on my blog: http://www.yearofthealpha.com

taran
Total Posts: 824

Kalainen wrote:
Would love to see these in colors too!

The "ir" stands for infrared, in this case deep bw. Color would be a little difficult I'm afraid

Kalainen

taran wrote:
Kalainen wrote:
Would love to see these in colors too!

The "ir" stands for infrared, in this case deep bw. Color would be a little difficult I'm afraid

Nice and cool!

Kalainen

Day 8 of 365 - Searching around neighborhood
"When I started my photo blog we were on a holiday. Different places, people and situations. Now we're back and there are routines and everyday life to take care of. Routines and obligations tie me into certain territory, which will act as a scenery for my photographic endeavors. Much like everyone else, I can't take airplane to exotic countries or roam in the night looking for photographs. But this limitation is actually very beneficial for my photography. I need to learn how to see emerging opportunities. And I need to learn how to make them. I need to become more deeply attached to territory where I live. Because of that, I'm now searching around my neighborhood and trying to learn how to see new things in scenery that I know all too well."

lumis beans
Total Posts: 224

taran wrote:
Was lucky enough to get to rajastan, london, and nyc during the holidays…

Absolutely fantastic set, Taran.

Edward Neal
Total Posts: 22

this is one of my favorite NEX-7 shots. It was the night of the grand opening or whatever you call it of the Marilyn sculpture being here in Palm Springs. the place was a zoo and people were everywhere making it difficult to get a good shot. as I walked around the statue looking for a shot I suddenly found this angle where the moon was in just the perfect position. I cropped it square to to get rid of all of the clutter of the event.

it was shot with the 30mm f/2.8 at f/4 and ISO 6400

alan_m

FDn 35/2 + Lens Turbo:

DSC06063 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC06075 by specularist, on Flickr

Vivitar 80-200/4.5 + Lens Turbo, same day:

DSC06082 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC06094 by specularist, on Flickr

Ulff
Total Posts: 1129

NEX 5n + Minolta 58 @ f1.2:

taran
Total Posts: 824

lumis beans wrote:
Absolutely fantastic set, Taran.

Thank you so much.

india ir 141492 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

I did shoot some visible spectrum too... various pentax lenses...

india 1.6.140661 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

india 1.6.142560 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

india 1.6.142968 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

india 1.6.141841 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Kalainen

Great pictures Taran! and a one color one too! :-)

Kalainen

Day 9 of 365 - Field of view
"Today it hits. The pressure of finding new ideas and subjects in a tight schedule, which I've created myself. Just after I thought it has not been so difficult to find something to photograph each day, I'm suddenly finding my pockets pretty empty. How do I solve this? By posting something different. Still playing with black, but this time I'm rendering it differently."

Kalainen

Edward Neal wrote:
this is one of my favorite NEX-7 shots. It was the night of the grand opening or whatever you call it of the Marilyn sculpture being here in Palm Springs. the place was a zoo and people were everywhere making it difficult to get a good shot. as I walked around the statue looking for a shot I suddenly found this angle where the moon was in just the perfect position. I cropped it square to to get rid of all of the clutter of the event.

it was shot with the 30mm f/2.8 at f/4 and ISO 6400

Remarkably clean for a ISO6400. You must have processed it nicely.

TeamSK jay
Total Posts: 627

Air Force One, Reagan Library
CV12 on 5N

absolutic
Total Posts: 2228

nex 5n, kit 18-55

alan_m

FDn 100/2.8 + Lens Turbo, all cropped fairly significantly.

DSC06196 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC06201 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC06224 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC06242 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC06244 by specularist, on Flickr

1       2       3              637      
       639              715       716       end