1       2       3              628      
       630              684       685       end

Jim Schemel
Total Posts: 4931

NEX 7 / Takumar 50 @1.4 iso 3200

Antique Handle - Possibly Coffee Grinder by jmschemel, on Flickr

Kruschtel
Total Posts: 62

@Tarocco: I am surprised to not see that heavy loss of image quality at the edges of the picture, as in a review of the MB speedbooster by a Fuji user was reported:

http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-metabones-speed-booster-canon-fd-to-fuji-x/3/

Is that only visible wide-open?

Tarocco
Total Posts: 216

Kruschtel wrote:
@Tarocco: I am surprised to not see that heavy loss of image quality at the edges of the picture, as in a review of the MB speedbooster by a Fuji user was reported:

http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-metabones-speed-booster-canon-fd-to-fuji-x/3/

Some of the corners are cropped due to stitching but in general I find they're pretty good, even wide open. I also use most of my lenses on a Canon 6D so I'm in the process of making more comparisons. I do see an odd effect where the very center has higher resolution than the rest of the frame, even stopped down - but it's more complex than just 'bad corners'. I think some (not all) of the image quality limitations attributed to the Speedbooster are really just lens limitations.

Here's another stopped down Nex-7 / Speedbooster stitch:

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 6702

NEX-5N and Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 CLE

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

Tarocco wrote:
Kruschtel wrote:

Some of the corners are cropped due to stitching but in general I find they're pretty good, even wide open. I also use most of my lenses on a Canon 6D so I'm in the process of making more comparisons. I do see an odd effect where the very center has higher resolution than the rest of the frame, even stopped down - but it's more complex than just 'bad corners'. I think some (not all) of the image quality limitations attributed to the Speedbooster are really just lens limitations.

I expected the central higher resolution boost from my Zhongyi FD Lens Turbo, but have also been pleasantly surprised by good edge (if not extreme corner) performance from my FDs. Obviously the lens quality has a lot to do with this! But the one-size-fits-all approach of the LT/SB can surely not produce the same performance on every lens, regardless of each lens' unique field curvature, distortion etc? Anyway, the edges of this FDn 50/1.4 + LT shot at around f2.8 (un-cropped, as far as I remember) are fantastic, especially as I wasn't expecting or hoping for them to be this good! Posting large, just to look at sharpness (embarrasingly, I've only just noticed sharpening haloes and green fringing. Must revisit this one!):

Dragon Boat Challenge race, Cork by specularist, on Flickr

Alan

Kruschtel
Total Posts: 62

@Tarocco & Alan: Very impressive photos!
Alan, did you only resize or is this a crop?

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

Un-cropped, as far as I remember, but I can check and confirm later.

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 3577

That's impressive alan, I may have to get one of those as I'm starting to get a few FD/L lenses. The 3rd shot of your previous series above ( ... F4 maybe?) is another good one at the edges.

Mike

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1750

Voigt 50mm 1.1

Jim Schemel

Nex 7 / Takumar 50@1.4 with turbo

Corn-Kernelicious by jmschemel, on Flickr

mcbroomf

A 16mm/F2 Rokinon arrived in the post a few days ago and today was the 1st time out with it on a 5N. I REALLY like this lens

F2

F5.6

F2

F5.6 (boat was swaying back and forth, the change in view has nothing to do with the stop)

F2

Jim Schemel

mcbroomf - I'll bet that lens would rock on the new FF Nex.On a crop it looks to be a very capable 24mm
-Jim

Another grab today.This was taken with Takumar 200 and Turbo

Geese Lake by jmschemel, on Flickr

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1750

the geese look like they are walking on water, very cool!

uhoh7
Total Posts: 4215

well TG may have been my last nex shoot for a while--A7r came today

DSC01370 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC01271-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC01478 by unoh7, on Flickr

Nex 5n has been a fantastic camera for me, and each time I lift the A7r---I wish it was so small and light!

However FF is heaven

Another thing which astounds me is how well the A7r performs at f/16. On the 5n I try to stay around 5.6 shooting landscapes if the edges are there with whatever lens, because I really see the difference past that point.

But the young designers worked their butts off to improve diffraction and it seems to show

This thread has improved my shooting and inspired me time and time again. Long live the NEX image thread!

mcbroomf

Jim Schemel wrote:
mcbroomf - I'll bet that lens would rock on the new FF Nex.On a crop it looks to be a very capable 24mm
-Jim

Another grab today.This was taken with Takumar 200 and Turbo

Geese Lake by jmschemel, on Flickr

It's an APSC lens Jim, not sure how much it will cover on FF

bert85
Total Posts: 32

With the Sel35.

Autumn von Um Berto auf Flickr

H.Lux
Total Posts: 511

One more from Venice. It's on an island called Cimitero (cemetary) for obvious reasons. When you visit it, some graves really touch you.

NEX-7, Speed Booster, Oly 2/21

And one again from Venice itself, Quartiere di Dorsoduro. NEX-7, Speed Booster, Oly 2/21

Enjoy,
Stefan

LXShooter
Total Posts: 651

mcbroomf, great images from the Rokinon 16mm. I was debating about the Zeiss 24, but that's a lot to drop on the "Zeiss" emblem. I now have a better idea on which one should go with.

mcbroomf

Thanks LX, here are a couple more from it, F4 or 5.6:

ebookman
Total Posts: 1356

Nex 6 -- Voigtlander Nocton 50/1.1 wide open IS0 125 1/400 - heavily cropped
Shopping mall after closing

1       2       3              628      
       630              684       685       end