NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/595

1       2       3              595      
596
       597              696       697       end

sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10026
Country: United States

sculptormic wrote:
You know this link, Sebboh? They do NEX conversions as well.

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials


thanks! will look into it.



dkerins
Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Total Posts: 56
Country: Canada

I have this new Rainbow adapter but when the lens locks into place the lens is not aligned on at the top. Can anyone advise me if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.







briantho
Registered: Oct 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1080
Country: Sweden

Contax 120 macro:


Bumblebee by briantho, on Flickr



LightShow
Registered: Aug 03, 2009
Total Posts: 4898
Country: Canada

dkerins wrote:
I have this new Rainbow adapter but when the lens locks into place the lens is not aligned on at the top. Can anyone advise me if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.






I don't recall my adapter/lens lining up like that, can you take a pic of the front with just the adapter mounted to the camera, that should make it easy to see if the adapter was put together differently, if it was, contact the seller.


shelt
Registered: Apr 18, 2003
Total Posts: 244
Country: United States

IIRC, the PEN-NEX adapter can connect in two different places -- one correct, and one not. You might take it apart and see if you can connect it after rotating it a bit.



dkerins
Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Total Posts: 56
Country: Canada

Thanks for spending time on this for me.

It seems to me that there is only one way to attach the adpater to the camera and only one way to attach a lens to the adapter.

When attaching the lens, the red dots line up nicely and then it turns counter clockwise (from the lens side). The lens red dot rotates past the top of the top of the adapter and locks nicely with a click few degrees past the top of the adapter.







ebookman
Registered: Jul 15, 2012
Total Posts: 594
Country: United States

dkerins wrote:
I have this new Rainbow adapter but when the lens locks into place the lens is not aligned on at the top. Can anyone advise me if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.


Yes, I have had that happen a number of times and in each case it becomes a task of alligning the adapter to the lens. This is done with three or four tiny set screws on the adapter mounting ring which must be backed off so you can turn the lens to the desired position and set the screws. They are invariably Philips screws which respond to a PH 00 head usually found on a 40-50mm shaft length. They are often so hard to turn that you break eyeglass screwdrivers until you invest in a a higher quality miniature screwdriver something like this http://www.amazon.com/Wera-05118019002-Kraftform-Electronics-Screwdriver/dp/B003ES5M1M Unfortunately some adapters do not allow adjustment.

I keep one on my desk because it will also open many lenses.



joanlvh
Registered: Oct 19, 2008
Total Posts: 1267
Country: United States

just to confirm for dkerins, the adaptor I have does line up correctly, you can see from the adaptor label that it is not the same as yours, but i have scoured it and cannont find a brand name. I am pretty sure I ordered it from B&H. good luck joanlvh



philber
Registered: May 21, 2008
Total Posts: 7344
Country: France

Playing around with my Touit 12mm. I still can't pass judgement on it, as it is so unusual for me. This is what I know so far. In the center, it is wickedly sharp, from very close up to infinity. And close up means close enough to do flowers. It handles contrast and flare unusually well, which is defnitiely useful with a lens this wide. It has quite a bit of 3D, though not necessarily in a spectacular way.
Where I am not yet sure is how sharp it is in the corners, because, so far, I am no in focus in the corners. Ineed to get used to the AF. Or about the amount of detail. My guess is that it lacks very, very fine detail which a Leica would have. But it could just be that it presents it in a different way, because even when I go 100% on my NEX 7, which is very serious magnification, there is a lot of detail everywhere.
Next week, I will try a comparison between it and my ZM 18 on my NEX 5N, and see what gives. But I am already sure it is a keeper.



dkerins
Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Total Posts: 56
Country: Canada

I took the three philips screws off of the adapter, on the face that meets the lens. I can turn that silver plate relative to the rest of the adapter but there are only three drilled holes so the plate can only be in three possible positions. And in fact the holes on the two pieces of the adapter only properly align in one of the three possible positions. There doesn't seem to be a way to tweak the alignment of the lens and adapter by shifting the two parts of the adapter.

I think I may have a manufacturing dud.



ebookman
Registered: Jul 15, 2012
Total Posts: 594
Country: United States

dkerins wrote:
I took the three philips screws off of the adapter, on the face that meets the lens. I can turn that silver plate relative to the rest of the adapter but there are only three drilled holes so the plate can only be in three possible positions. And in fact the holes on the two pieces of the adapter only properly align in one of the three possible positions. There doesn't seem to be a way to tweak the alignment of the lens and adapter by shifting the two parts of the adapter.

I think I may have a manufacturing dud.

It sounds like you removed the silver mounting ring from the end of the adapter. If there are set screws they will be on the side of the adapter on the black barrel. I just looked at one of mine, a FOTGA. They look like empty holes as the screws are quite deeply set. The adapter ring stays in place. As I said, some just can't be adjusted.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10026
Country: United States

ebookman wrote:
dkerins wrote:
I took the three philips screws off of the adapter, on the face that meets the lens. I can turn that silver plate relative to the rest of the adapter but there are only three drilled holes so the plate can only be in three possible positions. And in fact the holes on the two pieces of the adapter only properly align in one of the three possible positions. There doesn't seem to be a way to tweak the alignment of the lens and adapter by shifting the two parts of the adapter.

I think I may have a manufacturing dud.

It sounds like you removed the silver mounting ring from the end of the adapter. If there are set screws they will be on the side of the adapter on the black barrel. I just looked at one of mine, a FOTGA. They look like empty holes as the screws are quite deeply set. The adapter ring stays in place. As I said, some just can't be adjusted.


it's mostly just m39 to e-mount adapters that have set screws like you describe. none of the pen-f to e-mount adapters i've seen have set screws.

dkerins my pen-f adapter has the same quirk (it's an RJ one that looks identical to yours except for the RJ written on it), it never really bothered me so i had forgotten. i was shooting with it this morning but didn't remember it was misaligned till went back to look right now. i suspect they just didn't have the correct specs for the pen-f mount when they made the adapters (could just be a quality control issue too).



dkerins
Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Total Posts: 56
Country: Canada

There don't appear to be any screws on the black part of the adapter as you describe.. I don't think it is adjustable.



Taylor Sherman
Registered: Mar 26, 2012
Total Posts: 1049
Country: United States

Some fun with fireworks, using the SEL35F18:



DSC00739.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr


DSC00748.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr



DSC00740.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10026
Country: United States

^^ cool!

here's a few shots from the pen f 42/1.2 from this morning, all wide open:
















Taylor Sherman
Registered: Mar 26, 2012
Total Posts: 1049
Country: United States

Thanks! I like the look of the dinosaur on that last one.



ebookman
Registered: Jul 15, 2012
Total Posts: 594
Country: United States

This is my first experience with a tilt/shift adapter. I am still trying to figure out what it can do. This particular adapter is for Minolta MD to Nex. I am using a Rokkor-X 45mm f/2 lens. One shot is on the horizonal plane and one shot verticle. It can of course do everything in between.



joekraft
Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Total Posts: 3105
Country: United States

What would be the best option for a 24mm e-fov lens with these, do we think? I probably wouldn't buy a leica or zm lens, but I have a canon 24 L right now, so I could have some flexibility to sell/trade. I'm actually wondering if a 10-22 efs wouldn't be a good option.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10026
Country: United States

joekraft wrote:
What would be the best option for a 24mm e-fov lens with these, do we think? I probably wouldn't buy a leica or zm lens, but I have a canon 24 L right now, so I could have some flexibility to sell/trade. I'm actually wondering if a 10-22 efs wouldn't be a good option.


a speedbooster + the OM 24/2.8 might be pretty good? it's slow and a little wider, but the cv 15/4.5 is pretty awesome too.



lenticular11
Registered: Jul 16, 2011
Total Posts: 672
Country: Australia

Taylor Sherman wrote:
That's really cool. Here's a picture from yesterday, also with some heat shimmer, but due to something else:


DSC00307.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr


You can see the "chop" effect the propeller has had on the heat from the exhaust, then when it hits the wing things get fuzzy.

This is a 100% crop from a hand-held shot with the CV180 on the Nex-7.

That's a great shot!

Sorry to resurrect a photo from pages back, but I'm an irregular browser of this thread now...

...rather than the prop chopping up the flow from the exhaust stubs, what you are probably seeing is a spiral of propeller vortices being shed from the prop tips in relatively humid air. This is caused by pressure drop, hence condensation, in the vortex, the same phenomenon you get with wingtip trails (or fleeting condensation when a fighter aircraft does a high speed pass and some of the flow around the aircraft is transonic).


1       2       3              595      
596
       597              696       697       end