NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/565

1       2       3              565      
       567              715       716       end

sculptormic
Total Posts: 2582

philber wrote:
Lovely shots, Michiel! If only you didn't actively enjoy this sort of funky bokeh!

I love Russian Funk

Thanks you guys!

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6692

A little bit of reprocessing.

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 2271

ebookman
Total Posts: 1356

philber wrote:
The Leica 24 is just such a joy on the NEX.

Does this mean you don't have to fix the corners? If that is the case, exactly which Leica 24mm are you recommending for a Nex?

--Dale

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1750

12mm up close, sooc

ebookman

partitura - philber, I need that 24 Elmar
Michiel - The funky bokeh is like going to the circus, so much to see!
Sebboh - love your B&W processing
perost -- What kind of animal is that in the second picture?
Phillip - That Minolta AF zoom looks good
FlyPenFly - according to the weather reports you could melt down your cameras there by the dam
joanlvh - great close up

The picture below is part of my summer "try anything once" experiments. I was thinking about the funky bokeh and decided to try this: It is a windy day today and the flower garden is in constant motion, so I set the camera on "Anti Motion Blur" mode, hand held. I reasoned that the software would try to stabilize the single object in focus. It did. The camera rapidly fired off eight images which it merged into a composite of the blossom in focus even though it too was moving in the breeeze. The result was a pretty well focused flower and a very "funky bokeh."
Nex 5n - Leica Elmar 50mm with helicoid adapter

zephoto
Total Posts: 253

NEX-6 + ZE50/1.4

CronoDL
Total Posts: 179

This one was taken with an NEX-6 and a Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8 mounted on a Speed Booster.

Fishing by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1599

Not crazy about the photo (super contrasty light and slightly missed focus), but like this guy's T-shirt:

ebookman

CrooDL -- Very nice silhouette and a good image to sell Speed Boosters.

Emacs
Total Posts: 183

partitura wrote:
I'm thinking about selling my Sony/Zeiss 24mm. Now that I have the Leica, the Sony/Zeiss just sits there unused.

That's interesting. Can you describe your preference? Is it DOF scale (well, it's rather distance scale in case of APS-C) that makes this leica a better choice?
I found I also highly prefer my SE 18 over 10-18 (although I don't own it the zoom, just tried a couple of times) and the main reason is the DOF scale (again, distance scale and learned DOF chart for 28mm lens), using AF only for such a wide lens is quite a limitation, since there's no distance information both on the lens and display.

perost
Total Posts: 52

ebookman wrote:
perost -- What kind of animal is that in the second picture?

It's a red panda.

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

A few flowers from my usual - FDn 35/2:

Wildflowers in the rain by specularist, on Flickr

Wild rose by specularist, on Flickr

Wild rose by specularist, on Flickr

partitura
Total Posts: 384

ebookman - about 2/3 of the time I need to fix the corners when using the Leica 24mm Elmar with my Nex 7. I use the Adobe flat field correction within Lightroom. It is easy, and does a good job.

partitura

Emacs wrote:
partitura wrote:
I'm thinking about selling my Sony/Zeiss 24mm. Now that I have the Leica, the Sony/Zeiss just sits there unused.

That's interesting. Can you describe your preference? Is it DOF scale (well, it's rather distance scale in case of APS-C) that makes this leica a better choice?
I found I also highly prefer my SE 18 over 10-18 (although I don't own it the zoom, just tried a couple of times) and the main reason is the DOF scale (again, distance scale and learned DOF chart for 28mm lens), using AF only for such a wide lens is quite a limitation, since there's no distance information both on the lens and display.

It is hard for me to describe. Philippe would probably be better able to explain than me (he has used both, too). On the Leica, everything just seems more clear, with richer colors - especially in the distance. My best images with the Sony/Zeiss 24 were taken closer to the camera.

Of course the experience of using the two lenses is completely different. With the Leica, I am slower in my photography, and this is probably a good thing.

ebookman

partitura wrote:
ebookman - about 2/3 of the time I need to fix the corners when using the Leica 24mm Elmar with my Nex 7. I use the Adobe flat field correction within Lightroom. It is easy, and does a good job.

Is there a tutorial available anywhere to show the process? I use cornerfix but I would like to compare the process.

partitura

ebookman wrote:
partitura wrote:

Is there a tutorial available anywhere to show the process? I use cornerfix but I would like to compare the process.

Here's my little tutorial

1) install the Adobe DNG flat field plugin, available here from Adobe:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroomplugins/

2) Like cornerfix, you need a correction image taken with a white background. - you can probably use the same image you used in cornerfix. However, you will need to convert that image to a DNG. (In Lightroom, switch to the Library module, then from the menu, choose "Library -> Convert Photo to DNG") Remember where this image is in the file system.

3) You also have to convert your target image from its original raw format to DNG.

4) Now you are ready to use the plug in. Stay in the Library module of Lightroom, and with your target image (converted to DNG) selected, choose "File -> Plugin Extras -> Apply External Correction". LR will ask where the correction image is located. Find it in the dialogue box, and choose it. Then LR asks "Color Only" or "Color and Falloff?" I seem to get the best results with "Color Only".

5) After a few seconds, the corrected image will appear (usually next to the original) labeled "image_name_ff.dng".

I have found it easier to use than cornerfix.

Enjoy...

perost
Total Posts: 52

Here's some butterflies with the Contax S-Planar 60/2.8. 60mm is usually a bit short for butterflies, but these ones where strangely docile...

Paul Yi
Total Posts: 5324

Rokkor 21/2.8

CoDaQue
Total Posts: 127

Lalibela (Ethiopia) abstracts:

NEX-5N+CV 15 M+B+W ND1000+Lr4.4

Thanks for looking!

1       2       3              565      
       567              715       716       end