NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/558

1       2       3              558      
       560              702       703       end

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1531

perost wrote:
It seems I'm not the only one who's noticed that spring has finally arrived, judging by all the great shots lately Here's a couple of Anemone hepatica shots of mine, all with the Contax S-Planar 60/2.8 and NEX-7.

nice one, #2 is my favorite

it feels so good to have some fresh colors, daylight and sunshine! so please forgive me for spamming this thread

SirJon
Total Posts: 36

Nothing less than beautiful Phillip

nex5n G45

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1381

nex 7 + Voigt 50mm

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3212

Phillip Reeve

I dont think that person with sense for beauty can complain about too much of your photos.

How you managed to squeeze 3D from 50/1.8 OSS is bit mystery to me..

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

Mescalamba wrote:
Phillip Reeve

I dont think that person with sense for beauty can complain about too much of your photos.

How you managed to squeeze 3D from 50/1.8 OSS is bit mystery to me..

is the 50 OSS not supposed to be good for 3D? it's always looked quite good to me. how do you like the lens phillip?

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1184

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm surprised at how much I'm liking my 50 OSS. Here's a recent one I took with it.

sebboh

Jeff Kott wrote:
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm surprised at how much I'm liking my 50 OSS. Here's a recent one I took with it.

lovely! both the 35 and 50 OSS lenses look like they could be my kind of lenses drawing style wise. i just haven't gotten them because i'm turned off by dealing AF lenses on the NEX.

Jeff Kott

Derek,
I never thought I would like using autofocus on my NEX, but I found it's so much easier than MF when I"m trying to get photos my kid who is rarely still. I almost exclusively use Face Detection mode and I'm surprised at how well it works. Much better than trying to make sure your AF spot is on the eye and not the eye brow.

vdodan
Total Posts: 3

Nex 6 + Konica Hexanon AR 57mm f/1.4

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1531

sebboh wrote:
is the 50 OSS not supposed to be good for 3D? it's always looked quite good to me. how do you like the lens phillip?

Quite a bit.

• Bokeh is super smooth
  • Contrast is quite high, even wide open
  • I havn't shot enough with it to tell you much about the look
  • AF works well for people in face recognition mode, as long as it isn't too dark
  • OSS isn't too effective, maybe two stops. Having it is nice anyway, especially for filming
  • it isn't smaller than most adapted 50's with adapter

• Highfive
    Total Posts: 80

Love those macro shots Phillip, nice work!

Some i took yesterday. Both with kit lens, ND filter, long exposure.

sebboh

Jeff Kott wrote:
    Derek,
    I never thought I would like using autofocus on my NEX, but I found it's so much easier than MF when I"m trying to get photos my kid who is rarely still. I almost exclusively use Face Detection mode and I'm surprised at how well it works. Much better than trying to make sure your AF spot is on the eye and not the eye brow.

yeah, i find AF spot to be unusable. face detection seems much better and is the only AF tech i'm really keeping an eye on. for now i'm still much faster and more accurate manual focusing on people than face detect on the one AF lens i use (sigma 19mm). my big gripe with AF lenses is the poor implementation of manual focus (no way to confine MF assist to a button press).

Phillip Reeve wrote:
    sebboh wrote:

Quite a bit.

• Bokeh is super smooth
  • Contrast is quite high, even wide open
  • I havn't shot enough with it to tell you much about the look
  • AF works well for people in face recognition mode, as long as it isn't too dark
  • OSS isn't too effective, maybe two stops. Having it is nice anyway, especially for filming
  • it isn't smaller than most adapted 50's with adapter

cool, thanks!

a few non-wide open non-portrait shots with the 50 lux pre-asph:

and one wide open portrait :

• philber
    Total Posts: 7520

Really love your second shot, HighFive!
    You nailed it, Derek! Beyond cool!

Jeff Kott

sebboh wrote:
    my big gripe with AF lenses is the poor implementation of manual focus (no way to confine MF assist to a button press).

On my Nex 7, I have the AF/MF button set to AF/MF select hold. I set the AF mode to autofocus (with Face Detection). I let the camera do it's thing, then when I want to use MF with magnification, I just psh the AF/MF button, which shuts off AF, turn the focus ring and I get magnified view. Half press of the shutter gets me out of magnified view to check composition one last time before taking the shot.

sebboh

Jeff Kott wrote:
    sebboh wrote:
    my big gripe with AF lenses is the poor implementation of manual focus (no way to confine MF assist to a button press).

On my Nex 7, I have the AF/MF button set to AF/MF select hold. I set the AF mode to autofocus (with Face Detection). I let the camera do it's thing, then when I want to use MF with magnification, I just psh the AF/MF button, which shuts off AF, turn the focus ring and I get magnified view. Half press of the shutter gets me out of magnified view to check composition one last time before taking the shot.

thanks, my issue is that i don't ever want to use AF and i don't ever want turning the focus ring to activate magnified view, but i do want to be able to activate magnified view at the push of a button.

for static scenes or slow moving adults i usually use magnified liveview, but for shots of my daughter and any kind of quick shooting i like to be able to manual focus without zooming into magnified view.

kevindar
    Total Posts: 2455

once I started using manual focus lenses, I have become more comfortable using manual focus in general. I find certain lenses (like the 55-210) especially have difficulty with autofocus.

photoomaha
    Total Posts: 362

My wife last night on the phone. I just was able to find a Canon FD 24mm f2. Great lens and absolutely perfect on the Nex. I don't feel so drawn to picking up the Zeiss version now!

alwang
    Total Posts: 1045

Lots of great ones on this page. vdodan and highfive, I love both of your second images.

One with the G28:

clutch by alwang, on Flickr

sculptormic
    Total Posts: 1415

Some portraits. (Cross posted in Speedbooster thread)

alan_m
    Total Posts: 231

Did someone say spring, sunshine etc?

Warehouse by specularist, on Flickr

Oh, alright then. MC Rokkor-x PG 50/1.4:

DSC09984 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC09975 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC09963 by specularist, on Flickr

DSC09983 by specularist, on Flickr

1       2       3              558      
           560              702       703       end