NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/555

1       2       3              555      
       557              704       705       end

carstenw
Total Posts: 15968

Is the aperture shape hexagonal wide open?

alwang
Total Posts: 1048

sebboh wrote:

Great portrait! The soft glow is a little like the Jupiter-3, though the lux has much more resolution. Is this near WO?

ebookman
Total Posts: 710

carstenw wrote:

Yes it is.

ebookman

ebookman wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Yes it is.

I have to change that statement. I just took it off camera and looked with a strong light and it looks round. That makes me think it was stopped down.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10711

alwang wrote:
Great portrait! The soft glow is a little like the Jupiter-3, though the lux has much more resolution. Is this near WO?

thanks! it is either wide open or f/2. it has more glow than the j-3 and definitely more resolution. much nicer fine color as well and of course much nicer build. the glow is somehow different than the j-3 too, more like the glow from the rokkor. i'm not sure what it is exactly. perhaps the focus shift goes a different direction or covers more apertures?

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5850

sebboh wrote:
alwang wrote:

thanks! it is either wide open or f/2. it has more glow than the j-3 and definitely more resolution. much nicer fine color as well and of course much nicer build. the glow is somehow different than the j-3 too, more like the glow from the rokkor. i'm not sure what it is exactly. perhaps the focus shift goes a different direction or covers more apertures?

I thought it was uncorrected SA.

Whatever the case, it is a great shot. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you and that lens.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10711

freaklikeme wrote:
sebboh wrote:
alwang wrote:

I thought it was uncorrected SA.

Whatever the case, it is a great shot. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you and that lens.

SA is what causes focus shift, the glow wide open comes rays of light allowed by different apertures being focused at different points. wide open all these differently focused images are overlayed on the image (creating the glow), as you stop down fewer of them are included and the focus point moves. my understanding (which is very limited) is that you can overcorrect it and undercorrect it to varying degrees at different apertures. for example it a typical method for an f/1.4 lens would be to overcorrect wide open and undercorrected at small apertures. it seems to me with both the 35 and 50 lux pre-asph that you have to stop down more than usual to get the glow to be unnoticeable.

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2460

The pigeon shot is great Derek...

Mike

LightShow
Total Posts: 5142

Helios 103 53/1.8 on my 7, (Contax RF mount)
Nice and sharp wide open, rendering is nice, swirlies too if you want them.

CoDaQue
Total Posts: 101

Stroll yesterday night, thank God for Gorilla Pods.

Nex-5N + CV15 M + Lr4.4 + Color Efex 4.

Thanks for looking!

Highfive
Total Posts: 81

Love that Codaque!

Some shots i took on a recent trip to Newcastle UK.

Canon FDn 50mm 1.4:

Kit 18-55mm:

Kit 18-55mm:

kit 18-55mm:

Kit 18-55

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

Highfive, nice work with the kit lens!

Here are a few from the garden. 5N + Nokton 40. All af F2

carstenw
Total Posts: 15968

ebookman wrote:
ebookman wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Yes it is.

I have to change that statement. I just took it off camera and looked with a strong light and it looks round. That makes me think it was stopped down.

If you thought it was wide open, then maybe it just got bumped 1/2 stop down. That would probably be enough to introduce the shape.

Taylor Sherman
Total Posts: 1190

Haleakala Sunset

DSC08366.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC08368.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC08383.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC08388.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC08442_CF.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC08486.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Nex7 +
Elmar 135 x2, ZM50 x2, 21 Super-Elmar x1, ZM50 x1

twelveish
Total Posts: 106

Thanks for the feedback on my airport set.

Jacob D, flower shots seldom do much for me but I love the first two. The last one is great too.

A few photos from a recent trip:
Contax G 45/2

And a few from today, went back for a quick stop at a favorite spot (a cemetery). All with the Zeiss Distagon T* 35/2.8 in C/Y mount. I got a little sloppy with PP, but... it's late.

ebookman

twelveish -- Wonderful sense of depth in the those last four B&W shots. I have a lot to learn.

plasticmotif
Total Posts: 924

funny shot...my kid racing to the front of an imaginary pack.

plasticmotif
Total Posts: 924

wife with static:

Tokina 90

Tokina 90

AhamB
Total Posts: 5075

ebookman wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Yes it is.

If it is, then you probably have a faulty adapter, or you're looking at the lens without the adapter attached to it. Without an adapter (or an FD mount rear cap) mounted to the lens, the aperture closes to what seems to be the f/7.2 position. With the lens on an adapter, the aperture blades should move completely out of the way at f/3.5 (i.e. a perfectly circular opening).

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2460

18mm Distagon and 70-150 Vivitar

Mike

1       2       3              555      
       557              704       705       end