a few b&w shots with the 19mm sigmarit:

alwang
Total Posts: 1048

CV 15:

portal II by alwang, on Flickr

alwang
Total Posts: 1048

Jeff Kott wrote:

As far as focus peaking, it's a great tool if you understand what it is doing. Focus peaking is showing you areas of high contrast, which usually, but not always, are an indication of an area being in focus. To get a high percentage of critically focused shots, I need to use focus peaking often in conjunction with magnified view. I save AF for times when my subject (usually my 8 month old daughter) is moving. When taking these sorts of photos, I've actually become a big fan of face detection AF.

Since this is the image thread, here's one I took with the 35/1.8 using face detection AF. She looks calm and poised, but as anyone with an 8 month old knows, she was only like this for about 1/2 second.

Out of curiosity, do you use AF-C in these situations?

Taylor Sherman
Total Posts: 1190

Summicron-R 35 + Speedbooster:

DSC07278.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

CV 180/4

DSC07327.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

CV 15/4.5

DSC07350_ff.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

21/3.4 Super-Elmar M

DSC07388_CF-2-2.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1220

alwang wrote:
Jeff Kott wrote:

Since this is the image thread, here's one I took with the 35/1.8 using face detection AF. She looks calm and poised, but as anyone with an 8 month old knows, she was only like this for about 1/2 second.

Out of curiosity, do you use AF-C in these situations?

I'm always in AF-S, but my understanding is that AF-C and AF-S on the Nex 7 only differ in that in AF-C the camera will continue to focus even though the shutter is pressed half way. Unless I'm in MF mode, the Nex 7 continuously focuses no matter how I set the camera, so no need for me to go into AF-C.

With my DSLRs, I have always set the camera to AF only when I'm pressing the AF-ON button. The only way I've figured out to control the AF on my NEX 7 is to either be in AF-S mode and half press the shutter to stop focusing or to be in MF mode, set my AF/MF button to hold and then when I press the AF/MF button, the camera will AF and when I don't press, AF is not engaged.

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

sebboh wrote:

That bike really jumps off the page! Nice work. My Sigma 19 collects dust

ebookman
Total Posts: 710

Another beautiful day on the Arizona desert with the Nex 5N

The first three images were taken with the Zeiss Biogen 35mm 2.8 at about F16. I have the Fotodiox Hellicoid adapter on this lens and the third image, the flower, used the close focusing mode of the adapter.

The final two images were unplanned. For all the time I spend on the desert this is the first time I have ever had a close encounter with a rattlesnake. The snake is slightly less than a meter long. I used a Contax g 90 lens.

ebookman

sebboh wrote:

That third image really pops! I have not done B&W since I closed my darkroom thirty years ago. Are you using specialized software or off the shelf software like LR?

sebboh
Total Posts: 10717

Jacob D wrote:
sebboh wrote:

That bike really jumps off the page! Nice work. My Sigma 19 collects dust

thanks, mine mostly does too. i've only taken it out twice, pesky AF lenses. :/

ebookman wrote:
sebboh wrote:

That third image really pops! I have not done B&W since I closed my darkroom thirty years ago. Are you using specialized software or off the shelf software like LR?

thanks, i just use LR for all my shots and i have 6 or so presets that i made that i choose as starting point and then do a little tweaking.

great desert landscapes btw! i'm curious, how come you're shooting at f/16? it seems like you still aren't usually getting the whole scene in focus and i expect f/11 would produce greater contrast and detail in general without much loss of dof.

sebboh

this shot is fantastic!

alwang wrote:
CV 15:

portal II by alwang, on Flickr

ebookman

sebboh wrote:

great desert landscapes btw! i'm curious, how come you're shooting at f/16? it seems like you still aren't usually getting the whole scene in focus and i expect f/11 would produce greater contrast and detail in general without much loss of dof.

I have no really good answer. Maybe I am reacting to the intense sunlight. The Zeiss Biogen is new to me and for some reason I am favoring F16 when I typically shoot landscapes between F8 and F11 with Contax g and Voigtlander lenses. I am not even thinking about it because the lens feels so consistent across the whole range. I will do some testing. Thanks for the heads up.

jovial
Total Posts: 62

Nex-7 Nokton 35 1.4

jovial
Total Posts: 62

Nex-7 CV15

xbarcelo
Total Posts: 601

Jovial, these two images are very nice

ulrikft2
Total Posts: 2104

nex-7 + minolta rokkor 58/1.2

mawz
Total Posts: 8319

Winter's Bench II by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, Nikkor 50/1.8 AI

lumis beans
Total Posts: 214

Love the mono stuff on this page. Nice portrait, ulrikft2.
Mawz, is that a reedit; it has a great glow.

sebboh wrote:
thanks, i just use LR for all my shots and i have 6 or so presets that i made that i choose as starting point and then do a little tweaking.

The blacks in the second are obsidian deep . Very nice. You should brand your preset The M9 Basher.

Few smalls....

sebboh

35 lux pre-asph wide open:

g28:

mawz
Total Posts: 8319

lumis beans wrote:
Love the mono stuff on this page. Nice portrait, ulrikft2.
Mawz, is that a reedit; it has a great glow.

Few smalls....

It is indeed an alternate rendering, the shot worked in both B&W and colour and had a distinctly different feel so I kept the colour version as well as the originally-intended B&W version.

Trees and Path by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, ZA E 24/1.8

1       2       3              548      
       550              704       705       end