NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/544

1       2       3              544      
545
       546              704       705       end

sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10718
Country: United States

random question here: since i know a lot of people on the alt board shoot canon cameras, does anybody have experience with the 70-300mm DO lens and if so have you tried it on a NEX?

i'm thinking of downgrading my leica 350mm that i use for birding to something that is easier to fit in a diaper bag. the canon is certainly compact and seems reasonably sharp with a good MF ring (for an AF lens). anybody ever tried one?

also, a picture with the leica:




alwang
Registered: Sep 02, 2011
Total Posts: 1048
Country: United States

Sony 35:


one-armed by alwang, on Flickr



mawz
Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Total Posts: 8319
Country: Canada


Purple Rain by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, Nikkor 50/1.8 AI



xbarcelo
Registered: Nov 04, 2010
Total Posts: 601
Country: Spain

sebboh wrote:
random question here: since i know a lot of people on the alt board shoot canon cameras, does anybody have experience with the 70-300mm DO lens and if so have you tried it on a NEX?

i'm thinking of downgrading my leica 350mm that i use for birding to something that is easier to fit in a diaper bag. the canon is certainly compact and seems reasonably sharp with a good MF ring (for an AF lens). anybody ever tried one?


I would recommend the Sony 70-300 G, which is stellar and has a very large focusing ring. Since it's a Sony lens, you'd have control over its aperture via the ea-la1 or 2. In particulat the la1 would be a lot cheaper than the canon chipped adapter.



photoomaha
Registered: Feb 14, 2005
Total Posts: 365
Country: United States

That 70-300 Canon lens wouldn't be a bad idea. It is compact and has some very solid image characteristics. The only downside is price. It seems really expensive to me. I have the 75-300 non-USM zoom, it can produce some great images for a lot less. I do like your idea though, that might be a great telephoto option for NEX.



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15971
Country: Germany

sebboh wrote:
random question here: since i know a lot of people on the alt board shoot canon cameras, does anybody have experience with the 70-300mm DO lens and if so have you tried it on a NEX?


I used to own this lens, and didn't like it that much. It had low contrast, the sharpness wasn't fantastic, and the onion rings had some kind of effect on the boke. It was in 2006, on a 5D, so it isn't clear in my mind, but I would recommend looking at the normal zoom instead.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10718
Country: United States

xbarcelo wrote:
sebboh wrote:
random question here: since i know a lot of people on the alt board shoot canon cameras, does anybody have experience with the 70-300mm DO lens and if so have you tried it on a NEX?

i'm thinking of downgrading my leica 350mm that i use for birding to something that is easier to fit in a diaper bag. the canon is certainly compact and seems reasonably sharp with a good MF ring (for an AF lens). anybody ever tried one?


I would recommend the Sony 70-300 G, which is stellar and has a very large focusing ring. Since it's a Sony lens, you'd have control over its aperture via the ea-la1 or 2. In particulat the la1 would be a lot cheaper than the canon chipped adapter.


my primary interest in the canon is the compact size when retracted and IBIS. it seems like the sony is a fair bit bigger, though i have heard it is a very good performer. the sony adapter doesn't seem that much cheaper than the canon ones (excluding the speedbooster one).

carstenw wrote:
I used to own this lens, and didn't like it that much. It had low contrast, the sharpness wasn't fantastic, and the onion rings had some kind of effect on the boke. It was in 2006, on a 5D, so it isn't clear in my mind, but I would recommend looking at the normal zoom instead.


thanks carsten, that's disappointing to hear. perhaps i should rent it to see if it can work for me. at this point i'm more concerned with size than iq. i'm generally pretty happy with my 350mm but i never use it due to space and time constraints. having something that is the size of a 85/1.4 would make the space constraint at least much less of an issue. that said, my use of the lens would be wide open at 300mm 90% of the time. if it isn't decently sharp at those settings it's not much use to me. if it had some troubles on a 5d i have a lot of doubts as to how it would perform on a NEX-7. my idea is that i would use this for the time being while i save for a 280/4 apo (hopefully i should have more free time in another couple of years too). perhaps i should look more at other compact options...

oh, and some pictures for the picture thread (crossposted from the leica thread):






taran
Registered: Mar 02, 2012
Total Posts: 393
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
random question here: since i know a lot of people on the alt board shoot canon cameras, does anybody have experience with the 70-300mm DO lens and if so have you tried it on a NEX?

i'm thinking of downgrading my leica 350mm that i use for birding to something that is easier to fit in a diaper bag. the canon is certainly compact and seems reasonably sharp with a good MF ring (for an AF lens). anybody ever tried one?

also, a picture with the leica:




I doubt this will allay your size considerations, but the Nikkor 300 4.5 Ai-s is a plastic bodied, stubbier (and of course shorter FL) lens that weighs a lot less than the Leica (although that is merely a guess). Before going the AF canon route, I would consider this lens. There are also MD rokkor 300mm 4.5's out there I would also consider first. Basically, I find the manual focus feel to be a lot better than a AF lens forced to MF, so that would be a big consideration for me too. Good luck with your choice.



serhan_
Registered: May 08, 2006
Total Posts: 443
Country: United States

Nex-5n w/ Zeiss 24mm 1.8






Nex-5 w/ Contax g Zeiss 90mm 2.8






sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10718
Country: United States

taran wrote:
I doubt this will allay your size considerations, but the Nikkor 300 4.5 Ai-s is a plastic bodied, stubbier (and of course shorter FL) lens that weighs a lot less than the Leica (although that is merely a guess). Before going the AF canon route, I would consider this lens. There are also MD rokkor 300mm 4.5's out there I would also consider first. Basically, I find the manual focus feel to be a lot better than a AF lens forced to MF, so that would be a big consideration for me too. Good luck with your choice.


yeah, i'd definitely prefer a manual focus lens, but for a serious size reduction i'd be willing to make an exception (as long as it's usable). i'll have to look at the dimensions of all the 300/4-4.5 lenses as well as the modern 70-300mm zooms. i think the pentax 300/4 is the smallest of the manual focus primes but i've no idea how it performs. i'm kinda biased against pentax and nikon because of the focus direction...

anyway, b&w shot with the 35 lux pre-asph:




xbarcelo
Registered: Nov 04, 2010
Total Posts: 601
Country: Spain

OK, I guess I need to back my claim with some images (all of the with the Sony NEX 5N, the LA-EA2 and the Sony 70-300G):



























sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10718
Country: United States

xbarcelo wrote:
OK, I guess I need to back my claim with some images (all of the with the Sony NEX 5N, the LA-EA2 and the Sony 70-300G):


any 100% crops?

bokeh looks quite distracting at longer focal lengths, but i guess that is typically the way of things with tele-zooms?

a couple more from the R 350:






xbarcelo
Registered: Nov 04, 2010
Total Posts: 601
Country: Spain

100% crops:












2 and 4 are actually very close to 100% crops


Mescalamba
Registered: Jul 06, 2011
Total Posts: 3301
Country: Czech Republic

You cant replace Leica with anything else..



ebookman
Registered: Jul 15, 2012
Total Posts: 710
Country: United States

Three shots with Nex 5N and RE, Auto-Topcor 135mm F3.5 wide open.



joakim
Registered: Apr 06, 2008
Total Posts: 1537
Country: Sweden

I got my NEX-6 a week ago and I am slowly coming to turns with it, my idea with this camera is to mainly use it with my Leica M mount lenses.

Three photos from today where spring is as late as the Leica M240 First with Leica 90 Elmarit and then two with the 24 Elmar ASPH



roboticspro
Registered: Aug 12, 2010
Total Posts: 1890
Country: United States

Hi,

Cross-post from Alt Flowers...

The Mayflowers (Trailing Arbutus) are pushing up to the sun...Spring is here in CT...

Two with the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro (72b), and two with the Canon FDn 200mm f4 Macro on the 5n.

Happy Easter & Passover to everyone...

Regards,

Edd



Mescalamba
Registered: Jul 06, 2011
Total Posts: 3301
Country: Czech Republic

joakim really like that last one, strong sense of depth in that one.



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15971
Country: Germany

sebboh wrote:
thanks carsten, that's disappointing to hear. perhaps i should rent it to see if it can work for me. at this point i'm more concerned with size than iq. i'm generally pretty happy with my 350mm but i never use it due to space and time constraints.


The 70/300 DO isn't a bad lens, it just isn't all that impressive, especially for the money. Why not pick up one of the many excellent 70-200/4 lenses, and a TC1.4x?



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10718
Country: United States

xbarcelo wrote:
100% crops:

2 and 4 are actually very close to 100% crops


that first crop looks very nice, the other 3 pictures all look like they are slightly misfocused.

Mescalamba wrote:
You cant replace Leica with anything else..


my original plan was to downgrade my 350mm telyt to the 250mm telyt plus 1.4x teleconverter. i haven't been able to find any reasonably priced ones though (people seem to be asking the same amount i would get for selling my 350). then i got to thinking the 250/4 and various 300/4s aren't that much smaller, how much difference would it really make.

carstenw wrote:
sebboh wrote:
thanks carsten, that's disappointing to hear. perhaps i should rent it to see if it can work for me. at this point i'm more concerned with size than iq. i'm generally pretty happy with my 350mm but i never use it due to space and time constraints.


The 70/300 DO isn't a bad lens, it just isn't all that impressive, especially for the money. Why not pick up one of the many excellent 70-200/4 lenses, and a TC1.4x?


because those 70-200/4 lenses + 1.4x TC are nearly as big, slower, and probably worse performing with the exception of CA than my current lens. the idea is to cut size so i carry the lens more. any of the 70-200mm lenses are twice the length of the 70-300 DO before you even add the TC, plus they are also more expensive.
70-300mm DO: 9.91cm
70-200mm f/4 canikon: ~17.5cm
70-300mm DG OS sigma: 12.65cm
70-300mm G sony: 13.54
70-300mm IS USM canikon: 14.22cm
55-300mm DA pentax: 11.18cm
300/4 L IS canon: 22.10cm
350/4.8 leica: 27.5mm



1       2       3              544      
545
       546              704       705       end