Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4104

1       2       3              4104      
       4106              5889       5890       end

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9316

And I'm sure it was your wife's most terrifying time too, along with the wait to find out what was going on. Glad it was resolved successfully and that luck was on your side.

henry albert wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Egads, never thought of this thread as dangerous to health. I too had a close call this year . . .

Me, too. Back in May my wife and I were cruising in her new V-Dub Turbo Bug convertible (she was driving) when I suffered the first seizure of my life. It was a big one, I'm told, severe enough to create compression fractures in my back as I strained against the seat belts. The search for a cause revealed a golf ball-sized tumor just inside the bone covering my frontal lobe. Had n idea it was there -- the seizure was my first symptom. The tumor was an easy fix -- as brain surgery goes, I guess -- but the seizure had caused brain swelling that did some minor damage. That and my busted back resulted in a five-week hospital stay and my ongoing recovery at home.

But I've always been a lucky SOB and my luck held true. I wasn't driving. My wife stayed cool and called for an ambulance as soon as she could pull over. The paramedics were experienced and knew my brain was swelling, which meant the clock was ticking on the quality of the rest of my life. They quickly got me out of the car, onto a back board and to a hospital that was only three miles away. The ER docs immediately went to work on the swelling and kept it to a minimum. And the tumor was benign.

NightOwl Cat

The end of my PT for the rotator cuff involved throwing a ball at a pitchback net 50 times. The first time, they handed me the ball and I didn't note what size it was. The second time I go in, I pick up a ball I think is right, and start tossing it at the net, throwing and catching like a seasoned baseball player would. People would wait for me to catch it before walking behind me, until they realized that I was throwing perfectly and not missing a catch.

Turns out I was also using the wrong sized ball, I was supposed to be using the 1 pound ball, but I was tossing the 4 pound ball instead

Ken Hill wrote:
deang001 wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Egads, never thought of this thread as dangerous to health. I too had a close call this year, but fortunately had nothing more than some nasty bruises. Take care Dean, and follow the PT they give you.

deang001 wrote:

Hey Leighton.

The OOF areas in that image don't look too bad. Wide open it looks very good actually ... may be a different story on film though. The 28/2.8 has a great rep ... never had one but I love my 28/2. I find the way it renders the OOF areas really nice.

I'm a bit over "people type street shots" atm and I also injured my achilles. Getting an operation next week which will see me out of action for a while unfortunately.
p

Thanks and thanks Ken too ... will follow my PT for sure.

PT is an experience all right! The nice petite lady who is in charge of my care is 65, is a hundred pounds lighter and foot shorter than me. She bends my ankle and knee like a "pro wrestler" and has me down for a "3" count. But you got to listen!

NightOwl Cat

Wow, I haven't seen one of those in a while, used to pass one heading south as I was heading north to work as a tech support rep.

rafaelcasd wrote:
20mm UD at 3.5

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D800 Crusing Grand 2014 September VW Things by Rafael CA, on Flickr

cadman342001
Total Posts: 4465

Some boats for Georg

1. The Pacific Endeavour Bay
20/3.5 @ 3.5, 1/1000, iso100

_DSC2429-Edit by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

2. Former Naval Patrol Boat. Passing cyclist told me this as he used to work on them and sure enough you could see the number painted over on the stern

_DSC2421 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

3. Tug. The massive mine trucks old tyres being up-cycled here. This tug had had a fresh lick of paint and was looking pretty schmick !

_DSC2424 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

4. Selfie !

_DSC2435 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

Great macro shot Andy

More testing with 16mm f3.5 Ai
so it seems it perform better on the D700 than Sony A7 due sensor reflection on A7

Nikkor 16mm f3.5 AI fisheye by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

pburke
Total Posts: 3008

asiostygius wrote:
pburke wrote:
Jose, great "77mm" lens.

Question about the TC-16a - mine stopped working after the camera came back with new firmware. I vaguely recall that there is a setting in the camera that needs changing for it to work/ Too lazy to google it, because I bet you know the answer. I just get a "F-err" every time I mount it.

Peter, I am lazy too, so copy and paste from the seller I bought my copy:
2. Go to Custom Setting Menu/f Controls/f5(f9 on D700) Command Dials/Aperture Setting/Aperture Ring, select OK, then:

Jose, item 2 on the list was what was not in place on my D600 after Nikon updated the firmware following the shutter replacement. All is well again, I can use my TC-16a again. For a moment I thought I broke it with my Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8, which always is very difficult to mount or unmounts.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great macro shot Andy

More testing with 16mm f3.5 Ai
so it seems it perform better on the D700 than Sony A7 due sensor reflection on A7

Nikkor 16mm f3.5 AI fisheye by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Just Beautiful Ronny!

pburke

More Alfas for the Alfa fans. I am more of a Mini guy, but I know what you mean when you say how you forget about maintenance and other woes when the car is huge fun to drive. I've always driven Toyotas, compared to which my Mini is just a troublesome basket case and high maintenance vehicle, but when you drive it it is all forgotten (until it cuts at full throttle in the middle of the Utah desert going up a mountain grade... but then you make up again and it remains the funnest car you ever owned). At least the Minis don't depreciate as fast as they accelerate (quote Jeremy Clarkson about the Alfa 166)

I bet the Alfas seen at Road America are also from the days when the electronics were still installed by a "toddler group" (James May about older Alfas), yet they did make it to the end of their 20 minute feature race without breaking down:

300mm f/4.5 EDIF AI
f/22.0 1/100s ISO 100

Speedy Alfa

and the same lens at f/32.0 1/50s ISO 100 (and no sensor spots to worry about - that new shutter works)

Alfa Romeo blurring by

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Give yourself hope and the best chance for lasting recovery.

The Betty Ford Center phone number for all ADDICTS to put in their speed dial systems 888-741-9842

Rafael should get in first .... he seems to have the most advanced form of problem

For all his addiction he does take great pictures .... and uses only the best equipment !!

Love the split window Vette ..... and quite a few others too ....

Ronny, some gorgeous work on the 16mm .... I see you have the same problem as the UK at the moment ... featureless sky

Andy ..... nice selfie .... and great boats ....

Samy .... nice F2 shelfie

While we are on the subject of institutions - University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) taken on the D700 with 28mm f2.8 (I still love that camera)

4110c UMIST by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

Through the Entrance into the Quad

4151c UMIST quad by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

4152c UMIST quad by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

Looking out of the quad to the Faculty of Arts

4149c UMIST quad by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

On the right is the Whitworth Hall behind the Christie Building ... lots of science history here !!

4158c UMIST Christie bldg by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

Steve

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Peter .... you watch far too much 'Top Gear"

Me too ....!!!

Love the Alfas, that GTV Spyder is gorgeous .....

The GTV I owned had what must be the most reliable engine they ever produced, the 3.0ltr 24v with 6 speed box, what a driving machine that was. Sold it after it had done 150k miles and it still did 150mph +

Got a 3.2 ltr GT to replace it as I needed more luggage space, but nice and reliable as it was it was never the driving car that the GTV was ...

Plenty of comments about how pretty it was though .....

Happy days

Steve

pburke

And another proper Italian car seen through the big lens, crisp late afternoon light in September, all spot on. Have to constantly fight the saturation of that darn Ferrari red when processing these things. I'll save you yet another fire shot of its rear, as I have a dozen of them and the best ones have been posted already The front is pretty cool, too. Note the American touch of duct tape on front air inlet.

600mm f/4.0 AIS at f/8.0 1/1000s ISO 100

Ferrari 333 SP in Turn 6

Joseph.
Total Posts: 3594

saph wrote:
Some day yet I will get beyond counter top photography. But in the meanwhile here's a combo that wanted to pose for a snap.

Nikon F2S (circa 1976) with an early version PC-Nikkor 35mm f2.8 (circa 1972) mounted.

NikonF2S+35_2_8_PC by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Photo taken with 85 1.8HC ("Nikki's sister") and D800.

Richard De Stoutz's page on the second (and last) scalloped ring variant of the PC-Nikkor 35 2.8, which was produced from 1972 to 1975.
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_35mm_f2.8_871979.html

What a beautiful, finely crafted machine! Love the old school look.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

One from downtown Disney using the 135mm 2.0 AIS

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8409

asiostygius wrote:

And have I told you guys that only white beards are allowed at this thread?

Good thing I'm qualified

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

16 2.8 on the B/S board

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1313213

Reagan

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

180 2.8 ais :

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1471

A lot of great shooting this week.

Andy, hope the knees are feeling better.

Leighton, congrats on your award.

Ken, impressive hard wear. You've got the ankle of an Indycar driver.

Dean, good luck with the achilles surgery.

Here are a couple quick ones with the 180/2.8 and a PK-13 tube.

Cheers,
Jeff

nampramos
Total Posts: 1064

Hello everyone! I have been gone for a while, I know...

Back in Sweden, back in business!

Here's some from my last days in Portugal.

Nikkor 35/1.4 AIS (EXIF says 85/1.4 though).

DSE_0403.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

DSE_0398.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

DSE_0393.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

DSE_0386.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Reagan wrote:
16 2.8 on the B/S board

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1313213

Reagan

You'll need the rear filter for infinity focus for this one.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

Couple more from my resent trip to the Bay area.

First is our fearless leader Curtis and his partner Sue. Curtis, she is a keeper for sure! One of the sweetest women I have ever met.

Shot taken with the Nikkor-HC 28/3.5. The lighting was extremely varied in the room, but I still like how this came out.

_DSC0612 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Second is my wife laughing at what someone said in the room. I know the arms are blurry, but the shot is more about the emotion. Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 @ f/2. I loved the light in this room. So incredibly warm. I would have shot in here all day if I could.

_DSC0495 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

1       2       3              4104      
       4106              5889       5890       end