Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4100

1       2       3              4100      
       4102              5884       5885       end

cadman342001
Total Posts: 4455

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Andy... I'll take it as a given that unless you say otherwise you're shooting with the 105 f/2.8, PN-11 and PK-13. Pretty sweet setup. I've generally not given too much thought to the 105 micro lenses but then I don't do the kind of macro shooting you and Jose share with us. Wonderful work. You have real talent for this... though I enjoy your work without tubes as well. Keep em coming... it will aid in your recovery.

Haha, thanks.

The 105 gives me more working distance than my other micro, the 55/3.5. The focus ring is a little stiff but with the macro work I just set it to MFD (0.41m on the scale) so it's not relevant, nor is the focus lock knob that comes with this lens. The 55 apart from having less WD also is a little loose focus ring wise so really needs a CLA but nowhere in Cairns to do that

Both lenses have a little fungus growing in them too - my fault for not being vigilant enough, it happens really quickly here in the wet season unless you are careful. Such a pity cos the 105 is otherwise mint but at least it means I won't / can't sell either of them

I would imagine the 105 would work fine for work other than macro and is very sharp but when you can buy a 105/2.5 why would you bother ? (the 105 micro costs considerably more - I think I paid $500 for mine in as new condition from Japan) and I have a 105/2.5 P coming for that which is good cos I can leave the macro rig intact - just remove it from the camera and store it when I'm using the camera for other stuff.

Andy

cadman342001

On the subject of the 85/1.4, the copy I have doesn't seem to focus at infinity. It's like the focus ring just won't quite go far enough. I'm assuming it should and that someone has messed up the infinity stop when doing a CLA.

Would that be correct ?

Incidentally, I have also bought a Rokinon 14mm with AE chip for astro work. I'm so so sorry !
I was hoping to get a nikkor 16/3.5 but seems that they are like Hen's Teeth and the Rok was $250 used.

Andy

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Welcome Andrew... Nice to see that you FINALLY created a kit that would allow you to join us...

A Df with a few classic Nikkor lenses will take you far and guarantee you an appearance in this court Mr. Lawman... But we're a friendly bunch so it will be a pleasure to have a few photos from the Central Valley. I'll call you Andrew simply to make it easier since we already have an Andy on board... cadman 342001 who hails from Australia. Welcome and when you've had a bit more time with the Df I for one would love to hear your opinion of the camera with these old lenses mounted.

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

cadman342001 wrote:
On the subject of the 85/1.4, the copy I have doesn't seem to focus at infinity. It's like the focus ring just won't quite go far enough. I'm assuming it should and that someone has messed up the infinity stop when doing a CLA.

Would that be correct ?

Incidentally, I have also bought a Rokinon 14mm with AE chip for astro work. I'm so so sorry !
I was hoping to get a nikkor 16/3.5 but seems that they are like Hen's Teeth and the Rok was $250 used.

Andy

no idea about the 85mm f/1.4- I have a Rokinon 85mm and barely use it, so no reason to ever buy the expensive Nikon. I also have the 14mm Rokinon to supplement the 16mm f/3.5 - great combo of lenses and very different character. Good price, too.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I'm with you about working distance Andy. And, yes, I'm a person with an assortment of 105mm lenses when I want to mount an extension tube. Of course, I also use tubes with a 135mm or 180mm lens. But as i said I'm not trying to do classical macro work of the sort you prefer. I think you'll love the 105 f/2.5 P. It is a beautiful lens and the Sonnar design yields first rate images.

Since you're somewhat limited in movement because of your mishap, you might consider opening up the 55 and cleaning it yourself. There are a number of sites with instructions on taking these lenses apart to clean them. Kevin recently mentioned taking apart a lens he'd been given by Peter that was filled with water. He cleaned everything inside the lens with ammonia, put it back together and is having a blast with it. He showed me the well traveled lens and it looked great. Given that you don't have a technician in the area who can do the job for you, this might be a skill worth developing... a thought...

asiafish
Total Posts: 439

CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Andrew... Nice to see that you FINALLY created a kit that would allow you to join us...

A Df with a few classic Nikkor lenses will take you far and guarantee you an appearance in this court Mr. Lawman... But we're a friendly bunch so it will be a pleasure to have a few photos from the Central Valley. I'll call you Andrew simply to make it easier since we already have an Andy on board... cadman 342001 who hails from Australia. Welcome and when you've had a bit more time with the Df I for one would love to hear your opinion of the camera with these old lenses mounted.

Its an easy camera to get comfortable with. I shot a Minolta SLR back in the late 70s and a Nikon FM2 and F3 in the late 90s. More recently the Leica M Monochrom is baby, and the Df is just a natural extension of the way I'm used to working. I tried a Canon 6D last year and while I loved the IQ, I hated UI. The Df had a bit of learning curve to set it up, but once configured its like an old friend.

What really impressed me was how easy manual focusing is, even at 105mm with thin depth of field. The digital rangefinder isn't even needed, though its visible in peripheral vision. I think the use of a true pentaprism makes all the difference here as it is very bright and contrasty, even in poor indoor light focus just pops.

My only complaint is not related to vintage lenses but to modern ones (other than the older D series). Why, oh why didn't Nikon put a dial AROUND the lens mount like so many advanced point-and-shoots now have. THAT would have given us a true aperture ring on G lenses, instead of that uncomfortable front abomination of a dial we have on the Df (I swapped my dial positions right away).

Programming AI lens parameters was easy, though I'll probably forget to switch them when working quickly (I mapped lens profile to the front FN button).

I'll actually not have my two vintage lenses for a few weeks as they are both off tomorrow for full CLA and re-lube. I did buy a full suite of AF primes though, including the magnificent 58mm f/1.4G which has far more character than any other modern lens I've ever played with.

cadman342001

Welcome Andrew !

Andy

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2483

deang001 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
deang001 wrote:
Hello. Long time no visit

I have a question if that's OK.

Finally started to use my FM2 again and am not that happy with my Series E 35/2.5 at wider apertures. For street it's OK as I'm always around f/8 and it's plenty sharp, but for general wandering around and taking pics, I'd like to shoot near wide open more and it's really not up to scratch as far as sharpness and contrast go.

I want to buy another 35mm lens and I'm thinking either the 35/2 Ai-S or the 35/1.4 Ai-S. From what I have read the 34/1.4 is phenomenal but the 35/2 is so slouch either. The 35/2 seems to be sharp and contrasty but not as much as the 35/1.4 at any aperture. The one thing I don't like about the 35/1.4 is that nervous way it renders the background and from what I have read on Naturfotograf, the 35/2 seems to have a smooth rendering of the background when used open wide. I'm hoping the same sort of look to the out of focus areas the 28/2 Ai-S gives wide open which I think is beautiful.

Has anyone had direct experience with these two lenses? Does the 34/1.4 only display this nervous bokeh wide open? Does it get smoother as you close down to f/2 or f/2.8?

And with regards to the 35/2, just how far behind the 35/1.4 is it in terms of sharpness and contrast?

I'm guessing the 35/1.4 is kind of like a 35mm version of my 50/1.2 in terms of performance which is sensational, however it's just that nervous bokeh I see that is holding me back and making me think of the 35/2.

Anyway, here's one from the 35/2.5 series E shot at f/8 on my FM2 with Portra 400. Scanned on my new Nikon LS-50 Plenty sharp at f/8 but not so good wide open.

Link to full size image (Nikon scanner is amazing !!)

FM2 - 11 - Portra 400 - (1 of 1) by Dean G1, on

Hey Dean, good to see you on here again. I've been following you on FB so I don't miss your wonderful street shots of HK.

I have the 28mm f2.8 AIS and the 35mm f1.4 AIS. The 28 seems to have consistently "smoother" bokeh than the 35. But it really depends on what's in the background when shooting the 35 that determines how the OOF areas will be rendered. Here's a shot from the other evening using the 35 wide open. As you can see, the OOF area is rather pleasing, at least to my eye. I am finding that I like the FL, contrast and color rendering of the 35mm over the 28mm better. YMMV.

Stop by more often, don't be a stranger!

SDDA meeting by T. Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Hey Leighton.

The OOF areas in that image don't look too bad. Wide open it looks very good actually ... may be a different story on film though. The 28/2.8 has a great rep ... never had one but I love my 28/2. I find the way it renders the OOF areas really nice.

I'm a bit over "people type street shots" atm and I also injured my achilles. Getting an operation next week which will see me out of action for a while unfortunately.

May you heal well Dean.

rafaelcasd

Congratulations to Ken Hill on his recuperation and on driving that red Vette again! (Jealous).

To celebrate this I will post a few pictures from work, we are celebrating Hispanic History month, therefore we had some Latin American Folk dancers highlighting local dances from Brazil, Mexico and Puerto Rico.

Used the 35 1.4 with the D3, so you will not be fully able to appreciate the sharpness of the lens on the full size flickr copies.

NIKON NIKKOR 35 1.4 ais D3 Hispanic History Month 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

NIKON NIKKOR 35 1.4 ais D3 Hispanic History Month by Rafael CA, on Flickr

NIKON NIKKOR 35 1.4 ais D3 Hispanic History Month 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

rafaelcasd

A sample of the goodness of the 18mm 3.5 ais on D800.

nikon nikkor 18mm 3.5 ais D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8396

A few last ones from this weeks Camp Muir climb

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Rafael, the "Expeditionary Warfare Center"-lettering behind the beauties made me smile. Time for a pacifistic guy like me to convert?

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Rafael .... that reflection in the pond with a view is wonderful .... great use of the 18mm

and there you go with all those girls again ... theatre must run through your veins ...

btw .... I did know you were jesting about hiding your addiction ....

but I still think that Betty Ford Clinics are missing a trick with all of us lot here ....

John .... you are right about it being wrong ..... to have a paved trail into the mountains ...

That's not sportsmanlike .... but I can see how it saves the legs for a few miles !!

Carl ... nice couple of shots ... love the balancing leaf !!

Ric ... does that mean that they have supermarkets for El Camino's over there .... wow ... it must be big !!

And who knew that I had a drink drive-in ... the problem with drinking and driving is that you often spill it due to bumps in the road !!

Peter .... what's not to like about Alfa Romeo's .... I love that manufacturer .... proper petrol heads drive Alfa's

And that Morgan Matchless three-wheeler is to die for ... great car !!

Ken .... I can see why you get in and out of the Vette in the garage .... not a good look with the chair and the stick ... the neighbours will make comments !! ..... nice shots Ray !!

Steve

leighton w
Total Posts: 12614

Andy - I have really been enjoying your macro work. The colors and OOF areas are great!

Steve - The train station reminds me of the one in Staunton where our market is. I love the shot of the railroad worker sitting on the bench.

Jay - Your night shots have been a real treat, very nice use of light in them.

Ray - That purple flower with the green BG is a stunner! I also love your documentary with Ken and Reagan. Is that sweat I see on Reagan? About time he worked one up!

Dean - Good luck with your achilles surgery. I had problems with mine last year, but I seem to have it somewhat under control. BTW, I love the color coming out of that Fuji film, very nice.

Georg - That is one rangy looking bird. Good shot though.

Andrew - Welcome, always nice to have another join us.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3287

asiafish wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
)

My only complaint is not related to vintage lenses but to modern ones (other than the older D series). Why, oh why didn't Nikon put a dial AROUND the lens mount like so many advanced point-and-shoots now have. THAT would have given us a true aperture ring on G lenses, ....

Agree 1000%,
and welcome to the NMFG thread!

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Thanks Leighton.

While I was at the MOSI I went into the aircraft section too ...

Seems we have a few aircraft/spacecraft fans here .....

MOSI is not as good as Smithsonian or others .... but they have a few interesting craft ...

This de Havilland DH-89A Dragon Rapide is housed there after extensive restoration .... this craft was built around 1934/35 manufacturer number 6278 seating 9 passengers flight registration G-ADAH, and is reported to be the first commercial aircraft to have landed at Manchesters Ringway Airport in 1938, (now Manchester International Airport)

4091c DH Dragon Rapide ADAH by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

They also have a proto-type English Electric P1A, built 1955, which became the EE Lightning jet used by many air forces world wide, as a great supersonic 1.53 mach war plane. Carrying the registration WG 763, it is the second pro to-type built and first flew on 18th July 1955. Even in full production this must have been some wild experience for any pilot to fly, its would have been like strapping in two jet engine and riding in the top towards the front ... POWER .....

4089c EE Lightning P1A 1955 by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

Here are a couple of more peaceful shots again ... a Trident 3B flown by British Europen Airways (BEA), later British Airways after the amalgamation with BOAC, like the Boeing 727 this was a three engined jet for medium haul flight distances.

This is the flight deck

4083c Trident Flightdeck by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

If that is not confusing enough, imagine being an electrical engineer trying to trace a fault through the wiring loom ....

4085c Trident Loom by Steve of phnart, on Flickr

Steve

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 1117

Another day in Paradise ...

The car shots are astounding and worthy of publication. Great to see and much enjoyed.

Jose thanks for the CPL comparison. I rarely give mine a thought because of the PP possibilities.

Jay the lens shortage in C/FL is due to the convergence of MF glass on the west coast. We are mere beginners here. Nice shot too!

George Thanks for the kind words!

Ray some coverage of the "big event" send me some jpg's so I can send them to the kids and friends.

Dean ... ouch! Too many injuries being reported. Let's do what the government does and not report them that way we'll all feel better! Get well...

Samy thanks ...

Ric the Red Vette needs to see the Pacific and I need to be in it. (Car and ocean!)

Scott thanks for the comments! Reagan will buy you lobster if you show him how to eat it like a Maniac!

Andrew welcome and nice example of the Df sensor. Good looking family I presume !

Curtis .... the display came about because of your distaste for the D800 and the table behind my computer had Ray's D610, a D700, D800, Df and V1. The conclusion you came to was observed by us and the results of passing the cameras around is that you may be happy with the Df. How's that for scientific!

Raphael. how can I saw thanks. Driving the Vette after more than 4 months was GOAL. Thanks for the work shots ... gorgeous gals! (By the way you are aware you have a picture of a FORD in the background!) CVN78

Steve - heck with the neighbors. The car lives in the garage. Great shots and vintage A/C is always a favorite. We also took the "wheel chair" and walker out of the Tahoe yesterday. No going back. The stick .... hospital supplied "old mans" walking cane $39. Sporting goods walking stick (with a compass in the top) $19 ... a no brainer.

For the trip to North Carolina a light load is the goal. Thinking the Df, 16 fisheye, 28 2.8, 50mm 1.2, 105mm2.5 and the 200F4. Thoughts!?/

henry albert
Total Posts: 707

Closed . . . with extreme prejudice.

henry albert
Total Posts: 707

pburke:

Alfa made some of the most beautiful cars in the world. I especially loved the GTV. Unfortunately, they were/are some of the world's most unreliable cars. But, just like old Triumph motorcycles, they always looked good sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Henry, very nice demolition-shot ;-) "Drive-Thru" taken seriously Welcome and I agree about your Alfa-statement.

1       2       3              4100      
       4102              5884       5885       end