Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4088

1       2       3              4088      
       4090              5892       5893       end

giag
Total Posts: 136

Yes the 85 1.4 is great. But I've heard the 1.8 and 2.0 have less distortion. and both are still bokeh machines. I am targeting the 2.0 I think in my 85 quest. Mainly for price. and weight. I like keeping the machine smallish.

Similar lens might bet he 100 2.5 (2.8?) series E. Also very very small. not as sharp as the 105 2.5 but such a compact lens!

giag

leighton, what camera/film is that. Nice work!

giag

re: flowers in my eyes

Maybe crop it down to just the eyes! I missed it for a bit. And it takes the scary away so you can, once you realize what you are seeing, go wow!

giag

I wanted to add as a 50 1.2 user, what the 50 1.2 does is give you some chance to play with the chromatic errors of the lens, like coma and flares that bounce 4 or 5 times inside the lens. This happens when there is one bright light source like a lamp or candle flame. I find these unexpected results interesting.

CGrindahl wrote:
David, I own four 50mm primes including the 50 f/1.2 AI-s, 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI, 50 f/1.8 AI-s and 50 f/2 H.C. AI. They are all excellent lenses. You've read what Rafael has to say from his vast experience shooting with lenses at this focal length. His collection at 50 and 55mm is rather breathtaking, in fact.

From my perspective, the appeal of the 55 f/1.2 has less to do with sharpness wide open than how a lens that fast renders out of focus areas. For me there is something magical about shooting wide open with an f/1.2 lens and between the 50 and 55 I like bokeh with the 55 better. But it isn't a cheap lens, so whether it makes sense to add one to your kit is all about shooting style, personal preference and discretionary resources. Of course, some of the magic for me with the 55 came into perspective with my eventual discovery of the beauty of scalloped focusing rings. That is a totally different metric having nothing to do with sharpness or bokeh...

Happy shopping David...

giag

I agree, I'm liking that DF output a lot. when they dont have soo many pixels so squished they seem to do good things. But that 810 is also looking nice to me right now if I ever get some mooolah

the solitaire wrote:

Ken Hill wrote:
HI all, been off the grid for a few days blaming it all PT at the pool. Ran 20 minutes yesterday in 3-5 feet of water. Swam did step ups and other land exercises. Progress is coming fast. Missed out on taking pictures ... the new regimen is working out and consumes a lot of the day. That and the rain ....

Felt guilty at the use of the like button, missing out on comments on many that deserve them. Citing a few, Georgs' sailing ship, Scott's Watkins Glen, Peter's trail shots.

Couple of questions for me there is a trip to the North Carolina mountains in October. The surgeon advises not to walk the trails but I need to get out. Weight is an issue carrying a back pack and the CG of what's inside. This may rules out the 85 & 35mm 1.4. Thinking lighter more compact and see results from the 45mm 2.8. What the benefit of this lens over the plastic 55mm.

Some shots playing with the HDR and taking advantage of the heavy rain on the foliage and the sky.

Ken, the output of that Df is amazing. Excellent color rendition and DR. I see with each of your posts that you get closer to making the best of what that sensor gives you, and these last two photographs are spot on in regards to post processing in my opinion.

As much as I want to like the Df, I still use two AF lenses and the pro bodies are a bit faster with both. Guess I'll have to stick with the D3 until prices on the D4 drop a bit

giag

I've never owned a d700 but I can agree that finding a camera that fits your hand is practically a bigger issue than image quality. My camera suffers froma small viewfinder, I'm hoping to get back to shooting my f3hp more when I get it cla'd and develop the bw negs myself at home. I think that solves the wait time. now if only there were a way to get a decent grip on a f3hp without that monster film motor. I saw one once, but could never get my hands on it. but who needs a grip on a f3hp with a 50 or 28mm lens? it weighs what 1 lb? as I get older, that viewfinder issue is hitting me more and more, and I dont want to wrestle with a lcd in the sun to see how its going.

So which nikons have the best viewfinders and can stand with the f3hp?

CGrindahl wrote:
Reagan wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
You're not helping Ray...

So a new D750 at $2,295 or a used Df if I can ever find one for $2,000... mmm.

No decision today but I'll let you know if/when something happens.

Or a great (feels good in my hand) D700 for $0.00

Reagan

There is a thread on the Nikon forum from someone asking about the D700. I read through it last evening. I still love that camera and feel no urgency about buying another. The last time I felt the urge to buy a Df I bought a second D700 for $1,250. I subsequently sold my first D700, gaining nearly forty thousand shutter actuations for $250. That seemed like a good deal since I can't imagine ever selling this D700.

IF I buy another camera it will have to be for a compelling reason. Since I don't print, the extra megapixels are really pretty superfluous. A gain in dynamic range is appealing though frankly I don't feel I'm suffering, especially when I'm using Silver Efex Pro 2...

Better lowlight performance is always appealing but again, I'm not suffering horribly in that regard with the D700. I know the feel of the camera in my hand is important and honestly, despite the fact I don't have large hands, the full-size D700 suits me perfectly. Having had the experience of finding the D800 so uncomfortable with its narrowed front grip and reduced thumb ridge on the back, I know I have to assess such things carefully. I understand the D810 made some changes to the grip that might make it more appealing, but I still don't like the idea of managing 36 megapixel files. It appears the D750 grip comes closer to the D700 than does the D600. It appears to be an interesting camera but it will have everything to do with feel in the hand.

The Df is appealing because it accepts pre-AI lenses but there really aren't too many of those I don't already own. It is so different from everything I've used in the last ten years I'm not certain how I'd react to it. I shot with the Nikkormat but that is so long ago I hardly remember the experience. I have asked Matt to return the FA I loaned to him last year so at the least I can take some pretty photos of old gear, ala Samy, Chuong, Rafael and Ray...

I remember the lyrics... "know when to hold them..." and that is precisely what I'm doing with the D700, which is probably the most successful prosumer digital camera Nikon has ever made and rivals the D3s as the best of all their digital cameras. Great things have happened since the D700 was released but it still produces great images... just ask Georg. I think he has over 400,000 shutter actuations on his.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

asiostygius wrote:
Georg, loved the 180/2.8 shots;

Ray, liked youyr shots with the V1 + 180/2.8; how about manual focusing with V1??

Thank you Jose. It isn't too difficult to focus but I find I really need to keep both eyes open

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1750

DF+50 1.2
#2 =agfa film Replichrome
thanks

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

giag wrote:
leighton, what camera/film is that. Nice work!

Thank you, they were shot with the D600.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1472

Andy, really enjoyed the Welsh church b&w's and the macros.

David, terrific colors from Hong Kong and Macau.

Georg, love the astronomical clock and the Kogge. Your track shots look like something out of Rollerball.

Eric wonderful portrait with the 55/1.2.

Ray, great space center shots with the 16/3.5.

Philippe, love the composition of the stairway shot at the Louvre. The water horse is terrific.

Craig, nice ones of your son.

Philip, "cigarette" is a cool shot.

Scott, nice ones from the Glen. I really like the MG set.

Laura, your sunflowers are excellent.

Rafael, glad you're feeling better. "Vega Jalisco window" is a beautiful image. Nice cathedral set.

Peter, very nice whitebark pine captures.

Mike, nice moon shot.

John, terrific violin portraits.

Steve, lovely shots with the 85/1.4.

Diallo, nice night car shots with your 50/1.2.

Buddy, very nice action shot.

Fons, beautiful rose and bokeh.

Phil, nice ones with the 50/1.2.

Leighton, great "Hat" and harvest moon.

Ken, really like the dramatic sky and the 100 year old building b&w.

Carl, very nice rain drops and wall paintings.

Mark, I enjoyed your choice of lighting on "caught by surprise."

Curtis, terrific portrait of young Ansel.

Ronny, great work with the 180/2.8.

Gia, very nice portraits.

Chuong, congrats, beautiful portrait!

Jay, I like your foggy shots.

Francesco, glad you're on the mend.

Jose, terrific macros.

Joan, nice trees and SUP.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9319

It's either a D610 or a DF

MDoc9523 wrote:
To celebrate my new camera arriving tomorrow. Here's a few from the Kennedy Space Center using the 16mm 3.5

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

NightOwl Cat wrote:

MDoc9523 wrote:
To celebrate my new camera arriving tomorrow. Here's a few from the Kennedy Space Center using the 16mm 3.5

Or he is NPS and got a D750.

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

I think he is going back to Canon

R

NightOwl Cat

Reminds me of the movie National Velvet, Phillipe

Lieutenant Z wrote:
This weekend we were in Camargue for a long horse ride through pounds and salt marshes and along the beach Great moment!

---------------------------------------------

Nice spider shots Jose. I know two of my kids would be terrified

asiostygius wrote:
Georg, loved the 180/2.8 shots;

Steve, what a "crazy" tube (129.5mm!) with the 85mm; great result;

Ray, liked youyr shots with the V1 + 180/2.8; how about manual focusing with V1??

Buddy and Ronny, great dog action shots;

Ken, loved the "dramatic" clouds;

Scott, beautifully captured old cars with 35/1.4 and 85/1.8;

Laura, great sunflower sets;

Andy, superb macros as always;

Francesco and the other injuried guys, wish fast recover;

Rafael, thanks for the very interesting appraisal on wide angle lenses.

An unperceived and curious reflection at the moment of the shot:

"Flowers in my eyes"

"Flowers in my eyes" by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7100 + TC14A + PK13 tube + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 + macro bracket + SB-400 flash + improvised diffuser, hand held, ISO 400, f/11 at 1/160s. Top: 33% cropped, bottom 100% cropped to show the flowers reflected in the eyes.
The TC14A is magnifying 1.4x the 55/2.8 + PK-13 combo.

Ken Hill wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I'm not at all surprised Leighton that you would find the 85 f/1.4 AI-s such an outstanding lens for the kind of shooting you do at the market. It is rather the sweet spot of your much loved 50-135 but gives you the speed that allows for some delicious bokeh play. We know it is a great lens for portraiture.

Now, you need to contact that woman across the way who appears to be raising her camera toward you as you take that photo to see what she came up with. We want a link to that photo so we can see you in action...

Love everything you're dropping on the board. As the days shorten I imagine your busy season beginning to wind down. I know the market continues for some time and that with your plastic enclosures you'll continue growing for quite awhile, the autumn in fast approaching... this is actually my favorite time of year, though in the Bay Area, September can be the warmest month.

You hit the nail on the head. The 85 is turning out to be a favorite FL for market shooting. When I owned the D7000 I shot with the 50mm a lot because of the crop factor being 75mm with that lens. now I know why.

I'll see if that gal actually got anything of me or if it broke her camera.

It is starting to slow down a tad and I'm REALLY looking forward to it slowing down even more. In fact, I wouldn't mind a killing frost.

Get serious, you'll be taking snow off the "hoop houses" before you know it!

NightOwl Cat

Nope. I base my WAG on the fact that Ray sent his D600 in for the service advisory and they are sending him the 610 in return, that or he fell victim to Ken's Df and has one of his own coming and Reagan, fifty lashes for you!

rafaelcasd wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

MDoc9523 wrote:

Or he is NPS and got a D750.

Reagan wrote:
I think he is going back to Canon

R

cadman342001
Total Posts: 4468

asiostygius wrote:
An unperceived and curious reflection at the moment of the shot:

"Flowers in my eyes"

"Flowers in my eyes" by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7100 + TC14A + PK13 tube + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 + macro bracket + SB-400 flash + improvised diffuser, hand held, ISO 400, f/11 at 1/160s. Top: 33% cropped, bottom 100% cropped to show the flowers reflected in the eyes.
The TC14A is magnifying 1.4x the 55/2.8 + PK-13 combo.

Nice work Jose and added bonus of the flower in Dew drop style

Hard work focussing with a crop sensor too. I remember going from d300 to d700 full frame and actually seeing that the insect's eyes were in focus as opposed to just spraying and praying and hoping one of them would be on the money.

Andy

Paul Gabel
Total Posts: 442

Lieutenant Z wrote:
This weekend we were in Camargue for a long horse ride through pounds and salt marshes and along the beach Great moment!

Philippe, this looks like a (French, not Hollywood) movie shot. The Birth of Venus might be an appropriate title.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thanks laura. That is one amazing photo. Such beautiful cats eyes!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

Just got home from my anniversary weekend in the Point Reyes/Marin area (aka stomping grounds of our fearless leader Curtis). Had a great time. Next time I think we will do less walking as I am beat. We went to the Point Reyes Lighthouse that from the parking lot it's about a mile walk through rolling hills (mostly incline) followed by 308 stairs and two ramps that drop you 30 stories down to the lighthouse! I did it with my backpack full of gear (18lbs...so stupid of me). By the time I got back to the car, I was a mess.

Today saw warmer temps, cool breeze, and Lamintour Beach. Just WOW! On the way home, stopped in on Curtis and Sue near her new condo and had lunch. Curtis and I talked gear and the girls a hooked their heads good naturedly until we switched subjects. I caught a few snaps of them and he of me so you can put a face to the name.

All in all, excellent trip. Mainly used the Nikkor-HC 28/3.5, 55/1.2 AI, and the new to me 300/4.5 AI. I did take a few shots with my 10.5 AF fisheye, but it mostly stayed in the bag. The 55 did so well, that I am second guessing myself on letting it go, but with the 55/2.8 in the stable and a few 50's, hard to justify it when I have so many and I shoot maybe 3% of my shots @ 1.2. Most of the time I shoot at f/2~2.8... Can do that with all the rest. I have been looking at a 50/1.4. I think that I would use that a lot (have one on my Nikkormat, have always been a fan of the 50 on 35mm). So we'll see.

cadman342001
Total Posts: 4468

A couple of quick pics of my latest macro set up utilising the Bush Hawk left over from birding days.
The trigger button provided by the Bush hawk is nice, makes it easier to get shots whilst holding the whole thing steady. The flash bracket is quality but I want to get the flash parallel to the lens with just the flash head/diffuser pointing down over the subject. Suggestions ? I suppose a smaller flash would be a start but which one ? must be el cheapo !

_AGM6200 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM6201 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

1       2       3              4088      
       4090              5892       5893       end