Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4035

1       2       3              4035      
       4037              4299       4300       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13155

What a busy morning... with a great number of fine photos from our usual suspects. Am loving the conversation about AF shooting. You guys are describing the experience I've had when picking up an AF lens after years of shooting almost exclusively with these fine MF lenses. It is disorienting, unsettling and most importantly, completely unsatisfying. I'm not going to sell the last 3 AF lenses i own but I can't imagine when I'll next use them. Turning the focusing ring as I compose the image in the viewfinder is where the joy of photographer comes for me.

Now off to the farmer's market... I'll take my camera Leighton...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9445

CGrindahl wrote:
What a busy morning... with a great number of fine photos from our usual suspects. Am loving the conversation about AF shooting. You guys are describing the experience I've had when picking up an AF lens after years of shooting almost exclusively with these fine MF lenses. It is disorienting, unsettling and most importantly, completely unsatisfying. I'm not going to sell the last 3 AF lenses i own but I can't imagine when I'll next use them. Turning the focusing ring as I compose the image in the viewfinder is where the joy of photographer comes for me.

Looking forward to seeing your images from the market. Find out if it's a "producer only' market for me.

leighton w

You can see why the fellow who invented Velcro got his idea from this weed called Burdock. Taken with the 55/2.8 and cropped by 100 percent.

Velcro by T. Leighton Womack, on Flickr

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

Very nice Leighton. ^^^

monday
Total Posts: 260

CGrindahl wrote:

I had a similar experience with my sigma 35 lens yesterday. The lens is a piece of art but too big to take on the street for everyday /walk around use. The 28 2.8 is getting put back on for our weekly market shopping in a bit

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1462

A final posting of the Eucalyptus demise. This on top is Felipe, originally from Oaxaca, my gardener for 8 years, extremely hard working, probably has more money than I do, drives a brand new fully paid for Dodge Ram with leather seats. He started as an assistant to Francisco, the gardener of my property and many others for the prior 30 years, when Francisco retired back to his Mexican Village then Felipe took over.

He was very smart about taking the tree down, there was plenty room for it to fall in one direction so he cut enough branches to set the center of gravity towards the desired side, then cut into the trunk in a clever way so that a light tug from a rope sent it on its way down.

This tree did not provide shade, what it did was block the view with pleasant greenery and provide a sense of open privacy to the house,

Note that I used my like-new 35-200mm, a lens rarely seen in use as most are defective. Mine is a great documentary lens,going from wide angle to longish tele. The picture quality leaves nothing to be desired on the D3, it does need closing down on the D800 and the near field bokeh is very ugly on either, far side bokeh is fine.

nikon nikkor 35-200mm 3.5 D3 Felling a tree by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35-200mm 3.5 D3 Felling a tree 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

leighton w

monday wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

I had a similar experience with my sigma 35 lens yesterday. The lens is a piece of art but too big to take on the street for everyday /walk around use. The 28 2.8 is getting put back on for our weekly market shopping in a bit

I watched a youtube video the other day where a street shooter said he never used AF lens. He just zone focused, raised the camera, and fired. He said AF slowed the whole process down. I haven't tried it at the market yet, but I might give it a go next week.

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:
A final posting of the Eucalyptus demise. This on top is Felipe, originally from Oaxaca, my gardener for 8 years, extremely hard working, probably has more money than I do, drives a brand new fully paid for Dodge Ram with leather seats. He started as an assistant to Francisco, the gardener of my property and many others for the prior 30 years, when Francisco retired back to his Mexican Village then Felipe took over.

He was very smart about taking the tree down, there was plenty room for it to fall in one direction so he cut enough branches to set the center of gravity towards the desired side, then cut into the trunk in a clever way so that a light tug from a rope sent it on its way down.

This tree did not provide shade, what it did was block the view with pleasant greenery and provide a sense of open privacy to the house,

Note that I used my like-new 35-200mm, a lens rarely seen in use as most are defective. Mine is a great documentary lens,going from wide angle to longish tele. The picture quality leaves nothing to be desired on the D3, it does need closing down on the D800 and the near field bokeh is very ugly on either, far side bokeh is fine.

What a shame about the tree Rafael. On the other hand, this may well be the first posting in the thread with this lens.

monday

leighton w wrote:
monday wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

I watched a youtube video the other day where a street shooter said he never used AF lens. He just zone focused, raised the camera, and fired. He said AF slowed the whole process down. I haven't tried it at the market yet, but I might give it a go next week.

I zone focus as well even my AF lenses are manual most the time zone focusing. I normally keep my body in manual focus mode. However AF is nice when you know you may have some time to compose the shot but not overstay your welcome which in MF is easy to do at times. In these cases I flip the switch to AF raise apreture to help issolate subject and can get some perfectly focused shots with a bigger aperture. Once done switch body back to MF and dial in my 6-8 feet range I like at 5.6

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2963

leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Thanks for the likes and comments on my most recent shot. I am using a program called RAWTherapee (that does have both Mac and Windows versions). So far I like its output, even though it has quite the learning curve. If you are familiar with Lightroom, you can figure it out I think. It has some interesting options for notice reduction as well as demosaicing the Bayer array. I am definitely going to work with it more. I have some shots I took of a baptism that I need to edit and this will be a good test as I was shooting in low light with a high shutter speed. There is an algorithm for high ISO that is very different than what Lightroom and Aperture use that reduces noise without smearing and killing details. We'll see.

Does Lightroom not work with Linux?

No it does not. It is a Mac/PC application only. What I am liking the most about Linux so far is the memory management and the amount of memory that the OS uses just to run. What this means to the average user is that Linux will run better on lesser equipment.

Fpessolano
Total Posts: 270

I guess i am the troubled son as I love AF as much as MF. Especially with kids and action, MF is possible but AF helps a lot. This said, AF always means big and heavy when compared to the samE manual lens. If only Nikon would take some oldies and update their coatings without changing the optical formula. That would be very welcome. But I guess they left this to zeiss (and my zeiss 135 stays the best MF lens I ever used, but not postable here).

Changing topic, great shot Leighton. It brings me back to university days when I was using exotic equipment to make images of weird stuff.

Today summer has been rainy, as most times in Belgium. But we were blessed by few dry hours ... And people went to the beach as if it was a real sunny day!! Something I, as I am not from here, still find very courageous :-) but I could snap a few with the 180.

monday

kwoodard wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Thanks for the likes and comments on my most recent shot. I am using a program called RAWTherapee (that does have both Mac and Windows versions). So far I like its output, even though it has quite the learning curve. If you are familiar with Lightroom, you can figure it out I think. It has some interesting options for notice reduction as well as demosaicing the Bayer array. I am definitely going to work with it more. I have some shots I took of a baptism that I need to edit and this will be a good test as I was shooting in low light with a high shutter speed. There is an algorithm for high ISO that is very different than what Lightroom and Aperture use that reduces noise without smearing and killing details. We'll see.

No it does not. It is a Mac/PC application only. What I am liking the most about Linux so far is the memory management and the amount of memory that the OS uses just to run. What this means to the average user is that Linux will run better on lesser equipment.

Have you tried setting up a VM like virtual box on Linux to run a windows or osx build for photo editing software?

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 549

Wow I was out today and the thread discussion is going where I went.

I took the 105 2.5 Ai-S and the PK13 for some mischief and to see the range of this fine lens. One shot at the local pool for artistic flavor, Another of the flower using the PK13. Then to the tennis court and golf practice tee and Zone Focused the lens.

Its helpful to set the camera to CH and shoot a burst. This works better with the D700 than you would expect. So the challenge to using it this way is when you anticipate the "shot" the shutter must already be pressed. Fast shutter speed also a must.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1085

Thanks for the comments on the old Torrey Pine tree shot.

Samy, very nice Basilica and car sets. The conservatory building looks like a great subject.

Steve, enjoyed the 200/2 shots.

Ken, very cool graffiti train.

Jose, love the "nectar thief" and the red coral.

Curtis, great wedding set and shadow play.

Jay, really attractive 45PC-E shot.

Lestor, thanks for your comments. I had to spend a lot of time on shadow recovery and, maybe, the overall exposure got away from me by a half stop. I'll play around with it and see. Very nice bench scene with your 105/2.5.

Nuno, I like the look of your b&w whale watching set.

Eric, congrats on the new boxer.

Andy, very nice barn shots.

Rafael, sorry about the big Euc. Hopefully, the forecasts of an El Niño winter will come to pass and we'll get some rain.

Kevin, very well-balanced processing on the flower shot.

Francesco, nice portrait and low tide shots.

Leighton, Very nice beer bokeh.

Reagan, agree with all the positive comments on your moss and brick image.

Scott, terrific rock cairns and gas barn.

Georg, very nice shot with the 35PC. The colors are rendered in a subtle and pleasing way.

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1379

DF+80-200

lsds
Total Posts: 156

Samy - Great set..loved the art figure..
Fransesco - Nice beach set
Nuno - Thanks. Hope you get some images of the aurora too
Lovely set..
Eric - Welcome back.Congrats on the addition..Thats a cute family pic there
Andy-loved the barn shots..which preset and tool do you use for the BW pp?
Rafael - Sorry about your Eucalyptus
Kevin - Nice. There was GIMP I remember earlier for Linux. Wonder if there is an evolution of that now
Georg - Thanks. Beautiful set. Loved the watch tower in the first with the PC
Reagan - Loved the second image of the pathway with the overhanging filaments.
Scott - Nice framing
Jeff - Thanks.
Though a lil' OE, it still is a great pic. Would love to see it after you tweak it.
Ken - Thanks. On sepia, darkened the exposure and increased contrast for darker tones. This is a web tool I use that uses jpegs but kills quality.
Nice macro set and loved the action shots esp the tennis one
Scott - Nice..that’s what you would call a retro barn
Leighton - Absolutely loved the 'Velcro' shot. Has a sense of entrapment about it

Pollen distributors - Reversed 50 1.8 e with a BR2 ring @f5.6

Their speed makes hand held focusing so challenging..

Reagan
Total Posts: 2991

@rafael, I know how you fell about losing the tree
I lost 2 shade trees and 4 fruit trees after our last hurricane in 2005 but no damage to the house
@Scott, did Leighton miss one shearing after the beer
@Ken, Where is the woman that was sitting in that chair
@Francesco, the 180 was designed to take photos of physically fit people at the beach

Reagan

leighton w

Scott - I must have missed your sheep post. Loved them. We have a couple of wooly ones running around right now, but they're culls which we are taking to the sale barn soon.

Monday - That's the beauty with a lens like the 28 or 35, stopped down to 5.6 or 8 everything's in focus.

Francesco - Thank you, and I ABSOLUTELY love the first image in your set, very well framed.

Lester - Nice job capturing those bees.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2963

Gimp is still around, but it is still not easy to use and its RAW handling leaves a lot to be desired.

I have set up a Virtual Box, but Lightroom runs even slower than it does on Windows 7. So far for anything critical, I will go into LR on Win7 (I have multiple OS' on this computer), but I would like to get away from Win7 if possible.

You may remember that I had a hard drive failure a while back. I pulled the drive and before I wiped it I ran a few utilities (in Linux) that showed that the drive was attacked via a virus of some kind. I took it to the IT folks at work and they ran the drive through some of the enterprise software they use to keep the campus network safe. The virus had planted itself in a part of the disk that 99% of the virus scanners can't reach. The only way to save the drive was to do a low level format of the disk, using Linux (Windows would error when it tried to wipe that sector), then I had to rebuild the drive. There is no telling how the drive was initially infected since we couldn't actually look at the software. I have a full time active firewall as well as a hardware firewall in my router. Heck, for much of my post-HDD crash internet surfing, I would go through a proxy that has its own built in firewall. Now I try to use Linux for nearly everything and Windows for only things that Linux doesn't have a tool for. What is interesting to note... I have far fewer things installed on my Windows partition, it uses 64GB. Linux, with 4x as many applications as Windows, uses 11GB. The other nice thing is that Linux takes 45 seconds to cold boot to where the HDD stops blinking. Windows 7 is 2 minutes, 26 seconds to the same state.

leighton w

kwoodard wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:

Well, that leaves the idea of using Linux out for me.

1       2       3              4035      
       4037              4299       4300       end