Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4023

1       2       3              4023      
       4025              4052       4053       end

georgms
Total Posts: 3274

Ken, I like the hallway-image, a subject that is calling for B&W. My guess (looking at your "arsenal") would be a faster 35, so maybe the influence of this thread made you really wanna a 35/1.4

georgms

Scott and Nuno, I really enjoyed looking at your fine landscapes from different part's of the Atlantic ocean.

Curtis, lovely swallow-trio! About 35 years ago my grandfather told me that swallows flying very deep are a pretty safe forecast for upcoming thunderstorms.

Jay, the waterfall-picture is stunning!

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2537

georgms wrote:
Dustin, Jose has a comparison between 55/2.8 vs 3.5 in the works. For me the cheap 55/3.5 works just great - one of the "best bang for the buck"-lenses I own.

Dustin, as Georg told you, I made a quick comparison of these lenses and included just as a reference the 50/1.8 AI.

At close range: 1:2 magnification:

Comparison of Nikkors 50/1.8+20mm tube vs Micro55/2.8 vs Micro55/3.5 at1:2 close up range por labecoaves, no Flickr

Comparison of Micro-Nikkors 55mm f/2.8 ais and 55mm f/3.5 ai, with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 ai + 20mm tube just for reference.
All lenses set around 1:2 magnification.
All shots taken with a D600 + tripod + built in flash + remote shutter + live view focusing in the centre.
I suggest a visualization at the original (largest) size in the fickr link to evaluate results.
Caution: N = 1 for each lens; copy variation can be a fator here.

Wide open (50/1.8 was at f/2.8) - closer look (cropped central band):

50/f1.8-vs-55/f2.8-vs-55/f3.5-wide open - central band cropped por labecoaves, no Flickr

Although results at the centre are similar, the Micros are clearly sharper at the borders, and at closer inspection the f/2.8 Micro is sligtly sharper at borders than the f/3.5 Micro.

At f/8:

50/f1.8-vs-55/f2.8-vs-55/f3.5- at f/8 - central band cropped por labecoaves, no Flickr

Now all lenses are very similar, but at close inspection the Micros are still slightly better at the borders.

If you need 1:2 or more magnification with great sharpness from border to border, no big surprise the Micros are better, BUT if you don't need macros often and/or don't need critical sharp borders, the humble 50/1.8 + tubes is na option too.

Next I will post a preliminar bokeh comparison.

asiostygius

Now a quick bokeh test "at infinity":
(I suggest a visualization at the flickr link the original (largest) size to evaluate results)
The subjects were my "Neapolitan owl" and the Nikkor 50/2 HC.

55/f2.8-vs-55/f3.5-vs-50/f1.8 bokeh test - infinity por labecoaves, no Flickr

Preliminar bokeh test comparison at infinity for Micro-Nikkors 55mm f/2.8 ais and 55mm f/3.5 ai, with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 ai just for reference.
All shots taken with a D600 + tripod + built in flash + remote shutter + live view focusing in the centre (owl eye, ~50 cm).
Caution: N = 1 for each lens; copy variation can be a fator here.

Bokeh is subjective, but for me the 55/2.8 is slightly smoother than the 55/3.5 which in turn is sligthly smoother than the 50/1.8. Need to test other situations though, as closer backgrounds and/or light points.

Perhaps tonight I can post the infinity (landscape) comparisons. Sorry to boring some people here

cadman342001
Total Posts: 2673

Last one is my fave Ken, I forget how much the voucher was for,you seem to have most FLs covered but maybe 85/1.4 or 135/2 ? or a PC lens judging by your leaning buildings

Andy

georgms

Jose, your comparison's are everything but boring. Thanks for taking the time to do the testing and for sharing your findings and images here. The 55/2.8 Micro looks very good, but I'll keep my 55/3.5.
Btw, tried the 50/1.8 for close-range-stuff on the V1 once and found the results to be very disappointing - poor sharpness and contrast, but an awful lot of bokeh-fringing.

asiostygius

Thanks Georg.
My tested 50/1.8 is the AI version, all metal except the rubber focus ring:
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_50mm_f1.8_1828564.html

Just found this interesting site with several legacy Nikkors tales:

http://www.nikkor.com/story/

cadman342001

Getting late here again so here are some more from the backlog

Continuing the beach theme Turkey

_AGM2600 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM2603 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM2453 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM2406 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

cadman342001

and some of the "flowers" on a walk up the beach and cliff

85/1.4 + pn11
_AGM2417 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

85/1.4 + pn11
_AGM2416 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

35/1.4 @ 2.8
_AGM2449 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

85/1.4+pn11
_AGM2462 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

cadman342001

Incidentally, my PN11 aperture tab isn't returning like it should, any ideas what to do ? other than take it apart and we all know where that would lead !

giopaolo
Total Posts: 18

@asiostygius - thank you so much for the samples. really appreciate it.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2715

Andy, I would try and take it apart as a last resort. Do a visual check, something may be stuck inside the aperture arm. My PK13 (when I had it) had a piece of fuzz that somehow got inside it causing it to slow and not return. I was able to pull it out with a long needle. Once I did that, it worked like new.

giopaolo
Total Posts: 18

how much would a PK13 cost?

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7553

https://www.keh.com/216664/nikon-manual-focus-pk13-auto-ext-ring-27-5mm-55-micro-ai-1-1

giopaolo wrote:
how much would a PK13 cost?

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12751

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Curtis, did you add grain to this?

CGrindahl wrote:
Three of the swallows were crowded together in the nest constructed above a vent in a hall beneath where Sue's condo is. Today I mounted the 105 f/2.5 P AI and grabbed a few shots from across the hall. This is ISO 2500 at f/2.8. Close to a 100% crop...

No... I think it is the combination of ISO at 2500 and the smart sharpening I applied in post. This is bright enough that the noise becomes evident.

James Markus
Total Posts: 4368

I like it! Looks almost like stepping stones.

mp356 wrote:
Nice work everyone. From a visit to Acadia. Taken with the 35 f1.4 Ais.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7553

I tried Define on your jpeg, but I didn't like what I got. Might just be oversharpened then. I do like the image otherwise

CGrindahl wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:
Three of the swallows were crowded together in the nest constructed above a vent in a hall beneath where Sue's condo is. Today I mounted the 105 f/2.5 P AI and grabbed a few shots from across the hall. This is ISO 2500 at f/2.8. Close to a 100% crop...

No... I think it is the combination of ISO at 2500 and the smart sharpening I applied in post. This is bright enough that the noise becomes evident.

georgms

CGrindahl wrote:

NightOwl Cat wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I tried Define on your jpeg, but I didn't like what I got. Might just be oversharpened then. I do like the image otherwise

I like the D700's grain, it looks like film-grain and not like the "smeary" artificial noise from many P&S's for instance. On the swallows-shot I've noticed the grain, but it didn't triggered discomforting feelings on my side ;-)

monday
Total Posts: 154

Some amazing shots posted over night!!!

All these stellar landscape shots make me itching for a vacation!

Ken, Some great architecture shots there. Four Barrels is just another of the many highend, small company coffe companies in SF like blue bottle or Ritual. Regardless great stuff.

Jose, Thanks for the comparison! To me it looks like the 2.8 is the price/performer of the group.

Cadman, Some great shots and love seeing the local flora. To me the first two beach shots feel a bit underexposed? Maybe its just my need to want to see more detail of the amazing mountains!

Sadly no photos from me today it started off with 7am meetings, I am not a morning person... At ALL! Then my lunch is booked with a tech talk I have to give followed up by boring networking stuff into the night Damn work getting in the way of things.

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 422

Peter Lovely panos, the aloes are wonderful.
Curtis Do all those birds disappear into the nest at night? Looks like it might be crowded.
Ken Looks like everything in the gator shot is plastic! Remember, some people collect drill bits. BTW my Cremo rebate came in last week. Nice shots of the church.
Andy The tropical beach shots make me want to go native.
Reagan Nice shots of W Fla. It it would take 6 tanks of gas it would be a memorable ride.
Dustin I am very happy with my 55mm f/3.5 macro.
Scott Thanks for posting that shot of the Porcupine Islands. That place is about as close to heaven as it gets when the blueberries are ripe.
James The waterfall was taken from 'The Brink of the Lower Falls'. Makes me feel ancient as well, since I remember shooting this area in the '70s with a view camera!
Nuno Nice shot of the peak at night.
Jose Thanks for doing that lens test, very interesting as was the link to Tale 51. Has anyone used a Nikkor Soft Filter?

Thanks for all the comments and likes!

24mm PC-E
B Sides

-Jay-

1       2       3              4023      
       4025              4052       4053       end