Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4022

1       2       3              4022      
       4024              5890       5891       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Morning folks... alive and well in Marin County, though like most folks was jolted away by the tremor in Napa this morning around 3:30 a.m. For folks not living in earthquake country all I can say, is that earthquakes can be a bit breath taking. I live in a wood frame structure that I believe at one time was a garage. It has exposed ceiling joists in the living/bedroom slanting up to the wall that has twelve feet wide, eight feet high windows separated by mullions. I have a photo but it is from my Canon days... I mention all that because when an earthquake rolls through the thought naturally crosses the mind that the windows might break or the ceiling buckle. This quake rolled on long enough that I knew it was a bigger one. 6.0 is a real quake, though it appears because of where it was centered, agricultural land south and west of Napa, there likely isn't a great deal of damage.

That said, Sue just called to say she wishes to drive up to her condo to check it out. A homeowner now, she wants to be sure there is no damage. I doubt there is but it is time for breakfast and I know a good place to eat...

Great comparison Leighton. Have fun everyone. I'll be back later...

Frode
Total Posts: 400

A

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

CGrindahl wrote:
Morning folks... alive and well in Marin County, though like most folks was jolted away by the tremor in Napa this morning around 3:30 a.m. For folks not living in earthquake country all I can say, is that earthquakes can be a bit breath taking. I live in a wood frame structure that I believe at one time was a garage. It has exposed ceiling joists in the living/bedroom slanting up to the wall that has twelve feet wide, eight feet high windows separated by mullions. I have a photo but it is from my Canon days... I mention all that because when an earthquake rolls through the thought naturally crosses the mind that the windows might break or the ceiling buckle. This quake rolled on long enough that I knew it was a bigger one. 6.0 is a real quake, though it appears because of where it was centered, agricultural land south and west of Napa, there likely isn't a great deal of damage.

That said, Sue just called to say she wishes to drive up to her condo to check it out. A homeowner now, she wants to be sure there is no damage. I doubt there is but it is time for breakfast and I know a good place to eat...

Great comparison Leighton. Have fun everyone. I'll be back later...

Glad to hear you're all right. Hope Sue's condo is fine too. Enjoy your breakfast.

Fpessolano
Total Posts: 278

Everybody ok in and around SF? Curtis? Ryan?

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

Fpessolano wrote:
Everybody ok in and around SF? Curtis? Ryan?

+1

Hope all is fine with the guys living in SF area!

asiostygius

Thanks for the likes & comments.

Joseph, awesome scenarios and excellent lens choice;

Leighton, loved the comparison of 135's bokehs;

Francesco, loved the flower with 55 micro;

Peter, superb work with the 600/4 + TC16A, as usual.

Another bokeh playing with the 35/1.4 NC, ~MFD (0.3m):

Nikkor N.C 35mm f/1.4 ai'd bokeh playing by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor N.C 35mm f/1.4 ai'd hand held, ISO 100, f/1.4 at 1/4000s, ~10 % cropped. "Nervous" bokeh.

leighton w

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks for the likes & comments.

Joseph, awesome scenarios and excellent lens choice;

Leighton, loved the comparison of 135's bokehs;

Francesco, loved the flower with 55 micro;

Peter, superb work with the 600/4 + TC16A, as usual.

Another bokeh playing with the 35/1.4 NC, ~MFD (0.3m):

Nikkor N.C 35mm f/1.4 ai'd bokeh playing by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor N.C 35mm f/1.4 ai'd hand held, ISO 100, f/1.4 at 1/4000s, ~10 % cropped. "Nervous" bokeh.

Doesn't seem to be any worse (bokeh wise) than the AIS version.

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

55 1.2 ai :

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Lovely composition Philippe. ^^^

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Philippe, ^that's one of your best images I've seen here so far. Superbe!

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

Wow Z.. love it

Nice Jose

@f2.8

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Joseph.
Total Posts: 3595

Jose, Leighton, Rafael & Kevin - thanks for the kind words!

Curtis - glad to hear everything’s ok with ya. We get lots of shaking here in LA too. We had a 5.0 last month and I thought my bed was gonna disintegrate

Frode wrote:
OK, that's it! Lately I've spent some time thinking how to spend the time when I'm on the internet. So tired of sites/threads which ends up in "a fight". Then it struck me; Curtis thread on FM! People who behaves them selves and share their common interest. From now on I'm gonna use my time on the internet at this thread - starting from page one today. I searched for motivation, and I found it! Thanks guys! Oh, by the way, due to this thread some time ago, I've bought myself two FM2n (low/high iso), AI 24 2.8, AI 50 1.8 and AI 85 2.0....loving it :-)! All the best for the future!

Way to go, Frode! and you are indeed correct - this is a very different thread, we congregate in peace, just shootin’ and sharing pics shot with MFNG. No fightin' here and absolutely no whining about inaccurate AF!

joanlvh wrote:
why is this so grainy,grungy? operator error? is it not sharp? shot at f 200 thanks

Well, you’re at ISO 12800

asiostygius

This is for Rafael

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EX-Nikon-NIKKOR-ED-AI-S-800mm-F5-6-800-mm-f-5-6-800-5-6-Very-Shap-lens-Canon-/171417391407?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27e945d12f&_uhb=1

Supposedly next to you in CA.

Ronny Olsson

@f2.8

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2487

asiostygius wrote:
This is for Rafael

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EX-Nikon-NIKKOR-ED-AI-S-800mm-F5-6-800-mm-f-5-6-800-5-6-Very-Shap-lens-Canon-/171417391407?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27e945d12f&_uhb=1

Supposedly next to you in CA.

It is in good shape. Clean. Decent price. Uhmm.....

It does have a dent. Must have fallen with the quake this morning.

leighton w

DontShoot wrote:

joanlvh wrote:
why is this so grainy,grungy? operator error? is it not sharp? shot at f 200 thanks

Well, you’re at ISO 12800

Yup, that'll do it every time.

Joseph.
Total Posts: 3595

I work in Beverly Hills and although I don't watch TV that often, I do see a fair amount of celebrities that I recognize on my daily commute. One of them is Jay Leno and he is hard to miss since he drives classic cars. I'm sure if he's into photography he'd probably go for the Df and a collection of classic MFNG

Too bad I didn't get his entire car, but I was going 40mph and he's going 40mph the other direction, so I only had a fraction of a sec to get a shot. I set the Df to CH, prefocused the 28 2.8 AIS to infinity, stopped down to f/8 and bumped the shutter speed to 1/2500. Stuck it out of my window and pressed the shutter

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

^Joseph, for a classic car with a long hood like this you probably need a wider lens ;-) Nice catch!

Fpessolano
Total Posts: 278

Love it Ronny!

Ronny Olsson

1       2       3              4022      
       4024              5890       5891       end