Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4002

1       2       3              4002      
       4004              4067       4068       end

mp356
Total Posts: 4203

leighton w wrote:
Congratulations everyone for reaching 80,000!

Here's a few from the market using the 180mm f2.8 AIS. Sorry Ray, you guessed wrong.

Rachael's Carrots by T. Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Leighton, very nice market images. I really like how you captured the light in the shot of the carrots.

mp356
Total Posts: 4203

leighton w wrote:
Scott, is that 85 factory AI'ed?

Yes it is. I picked it up off Ebay awhile ago. I really like its sharpness. But like Nikki, the camera registers f2 when I have the ring completely open to f1.8.

the solitaire
Total Posts: 750

I took delivery of a bog box this Friday.

Because my ex is moving out of our shared (now my) apartment I did not have the time to open the box until yesterday and I was quite delighted by what I saw in there. Less than 40 000 actuations and looks as good as new

(picture taken with my D300 with the 135mm f3,5 Nikkor - Q.C Auto at f11)

And a nice small bag to go with it. I read that Ray bought the 2 million dollar home from Crumpler and was quite happy with that. I picked up the Light Delight 4000 instead.

Holds a D3 with 55mm f1,2 mounted, the 20mm f3,5 UD and the 105mm f2,5 P.C as well as an extra battery, memory cards, 52mm polarizer and ND filters and some bits and pieces

leighton w
Total Posts: 9016

Congrats on the D3 Buddy. Hope this wasn't the girl with the dog who liked photography as well.

leighton w

mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Scott, is that 85 factory AI'ed?

Yes it is. I picked it up off Ebay awhile ago. I really like its sharpness. But like Nikki, the camera registers f2 when I have the ring completely open to f1.8.

These are very hard to find with a factory AI conversion. I look from time-to-time, but with no luck. The H version is easier to find, but after using Nikki, I'd like the H.C.

Fpessolano
Total Posts: 76

How does the ais 105/1.8 compares to the 105/2.5? I have a Friend who is considering one of the two. He asked for my opinion, but I only used the 2.5 (and ai version only)
Thanks.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12781

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Quite interesting stats, thanks for doing this. Most of my nearly 9000 post are on this thread. Perhaps I have a problem.

Refresh my memory, was the really active time during Nikki's travels?

Correct me if I'm wrong Leighton but wasn't it YOU WHO CREATED AND SHEPHERDED THE NIKKI BLOG?

If YOU don't know the dates, no one does...

May 2012 to May 2013, so yes, our busy days coincided with the Great Lens Adventure... I checked the blog to be certain of the dates... But I have an excuse for my poor memory... I'm OLD...

See, I knew I could get you to check!

I know this is your Sabbath Leighton and after a busy week you need to rest, both your body and you MIND... I'm happy to do the mental work for you on Sundays...

You just post photos and chat with our cyber friends...

Cadaver
Total Posts: 447

Leighton, I really enjoyed your group of shots from the market on the previous page with the 180mm 2.8, especially the first one. Did you take those with a D800?

leighton w

Cadaver wrote:
Leighton, I really enjoyed your group of shots from the market on the previous page with the 180mm 2.8, especially the first one. Did you take those with a D800?

Thanks. These were taken with the D600. I also developed the raw files in LR.

the solitaire

leighton w wrote:
Congrats on the D3 Buddy. Hope this wasn't the girl with the dog who liked photography as well.

No, fortunately it is not Kristina moving out.

Before I met Kristina I lived together with someone else and we split up end of last year. She could not find a new affordable stay for her and our dog but after about 6 months a new place was found and now, another month later she moves in there.

I could not ask of her to move out when she had no place to stay which was really taxing for her, for me and maybe most of all for Kristina.

My love for Kristina, her love for me and our shared love for nature and photography and long walks kept my spirits up and helped me believe in and look forward to a future together with her.

It is not easy to do that wile living together with someone you shared a past with, but we found a way to move out of each others way most of the time.

monday
Total Posts: 154

This seems like fun since I don't know much aboute series if I wanted to get a good say 35mm walk about lense what is some really good glass I should look for?

the solitaire

35mm f1,4 Ai-S

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5663

Fpessolano wrote:
How does the ais 105/1.8 compares to the 105/2.5? I have a Friend who is considering one of the two. He asked for my opinion, but I only used the 2.5 (and ai version only)
Thanks.

At f/2.5 they have equivalent central sharpness, but the f/2.5 has better sharpness off into the edges and corners at just about all apertures. Regarding contrast, flare, ghosting - I don't know . . . The f/1.8 IS significantly heavier.

Both are fine lenses . . .

leighton w

monday wrote:
This seems like fun since I don't know much aboute series if I wanted to get a good say 35mm walk about lense what is some really good glass I should look for?

Well, depending on your budget I'd go for what Buddy suggests. It's an extremely capable lens.

saph
Total Posts: 2258

Folks congratulations on blowing past the 4k page mark and not slowing down!

Here's a few today from the Cylburn Arboretum. All with the 1967 Nippon Kogaku 55 1.2 S

Flowers..

Flowers1 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Flowers3 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Flowers4 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

And a lion.
Lion by maryland_photos, on Flickr

saph

And as to the 35 1.4 manual Nikkor glass, here's a couple examples with the very first variant of that lens, the Nikkor-N Auto 35 1.4; this copy produced somewhere around 1972-1973.

Flowers6 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Flowers5 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Every bit as capable as the later 35 1.4 AIS that several of the thread stalwarts have. It is non-AI however, so it requires AI conversion. The Nikkor-N Auto 35 1.4 has one very unique characteristic, a warm tinge, which can be readily adjusted through a white balance fix.

raboof
Total Posts: 1436

Buddy - I just got my D3 yesterday Had the same lens on it today and falling in love with the bigger viewfinder again. Much easier with MF lenses for me. I took a shot at the D600 because it has video. It probably will need to go since I found a better solution for video.

Here is a quick shot from the D3 with a 55mm f1.2 Nikkor-SC

saph

A quick test with the 18 3.5 AIS to check Bjorn Rorslett's observation about extreme vignetting and under exposure of the lens when used wide open on FF. This is on the D800, using center weighted metering, and unprocessed except reduced for upload. There is definitely vignetting in the corners, but nothing extreme, it can probably be fixed readily with vignetting control in PP. Overall the image is somewhat underexposed, but again, not in an extreme manner.

18mm3.5AISWideOpenTest by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Here's the link for Bjorn's page on wide angle Nikkors: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

monday
Total Posts: 154

How does the 35mm 1.4 compare to the 2?

Reagan
Total Posts: 2870

^^^^^^^^^^^

They are going to tell you the 35 1.4 is way better but in the real world shooting the average person can't tell the difference
You will pay twice as much for the 1.4 and if it is your first Manual Focus lens you might want to make sure you like it before you spend a lot
I would pick up the 28 2.8 it is much better than the 35/2 for about the same price
Watch out these DEVILS around here will encourage you to spend every penny you have

Just saying,

Reagan

Buddy, teach me how to do that thing with the women

1       2       3              4002      
       4004              4067       4068       end