Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/4001

1       2       3              4001      
       4003              5889       5890       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4681

leighton w wrote:
First shot with the 135mm f2.8 QC wide open. Sent it to John White last Monday and got it back today. He really does nice work and fast!

Hydrangea by T. Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Love the buttery bokeh. Maybe I need to get another one. It is a great lens on a PK13 tube too.

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

a view of the Beaujolais, near Lyon, in the "pierres dorées" area :

Fpessolano
Total Posts: 278

Nice bokeh and sharpness, Leighton

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Thanks Kevin and Francesco. I think I'll do a comparison between it and my 50-135mm this week end.

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
I have partied hardy over the weekend to celebrate birthday 62 so I am dreadfully behind. Lots of wonderful photos that I will have to be content using the dreaded LIKE button. Here's a beach photo of the storm moving in using the 35mm 1.4 AIS

Worthy of another look, well done my friend.

leighton w

DontShoot wrote:
I can't catch up with this fast moving thread so I apologize if I can't address each person individually. I just want to say THANK YOU for looking and liking my images

I went on a bike ride yesterday afternoon... started around 7pm while the sun was still up and rode until it was pitch dark! I took my Df and 28 2.8 AIS for some night shooting. The Df is a fantastic low light machine and feels so right with MF Nikkor glass!

(EDIT: The first two were also shot with 28 2.8 AIS, I forgot to change my lens # on the Non-CPU menu)

Love the first one Joseph!

Fpessolano

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Kevin and Francesco. I think I'll do a comparison between it and my 50-135mm this week end.

I am curious. I will check the Q version versus the ais in the coming weeks and see if I keep one, both or none (considering I have the zeiss135). So far the ais has not been much loved by me.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thank you Leighton and congrats on the new lens. It looks like a real keeper!

leighton w

Fpessolano wrote:
leighton w wrote:

I am curious. I will check the Q version versus the ais in the coming weeks and see if I keep one, both or none (considering I have the zeiss135). So far the ais has not been much loved by me.

As you probably know, Curtis did a comparison between the f2, AIS and the QC. I think there was another one but I can't remember. His test was what got me interested in the QC in the first place. To my eye, it held it's own with the f2 with the latter maybe having just a tad smoother bokeh, but not by much. I'm VERY happy with the bokeh of my 50-135 at 135 and wide open, so this will be interesting. I'll be looking for your test as well.

monday
Total Posts: 260

So I had another question for you guys since I have been doing a lot more ebay hunting recently.

How do you guys pick the lens to buy? By that I mean:

lately looking for a 50mm 1.8 "long nose". There are a couple different options. The cheaper ones seem to be by people that don't know what they are vs the newer versions. They normally lack any details about the condition and is left for you to judge by the pictures. Which can be hard at times!

or

You have listings that call out "long nose" go into details about the condition and history but at the cost of $30-45 more.

I guess I am wondering how many of you go which route.

Fpessolano

leighton w wrote:
Fpessolano wrote:
leighton w wrote:

As you probably know, Curtis did a comparison between the f2, AIS and the QC. I think there was another one but I can't remember. His test was what got me interested in the QC in the first place. To my eye, it held it's own with the f2 with the latter maybe having just a tad smoother bokeh, but not by much. I'm VERY happy with the bokeh of my 50-135 at 135 and wide open, so this will be interesting. I'll be looking for your test as well.

Yes, this is why I took the Q and I expect to sell the ais!

Fpessolano

monday wrote:
So I had another question for you guys since I have been doing a lot more ebay hunting recently.

How do you guys pick the lens to buy? By that I mean:

lately looking for a 50mm 1.8 "long nose". There are a couple different options. The cheaper ones seem to be by people that don't know what they are vs the newer versions. They normally lack any details about the condition and is left for you to judge by the pictures. Which can be hard at times!

or

You have listings that call out "long nose" go into details about the condition and history but at the cost of $30-45 more.

I guess I am wondering how many of you go which route.

Photos, feedback, feedback again and luck

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

leighton w wrote:
Fpessolano wrote:
leighton w wrote:

This one...

Boy! I had to work AWFULLY hard to convince you to buy the Q.C. Leighton... Lovely first image. My guess is you'll quickly learn to love that lens. And Francesco, the Q has the same optical design but without the lens coatings that warranted the addition of a C to the name... I've not shot with that lens but my guess in normal light conditions it will be equally good. I like it in part because the lens is a bit bigger and handles so well. The AI-s is a nice lens but a bit small. That is the reason i prefer the 200 f/4 Q.C. over the AI-s at that focal length. With longer lenses it is nice to have a bit more bulk and weight. Good luck sorting it out. And, I'll look forward to your comparison with the 50-135 Leighton. This is how we all learn...

pburke
Total Posts: 3007

kwoodard wrote:
51200 ISO

Sony A7S - goes to iso 409600

http://youtu.be/XgbUgNiHfXM

CGrindahl

I've not had much time of late to participate on the thread but have viewed everything that has been posted. I've dropped quite a few "likes" on the thread because, as usual, there have been a great many outstanding photos posted. I have to say, the appearance of more photos taken with the Df is keeping the juices stirred. When things slow down a bit at Sue's new condo, I'll have to get serious about selling the D700 so I can begin shopping for a used Df. I'd promised myself I wouldn't spend more than $2,000 for a body but I felt a twitchy fingers when I saw one listed on the Buy and Sell board a few days ago for $2,075. Mmm... but not until the D700 is passed along to someone with a thousand bucks... Send your friends my way...

Fpessolano

Curtis, it will be fun, I took the 135Q because of your comparison and the fact I got one in very good condition at very low price. And because of your posts I took the 200/4QC ....

CGrindahl

pburke wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
51200 ISO

Sony A7S - goes to iso 409600

http://youtu.be/XgbUgNiHfXM

Pretty amazing performance. You must be a happy camper with your Sony setup. Maybe you want to initiate a thread in the Alternative Gear forum for folks shooting with Nikon MF lenses mounted on Sony cameras. Ronny is setup to join you and you might find others inspired to play that game. Looking at his results with the A7 on the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World forum one can't help but be impressed. But my pockets aren't deep enough to support two systems and the Df is definitely calling to me...

Oops! I didn't read closely enough and assumed it was John posting that link. Sorry Peter. I don't know whether you're contemplating an investment in Sony gear or simply keeping in touch with what's on the market. John has been talking about a mirror less camera for ever and a day. The camera certainly works for him when hiking and may be attractive to you for the same reason...

CGrindahl

Fpessolano wrote:
Curtis, it will be fun, I took the 135Q because of your comparison and the fact I got one in very good condition at very low price. And because of your posts I took the 200/4QC ....

Perhaps that is the reason Laura keeps dropping that statue of the devil on this thread and points a finger at me...

In truth, hanging out on this thread will invariably tickle one's fancy for one or another of these fine lenses. There are many in my kit that came only because of what I'd seen others do with a given lens. I'm delighted it is working for you Francesco...

We've been doing this for one another for ALMOST four years. We celebrate our four year anniversary THIS Friday. Don't miss it!

Leighton is providing beer and lamb chops. I believe Reagan has promised dancing girls...

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Fpessolano wrote:
leighton w wrote:

This one...

Boy! I had to work AWFULLY hard to convince you to buy the Q.C. Leighton... Lovely first image. My guess is you'll quickly learn to love that lens. And Francesco, the Q has the same optical design but without the lens coatings that warranted the addition of a C to the name... I've not shot with that lens but my guess in normal light conditions it will be equally good. I like it in part because the lens is a bit bigger and handles so well. The AI-s is a nice lens but a bit small. That is the reason i prefer the 200 f/4 Q.C. over the AI-s at that focal length. With longer lenses it is nice to have a bit more bulk and weight. Good luck sorting it out. And, I'll look forward to your comparison with the 50-135 Leighton. This is how we all learn...

Yep, this was what did me in. I hope you get a Df soon. I think I'll hold off to see if they do another version of it. There is supposed to be another DSLR coming out in a couple weeks in time for Photokina.

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
Fpessolano wrote:

Perhaps that is the reason Laura keeps dropping that statue of the devil on this thread and points a finger at me...

In truth, hanging out on this thread will invariably tickle one's fancy for one or another of these fine lenses. There are many in my kit that came only because of what I'd seen others do with a given lens. I'm delighted it is working for you Francesco...

We've been doing this for one another for ALMOST four years. We celebrate our four year anniversary THIS Friday. Don't miss it!

Leighton is providing beer and lamb chops. I believe Reagan has promised dancing girls...

Yea, all one has to do is come to the Shenandoah Valley.

1       2       3              4001      
       4003              5889       5890       end