Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3969

1       2       3              3969      
       3971              4067       4068       end

Stokesey
Total Posts: 692

Thank you all for your comments and likes on the birds ..... it's appreciated

As always there are some great pix posted here, and a really appreciative audience too ...... unlike some other threads

Still on the bird theme, and because I enjoyed taking these pix ...

In the same place as the Cranes there was an aviary .... in which was a Grey Headed Crane .... one of the African nations Symbols - Uganda I believe

So using the D800 + 500mm f4P and TC14As at ISO1000 again on a monopod

Here you go

Steve

Stokesey

saph wrote:
And I thought about it later but hope the summer sun didn't burn a little hole in the S2's cloth shutter

Should probably not do that again, lucky to have found one in which everything works after ~60 years.

Hey Samy .... I hope so too .....

Love you pix of the event .... The loop pic is great but a little odd to my eyes ....

I tried it by rotating it 90 degrees and it looked more natural ...

But I'm probably on a roller coaster and my eyes are screwed ....

I guess you posted it as taken ....

Hope you don't mind me showing my take on it ....

Steve

Stokesey

Nuno .... Love the composition on the first shot ... nicely done ...

The hat sets it off nicely

Ram that Milky Way shot is brilliant ....

just wish we could get that view in the UK .... but seems not !!

Steve

mp356
Total Posts: 4203

Samy, love the airshow shot into the sun. I also like Steve's rotation of it placing the darker sky at the bottom and sun at the top.

Steve, great head shot of these birds. Nice color and detail.

Ram, nice "backyard" shots. The conversion on the deer is great. On the star exposure I am surprised your sky is dark enough with all the man made light that I assume you have.

Ray (OH), the 16mm on DX is very interesting. Even de-fished it produces a wider angle of view than the 18 mm Ais I had although at the expense of perfectly straight lines.

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1080

Samy, I like the conversion of the plane loop, though I have to say I prefer the rotated version. Great capture nonetheless. Pretty sure your shutter is fine, looks like you did not have a tele on the camera, and hopefully it was not aimed at the sun for too long.

Ram, I never even thought about night sky pics in urbanized area. Looks like it's at least worth a try.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3474

Very very cool Steve!

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 306

Stokesey wrote:
Ram that Milky Way shot is brilliant ....

just wish we could get that view in the UK .... but seems not !!

Steve

mp356 wrote:
Ram, nice "backyard" shots. The conversion on the deer is great. On the star exposure I am surprised your sky is dark enough with all the man made light that I assume you have.

pbraymond wrote:
Ram, I never even thought about night sky pics in urbanized area. Looks like it's at least worth a try.

Thank you guys for your comments. I use this US map http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/ to see how dark the skies are. If you are in white area, typically you have too much light pollution.
I am in the red area., but the key is that I face a farm which no lights beaming back into the camera. There is immense light pollution in the distance., but I waited until the milky way was above that.

Also, I over-exposed for the sky and then brought the foreground exposure back (RAW processing). What you see is the trees surrounding our condominium lighted by LED Street Lights.

The SOOC shot has almost white foreground and a red-purple sky. I had to work on the contrast, clarity to get as much detail from the stars.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2543

Steve, killer bird portraits;

Ram, loved the B&W wildlife, remembering the old days before colour slides were commomplace;

Samy, great capture of the plane loop.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4892

mp356 wrote:

Ray (OH), the 16mm on DX is very interesting. Even de-fished it produces a wider angle of view than the 18 mm Ais I had although at the expense of perfectly straight lines.

I loved the 16mm on my D7000 and used it extensively. I think it works out to be around 21mm. The 18mm with it's straight line would be 27mm
Almost every photo in my Charleston folder is using the D7000 and the 16mm 3.5
http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/p296948894

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2722

It was because of you Ray and a couple of others here that I got ahold of the 10.5 AF fisheye. I use it occasionally and defish it using DxO. It is a fun lens, just don't use it that often because I have to defish it (I don't like the fisheye look all that much) and it is hard to setup the shot with defishing in mind.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2543

I know, I know, this is craziness, but after I saw a pristine-like D2Xs at a stealing price, I don't hesitate and bought the old beast just to have a lot of fun again (I had a D2X and I missed the ergonomics, built, high FPS crop mode, total compatibility with TC16A, and impressive images at ISO 100-200). And I love to use obsolete equipment!

Also bought a 400/3.5 EDIF, main culprits being Rafael, Georg and Ram

The "obsolete" combo:

"Obsolete" equipment por labecoaves, no Flickr

From left to right:
Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 ais IF-ED (70's design); TC-16A teleconverter (80's design); D2Xs (05's design).
Taken with the "outdated" D600 (hey, we have the D610!!!) + the "obsolete" Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd, ISO 1600, f/2.8 at 1/160s), and some "obsolete" grain & sepia tone added in PP.

And some of the first images taken with this obsolete combo, more than 100m away:

Motorcycle at 120m away with 640mm f/5.6 semi AF telephoto por labecoaves, no Flickr

Bikers at 100m away with a 640mm f/5.6 semi AF telephoto por labecoaves, no Flickr

Both images with D2Xs + TC16A + Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 ais IF-ED (= 640mm f/5.6) + tripod, ISO 320, f/5.6 (wide open) at 1/640s, ~30% cropped.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3474

Scott asked me about Oolong the other day...

On command to roll to the left

roll 0012 by Zichar, on Flickr

kwoodard

Thats awesome Chin, love it!

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2921

105 2.5 ais :

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 306

asiostygius wrote:

Also bought a 400/3.5 EDIF, main culprits being Rafael, Georg and Ram

Jose., you wont regret getting the 400mm f3.5. Its my favourite telephoto lens even though its no where as sharp at f3.5 and f4 like Rafael's or Georg's version.
Partly this is due to the abuse my copy has undergone (Front glass chipped on the edges) at the hands of Press.

nampramos
Total Posts: 246

Went for a visit to the botanical garden today in Funchal, Madeira's capital.

I simply love the bokeh of the 85/1.4 AIS (with the PK-11 tube).

DSC_4568.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

DSC_4573.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

DSC_4569.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

mp356

Chin, glad to see Oolong is still entertaining you. Very creative composition. Does she require "payment" for modeling?

Nuno, lovely flowers.

Jose, love the "obsolete" combo. Looks like they work together very well.

mp356

A thank you to Ray and Jose for helping me sort out the exposure issue with my 25-50 f4 Ai mounted on the D7000. After learning what Ray found out and Jose suggested, I ran some tests using the lens on my D7000. I shot against an evenly lit painted wall so the metering would be consistent. I do not totally understand why this is, but if the non-cpu lens data is entered as a 25mm f4, the lens underexposes consistently by 2 stops. The histogram is well pushed up against the left side of the graph. However if I set the non-cpu lens entry as 50mm f4, it exposes perfectly with the hump in the histogram dead center of the graph. Guess I know what setting I will be using from now on. Thanks guys.
Scott

kwoodard

mp356 wrote:
A thank you to Ray and Jose for helping me sort out the exposure issue with my 25-50 f4 Ai mounted on the D7000. After learning what Ray found out and Jose suggested, I ran some tests using the lens on my D7000. I shot against an evenly lit painted wall so the metering would be consistent. I do not totally understand why this is, but if the non-cpu lens data is entered as a 25mm f4, the lens underexposes consistently by 2 stops. The histogram is well pushed up against the left side of the graph. However if I set the non-cpu lens entry as 50mm f4, it exposes perfectly with the hump in the histogram dead center of the graph. Guess I know what setting I will be using from now on. Thanks guys.
Scott

That is very interesting. Is the exposure consistent across the focal range when set to 50? Did you notice any similar behavior with the Series E 75-150?

mp356

kwoodard wrote:
mp356 wrote:
Scott

That is very interesting. Is the exposure consistent across the focal range when set to 50? Did you notice any similar behavior with the Series E 75-150?

With the 25-50, it does not matter what focal length or aperture setting that I use, the only variable that effects the histogram is the mm value input for the non-cpu setting. Per you thought, I just ran the 75-130 f3.5 through the same set of settings and exposures. Everything exposes perfectly. It must be something about the 25-50 and non-cpu settings.

1       2       3              3969      
       3971              4067       4068       end