Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3953

1       2       3              3953      
       3955              4436       4437       end

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6232

Brontodon wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
Only compact lenses like the 50/1.8D get to be made into AF versions because the optics are so small and light. The AF motor would have to be huge to move all that glass in the 105/2.5 . . .

Before Nikon put motors into each AF lens, the cameras had the motors. I was surprised even then that the never made a screw-drive version of the 105 f/2.5. It's an enormously popular and long-time staple of the Nikkor family and I thought they would have updated it for their AF cameras. Of course, they did make quite a number of autofocus versions of other lenses in the 105mm focal length.

Steve

Doesn't really make a difference where the AF motor would be - moving all the optics of the 105/2.5 would take a really big motor or be really really slow. Just too much glass . . .

Oosty
Total Posts: 4051

kwoodard wrote:
:

Ray,
Laughing because the last time I dove "scuba" in the ocean was the 1999. I do have over a 1000 cave dives and deep dives to 300 ffw.

When I go to the beach I always wear neoprene boots for the reasons you tried to avoid.

Back from the Doc who said NO weight bearing for two more months on the right ankle ... setback, of course and a new cast. Left leg still no weight bearing. Robin and I celebrated at "Five Guys."

1000 cave dives? Very impressive Ken.. By the way this is coming from a guy who cannot technically swim (i can go from one end of the swimming pool to the other, but cannot take breath in between strokes ;-) )

Kevin,

Right there with you. I can't hardly swim either. I am terrified if I cannot see the bottom.

I sailed on the 1996 Cape to Rio yacht race - 3500 miles across the South Atlantic.

At one stage we were virtually becalmed doing about 1.5 knots and swam alongside the yacht by jumping off the bow and catching a rope trailed behind to get back aboard. At the time we were about 5 kilometres above the ocean floor. I've never been frightened of the deep end again!

FWIW the ocean temperature at that time was about 30* C- lovely and warm!

Oosty

In response to Steve and his D200 I went outside yesterday - it was a miserable, windy winter's day with about 5 seasons. Wind , rain, sleet, sun and got a couple of pics with the D200 + 105 2.5 + a couple of tubes.

I have a long way to go to match the experts like Ronny and Curtis but this shows the D200 to be a pretty fair camera - imagine what it would be like in their hands.

Oosty

Just to remind you guys of winter - every night for the past 6 weeks!

No central heating and the underfloor is far too expensive to use!

nampramos
Total Posts: 470

Thank you Ken! That's one of my favorites. If you don't look at the tiny houses at the bottom of the cliff, you can't really notice the dimension of it all.

I would definitely recommend visiting Madeira Island at least once in a lifetime. Flights might not be cheap from the US but living here definitely is. And the winters here are sunny and about 18 to 22 Celsius.

Here's a few more if someone missed them:
www.flickr.com/photos/nampramos

Thanks for watching!

On another note: awesome Le Mans and racing photos! I love motor racing, especially Formula 1.

Big Appa
Total Posts: 1131

I think the ccd sensor in the D200 loves the Nikon MF lenses.

Our geranium
This was with the 55 3.5 micro, I forgot to change the lens in the camera's menu, the info will
read 28 3.5.

Ed

zephyres
Total Posts: 104

Nice Ed...it can be a tad difficult to not blow the red channel..I always do on my D700.

saph
Total Posts: 2501

Peter, thanks for the winter reminder. Please hang on to that winter in the southern hemisphere as long as you like and keep that warm fire going

Talking about the red channel, I badly blew it on my D800 a few days ago, the pics are unsalvageable. Ed, great job with those flowers!

the solitaire
Total Posts: 843

I found the time to scan some of the films I shot back in 2004. Back then with a Nikon FM2 and 80-200 f4 Ai-S Zoom Nikkor

The film used was Fuji NPH shot at 800 ISO

the solitaire
Total Posts: 843

The latest addition to my set of pre Ai manual focus lenses is the 20mm UD Nikkor. It showed up today and appears to be in pretty good shape.

I'll have to cut the aperture ring first so no pictures made with this lens yet

And here is the line up of MF lenses in my kit as of this moment

At the top, from left to right:
55mm f1,2 Nikkor - S.C Auto
105mm f2,5 Nikkor - P.C Auto
135mm f3,5 Nikkor - Q.C Auto
200mm f4 Nikkor - Q.C Auto

And below them, from left to right:
50mm f1,4 Nikkor - S.C Auto
28mm f2,0 Nikkor - N.C Auto
24mm f2,8 Nikkor - N.C Auto
20mm f3,5 Nikkor - UD Auto

Big Appa
Total Posts: 1131

Thanks all for the likes on the geranium photo. I seem to have the best luck with
reds when I slightly underexpose and or shoot in shade or indirect sunlight.

Ed

nampramos
Total Posts: 470

Really cool shots Buddy! Love the last one especially!

Yesterday I went for a Midnight Walk by the sea, took my D610 and two lenses: Nikkor 24/2.8 Ai and Nikkor 85/1.4 AIS.

Here is the shot with the 24/2.8 Ai. 500px portfolio link, please visit if you'd like to see that shot

And here is the shot with the 85/1.4 AIS. Hope you like both of them.

DSC_3879.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

Zichar
Total Posts: 3598

pushing daisies by Zichar, on Flickr

brewercm
Total Posts: 281

I know this is a ridiculously long thread but wanted to find an answer to a question and figured this might be the place. What would a good price be for a Nikon 105mm 2.5 AI lens that is in really good condition? I found one local that they are asking $140 for it and was just curious if that's decent?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

brewercm wrote:
I know this is a ridiculously long thread but wanted to find an answer to a question and figured this might be the place. What would a good price be for a Nikon 105mm 2.5 AI lens that is in really good condition? I found one local that they are asking $140 for it and was just curious if that's decent?

That's hard to say without seeing the lens. I usually always check the price for comparison with KEH. Here's a link to make it easy for you. Just take into account that KEH had a 6 month guaranty.

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35mm/system-Minolta-Manual-Focus/category-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses?s=1&bcode=MI&ccode=6&cc=3167&r=WG&f

Ray

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7909

There are days I should not read this thread while there's a coffee cup handy.. Ray and Kevin's water adventures had me laughing

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7909

Here's the current rates at KEH, make note of the ones with caps and without, and one missing the prongs.

brewercm wrote:

brewercm
Total Posts: 281

Thanks Ray. I did a search on KEH but couldn't find the AI version just one AI-S that they had.

This is the lens I saw but haven't looked at it in person yet.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pho/4483571675.html

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13636

Hi Clifton - Yes, this is a good place to get advice about Nikon MF lenses whether we're talking about performance or price. Some folks have a bias toward the AI-s version perhaps because its the latest manufactured, perhaps because it has the built in lens hood. That is certainly a convenient feature. Some prefer the AI-s versions because they typically have a shorter focus throw. Of course, if one is using these lenses for close work with extension tubes the longer throw can be useful.

I have two older versions of the 105 f/2.5 and have a lens hood that reverses that works quite well, so I wouldn't require the AI-s simply for the lens hood. Looking at the two photos of the lens you mention it looks pretty nice. The price is fair, though there is nothing to stop you from offering less, perhaps $125. But even if you spent $140 you'd be getting a fine deal when considering what AF lenses are selling for. Buy the lens and come on back to share some photos. We haven't seen an photos from Texas for some time. Our friend Alan seems to be so involved in raising his family that he doesn't have time to hang out with us. Good luck.

agentbird
Total Posts: 607

Long time no see guys, good to see that the thread is alive and kicking as it should!
I haven't used my 45 PC-E in ages, but it got a rare airing yesterday.

by AntonSoggiu, on Flickr

1       2       3              3953      
       3955              4436       4437       end