Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3952

1       2       3              3952      
       3954              5892       5893       end

Joseph.
Total Posts: 3603

I'm getting really good at manual focusing
Is it weird to get addicted to manual focusing? What's wrong with me? I've since acquired 2 more MFNG but the 105 2.5 AIS remains my favorite (so far!)

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

Fpessolano wrote:
For us and Canada people

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261551689050

He got a bad review for selling an 18 3.5 a couple months ago and ebay had to get the buyers money back
looks like the same lens but I could be wrong
I have been known to have been wrong before my wife says

R

Fpessolano
Total Posts: 278

I have no clue, I saw it and shared .... I would say that a bad review on the same lens means better avoid!

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 1120

ramkumar999 wrote:
Fpessolano wrote:
For us and Canada people

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261551689050

This seller has way too low score for many to try dealing with him.

The negative feedback was for a broken 18mm 3.5 lens serial number 193560, maybe repaired! The one offered is serial number 187795. The serial number range is from 180312 to 193830.

Here's the negative feedback write up!

Shipped broken item, delayed refund, had to have eBay step in for refund 3***3 May-19-14 10:04

Items was

Nikon Nikkor 18 mm F/3.5 Ai-S Wide Angle Lens. (EXCELLENT) (#261440987513)

US $334.00 View Item

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

Joseph, I love the last one. Well seen and captured!

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

DontShoot wrote:
I'm getting really good at manual focusing
Is it weird to get addicted to manual focusing? What's wrong with me? I've since acquired 2 more MFNG but the 105 2.5 AIS remains my favorite (so far!)

I love the first one Joseph and no, there's nothing wrong with you that we all haven't experienced. Using these old lenses, turning that ring as you watch the scene come in to focus, connects you to the image in a way that AF just can't do. Curtis likens it to a "religious experience".

Congrats on the new purchases. But watch out for that wallet!

BTW, I think I missed commenting on your last entry, but I loved the eyes of the driver looking at you in her mirror, well seen.

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 865

Joseph Great pelican series. Has Bruce Lee returned as a pelican?
-Jay-

Geoff CB
Total Posts: 204

I've just started processing my D800 files with Capture One. Love the colors far better than in lightroom.

Nikon 105 f2.5 @ 2.5

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Ken Hill wrote:
Ray terrific shots and am glad to have helped ... it wasn't my lens that got dropped in the punch was it? Yes, my buddy had loaned me a power chair that was over ten years old, that broke a gear in the axle from wear and tear and no way to fix it. The right thing to do and over his protests I traded it in on a younger used one and it is his to keep after I am through with it.

However that's not the news. Robin wasn't too happy with the D600 after seeing yours and decided she did not wan one. Instead she had no issue with my D800 and really liked the V1 with the Fx adapter. In the meantime I had an inquiry for my D800 that I turned down because she opted to sell off her D7000 and a couple of accompanying Dx lenses and put the money to my NEW Df.

Went to Marshall's and ordered it and hopefully will be there by the end of next week. Ordered the black on black which are a bit more scarce. We are now a Fx family with less lenses to pack and more lenses to share. The 18-200Dx on the V1 is a killer.

Tomorrow is the big day at the surgeon. It is something I sweat because decisions have to be made if the one bone is not yet healed as well as it needs to be.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and the comments and todays submission is a shutter speed test between a D700 with the 50-135 set on Ch and a bird. As you can see the bird won.

Wow ken that's great news. I am surprised that Robin didn't like the D600 because the size and controls are much the same as the D7000. Terrific that you were able to keep the D800 in your family and I know that she will love that camera. I can't wait to see your new DF camera!!!

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

My first panorama attempt with the 16mm f/3.5

I was completely unable to stitch these frames without first applying an adaptive wide angle filter, plus I had to drop the last 2 frames that completed the 360 view, I tried all modes, even Microsoft ICE, but the stitching results were rather avant-garde. I used a lot of overlap in these frames, 10 for a full circle, while 4 of them do complete the view fine. Stitching all 10 or just 4 was quite unsuccessful. Dropping the last two from the set and cropping off a little bit of imaginary Adobe mountains on the right side got me to this, which except for some fake clouds to fill a big hole up high is close to 320 or more degrees. I'll stick to lenses with less distortion for future panoramas.

View from Black Giant summit, Kings Canyon National Park. Bottom left is Le Conte Canyon where the John Muir Trail runs. Image center is the Ionian Basin, one of the most remote places in California, and the saddle under the big fat clouds on the right is Muir Pass where we came from that morning.

all frames f/8 1/500s ISO 100

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

In response to the recent love for the 105mm 2.5 by Joseph in LA (Hence the don' shoot?), Geoff and others.

Mine is ais, a lens I love and dont use enough, these from the D800 full res in Flickr, at 2.5, please get bigger screens.

Abstract SJC Mission

nikon nkkor 105mm 2.5 ais D800 at 2.5 san juan capistrano courtyard by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nkkor 105mm 2.5 ais D800 at 2.5 san juan capistrano ARCHES by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nkkor 105mm 2.5 ais D800 at 2.5 san juan capistrano bells by Rafael CA, on Flickr

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
Ken Hill wrote:
Ray terrific shots and am glad to have helped ... it wasn't my lens that got dropped in the punch was it? Yes, my buddy had loaned me a power chair that was over ten years old, that broke a gear in the axle from wear and tear and no way to fix it. The right thing to do and over his protests I traded it in on a younger used one and it is his to keep after I am through with it.

However that's not the news. Robin wasn't too happy with the D600 after seeing yours and decided she did not wan one. Instead she had no issue with my D800 and really liked the V1 with the Fx adapter. In the meantime I had an inquiry for my D800 that I turned down because she opted to sell off her D7000 and a couple of accompanying Dx lenses and put the money to my NEW Df.

Went to Marshall's and ordered it and hopefully will be there by the end of next week. Ordered the black on black which are a bit more scarce. We are now a Fx family with less lenses to pack and more lenses to share. The 18-200Dx on the V1 is a killer.

Tomorrow is the big day at the surgeon. It is something I sweat because decisions have to be made if the one bone is not yet healed as well as it needs to be.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and the comments and todays submission is a shutter speed test between a D700 with the 50-135 set on Ch and a bird. As you can see the bird won.

Wow ken that's great news. I am surprised that Robin didn't like the D600 because the size and controls are much the same as the D7000. Terrific that you were able to keep the D800 in your family and I know that she will love that camera. I can't wait to see your new DF camera!!!

+1 !

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Shane3v3 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Shane. This is your first post on this thread and only the seventh since you joined FM a month and a half ago. We love to talk about lenses and to share photos taken with them, at least so long as both camera and lens were made by Nikon. Enjoy yourself. When that bellows arrives take a photo of your setup and share it with us. We love seeing this gear almost as much as we love using it.

Thanks, now if I can actually get out with the MF lenses instead of taking the easy way out by bringing only the AF-S lenses.

For most of the folks who frequent this thread, AF lenses lose much of their appeal after we've enjoyed the experience of turning the focusing ring. Shooting with MF lenses requires a bit more engagement with the whole process. So, yes, take you camera and MF lenses for a spin and give us a report back. My guess is you'll enjoy yourself along the way...

CGrindahl

rolubich wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Well... Curtis shared images often enough with the 135mm f2.8 Q.C. that he talked me in to buying one.

I couldn't resist this lens (like new) and for under 100 bucks. Now I'll either modify it myself or send it off to have it done.

Excellent buy Leighton, I was very tempted to buy that lens too, price was low and conditions super, but the needed conversion and the lack of its Ai kit ring have kept me from clicking.
I'm already regretful

Be patient Roberto. I've bought THREE 135 f/2.8 Q.C. lenses with the AI conversion kit already installed. They're around. You simply have to keep your eye on the auction sites and be prepared to act when you find one. I believe EBay has a couple of converted Q lenses but there is no urgency with this adventure...

leighton w

Rafael, very nice light in these. I don't use mine nearly enough either. But here's one from yesterday with the 105/2.5 AIS.

Barbara, Ellie and Gus by T. Leighton Womack, on Flickr

CGrindahl

Reagan wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Samy - Great capture. When you get the chance to catch up with the thread, you'll see that we're posting images of us in our twenties, your turn buddy!

Andy - Nice set with the clock, but MAN is that thing creepy.

Roberto - Thanks. That seller has another one in the same condition. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-135mm-2-8-Q-C-Non-Ai-Manual-Focus-Lens-w-Caps-/251603147153?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3a94b75991

Leighton, the other lens looks like a Q not a QC
The serial # and the Q by itself on the front of the lens tells me so
I think his description is wrong
double check it for me

Reagan

It is very important to be well informed when it comes to these lenses since sellers often have no idea what they're selling. I did a quick search after Leighton made his purchase and found a K lens identified as a Q and some character claiming "factory AI" for a lens with a butchered aperture ring. We need to rely on serial numbers and well as what is printed on the lens. We need to look carefully at photos from every angle. Of course, as smart as I am, I still bought a K lens THINKING it was a Q.C.... Of course, a couple of glasses of rye whiskey will do that to you...

CGrindahl

How come Barbara looks so young and you have so much grey in your beard? You must have been a cradle robber...

Wonderful image and conversion Leighton. Eventually the people in our lives become ready to look without flinching at the camera lens. It is always a delight to photography folks willing to have their photo taken. She looks very comfortable. I note as well that your "puppy" has grown up...

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
How come Barbara looks so young and you have so much grey in your beard? You must have been a cradle robber...

Wonderful image and conversion Leighton. Eventually the people in our lives become ready to look without flinching at the camera lens. It is always a delight to photography folks willing to have their photo taken. She looks very comfortable. I note as well that your "puppy" has grown up...

First off, you're absolutely right about checking out the lenses on ebay and don't be afraid to ask the sellers questions.

Now...to Barbara having no grey hair. She's a red head, so they turn grey MUCH later in life. She's also nearly 9 years younger than this old man!

And yes, Gus is right at 100 pounds right now, not sure how much more he's gong to grow.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

CGrindahl wrote:
HCE HCE wrote:
Speaking of Fisheyes, here's a link to an interesting web site.
> ;http://www.pierretoscani.com/echo_fisheyes_english.html
-Jay-

Speaking of Fisheyes, here's a link to an interesting web site.
> ;http://www.pierretoscani.com/echo_fisheyes_english.html
-Jay
Boy have you made Jose and John happy...

For sure, I have already bookmarked this excellent resource

Fpessolano
Total Posts: 278

This place we are now in Brittany, Le Conquet, has the most spectacular tide I ever saw. But I admit I haven't seen many. Still the water recedes and comes back very deep inland leaving many boats standing on their fins or their side.

The result is that many people go around looking for seafood. Kids, including mine, go around with fish nets catching small fishing. But also adults go fishing hoping that some big fish got caught by the tide in the ponds.

Another thing I like here is the crabs :-) and also how every single tourist like me has taken a photo of these lobster nets :-) so I had to do the same.

The star of the day was the beach. Apart from the sun and the tan we get from it. It has a very special silver and folder glittering sand. As today it was somewhat raining, I did not bring the camera there for fear of damage in my old lenses. But I will try next time to capture how beautiful this is ... Now I can only share the effect of one day on the beach on my son ... From white and dark hair, to lobster red and kind of blond

All photos taken with the very old nikkor H 85/1.8 on D800 and processed (unfortunately) with snapseed on the ipad with which I seem not to manage to straighten any photo when needed. Today I has fun with this lens and a AF fisheye. Tomorrow, I hope to bring the 180 to the beach and the fisheye to the light houses (but AF so no sharing)! And sorry for the long post.

1       2       3              3952      
       3954              5892       5893       end