Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3878

1       2       3              3878      
       3880              5887       5888       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

John is our resident mountain goat... Fortunately, he typically has some MF Nikon gear with him so we can see the glorious wilderness areas of Washington. He is also the person who first introduced us to the 16 f/3.5 fisheye lens. I own one of the three copies he's bought and I'm certainly not alone in having been mesmerized by what he does with the lens. Now David has joined the club. It really is a lens worth owning even if you mount it occasionally. As John demonstrates, it creates beautiful sun stars. Ray demonstrated for us that when shooting DX it becomes a masterful rectilinear lens. The fisheye look seems to dissolve in DX.

I imagine John this was a summer day with family. John's wife works for REI, a major outfitter for outdoor activities, so he's well set when it comes to buying hiking gear. Clearly they want their daughters to enjoy the out of doors as much as they do. Great set of images John.

dhamments
Total Posts: 1105

Great shots John! I'm loving the work with the 16mm f3.5..... you really make it shine. I hope I can do justice by it when mine arrives...

Cheers and good light,
David

monday
Total Posts: 260

So I got skunked today... It happensbut I still make it a habit of PP and posting one image a day during the work week.

bikeCount by Ryan Monday, on Flickr

CGrindahl

That's the spirit Ryan. I love the fact you're shooting black and white. This really sparkles with great depth of field that works beautifully for a scene such as this. Nice conceived and well executed. I heard "a photo a day keeps the doctor away..."

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

In 16mm 3.5 fashion here is one of my favorites using this lens on the D600

cadman342001
Total Posts: 4461

Congrats in advance on the 16/3.5 David, I'm sure you will master it in time and you have some excellent mentors here to help you along the way. I would have jumped on the lens myself if funds had permitted.

Andy

CGrindahl

So I'm doing my best to keep the doctor at bay... here are a few from a walk this afternoon with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI mounted. I really think it is time to try another lens...

Picasa blew out another red photo today, so I'll need to post it to Flickr... what a pain in the butt!

cadman342001

If you remember the library shot I posted, here are some from the adjacent reading room. As you can see, unlike the other half of the building this side is all original !

Here's a linky to the info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picton_Reading_Room_and_Hornby_Library

35/1.4 AI btw at around f2.8-4.0

_AGM3973 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM3971 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM3977 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM3974 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

monday

Andy love the detailed shot of the lamp

cadman342001

CGrindahl wrote:
So I'm doing my best to keep the doctor at bay... here are a few from a walk this afternoon with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI mounted. I really think it is time to try another lens...

Picasa blew out another red photo today, so I'll need to post it to Flickr... what a pain in the butt!

Love the last one Curtis, even if I had to pan across on my laptop to see it all. Now that's a pain in the butt

I recall you mentioning posting 1200 wide vs 1000 wide recently. For purely selfish reasons, I'd like us to stick with 1000 wide if possible Unless it's a pano in which case 1600 is the go IMO.

Andy

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Curtis I love the first photo. The colors and abstract properties look so appealing. I especially like how you cropped the curve of the yellow and red leaf to meet at the top left corner. - Very nice!

dhamments

cadman342001 wrote:
Congrats in advance on the 16/3.5 David, I'm sure you will master it in time and you have some excellent mentors here to help you along the way. I would have jumped on the lens myself if funds had permitted.

Andy

Thanks Andy! I'm now debating the purchase of a DF vs. getting the lens converted by John White.... not sure how much the lens will be devalued (if at all) by modifying it....

Cheers, and excellent work recently as always!
David

dhamments

MDoc9523 wrote:
Curtis I love the first photo. The colors and abstract properties look so appealing. I especially like how you cropped the curve of the yellow and red leaf to meet at the top left corner. - Very nice!

+1 abstract and very appealing visually....

cadman342001

I would think it would only be devalued by the "purists" like Rafael, Curtis etc who want the lenses in as original a condition as possible but you could argue that by having it converted you are making it more marketable to more people ie those without a Df. Either way, that is only relevant if you ever sell it. I am interested in the Df too but perhaps I may wait for the Df2, same but hopefully a few more MP. I can dream right ?

Andy

monday

cadman342001 wrote:
I would think it would only be devalued by the "purists" like Rafael, Curtis etc who want the lenses in as original a condition as possible but you could argue that by having it converted you are making it more marketable to more people ie those without a Df. Either way, that is only relevant if you ever sell it. I am interested in the Df too but perhaps I may wait for the Df2, same but hopefully a few more MP. I can dream right ?

Andy

While we are wishing please please Nikon gods give me a full frame mirror less camera in fm2 size and build, high MPs, and great iso performance.

My 28 2.8 would have a new full time home

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

One from last week with the 35mm f2.0 Nikkor-O

CGrindahl

cadman342001 wrote:
Love the last one Curtis, even if I had to pan across on my laptop to see it all. Now that's a pain in the butt

I recall you mentioning posting 1200 wide vs 1000 wide recently. For purely selfish reasons, I'd like us to stick with 1000 wide if possible Unless it's a pano in which case 1600 is the go IMO.

Andy

I appreciate your comment Andy. I assume you had a similar problem with the 1200 image in second position as well. I admit I've posted a few larger photos, in part because I see so many larger photos being posted here and elsewhere. But I've made the comment before about respecting the limitations facing some of our members and if 1200 doesn't work for you I'll make it a point to hold to 1000 unless I'm doing a panorama. Again, I appreciate you speaking to your needs. We all should be doing that...

CGrindahl

MDoc9523 wrote:

Thanks Ray... not everyone would notice that point but I always consider when composing photos where lines go. If it makes sense to touch a corner I'll do it. This is one of the reasons I'm not a purist who expects that what I capture is what needs to be shared. I love the fact we have a digital darkroom in which to play with what we capture in the field. It all flows together... as you well know since you're very adept at post processing yourself...

CGrindahl

Andy is right David, I'm not a big fan of cutting aperture rings. I appreciate that with Nikon AI conversion kits all but gone that the only solution available for most folks is to do so. It saddens me because pre-AI lenses will never be replaced. I feel the same way when I see an old car demolished in a movie scene. Of course, if its a junker, no big deal... but please don't destroy a 1955 Ford Thunderbird or a 1957 Chevy BelAire coupe.

I've worked very hard and spent a fair amount of extra cash to build a kit of lenses, all of which are as Nikon intended them to be. Of course, the thought of owning a Df and being able to mount pre-AI lenses that haven't been converted is exciting to me, though honestly there aren't any old lenses I feel compelled to own.

IF a Df is in your budget, I'd encourage you to consider it. As I've followed discussions about the camera, it seems to me it is a dream for someone shooting as we do with MF lenses. Yes, it would be improved if there were a removable focusing screen but it seems to perform extremely well with the stock screen. I expect I'll eventually own one. You wouldn't be alone...

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8403

monday wrote:

cadman342001 wrote:

Andy

While we are wishing please please Nikon gods give me a full frame mirror less camera in fm2 size and build, high MPs, and great iso performance.

My 28 2.8 would have a new full time home

You'll have to make an offering to the Sony gods to get something close to that at the present time (like I have). Unfortunately the Sony A7R is your closest to an FM2 (or perhaps the A7s if you want 12MP and a silent electronic shutter).
The A7R has probably replaced my D800 for use with my MF Nikkors when focusing accuracy is required, otherwise the D800 gets used for everything else FX-related.

1       2       3              3878      
       3880              5887       5888       end