/forum/topic/929565/3804

1       2       3              3804      
       3806              4377       4378       end

georgms
Total Posts: 3493

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Hi guys
Been thinking for a while about getting a 300mm ED ai-s .. but perhaps found a
300 f2.8 Ai-s for a good price that will be in good condition ..
What say you? Anyone have experience with it?
comes with convertor Tc-14b + Tc-301

Hi Ronny, I have no personal experience with the 300/2.8 Ais, but fellow shooters have one as well as the first AF 300/2.8 and prefer the Ais over the old AF-model. You will absolutely love the super-smooth focusing-ring.
Go for it!

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3039

The Bartholdi fountain (Bartholdi also made the Statue of Liberty in NY) and the city hall of Lyon in the background :

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2680

asiostygius wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
Faster 400mm?

Though I love my 400/5.6 ED AI there are times I wished I had more shutter speed or lower ISO and hence a faster lens. I've considered the 500/4 AI-P, but with the increased magnification I'm really right back to f/5.6 ISO and shutter speed territory for what I shoot (long distance Puget Sound ferry shots).

So, there are faster 400mm lenses out there - preferring to stay with MF if possible as I don't use AF with my 400mm shots anyways.
- 400/3.5 ED-IF AIS
- 400/2.8 ED-IF AIS
- 400/2.8 AF-I D

The f/3.5 does not get the highest review by Bjorn and the one copy I tried did not do the D800 justice (I heavily crop many times). The f/2.8 AIS gets a rating equal to my 400/5.6 ED which would be great.

Anyone of you MF folks have direct experience with the 400/2.8 AIS or the AF-I for long distance shots?

John, if you like, as tomorrow is holydays over here, I can test my 400/2.8 AF-I vs. my 400/5.6 ED non IF at infinity.
Just let me know (don't tell Curtis ).
Of course, live view focusing for best focus possible, heavy tripod and remote shutter with mirror lockup and 5 s delay.

jhinkey wrote:
Faster 400mm?

Though I love my 400/5.6 ED AI there are times I wished I had more shutter speed or lower ISO and hence a faster lens. I've considered the 500/4 AI-P, but with the increased magnification I'm really right back to f/5.6 ISO and shutter speed territory for what I shoot (long distance Puget Sound ferry shots).

So, there are faster 400mm lenses out there - preferring to stay with MF if possible as I don't use AF with my 400mm shots anyways.
- 400/3.5 ED-IF AIS
- 400/2.8 ED-IF AIS
- 400/2.8 AF-I D

The f/3.5 does not get the highest review by Bjorn and the one copy I tried did not do the D800 justice (I heavily crop many times). The f/2.8 AIS gets a rating equal to my 400/5.6 ED which would be great.

Anyone of you MF folks have direct experience with the 400/2.8 AIS or the AF-I for long distance shots?

John, just to tell you I have posted the test in the MF shooters shooting AF thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1218828/81#12290149
Hope it can be helpful.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2549

georgms wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Hi guys

Hi Ronny, I have no personal experience with the 300/2.8 Ais, but fellow shooters have one as well as the first AF 300/2.8 and prefer the Ais over the old AF-model. You will absolutely love the super-smooth focusing-ring.
Go for it!

may consider .. is the older Ai-s Serial: 614xxx
Seen pictures of it now ..seems to be in excellent condition

georgms

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Hi guys

georgms wrote:
Go for it!

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
may consider .. is the older Ai-s Serial: 614xxx
Seen pictures of it now ..seems to be in excellent condition

I don't know which Ais-version my fellow-shooters are using, old or new. But if the price is right and the condition excellent it might be well worth a try. Re-selling a high-grade lens shouldn't be a problem and the financial loss is maybe like a renting-fee for a new AF-S 300/2.8 for a weekend...

georgms

Philippe, very nice framing of the Lyon-shot. Is your move done?

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 399

Hi Friends., reached Princeton, NJ this afternoon and checked in to the hotel. When I left Miami, it was pouring down like crazy at 80F., down here its a nice 65F with trees getting ready for spring.

Will catch up with the thread soon..
Spring is here by ramkumar999, on Flickr
Budding flowers by ramkumar999, on Flickr

georgms

Three walking-by-shots from today:

Ostermarkt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Easter-market in front of historical buildings - D700 + 135/2 at f/5.6

Ostermarkt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Ferris-wheel reflected in a window of the city hall - D700 +135/2 wide open

Schön bunt hier: Coaching-Zone (Gäste) im Schiffahrt-Hafen-Stadion von georgsfoto auf Flickr
coaching-zone on a soccer-field (shot during the halftime-break):
no fancy and heated leather-chairs here (we have countless soccer-fields here)
D7000 + Nikkor-H Auto 85/1.8 at f2, Kodak-Ultramax-preset tweaked

saph
Total Posts: 2444

More flowers with the 10.5cm f2.5 + D800 combo.

Flowers4 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2549

Georg : Closest focus distance is 4m on the older version and 3m on newer
performance I don't know
most the size and weight that makes me unsure

James Markus
Total Posts: 4468

Nikkor 50mm f1.2 12 image stitch...and resized.

cadman342001
Total Posts: 3044

Inside the garage....

_DSC8084 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8088 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8075 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8086 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8089 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1522

georgms wrote:
Joan, I like the diagonal framing of the well-image.

Chuong, great shot of your kids!

Rafael, love your car-shots with the 5.8cm Nikkor. Exemplary work with the shallow DoF. I also like the tones and colors, very nice match for the subjects. Any special processing in Nikon Capture?

Georg, use capture NX2 with a Nik effects plug in only, I am not real adventurous for processing and this does everything I have wanted so far, except stitching frames together.

The effects I use more are tonal contrast and glamour glow, in moderation.

dhamments
Total Posts: 366

Zichar wrote:
Wow David, nice light. How'd you stitch the skies and water?

Thanks Chin! The three images were captured in RAW format and then fed to my favourite RAW processor - Lightroom 5.4. From there it's simply a click to "merge to panorama in Photoshop CS6" (which is about all I use PS for). PS does a great job of merging the images seamlessly..

Here's a slightly different perspective on the scene, just before the sun drops below the horizon. This one taken with the "Leighton Lens" .... (you should seriously patent the name Leighton lol!)

Cheers and good light,
David

dhamments

joanlvh wrote:
DF+80-200

I especially like the first one.... nice geometric composition Joan!

Cheers and good light,
David

georgms

georgms wrote:
Joan, I like the diagonal framing of the well-image.

Chuong, great shot of your kids!

Rafael, love your car-shots with the 5.8cm Nikkor. Exemplary work with the shallow DoF. I also like the tones and colors, very nice match for the subjects. Any special processing in Nikon Capture?

rafaelcasd wrote:
Georg, use capture NX2 with a Nik effects plug in only, I am not real adventurous for processing and this does everything I have wanted so far, except stitching frames together.

The effects I use more are tonal contrast and glamour glow, in moderation.

Thanks, Rafael! It was the "glow" that caught my eyes. I've over-used "tonal contrast" for a while, right now I like "pro contrast" as well as the borders.
Anyway, your choice/micture of subjects, lens and processing go very well together.

dhamments

kwoodard wrote:
dhamments wrote:
Thanks for the likes everyone! There are so many fine photos uploaded daily on this forum that I find myself "liking" so many that I sometimes feel guilty when reading the sequential comments that some members take the time to compose. Rest assured that I look at each and every post despite not commenting as often as I'd like.....

It's off to bed in Oz for now, and I leave you with a three image pano taken with my current favourite MF lens... the 28 2.8 ais

Cheers and good light,
David

David, that is gorgeous! Very well done.

Thanks Kevin! It's nice to bring home a few keepers every time you go out with your gear (but we both know that doesn't happen).... walking around that dead tree, waiting for the sun to set, the other perspectives didn't quite do it for me....
I had the 50-135 f3.5 ais on the D700 to start. BTW, nice job reversing the 50! I haven't tried that yet.... oh no, more gear!

Cheers and good light,
David

dhamments

kwoodard wrote:
Last but not least, my favorite E, the 50/1.8.

_DSC9340 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Seems I have found something I am good at shooting...motorcycles.

_DSC9343 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC9344 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC9347 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

It seems you've found your niche Kevin.... your motorcycle photos are ALWAYS stunning!

Cheers, David

dhamments

Nice series once again Georg! You are blessed to be living in such an interesting, colourful and photogenic place!

Cheers and good light,
David

dhamments

cadman342001 wrote:
Inside the garage....

_DSC8084 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8088 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8075 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8086 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC8089 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Andy, I must say I've enjoyed the entire "old feel" series and have to ask about the processing...... how have you applied the "sepia like" effect to the shots in the shops and in the garage? Have you applied an old "film effect" or some other LR plugin? Enquiring minds want to know...

Cheers and good light,
David

1       2       3              3804      
       3806              4377       4378       end