Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3802

1       2       3              3802      
       3804              5890       5891       end

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

I must admit I did like the D4 sensor when I had it ....

But lusted after the D800 for crop and all sorts of other reasons ......

Anyway .... I love my D800 and would perhaps add a Df when the price regulates itself a bit.

Out by the water again .... this time the gulls were having a bit of afternoon delight !!

And a balancing act ... why it couldn't have stepped one or two steps forward .... bird brain I guess

500mm f4P D800 monopod

Steve

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 1118

Yup! However no excuse is really needed!

CGrindahl wrote:
For better or worse here I go. Again, having two D700 cameras make this exercise much simpler. Maybe I need to keep both cameras just for that reason...

The setup...

Cameras are setup identically. Again, I'm shooting wide open, hand held but did my best to remain fixed at each location I shot only moving to change cameras, both of which hung on my neck. I always thought folks who had multiple cameras on their necks a bit strange... so I've joined a club of which I'm not certain I wish to be a member...

All images have been adjusted only by reducing exposure. I was shooting center weighted metering and all the images were a touch over-exposed. Beyond that the only change was to reduce size and convert to JPG since I shoot only RAW.

The second shot I selected because of the busy background in the distance.

And finally, 100% crops of two busy images so folks can check closely for CA and any other anomalies worth mentioning.

I don't see much that distinguishes these two lenses despite the fact they have differing optical designs. Maybe its Nikon's secret sauce...

craigjohn
Total Posts: 362

rafaelcasd wrote:
James Markus wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Hi guys
Thinking of Replacing D700 to D800 .. unsure .. help
is a used D800 .. 5000k exposures and is 6 months old ..warranty etc.
and an extra battery and original battery grip ..
price is about $ 1,700 with trade in D700
My D700 has around 55-60k exposures
keep in mind that a D800 costs about $ 3100 here in Sweden and new battery grip
and extra battery 500dollar
D700 usually go for used in Sweden around 1000 Dollars
What I am unsure of is if it fits my pictures and how it will perform handhold
as I always do on the D700 and MF focus

Ronny, the answer is simple, all you are getting is more pixels and video, is that what you want? with the D700 you can print great 12*18. With the D800 you can print 20*30. It will be harder to get a perfectly sharp photo.

The

That's not a good comparison of the D700 and D800 - you get far far more than more pixels and video:
- 100% Viewfinder
- 100 ISO
- f/8 focus points
- dual card slots
- far better sensor (no sensor streaking at high ISO)
- lighter
- higher DR
- sharper images when downsampled to 12MP

It will be just as easy to get a sharp 12MP image with the D800 as it was with the D700 and to get sharp 36MP images you will have to adapt your technique a bit.

+1

I would also add
- the ability to change aspect ratios
- the ability to change crop factors
- better noise characteristics
- more latitude in after the fact cropping
- better anti aliasing filters in both the D800 and 800E
- Dual-axis Virtual Horizon (on LCD screen/viewfinder)* (compared to single-axis)

And more....

OK, I stand corrected that there are more differences bewteen the D700 and the D800, I was going off my having a D3 with the same sensor as the D700, and a D800; but the bottom line is that the differences I listed are those important for me, not really a good description of the camera differences, and the latter is the question.

I am going to throw a question to this group, I do a fair amount of theater work, I do not need 36mps for this, but the down sampled D800 at ISO 3200 is pretty decent for noise, the D3 not so much.

I set the camera at ISO 3200 and dial in from -1 to -3 for exp comp to keep the highlights under control. The shadows under this condition are too noisy in the D3.

I am tired of processing 36mp files to get low noise. Last time I took 1000 shots and downselected to 125!

Is the D4 sensor in a Df housing much better at ISO 3200 than the D3? I love the D3 at 1600 and don't like it at 3200. how much better is the Df in ISO values? is the Df at 3200 same as the D3 at 1600? or?r

I go under the assumption that ISO 3200 and above is going to have noise. When I shot the D3 and the D3s side by side, there was maybe a 1/2 stop, to a full stop difference in noise at 3200 and above. Meaning, ISO 3200 with the D3s resembled ISO 1600 (maybe 2000) from the D3.

But rather than fighting the noise, I appreciated the grain, especially in the black and white photos. So with that, I used the D3 interchangeably with the D3s.

This December I sold both the D3 and the D3s and now own a D600 and a D610. The noise at ISO 3200 is relative to that of the D3s, IMO, especially when you down-sample the files to 12MP (about 14 inches on the long end at 300 ppi).
Again, the I embrace the grain of the D600/610 bodies at ISO's over 3200. ISO 6400 is very useable for me. ...but remember, everyone's tastes, thresholds for noise, is different.

I do want a DF so I feel less apprehensive at shooting above ISO 6400, as that's where I think you'll notice the biggest difference with the D4 sensor.

I would love to hear what former D3 and D3s users (now current DF users) have to say in comparisons between those three camera bodies.

j-photo
Total Posts: 91

rafaelcasd wrote:
I am going to throw a question to this group, I do a fair amount of theater work, I do not need 36mps for this, but the down sampled D800 at ISO 3200 is pretty decent for noise, the D3 not so much.

I set the camera at ISO 3200 and dial in from -1 to -3 for exp comp to keep the highlights under control. The shadows under this condition are too noisy in the D3.

I am tired of processing 36mp files to get low noise. Last time I took 1000 shots and downselected to 125!

Is the D4 sensor in a Df housing much better at ISO 3200 than the D3? I love the D3 at 1600 and don't like it at 3200. how much better is the Df in ISO values? is the Df at 3200 same as the D3 at 1600? or?

I shoot theater with both the D800 and the Df, although I have never shot with the D3. I find the Df more than a full stop cleaner than the D800 at high iso. Here is a Df sample, at 3600 ISO, all noise reduction turned off in Capture NX2. Exposure compensation was -0.7 in camera and +1 in post processing. Lens was 80-200 AFS:

Zichar
Total Posts: 3761

duahao: I love the brilliant colours in the first flower shot; that's a lot of bees in the second!

Zichar

Continuing the street sweep with Dean
All were shot with the D700 + 28 2.8 AIS, zone-focused to roughly 4 ft
I tried to guesstimate exposure in the beginning, thinking to mimic my film shooting habits
But gave up and relied on Auto-ISO instead

vitamins by Zichar, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

This is all wonderful work Chin. You may not feel comfortable doing this kind of shooting but you've done a marvelous job at it. And I'm enjoying the conversion as well. These have a gritty feel that doubtless represents the world through which you were walking and shooting. Keep em coming my friend.

Zichar

Thanks Curtis. Have had to skip quite a few; blurry motion or just awkward angles. Sigh, a lot more throwaways than keepers, far surpassing my usual ratio. Am getting the hang of Silver Efex too... I think
Though not for the next one...

Their legs are delicacies, stir fried kung pao style with dried chillis, onions and cashew nuts ... or simply with ginger and scallions (or even scapes ). Tastes like chicken, or so their monikers suggest; in Cantonese they're translated literally as field chicken. I'm guessing found in rice paddy fields, taste like...

the price of real estate by Zichar, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

duahau02 wrote:
My new Picture
D300s + Nikkor zoom 43-86 f3.5 AI

Nhụy hoa by trghieu2002, on Flickr

D300s + Nikon E 70-210 f4

Chen chúc by trghieu2002, on Flickr

Wow, those are fantastic! Two very under-rated lenses that you have made to perform!

CGrindahl

You are a poet Chin... always love how your write about a scene and how you title your work. You have a fertile mind as well as a great appreciation for FOOD... A man after my own heart...

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Morning Curtis.

leighton w

Zichar wrote:
Thanks Curtis. Have had to skip quite a few; blurry motion or just awkward angles. Sigh, a lot more throwaways than keepers, far surpassing my usual ratio. Am getting the hang of Silver Efex too... I think
Though not for the next one...

Their legs are delicacies, stir fried kung pao style with dried chillis, onions and cashew nuts ... or simply with ginger and scallions (or even scapes ). Tastes like chicken, or so their monikers suggest; in Cantonese they're translated literally as field chicken. I'm guessing found in rice paddy fields, taste like...

the price of real estate by Zichar, on Flickr

When done right, frog legs are very good.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

CGrindahl wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
I have the lens bug again. Since I have a shoot coming up I am going to need some wide coverage. I have been looking at primes, but I happened to look at my cabinet and saw the 46-83 sitting in there and remembered that there is a 25-50/4 AI out there. Anyone have one? How is it?

Also of note, I have been having a lot of local people asking about the lenses we all adore. I have had a surge in people commenting on my work being very interested in the lenses I use. One guy pulled a Curtis and unloaded his Canon gear and bought a D610 and a slew of the usual suspects we showcase here. I keep telling him he should stop by, but he isn't a computer person at all. He processes his stuff in View NX when he doesn't SOOC.

I have also been helping a lot of folks with macro stuff. I find it interesting how so many people have never heard of extension tubes or reversing a lens. I have received so much positive feedback on my way of explaining gear and technique, been rather shocking. I may start a blog.

The lens bug never really goes away Kevin. Yes, it can lie dormant for a period of time but it always returns...

Going wide when shooting with a DX camera is a challenge, especially if you're interested in MF lenses. If 25 works for you... 37.5mm, the 25-50 f/4 is a fine lens, though a bit slow if you're working anywhere but outside. It is a wonderful focal range when shooting FX though I'm more inclined to shoot with primes than zooms. But it is a very well-made lens. Here's a shot with the lens taken on the waterfront in Sausalito. I find color and contrast quite lovely with this lens.

What I need to add in my kit is something to get me to the equivalent of a 35mm and a 50mm. I have considered a few AF lenses as well, just to help with the shoot, but I don't really know what to pick. If I could afford the 35/1.4 I would be all over that lens. Not sure what to look at in the 20~24 range, I really like the look the 20/3.5 UD renders...

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Zichar wrote:
duahao: I love the brilliant colours in the first flower shot; that's a lot of bees in the second!

+1 on these. Lovely work.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Gee Leighton. Should you go down the path of the 135 f2 Ais, what will become of the cherished 50-135?

j-photo
Total Posts: 91

Alas, I have been scolded for going off topic. Just trying to help a fellow photog.

leighton w

mp356 wrote:
Gee Leighton. Should you go down the path of the 135 f2 Ais, what will become of the cherished 50-135?

Don't worry, I'll never give that one up!

Fons Baerken
Total Posts: 92

Df 135mm f/2 ai-d

CGrindahl

Don't worry Joe, you're neither the first, nor I expect the last person who will find their way to this thread without understanding what we're up to. And I'm not above recruiting folks who don't at the moment have an MF Nikon lens, encouraging them to buy one so they can hang out with us. A fellow bought a 105 f/2.5 AI-s last week after receiving my PM and I expect he'll show up here any day now. I know they have MF Nikkors for sale in Seattle because one of our regulars, John Hinkey lives in West Seattle and he has bought quite a few of them. He even directed me to Cameratechs which is in Seattle when they had a lens available that had interested me. I bought it... So you can always come play with us for the minimal investment in lenses of great quality and craftsmanship...

No harm, no foul.

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:
Morning Curtis.

I walked out the door about the time you posted this and I expect you're out in the field as i write this. Sunday morning is when I expect we'll both be here at the same time. Have a great week my friend. I expect you're working pretty hard at the moment. I'm not working quite as hard, though I was on my hands and knees yesterday scraping underlayment residue and glue in anticipation of whatever is ultimately placed on the floor of Sue's condo. I can handle a few hours of such work, but I'm afraid my days of manual labor are long gone... I leave that you to young whipper snappers...

1       2       3              3802      
       3804              5890       5891       end