Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3801

1       2       3              3801      
       3803              5890       5891       end

pburke
Total Posts: 3008

Curtis, Lobotomy Bock is what you ought to drink in California

back in those days when I still drank beer, it was the one I tried to locate whenever I visited the state, mostly because of it's cool name. Otherwise, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA was my #1, and that's from somebody who started drinking beer in Germany many moons ago.

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 865

Lobotomy Bock! With a name like that it must be something!

D800 135mm f/2 with 27.5mm extension

-Jay-

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9316

Thanks Ken, unfortunately the interview got moved to Monday as the hiring manager had a conflict. Patience, patience...

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 1118

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Thanks Ken, unfortunately the interview got moved to Monday as the hiring manager had a conflict. Patience, patience...

You will do fine!

I go home Saturday. Nearly a month in hospital and rehab. Upper body strength and 150% effort.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Leaf having its turn in the spotlight. 300 4.5 ED AIS lens.

InTheSpotlight by maryland_photos, on Flickr

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Haven't looked at recent pages so whatever the interview is for good luck Laura!!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

saph wrote:
Leaf having its turn in the spotlight. 300 4.5 ED AIS lens.

InTheSpotlight by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Well, that now is my favorite shot of yours. Love the minimalist nature of it.

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 5366

Nikon Df with Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai. SOOC .jpg except for crop to fit it in here. Second pic has appreciable noise w/ just ambient light. Also SOOC except for crop

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

leighton w wrote:
Curtis, I see a tad of CA in the P-lens, but really, that's about all the difference I see. Thanks for doing these comparisons, now do the same thing with all the lenses you have multiples of.

About my 50/1.2, I've thought about this for awhile and have decided I want to sell it to put the money towards what I've really been dreaming about, the 135mm f2 AIS. For the type of use I use my 50 for, the 55/2.8 micro does a better job simply because I can get closer. I just HATE to have lenses I don't use very much sitting around.

I haven't listed it yet, but if anyone on this thread wants it, send me a PM, it comes with the metal lens hood.

Another case of NMFAS re-emerges.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

James Markus wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Hi guys
Thinking of Replacing D700 to D800 .. unsure .. help
is a used D800 .. 5000k exposures and is 6 months old ..warranty etc.
and an extra battery and original battery grip ..
price is about $ 1,700 with trade in D700
My D700 has around 55-60k exposures
keep in mind that a D800 costs about $ 3100 here in Sweden and new battery grip
and extra battery 500dollar
D700 usually go for used in Sweden around 1000 Dollars
What I am unsure of is if it fits my pictures and how it will perform handhold
as I always do on the D700 and MF focus

Ronny, the answer is simple, all you are getting is more pixels and video, is that what you want? with the D700 you can print great 12*18. With the D800 you can print 20*30. It will be harder to get a perfectly sharp photo.

The

That's not a good comparison of the D700 and D800 - you get far far more than more pixels and video:
- 100% Viewfinder
- 100 ISO
- f/8 focus points
- dual card slots
- far better sensor (no sensor streaking at high ISO)
- lighter
- higher DR
- sharper images when downsampled to 12MP

It will be just as easy to get a sharp 12MP image with the D800 as it was with the D700 and to get sharp 36MP images you will have to adapt your technique a bit.

+1

I would also add
- the ability to change aspect ratios
- the ability to change crop factors
- better noise characteristics
- more latitude in after the fact cropping
- better anti aliasing filters in both the D800 and 800E
- Dual-axis Virtual Horizon (on LCD screen/viewfinder)* (compared to single-axis)

And more....

OK, I stand corrected that there are more differences bewteen the D700 and the D800, I was going off my having a D3 with the same sensor as the D700, and a D800; but the bottom line is that the differences I listed are those important for me, not really a good description of the camera differences, and the latter is the question.

I am going to throw a question to this group, I do a fair amount of theater work, I do not need 36mps for this, but the down sampled D800 at ISO 3200 is pretty decent for noise, the D3 not so much.

I set the camera at ISO 3200 and dial in from -1 to -3 for exp comp to keep the highlights under control. The shadows under this condition are too noisy in the D3.

I am tired of processing 36mp files to get low noise. Last time I took 1000 shots and downselected to 125!

Is the D4 sensor in a Df housing much better at ISO 3200 than the D3? I love the D3 at 1600 and don't like it at 3200. how much better is the Df in ISO values? is the Df at 3200 same as the D3 at 1600? or?

And I offer the sunset rainbow of peace in atonement.

nikon nikkor 28mm 3.5 PC D800 sunset rainbow by Rafael CA, on Flickr

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Curtis, I see a tad of CA in the P-lens, but really, that's about all the difference I see. Thanks for doing these comparisons, now do the same thing with all the lenses you have multiples of.

About my 50/1.2, I've thought about this for awhile and have decided I want to sell it to put the money towards what I've really been dreaming about, the 135mm f2 AIS. For the type of use I use my 50 for, the 55/2.8 micro does a better job simply because I can get closer. I just HATE to have lenses I don't use very much sitting around.

I haven't listed it yet, but if anyone on this thread wants it, send me a PM, it comes with the metal lens hood.

Another case of NMFAS re-emerges.

Dream on Leighton, your dream lens is out there waiting for you!

NIKON NIKKOR 135MM 2.0 AIS Arrival 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Man, you sure do find pristine lenses Rafael... These are both beauties. I'm sure Leighton will be happy when he finally adds the f/2 to his kit, but the pre-AI lenses are certainly not chopped liver. Kit building is definitely a pleasurable pastime...

CGrindahl

A photo taken this morning during my informal comparison of the two 105mm lenses. This I processed using my normal workflow. The shot was taken with the AI-s lens... my neighbor's mailbox...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

I have the lens bug again. Since I have a shoot coming up I am going to need some wide coverage. I have been looking at primes, but I happened to look at my cabinet and saw the 46-83 sitting in there and remembered that there is a 25-50/4 AI out there. Anyone have one? How is it?

Also of note, I have been having a lot of local people asking about the lenses we all adore. I have had a surge in people commenting on my work being very interested in the lenses I use. One guy pulled a Curtis and unloaded his Canon gear and bought a D610 and a slew of the usual suspects we showcase here. I keep telling him he should stop by, but he isn't a computer person at all. He processes his stuff in View NX when he doesn't SOOC.

I have also been helping a lot of folks with macro stuff. I find it interesting how so many people have never heard of extension tubes or reversing a lens. I have received so much positive feedback on my way of explaining gear and technique, been rather shocking. I may start a blog.

Fons Baerken
Total Posts: 92

i love a good ipa

CGrindahl

kwoodard wrote:
I have the lens bug again. Since I have a shoot coming up I am going to need some wide coverage. I have been looking at primes, but I happened to look at my cabinet and saw the 46-83 sitting in there and remembered that there is a 25-50/4 AI out there. Anyone have one? How is it?

Also of note, I have been having a lot of local people asking about the lenses we all adore. I have had a surge in people commenting on my work being very interested in the lenses I use. One guy pulled a Curtis and unloaded his Canon gear and bought a D610 and a slew of the usual suspects we showcase here. I keep telling him he should stop by, but he isn't a computer person at all. He processes his stuff in View NX when he doesn't SOOC.

I have also been helping a lot of folks with macro stuff. I find it interesting how so many people have never heard of extension tubes or reversing a lens. I have received so much positive feedback on my way of explaining gear and technique, been rather shocking. I may start a blog.

The lens bug never really goes away Kevin. Yes, it can lie dormant for a period of time but it always returns...

Going wide when shooting with a DX camera is a challenge, especially if you're interested in MF lenses. If 25 works for you... 37.5mm, the 25-50 f/4 is a fine lens, though a bit slow if you're working anywhere but outside. It is a wonderful focal range when shooting FX though I'm more inclined to shoot with primes than zooms. But it is a very well-made lens. Here's a shot with the lens taken on the waterfront in Sausalito. I find color and contrast quite lovely with this lens.

CGrindahl

Fons Baerken wrote:
i love a good ipa

When I visited the Netherlands to spend time with my friend Rinie who lives in Rotterdam, we more often than not were drinking beer from Belgium. Of course, Rinie is more a wine drinker than a beer aficionado so her familiarity with what is available is a bit limited. Perhaps if I make another trip to visit her I'll ask your advice. We have a great number of brewpubs in and around San Francisco Bay, so excellent craft beer is abundant. And IPA certainly suits my taste.

duahau02
Total Posts: 30

My new Picture
D300s + Nikkor zoom 43-86 f3.5 AI

Nhụy hoa by trghieu2002, on Flickr

D300s + Nikon E 70-210 f4

Chen chúc by trghieu2002, on Flickr

Fons Baerken

Belgian is pretty famous for its beers most of them are what they call Trappist beers, high percentage alcohol originally brewed by monks, fathers Trappist, hence the name they come in blonde , double, triple etc flavours.
Ale , stouts are quite different, and so are types like the well' known lagers, white beer and so on

Fons Baerken

rafaelcasd wrote:
James Markus wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Hi guys
Thinking of Replacing D700 to D800 .. unsure .. help
is a used D800 .. 5000k exposures and is 6 months old ..warranty etc.
and an extra battery and original battery grip ..
price is about $ 1,700 with trade in D700
My D700 has around 55-60k exposures
keep in mind that a D800 costs about $ 3100 here in Sweden and new battery grip
and extra battery 500dollar
D700 usually go for used in Sweden around 1000 Dollars
What I am unsure of is if it fits my pictures and how it will perform handhold
as I always do on the D700 and MF focus

Ronny, the answer is simple, all you are getting is more pixels and video, is that what you want? with the D700 you can print great 12*18. With the D800 you can print 20*30. It will be harder to get a perfectly sharp photo.

The

That's not a good comparison of the D700 and D800 - you get far far more than more pixels and video:
- 100% Viewfinder
- 100 ISO
- f/8 focus points
- dual card slots
- far better sensor (no sensor streaking at high ISO)
- lighter
- higher DR
- sharper images when downsampled to 12MP

It will be just as easy to get a sharp 12MP image with the D800 as it was with the D700 and to get sharp 36MP images you will have to adapt your technique a bit.

+1

I would also add
- the ability to change aspect ratios
- the ability to change crop factors
- better noise characteristics
- more latitude in after the fact cropping
- better anti aliasing filters in both the D800 and 800E
- Dual-axis Virtual Horizon (on LCD screen/viewfinder)* (compared to single-axis)

And more....

OK, I stand corrected that there are more differences bewteen the D700 and the D800, I was going off my having a D3 with the same sensor as the D700, and a D800; but the bottom line is that the differences I listed are those important for me, not really a good description of the camera differences, and the latter is the question.

I am going to throw a question to this group, I do a fair amount of theater work, I do not need 36mps for this, but the down sampled D800 at ISO 3200 is pretty decent for noise, the D3 not so much.

I set the camera at ISO 3200 and dial in from -1 to -3 for exp comp to keep the highlights under control. The shadows under this condition are too noisy in the D3.

I am tired of processing 36mp files to get low noise. Last time I took 1000 shots and downselected to 125!

Is the D4 sensor in a Df housing much better at ISO 3200 than the D3? I love the D3 at 1600 and don't like it at 3200. how much better is the Df in ISO values? is the Df at 3200 same as the D3 at 1600? or?

And I offer the sunset rainbow of peace in atonement.

nikon nikkor 28mm 3.5 PC D800 sunset rainbow by Rafael CA, on Flickr

i have both the d800 and the Df and i prefer the latter for less time behind the computer, thus smaller nefs and clean up to iso 10000 at least, this is after processing in my case photoninja which has an excellent noise engine

1       2       3              3801      
       3803              5890       5891       end