Mr. G
Total Posts: 615

Curtis

That Peach colored rose is absolutely stunning

Gregg

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2391

CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Niculescu! Hard to believe we now have TWO people posting from Romania. Our friend Mihai has been hanging out with us for a couple of years. My guess is he will be delighted to have a fellow countryman sharing here. It appears you only have one manual focus Nikon lens but that is enough... And, if you're like others who've come to spend time on this thread, owning one really is only the beginning...

Happy shooting with the 55 f/1.2. It has become a favorite among participants to this thread. Enjoy yourself and don't hesitate to join the conversation. This is a very friendly group of photographers...

Curtis, I am happy of the European advancement in this thread and as you know we had several people from Netherland, several people from Germany, several from UK, just one from Romania, one from France (of course as valuable as a whole Academy... no exageration..., Belgium, Italy, Sweden, Austria... a prodigal son somewhere in Greece, another one in Serbia... another in Turkey, at least one in Switzerland, a great US contributor in Venice area (we count Don as European )and of course Andy from Austria... and so on... hope to not miss anyone... Now I feel this part consolidating so I'm not alone close to Ukrainian border The pleasure is maximised because I've met this gentlemen once... for a lens exchange I just want to tell you that Niculescu is his family name... (we are the country with ....escu - easy to remember - Ceausescu, Iliescu, Constantinescu, Basescu are the last four presidents... ) so the surname is Teodor (could be for friends Teo, Teddy or Doru... he must tell us ). When we grew up it was normal here to put the family name in front of the surname... and many people keep this fashion... The young generation is mostly doing the other way, as is almost everywhere. Anyhow I thank you and some others for welcoming my buddy from a suburb of our capital City, Bucharest.

georgms
Total Posts: 3516

Teodor, welcome and thanks for sharing your work here. Really like the sunset and your set from christmas (it's a christmas-tree delivering the wonderful highlights, right?).

georgms

Gregg, nice to see the 200/4 and the Micro-Nikkor 200/4 side-by-side. Sometimes, not now, one of those will make it into my camera bag ;-)

Steve, very nice portrait of the famous Madonna. Really like your framing.

Philippe, superbe shot from the hanging sign! How did you got the DoF - is it a composite?

Chuong, I really like your last images from your playing kids. Looks like spring over at Cincinnati ;-)

Curtis, the peach-colored rose is fantastic!

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2705

raboof wrote:
... A while back reading about lens reviews, I came to a conclusion that some are just not accurate due to bad copies and I will just try them out to judge for myself. It's fun and it doesn't cost much since the resale value of these lenses are pretty much the same or even higher...

1000% agreed with you Chuong!
By the way, if someday you decide to sell your new 55/1.2 SC non AI; can I be the first in the list??

asiostygius

MDoc9523 wrote:

Now as far as mutual admiration. I post about peoples photos because it helps me to realize what in that particular photo I would like to learn from, good or bad. I believe that I am a better photographer today because of the examples posted in this thread. I consider myself a student and this thread is a wonderful teacher. People here will share the details about how they captured the moment and when I comment many times I will glean a little more information about their process. It's all good, comments or not. My hope is that others may be able to learn from me as well...

Another "1000% agreed" with you Ray.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13636

I walked back down the street and my neighbor was home. He worked his whole life and a blacksmith, carrying his gear in the back of his pickup truck and servicing the many horse owners in West Marin. Bob also rebuilt cars and created some beauties though as he's gotten older he's turned to less physically demanding hobbies like rebuilding old bicycles, old radios and more recently with his grandson old firearms. I thought he might have an idea of how to clean the lens AND he did! All the residue of what was most likely paper, as well as the glue holding it in place slowly dissolved as he applied a solvent used to clean guns with a Q-tip. I worked the material loose, we wiped the lens and applied more solvent and just kept repeating the process until it was all gone. There was a few very tiny scratches that had been covered by the residue but not anything we created by cleaning. I guess I'll have to consider the lens Mint- rather than mint... But it still is a beauty. Now I have to ask myself whether one of those Q.C. lenses should go... Decisions, decisions...

A couple of more photos on the way back home... The last is a bokeh test, shooting a subject against a very busy background that would cause the 35 f/1.4 and 50 f/1.2 some anxiety...

georgms

Dean, your multi-exposures are really fantastic. Envy about your pre-visualization-skills, honestly. The portrait of your mate is hilarious. I wonder how I would look with a cup of black coffee on my forehead ;-)

Jay, thanks for sharing your highly scientifical lab-test about the creaminess of the 55/1.2's vs 50/1.8's bokeh

Steve, regarding the Polaroid camera: I think it's possible to use single sheets of "regular" large format film with certain models (but I could be wrong).

Lestor, tasty food-shots! Where are the Pommes frites? (sorry, had to ask the only active thread-participant from the motherland of "French fries")

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1438

georgems do you have a source for your film presets that u could recommend? thanks

DF+85 1.4

mp356
Total Posts: 4449

Philippe, nice signs and countryside image. I really like the play of light in the background vineyard.

Chuong, great images. The second one of the flowering tree is wonderful.

Curtis, you are the rose-master. The image of the peach colored rose is very nice.

lsds
Total Posts: 156

georgms wrote:

Lestor, tasty food-shots! Where are the Pommes frites? (sorry, had to ask the only active thread-participant from the motherland of "French fries")

Thanks Georg..Was a random cooking session with some friends and their kids..The wife has put frites off the menu citing health reasons..sigh

atanubcool
Total Posts: 29

I love manual focus lenses............

asiostygius

Wow, just 2 days and more than 10 pages!

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Georg, spetacular blue flower + OOF background with 55/1.2;

Ram, great PP on the cityscape and loved your multiple exposure experiment;

Chin, another perfect dog shot;

Samy, I don't know this bird since it does not occur here, but I suppose Ram is correct in his suggestion; looks like an icterid in fact;

Chuong, lovely squirrel with your 840mm f/8 lens;

Ronny, as usual superb flowers with 135/2 + tubes;

Jay, creamy bokeh on that pyramid food

Nancy, cut cat with 135/2;

Kevin, loved the 135/2.8 Q set and the very useful link for fixing zoom ring;

Ray, congrats on the new and spanking cheap lens!

Fons, very nice flower set;

Dean, loved the "Guinness in the head" shot;

Welcome Teodor, and what a beautiful set of shots with the 55/1.2 wide open!

Curtis, congrats on the new lens, and as usual great flower debut set.

asiostygius

James Markus wrote:
Craig, these are excellent food images! I'd be curious about your 85 f1.4 versus the 85 f2 comparisons. When you shoot the 85mm f2 at f2 - f2.8 - I suppose the number of iris blades just doesn't matter anymore, because the iris opening is essentially round at that point.

James, don't tell Curtis but some time ago I made a bokeh test with these lens + 85/1.8 K:

All wide-open:
left: 85/f2 ai, middle: 85/1.8K; right: 85/1.4 ais:

Bokeh-battle-85mm-wide-open por labecoaves, no Flickr

All at f/2:

Bokeh-battle-85mm-at-f2 por labecoaves, no Flickr

All at f/2.8:

Bokeh-battle-85mm-at-f2.8 por labecoaves, no Flickr

asiostygius

And at close distance in the "studio":
(Curtis, please, don't be angry, James was the culprit )

Wide open - Left to right:
85mm f/1.4 ais, 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd & CPU´d and 85mm f/2 ai

85mm-bokeh-wide-open por labecoaves, no Flickr

At f/2:

85mm-bokeh-at-f2 por labecoaves, no Flickr

At f/2.8:

85mm-bokeh-at-f2.8 por labecoaves, no Flickr

saph
Total Posts: 2501

Ram and Jose, thanks for help in identifying the bird.

Its a Brewer's blackbird, at least that species seems the closest, found it while looking up the icterid family of birds.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/brewers_blackbird/id

On a different topic, this comment from someone who obviously hasn't spent any time on this thread. Found it on one of my occasional peeks at dpreview.

Re: Converting non-Ai Nikkor lenses

The number of these venerable lenses that are actually any good nowadays is modest, they might be collectables unmodified. None of them have a modern coating.

cadman342001
Total Posts: 3090

saph wrote:
Isn't Andy from Cairns Queensland? Just came across a news item on Cyclone Ita expected tomorrow. Stay safe Andy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26966769

Yup, Thanks Samy, I'm in Cairns, waiting for Category 5 Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita which will make landfall later today and then travel south either inland of us (as per the BOM predicted path on the bbc link) or if it stays on/near the coast near/over us (as per the JTWC predicted path) during saturday.

Gonna be a big one. Max. windspeeds of 305 km/h !!!!!

Andy

asiostygius

saph wrote:

On a different topic, this comment from someone who obviously hasn't spent any time on this thread. Found it on one of my occasional peeks at dpreview.

Re: Converting non-Ai Nikkor lenses

The number of these venerable lenses that are actually any good nowadays is modest, they might be collectables unmodified. None of them have a modern coating.

Oh yes Samy, and all that garbage not uncommon at dpreview and other sites about old Nikkors, like "old design not made for digital"; "no nano or modern coating, useless for digital" and so on; often makes me laugh.

bebitzul
Total Posts: 46

Mishu01 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Niculescu! Hard to believe we now have TWO people posting from Romania. Our friend Mihai has been hanging out with us for a couple of years. My guess is he will be delighted to have a fellow countryman sharing here. It appears you only have one manual focus Nikon lens but that is enough... And, if you're like others who've come to spend time on this thread, owning one really is only the beginning...

Happy shooting with the 55 f/1.2. It has become a favorite among participants to this thread. Enjoy yourself and don't hesitate to join the conversation. This is a very friendly group of photographers...

Curtis, I am happy of the European advancement in this thread and as you know we had several people from Netherland, several people from Germany, several from UK, just one from Romania, one from France (of course as valuable as a whole Academy... no exageration..., Belgium, Italy, Sweden, Austria... a prodigal son somewhere in Greece, another one in Serbia... another in Turkey, at least one in Switzerland, a great US contributor in Venice area (we count Don as European )and of course Andy from Austria... and so on... hope to not miss anyone... Now I feel this part consolidating so I'm not alone close to Ukrainian border The pleasure is maximised because I've met this gentlemen once... for a lens exchange I just want to tell you that Niculescu is his family name... (we are the country with ....escu - easy to remember - Ceausescu, Iliescu, Constantinescu, Basescu are the last four presidents... ) so the surname is Teodor (could be for friends Teo, Teddy or Doru... he must tell us ). When we grew up it was normal here to put the family name in front of the surname... and many people keep this fashion... The young generation is mostly doing the other way, as is almost everywhere. Anyhow I thank you and some others for welcoming my buddy from a suburb of our capital City, Bucharest.

I want to thank you again, Mihai, for the enlightening explanation about our terminology regarding the family name . The last 50 years or so, my friends call me Bebe, so I`ll be very happy if you all will use this name .
Back to the business, D700 + 20/4 non AI :

cadman342001
Total Posts: 3090

JTWC = Joint Typhoon Warning Centre (US based)
BOM = Bureau of Meteorology

We do have access to fantastic forecasting info. from all the major forecasting centres but at the end of the day it is still forecasting and tropical cyclones are unpredictable creatures.
If it stays inland we'll be fine, just gale force winds, the cyclone loses intensity over land.
If it comes down the coast we could be in for some major damage as the sea will continue to feed the system and could still be a Cat 4 when it hits us.

The BOM forecast path has been slowly but surely edging eastwards towards the JTWC predicted path that has been constant for a few days now. The 100kms difference in predicted paths could equate to a 200km/h difference in wind speeds we experience.

BOM

JTWC

Not growing up here it's all rather exciting, until it's coming straight for ya !

The Oz Cyclone Chasers (OCC) have great videos on you tube if you want the latest.

Andy

1       2       3              3761      
       3763              4436       4437       end