Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3758

1       2       3              3758      
       3760              5890       5891       end

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 1118

Well I guess it's time to give a recap of the events of Friday night. Ray ,Jay and Reagan will tell you that I normally wear cowboy boots. Going to St. Augustine I decided to be a tourist and I had a brand-new pair of what are supposed to be good running shoes and run around in shorts and a T-shirt.

Coming down a flight of stairs from dinner my left shoe felt a little bit awkward and I noticed that the sole had come unglued from the bottom. So I stopped at a wrought-iron stanchion picked up my left leg tore the sole off and dropped it to the ground. What I failed to see that there was a drop from where I was a big drop standing and my next step came down on my right ankle twisted it and I heard the snap of the tibia bone and the second snap of the fibula. I knew it was broken and was unable to get up. Then I felt the patella on my left knee which was completely swollen and I immediately thought it was broken. I later learned that the hamstring became severed from it.

Just that quick and if I'd been wearing my cowboy boots I probably be posting pictures today. Many thanks again to everyone cheering me up.

Go about your lives and have fun, don't worry about the small stuff if it happens to you it will happen and you have no say in it.

Robin is been at my side since this happened. She has a bed inside the hospital room next to me and she's been nursing the nurses and nursing me. She got me some cherry ice pops yesterday was the best thing in this world I could've ever eaten.

I'm afraid there will be no surgery for my 55 1.2 SC lens. I might make a trophy out of it. Certainly never going to take a picture again but I did take some pictures after the incident and once I get my camera back I'll see if any of them came out.

I think it was John the pointed he went for a long run and found himself locked out. I think it's always a good idea if you're going to go anyplace hiking running or any place on the trail leave a note of when you're going to go when you going to come back. My incident happened in front of a group of people and 911 was only minutes away.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the pms. Looking at the photos every day is a highlight I will stay in touch with this thread.

NightOwl Cat wrote:
When you're up to it, Ken, I've got to hear the story of the hike gone bad. Makes me think I need some sort of noisemaker in my pockets now when I go out. I think your wife is going to need quite a few prayers too.

Ken Hill wrote:
Yesterday you brightened my day. Strangers with a common interest, and for the most part who have never met face-to-face we really formed a bond.

Somewhere in my destroyed D700 is a door for Leighton, mile marker "0" of the Spanish Trail that starts in St. Augustine and ends in San Diego. Perhaps a mission for Rafael to find the other end.

So the prognosis is this I have a right ankle that I can't put any weight on for the next six weeks. My left leg is braced stiff, that's the one with the hamstring reattachment and knee injury. They have got me stand with a walker and hop yes I did say hop a couple of feet.

Thank you Ray for getting the word out, all for the PMs, well wishes, emails and cheerful sentiment. Keep up the Great photography it is a highlight of my day. I owe you all a debt of gratitude.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Scary story Ken, but seems you are in good hands and will be well on your way to healing. When something happens it can indeed be sudden and so unexpected. And very glad to see that you are in good spirits! I am certain you will find a replacement 55 once you are recovered and ready to get back to photography.

saph

A quick attempt at macro with tubes. The 135 2 AI + PN-11 + PK-13 make for a long unwieldy combination, so used a makeshift stabilizer (pot + book + pillow) to angle down the camera at the flower

ButterCup by maryland_photos, on Flickr

saph

John, I like the always on guard photo of the cat, great angle Just saw your story of climbing

James (Oxford), like the shed door as well as the knarled trees.

Andy, cool emergency sign, especially the penalty for improper use. And I really like that steam train shot. Great scene!

Vic, great photo of the little one.

Ray, great use of the 55 on that blue flower. Reminds me I have not touched that lens in a while

Philippe, nice catch of the street musician in the light.

Steve, interesting look at the homeless person sleeping. Its sad to see so many of them around here, the number seems to have gone up in recent years.

Nuno, congrats and great price on a stellar lens! Quit looking at the dust and just shoot I happened to look at the back element of my 135 2 when I was mounting the tubes on it yesterday and cringed momentarily. There's a couple dust spots and a slight scratch. Does nothing to the images I have had the last couple years with it.

Fons, interesting processing on that photo, nice effect.

Ronny, you excel in whatever topic you choose for your photos, Nitro, flowers, and now landscapes!

Scott, just love the deep yellows, blues and reds. Good sighting!

Kevin, especially love the first one at 55 1.2 wide open.

David Jr., like the mailbox, and the last photo with the kids walking down the path.

Fons Baerken
Total Posts: 92

85mm f/1.4

havent been shooting mf nikkors much lately

mothersdays' bouquet
some pp

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Ken Hill wrote:
Well I guess it's time to give a recap of the events of Friday night. Ray ,Jay and Reagan will tell you that I normally wear cowboy boots. Going to St. Augustine I decided to be a tourist and I had a brand-new pair of what are supposed to be good running shoes and run around in shorts and a T-shirt.

Coming down a flight of stairs from dinner my left shoe felt a little bit awkward and I noticed that the sole had come unglued from the bottom. So I stopped at a wrought-iron stanchion picked up my left leg tore the sole off and dropped it to the ground. What I failed to see that there was a drop from where I was a big drop standing and my next step came down on my right ankle twisted it and I heard the snap of the tibia bone and the second snap of the fibula. I knew it was broken and was unable to get up. Then I felt the patella on my left knee which was completely swollen and I immediately thought it was broken. I later learned that the hamstring became severed from it.

Just that quick and if I'd been wearing my cowboy boots I probably be posting pictures today. Many thanks again to everyone cheering me up.

Go about your lives and have fun, don't worry about the small stuff if it happens to you it will happen and you have no say in it.

Robin is been at my side since this happened. She has a bed inside the hospital room next to me and she's been nursing the nurses and nursing me. She got me some cherry ice pops yesterday was the best thing in this world I could've ever eaten.

I'm afraid there will be no surgery for my 55 1.2 SC lens. I might make a trophy out of it. Certainly never going to take a picture again but I did take some pictures after the incident and once I get my camera back I'll see if any of them came out.

I think it was John the pointed he went for a long run and found himself locked out. I think it's always a good idea if you're going to go anyplace hiking running or any place on the trail leave a note of when you're going to go when you going to come back. My incident happened in front of a group of people and 911 was only minutes away.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the pms. Looking at the photos every day is a highlight I will stay in touch with this thread.

NightOwl Cat wrote:
When you're up to it, Ken, I've got to hear the story of the hike gone bad. Makes me think I need some sort of noisemaker in my pockets now when I go out. I think your wife is going to need quite a few prayers too.

Ken Hill wrote:
Yesterday you brightened my day. Strangers with a common interest, and for the most part who have never met face-to-face we really formed a bond.

Somewhere in my destroyed D700 is a door for Leighton, mile marker "0" of the Spanish Trail that starts in St. Augustine and ends in San Diego. Perhaps a mission for Rafael to find the other end.

So the prognosis is this I have a right ankle that I can't put any weight on for the next six weeks. My left leg is braced stiff, that's the one with the hamstring reattachment and knee injury. They have got me stand with a walker and hop yes I did say hop a couple of feet.

Thank you Ray for getting the word out, all for the PMs, well wishes, emails and cheerful sentiment. Keep up the Great photography it is a highlight of my day. I owe you all a debt of gratitude.

Good gosh man, that makes my stomach turn just reading it! Hang in there. One thing I know from experience, you and Robin, especially Robin, will need to actively advocate for your own care.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3760

Aye, I winced just reading that. Get well soon. We'll be right here waiting

James Markus
Total Posts: 4801

Ken, Sorry to hear about the leg problems. I hope your recovery is swift and uneventful.

Ken Hill wrote:

EDIT...I just read how it happened. That is awful. Stairs can be so treacherous! I fell down some concrete stairs Feb 2013, and this time last year I couldn't walk to the mail box. Just last week I was in a hunger walk and did a little over 3 miles. I hope you have a complete recovery, Ken!

James Markus
Total Posts: 4801

Thanks Philippe, that helped me track the story down. Though I took years of latin and greek plus studied mythology...I don't remember this story. I guess my memory is going too. A great Greek drama, beautifully conveyed in stone by Paul-Jean-Baptiste Gasq. I really like the angle, and treatment of your composition!

Wiki here

Lieutenant Z wrote:
James Markus wrote:
Philippe, I really like this one...is there a story of the statue?

[
The Louvre:

Thanks James. The Tuileries garden, located between The Louvre and the Place de la Concorde, features numerous sculptures. This one is "Médée", sculpted in marble in 1896 by Paul-Jean-Baptiste Gasq.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3760

This was a bit ambitious ... wasn't sure if it's turn out well if at all
I spied this from way up above on the 25th floor
And drove up to the rooftop, standing alone looking at the expanse of flats around me
The one up in front was one of the premier projects of our public housing board
'Going up the value chain' by makin' 'em posher, fantastic location
Even the sky garden up there's public access at 5 bucks per entry

To my utter dismay, at max extension, vertical position and maximum shift
I couldn't get the whole thing in!
Refusing to go without a shot, I spied from the corner of my eye
A short pillar just barely within reach
Looking between my feet, the guardrails to 7 floors straight down
Balancing my tripod atop and moving the camera haphazardly through liveview
I wish I had made it multi-row
Alas, acrophobia

D700 + 45PCE, 5-image panorama

that faint smell of spices by Zichar, on Flickr

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

James Markus wrote:
Thanks Philippe, that helped me track the story down. Though I took years of latin and greek plus studied mythology...I don't remember this story. I guess my memory is going too. A great Greek drama, beautifully conveyed in stone by Paul-Jean-Baptiste Gasq. I really like the angle, and treatment of your composition!

Wiki here

Lieutenant Z wrote:
James Markus wrote:
Philippe, I really like this one...is there a story of the statue?

[
The Louvre:

Thanks James. The Tuileries garden, located between The Louvre and the Place de la Concorde, features numerous sculptures. This one is "Médée", sculpted in marble in 1896 by Paul-Jean-Baptiste Gasq.

James, I am pleased to know that there are always people who have an interest in Greek and Latin, especially in the US.... My 2 daughters are among the very few students who are still learning these old languages.Unfortunately, I presume that the classical culture (in French we used to say "les Humanités") will be soon forgotten.

Médée is known for the murder of her own children. Thus there is dead baby at her feets and she is about to kill the second one (she has a dagger in her right hand).

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Some more great pix recently ....

I am loving some of the monochrome stuff you guys and girls are producing ....

It certainly has a place in the art form .....

Some interesting subjects too .....

btw I did notice the tramps hands being very red .... I wonder if he had scolded them at some stage ...
they say 'where there is no sense there is no feeling'

Hearing Kens tale of woe .... it is sure many here have fellow feeling ... or compassion for his plight ....

Hope it all works out .... in time .... for you Ken !!!

Here are a couple more from Paris ... Drinking and smoking ...

I was taken with a friend of ours who was thirsty ... and how she got to grips with a half litre of ale ....

As for the smoking ... well I'm not sure how you smoke that thing ... but they got to grips with it after a while ... out on the plaza in front of the Pompidou Centre

Taken with the LL 50-135mm

Steve

Lieutenant Z

I like the 1st one Steve.

Another one from the Tuileries with the 105 2.5 ais :

Stokesey

Wandering the streets and river of Paris ....

Just like Phillipe you come across all sorts of visions ....

And potential graphics ....

Here are a couple from under the Pont d'Iena

I first noticed how the bridge pillars at an angle made for a directional arrow and then shot straight across because that looked OK too .....

Monochrome done in Silver Efex Pro Full Spectrum with film type FP4 125

Judge for yourselves .....

Leighton Lens 50-135mm

Steve

Stokesey

Without wanting to step over the territory that Phillipe is so expert at ......

Here are a couple from the Tuilieries that I was editing today .... coincidence only !!

But Phillipe inspired me to post these today, especially as he had posted his expert pix from the gardens too .....

I was messing with the images in Color Efex Pro 4 so thought I would post a couple .....

First one ... the flowers were on their way .... not quite in full bloom ....

Second one near the Concorde entrance - I couldn't resist the Tower in the distance and the contre jour shot ...

Steve

Lieutenant Z

Steve : as the Comte d'Auteroche did during the battle of Fontenoy in 1745, I should have said : "Messieurs les Anglais, tirez les premiers!" -)

BSPhotog
Total Posts: 1559

I shot some graduation photos this past week. Most was done with my AF lenses, but I pulled out the 50 f/1.4 Auto for this shot:

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

Thanks
Great shot Samy ,Kevin ,Scott, John ,steve , Z and Chin

Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

craigjohn
Total Posts: 362

Sorry to read of your news, Ken. Heal up quickly so you can get back to shoot's. ...and you know if ESPN would have caught that on video, it'd be replayed 100 times 'til saturday.

On Mother's day, Wisconsin's first weekend of glorious weather this year, the fam went to the madhouse that is the Milwaukee Zoo. The line of cars waiting to get into the zoo was nuts. The line of cars extended FAR down Bluemound RD in both directions. Instead of the 105/2.5 AIS, I brought my 135/2.8 AI'd. Here's what I saw.

Just a note on the first photo, those aren't parked cars down the side of the road - that's the line.

craigjohn
Total Posts: 362

A couple more.

1       2       3              3758      
       3760              5890       5891       end