Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3719

1       2       3              3719      
       3721              5889       5890       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

zephyres wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Lovely serendipity... I just checked the auction I'd linked to and the price has now exceeded the Buy It Now price. It amazes me that no one was willing to spend $20 for this set of tubes. I notice that above the set you bought for the lovely price of ten pounds, there is a set listed for fifty...

Congratulations on your purchase... Yes, it helps to know the market but it also helps to be decisive and act when a deal comes along.

I was thinking about buying some tubes for quite sometime now. I could not find the buy it now price on the auction you listed so I bid for it. Total of $25 including shipping . Will let you know how they look once I get them.

Thanks for the link :-)

Well done Anil! I think the Buy It Now price disappears when there has been a lower bid. Glad you were successful. I'm always happy when folks on this thread pick up useful gear and these extension tubes will serve you well. Glad I could help...

CGrindahl

CurtisBilly wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
basilisk wrote:
Curtis (W) - I am sure the 28mm f2.8 AIS is a fine, and good value lens. If your money can stretch, I would consider the f2 AIS version as well. It was a premium lens in its day (apparently 920 before inflation), and I picked one up for 220. Apart from the extra cost, there doesn't seem to be any downside. It is still much more compact than its modern equivalent, the AF-S 28mm f1.8G.

Well said and a valuable contribution. I agree the 28 f/2 AI-s is a step up from its slower companion. I found the extra stop valuable when shooting in the underground cisterns in Istanbul. It was also a wonderful walk around lens.

Thanks James (Basilisk) and Curtis for the discussion on the 28 f/2 AIS and the 28 /f2.8 AIS. Also nice shot with the f/2.

So now I'm also considering the (gasp) 28 f/1.8G in addition to the two AIS 28's. At least I've decided on 28!

What would you guys think about spending a little more for a late copy S/N 9XXXXXX 28 f/2.8 vs. an older example of a 2.8 or 2.0? Is it worth getting the SIC coating on the 28 f/2 (SN 6134XX and later)?

I don't doubt that Nikon makes changes to lenses with the intention of improving performance, though there is no guarantee that newer is always better. With regard to the 28 f/2.8 AI-s they added Close Range Correction which wasn't present in the AI version. I believe that change contributes to the excellent performance of that lens when shooting in close.

With regard to coatings I do my best to get the latest version of a lens but it isn't always easy to find those lenses. For example, we sent an 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI lens around the world and quite a few of us concluded we wanted to own that lens. I looked high and low and couldn't find one that had the Nikon AI conversion kit, but I did find an H version. Reviews say the H doesn't handle flare as well. I simply added a lens hood and have been pleased with performance.

I think the best way to get into MF lenses is to simply buy one and see how you feel about its performance. I have both an older f/2.8 and f/2 at 28mm and I've always been satisfied with the performance of these lenses. I wouldn't tie myself up in knots trying to find the perfect lens. Even reviewers whom I respect have missed some gems produced by Nikon in yesteryear. Fortunately the price of admission is so reasonable that it is fairly easy to buy a lens and try it out. If you don't like it you can typically turn it over without losing a great deal of money. Of course, I've yet to be so disappointed by a lens that I've done that... Have fun Curtis W.

CGrindahl

Paul, you've got a one person show going here... very nice photos all. It seems you had a lovely holiday in Lyon. Thanks for entertaining us...

Oosty
Total Posts: 4210

CGrindahl wrote:
Paul, you've got a one person show going here... very nice photos all. It seems you had a lovely holiday in Lyon. Thanks for entertaining us...

+1

lsds
Total Posts: 169

@Ray:Nice set.The second is my favorite.

@Paul: Great perspective and incredible imagery.Loved them all.
You must be missing France already..We seem to be having some terrible weather here since the last few days

cadman342001
Total Posts: 4465

Loving the work you're all doing, I spent this morning on assignment, hanging out of a helicopter with the door removed, taking photos of other helicopters ! Pics to follow.

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 865

Paul What a treat to see France, beautiful images!
-Jay-

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Tuileries Gardens, Paris :

Nice shot & processing, Z !!

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

Paul Gabel ... enjoyed all of your shots ... nicely done !!

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 865

Struggling to catchup...

Phillippe Wonderful image.

D800 28mm f/2.8
Picture Yourself Behind...

-Jay-

dhamments
Total Posts: 1105

Thanks again to Curtis and Reagan for their efforts getting these two new additions to my kit! I'll give both a good workout tomorrow... I'll be back!
Cheers and good light, David.

I took my two new additions for a short stroll tonight and found more subject matter for the wide angle 24mm f2.8 AiS than the 135mm f2.8 QC. I found it a little more difficult to frame my subject with the wider 24 (compared to the 28mm that I've grown to love). The first image is taken with the 135 and the next three with the 24mm.... (forgot to change the non-CPU setting).

DSC_8801 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

DSC_8812 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

DSC_8823 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

DSC_8807 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'll find some work for the 135.... Have a great day everyone!

Cheers and good light,
David

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Back to France we go ......

Paris is always such a fantastic place to get whatever pix you want .....

So many locations .... not enuf time .....

Anyway .....

Touting the 50-135mm again ....

A couple of converts in Silver Efex 2

Plus an elaborate door for Leighton

I was going to put these on here until I realised they were on the 14-24mm oooops

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1271022/7#12319854

Steve

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Love the foot steps David

That car has seen better days Jay ....

I really like your spiralling stair monochrome Paul !! And a few of your street shots too ....

Flow ... that night shot on the steps is full of character .... love it

Ram .... I like your rabbit .... but I would have cropped out the confusion at the top and made it a landscape shot ... just my opinion of course ..... but love the rabbit on it's own !!

Curtis and Ray .... gorgeous flower shots as always from you two !!

Nuno, that is impressive hand held with a PN-11 .... mirrors my style hand-held but I can't focus as easily on moving objects - though I do try ... well done you

Steve

nampramos
Total Posts: 1064

Thank you Steve! I am sure a bit of luck also helped

Yesterday I bought a PK-11 for 26 USD (19 EUR, 15 GBP) with shipping already included. I should get it next week. Should be an interesting match with the 85/2 Ai for bigger flowers.

My not so desert island (Madeira) kit starts to become better and better. Simple, but in my opinion, effective for what I want to shoot.

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 1282

Stokesey wrote:

Ram .... I like your rabbit .... but I would have cropped out the confusion at the top and made it a landscape shot ... just my opinion of course ..... but love the rabbit on it's own !!

Thank you Steve. I had significantly cropped it., but I will try a second pass at it.

Here is the Hotel that I am staying, shot using the 105mm f2.5 AI. Once the 1.8 version arrives, I would have three 105mm., the f2.5 AIS, AI and 1.8 version. I like the f2.5 AIS as the focus ring is really smooth. The AI has a stiffer focus, but excellent build. It would be interesting to do a comparision.

Sonesta ES by ramkumar999, on Flickr

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Spent some hours at the local zoo - shot mostly with the Ais 400/3.5 IF-ED.

typical male von georgsfoto auf Flickr
What a showoff! Judging by it's behavior I would say it's a male ;-) D7000 at ISO1000, 400/3.5 IF-ED at f/4

georgms

Steve, a very, very nice set from Paris. Love the moody B&W's, but the doorway in color is great too.

georgms

David, another nice set from the beach! My fav is the second image (#8812) for it's great light and framing.

Paul, great to see some of your shots here again! I like them all, my favorites are the first 2 B&W-images just because I like clean architecture-shots like those 2. The woman with yellow pullover on the "Musee des beaux arts"-picture is perfectly placed ;-)

Ray, enjoyed the very dynamic framing on your locomotive-shot (that's what the 24/2.8 is made for).

Curtis, the flower shot with Nikki's older sibling is beautiful. The same can be said about your Istanbul-nightscene.

Fons, what a lovely scene you've captured with the 35/1.4!

Ronny, another fantastic flower-shot!

Flo, outstanding night-shot! Your work with lights and shadows is excellent.

Philippe, great catch at the Tuileries Gardens.

Craig, very nice portrait of your son.

Thanks for the kind comments and "likes" on the Shantychoir-image, really much appreciated!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

Great work here, used the like button.

I have not had a chance to get out and Paris is a little far to walk from Valle Escondido in Rancho Bernardo.

Had strong Santa Ana winds and high temperatures, like 95F. The winds were not that bad here as they came from the NW and Palomar mountain blocks them from that direction.

Still if there are winds and Eucalyptus trees, run!!!

These trees are weak and dangerous specially the black ones.

With the 35mm at sunset and 15mm in the morning.

nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 ais Santa Ana Winds black eucalyptus by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 D3 Santa Ana winds black eucalyptus by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This tree is now cracked down the middle and will fall again, good thing there is nothing down there, ah well, more firewood.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 D3 Santa Ana winds black eucalyptus 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

flow71
Total Posts: 70

Thanks everyone for likes and comments!
I'm really busy now so still have to catch up with many pages of great photos. Currently thinking about doing a short trip to France in about one week's time so had to bring both my 105 2,5 Ai-S and the 28-70 2,8D to the shop since the aperture blades on both lenses are stuck (probably the lubricant dried up so should be no big deal) and left the D700 there as well for (free) servicing. Seriously considering to get a 28/2 or /2,8 now to take with me in order to leave the 28-70 at home but this would require a trip to Vienna (2,5 hours by train) next week...

In the meantime I'd like to throw some more Paris pics in:

180:

50:

50 (dont know where I left the focus but I still like the photo somehow):

50:

180:

1       2       3              3719      
       3721              5889       5890       end