Total Posts: 2926

doubled up

R

Mr. G
Total Posts: 615

Reagan wrote:
Remember you west coast people are 3 hours behind the real world

R

I'm just starting to think about lunch and you're already through with your afternoon nap ....

Gregg

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 352

Happy April 1st everyone. For those following, I have started to cut down stuff(I am taking all my lenses BTW :P) I would not be taking. I am tentatively supposed to be there by April mid.
Meanwhile here what I liked so far since my last post.
Jay's Canon shot and the Egret crop,
Leighton's simple yet excellent b/w composition,
Steve's door and 200mm f2 comparision shots - Thank you Steve for your comparison shots., I see a slight difference in the bokeh but as you show, by F8 they are the same. 200mm f2 does look good at f2 on the second shot where background is more creamier.
Jose's Puffbird shot is just too good.
George's worker shot was amazing environmental portrait. BTW. Thanks George on commenting on my photo. Edge detection is always an issue when I play with selective colors in PS.
Rinie's Cat shot is super.
Nancy's street shots.
Gregg's Yacht sign.
Joan's Door shot with DF.

Today's shot:
Took out the Nikkor 24mm f2.8 to the nearby park. This park is a famous stop for migratory birds. Yesterday saw a bunch Ibis stopover for bath and dinner and then take off. I also saw the Anhinga and Great Blue Heron.

the solitaire
Total Posts: 769

Nice HDR on the sky and pond Ram, but for my tastes the foilage looks a bit flat. That's one of the things that prevents me from paying money for a dedicated HDR software. Most of them tend to do that with greens. I would personally try adding a layer with contrast and saturation pretty high and opacity at 40-60% to add some texture to the foilage.

Other then that, excellent shot. I really like the framing

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2879

Ram, is that HDR? When I look at it, I can see some HDR-like elements, but when I look at the shot as a whole, I don't think it is HDR. I agree about the greens being a bit bland, nothing a little toning in Lightroom shouldn't fix.

saph
Total Posts: 2309

For a tiny instant (very tiny), I started getting this sinking feeling in my stomach before I realized what day it was.

CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:
I've decided that I want to make a change in my photography, so I've decided to sell all of my Nikon gear and move to Olympus 4/3. I will be posting my kit in a couple of days on the B&S page. It's been a fabulous ride here and I'll miss all of you, although I'll check in from time to time.

Has hell frozen over?

I didn't think so...

georgms
Total Posts: 3399

Rinie, I like your "maritime set" a lot. My fav is the sail for it's "simplicity" (don't know if that's the proper term - I like images with clean lines and a single, clearly defined subject).

Philippe, the "Main street" is stuff for a jigsaw-puzzle ;-) Very nice photograph, I wonder how it would look if shot from a lower angle.

Gregg, I like the Bow View a lot, the Derelict in it's sad shape is nicely captured too (but hey, it's still floating, right ;-).

Jose, the Puffbird looks great. Note to myself: Should stay in the car when trying to shoot some bird-portraits too…

Paul, the portrait of your grandson is fabulous - so full of life. Love your angle of view and framing.

JD, impressive bird-portraits!

Buddy, the high-key-portrait of your girlfriend is beautifully done.

James/"subidiom", the multiple-exposure-image is wonderful (in every possible meaning of this term). Like a dream. I hope you'll share some more of your pictures here.

Samy, great to see some more shots with your S2. Having a lens with such history must be really encouraging.

Mihai, I like your candid portrait of the reading woman a lot. Great light, the bright displays of tablets and smartphones offer completely new photo-opportunities for us photographers ;-)

Thanks for the comments and likes on the closed-plant-set - really much appreciated!

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 352

This is a single RAW image shot with highlight preservation., however that caused the foliage to be underexposed by atleast two stops. I drew a gradient filter to bring up the foreground and brushed over the foliage. The lack of saturation is due to the underexposure. But D600 did great job of preserving details.
Here is another pass with slightly more saturation.

the solitaire wrote:
Nice HDR on the sky and pond Ram, but for my tastes the foilage looks a bit flat. That's one of the things that prevents me from paying money for a dedicated HDR software. Most of them tend to do that with greens. I would personally try adding a layer with contrast and saturation pretty high and opacity at 40-60% to add some texture to the foilage.

Other then that, excellent shot. I really like the framing

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 504

Another day in Helen Georgia pretty interesting place beautiful day nice weather.

Ed thank you for the comments I bet you there's a lot of these falls in the mountains here that look like West Virginia and other parts of Virginia. This area is the very bottom of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Ram couple interesting shots but while I'm on the road I'm using the tablet and the monitors not very good so I can't comment one way or another o the BW or IR. Everything looks terrible including the stuff I shoot.

Bert real pleasant sunset thanks for posting.

Rafael the Mariachi shots are always a treat. You can see the entertainers work very hard you do a nice job of capturing them.

Gia I'm not going out on limb saying the headless Horseman is a lot scarier on digital than it is in real life. It's kind of hokey at the roadside attraction.

Jay, you do realize those are one legged egrets. Very rare indeed! No known photos ever!!

Steve, mission accomplished !!! I have to look closer at the lens comparisons when I get home and my normal monitor.

Georg you have a trained eye and I always appreciate your comments. As said earlier I'm using my small tablet and the monitor on it is absolutely terrible and the result is your seeing images that my not be up to par. Seeing these differences is to your credit. I really like the grungy industrial set, great shots.

Leighton, we are at the southernmost point on the Blue Ridge. I think you'd feel right at home here.

Rinnie some terrific nautical shots. That 180 is a super lens isn't it?

Philippe you are the master of street scenes. Another great one!

Gregg, when Curtis posts the picture of that "Bridge" bear I'm mind… It's not for sale. On a serious note the stuff you took at the yacht basin is terrific, really good.

Here's the April1st photo's the first was to be a Billy Ocean concert followed by a Mariachi stage show, I waited and waited .... The rest are signs of the times here!!

j-photo
Total Posts: 82

Well, against my better judgment, I listened to you crazy bastards (just joking), and picked up a used 105 f/1.8 AIS. Shot here with the Df.

mp356
Total Posts: 4286

Beautiful sunshine today. One from sunset taken with the 180 2.8 Ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13091

j-photo wrote:
Well, against my better judgment, I listened to you crazy bastards (just joking), and picked up a used 105 f/1.8 AIS. Shot here with the Df.

Yes Joe, that is one of the dangers of spending time on this thread. There will always be someone who has an exquisite idea for how you can spend your money... But since I've been at this from the beginning, I can honestly assure you that if you pay attention and listen carefully, you will in fact find many treasures in this lens lineup that will give you a great deal of pleasure. Not everyone puts up the cash required to buy the fastest 105 but in my opinion, if one can afford it, this lens is worth having in one's kit. And remember "kit building is forever..."

j-photo
Total Posts: 82

You were one of the bad influences! Sure enough, the local shop had copies of both the 1.8 and the slower version. Money doesn't grow on trees here. But even so, I'm at the point where I would rather not be compromising on glass if I don't have to. This focal length is quite outside my usual range, so it will be interesting to see where it leads...

See you around I'm sure.

giag
Total Posts: 136

I dunoo the new posts are ok but... looks a little soft to me

CGrindahl

giag wrote:
I dunoo the new posts are ok but... looks a little soft to me

You need to make reference to which photos you're talking about Gia. This thread moves too fast for a comment like this to be understood. You can either use the quote feature to pull up text associated with the photo or make reference to the person who took the photos in question. That's one of the reasons I encourage folks to add their first name to their profile. Using first names becomes easy and encourages cordial communication.

CGrindahl

I'll tell you Joe, I was not a big fan of 105mm before I began exploring Nikon MF lenses. Now I own four of them...

105 f/1.8 AI-s... 105 f/2.5 P with the AI conversion kit... 105. 2.5 P.C. with the AI conversion kit... 105 f/2.5 AI-s (my FIRST MF Nikkor)

I so loved the oldest lens, the P with the Sonnar design that I bought a cleaner copy of the lens that hadn't been converted and swapped the aperture rings. I find 105 and 135 among my most used focal lengths. Enjoy yourself with your new lens...

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1402

CGrindahl

Sweet Rafael... I love these still life assemblages you share with us. What lens did you use for these? Gotta show off the goodies...

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1402

CGrindahl wrote:
Sweet Rafael... I love these still life assemblages you share with us. What lens did you use for these? Gotta show off the goodies...

Curtis, these are old photos with a then new D200 and a 60mm 2.8. Too busy with the 1000 Mariachi festival photos to post any.

This was back when I was buying full frame MF lenses for a song and a dance, as there were no full frame Nikon DSLRs and using these lenses on those old DSLRs required some doing.

1       2       3              3718      
       3720              4237       4238       end