Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3686

1       2       3              3686      
       3688              5889       5890       end

hlavo
Total Posts: 199

I got out the 135mm f/2 and shot available light at a family Easter gathering this past weekend. I really love this lens at portrait length on the D600. Big glass, big viewfinder, easy to focus.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

Ray, I sent you a PM...

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Btw, a couple of more or less exotic/sought after Nikkor-lenses are offered (no buy it now) on the German ebay-site: a 16/3.5 Fisheye-Nikkor non-Ai, a 1000/11 Reflex, a 85/1.4 Ais to name a few. Hard to judge the condition of the offered lenses.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Harry, lovely and very lively portraits with the "fat" 135/2 - nice work!

hlavo
Total Posts: 199

Thanks, George. It is fat, that's for sure! But what photos that lens makes! I had the same (but more battered) model about six years ago (before FF, when it was half the price they are today) and I sold it to help finance my D300. But I loved the lens then, and still do.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Lovely to see photos of lenses and hear reports of new lens arrivals. Glad you like that 200 Buddy. It looked awfully sweet in the E-Bay photos. I love mine. Yes, it is a bit big but it is not especially heavy. I can appreciate that on a DX camera it would be a handful but it balances nicely.

And Ray... you did it again. I hope you're not diving into the wedding budget to pay for these lenses... We want Melody on our side...

So I have to share a few more photos of flowers because they are in bloom and the 180 f/2.8 AI-s is still on my camera. It LOVES flowers... and so do I. So please indulge me one more time...

All shot wide open, hand held. This lens has to go with me to the desert island...

CGrindahl

I ran into this image as i was rambling around my Picasa account looking for desktop possibilities. It was shot during a visit to San Francisco when Nikki was visiting. I believe I posted a different photo from the waterfront with the same lens, the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI but I prefer a second photo that shows the promenade in the foreground and a fellow who was looking out at the Bay on my right. I processed it a bit wide, though I don't expect 1600 pixels will be problematic for folks hanging out here. This is the Oakland-Bay Bridge with Yerba Buena Island to the left and in the distance beyond the bridge, the Port of Oakland. I enjoyed the day shooting with Nikki but I love the other pre-AI lenses as well...

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Actually Curtis the money for the lenses came from the sale of one of my photographs that I matted and framed.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

craigjohn wrote:
Alright. Quick question. How difficult is it to convert a non-AI lens to AI?

Are there DIY kits you can buy? If not, can recommendations where to send a lens to get it converted. ...you know, just in case I stumble across an oldie but a goodie one of these weeks.

Considering I am not good at hand works I suppose it is a relatively easy task.
After I found the excellent tips on Pindelski's site at this link:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

I have routinely doing myself ai conversions, since I prefer the original aperture rings, specially in the case of scalloped ones.

Below is an illustration of the work on my 105/2.5 P Sonnar. Contrary to Pindelski, I prefer to maintain the aperture "claw" just because i like the original look of the lens.

DIY-ai-conversion-set por labecoaves, no Flickr

All lens work with D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 hand held.
Pseudo selfie/debut of the ai'd lens with D7000 hand held.

cadman342001
Total Posts: 4465

the solitaire wrote:
Curtis, thank you for the heads up. This was delivered to me just a few minutes ago

A 200 mm f4 Q.C Auto Nikkor with the factory Ai kit. Looks like 9/10 cosmetically and 10/10 optically and mechanically.

I already programmed the UD Nikkor and Nikki in my non-CPU lens list which means that now all 9 spaces are filled up. (now I just need to find a UD Nikkor and a Nikki clone and the funds to pay for both )

To be honest, the 200mm is so big that I do not want to add a 300mm lens to my manual focus Nikkor kit.

I just mounted the lens and took a quick shot out of the window. It seems to be a very sharp lens, even wide open, and it does brick walls really well

Congrats on the 200 Buddy, looks sweet !

Andy

cadman342001

More rusty tractors

_DSC7995 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC7958 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC7969 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC7990 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

(Edit - straightened last pic and reloaded it)

Andy

CGrindahl

This series you've been doing Andy is first rate work, both behind the camera and in processing... even if the camera did part of that as well... This is a very nice look that suits the subjects well. Really outstanding.

CGrindahl

Thanks Jose. I wish we had a way to sticky the really important posts because they would so regularly be referred to. This is surely one because the subject of conversions comes up quite often. And you do a very fine job with them. I hope you'll trot these out in the future when the topic returns. With the link you provide the adventurous among us should have no trouble finding their way. With so few AI conversion kits remaining, it means either buy an old film camera, a Df or file down the aperture ring. I do agree that the scalloped aperture ring is a sweet element of pre-AI lenses, but that's not enough for me to forego the conversion kit when I can find one... which I've always been able to do.

Your contribution to the thread is invaluable Jose on my levels. I'm glad you found us low those many years ago...

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Andy, really liking your old village images. The rusty vehicles are great.

Georg, wonderful harbor series. The red rose was very moving.

Leighton, like the old house. Hope Gus recovers fast.

Curtis, lovely roses.

Ray, three more lenses!

Flo, very nice station image.

Jose, nice selfie.

Great work everyone else.

Thank you everyone for the likes and comments on the old keyboard.

cadman342001

CGrindahl wrote:
This series you've been doing Andy is first rate work, both behind the camera and in processing... even if the camera did part of that as well... This is a very nice look that suits the subjects well. Really outstanding.

Thanks Boss !

Generally, I think it was only some of the indoor pics that I used the in camera hdr feature for. I messed up the rest on my own

Mr. G
Total Posts: 808

Several photos from the central coast yesterday. Either the 105 f2.5 or the 200 f4.0 non micro was used

All jpeg's SOOC.... Also have a $76.00 135mm f2.8 AI inbound from eBay

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

flow71 wrote:
Georg, "baltsund" and "ein tag am meer" are fantastic, as is your latest photo Chin!

Steve, exactly. The blue glass gable is distinctive for this station (the gable on the opposite side has orange glass).
My only shot at this station with MF glass:

Very nice !!

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

leighton w wrote:
Had to pick up Gus from the vet yesterday afternoon after getting an "operation". This old abandoned house is across the road from the vet. Shot with the 35/1.4 @ 5.6.

Overtaken by Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Nice, Leighton. You should go back and take some pics inside might be some interesting stuff in there

the solitaire
Total Posts: 2119

asiostygius wrote:
craigjohn wrote:
Alright. Quick question. How difficult is it to convert a non-AI lens to AI?

Are there DIY kits you can buy? If not, can recommendations where to send a lens to get it converted. ...you know, just in case I stumble across an oldie but a goodie one of these weeks.

Considering I am not good at hand works I suppose it is a relatively easy task.
After I found the excellent tips on Pindelski's site at this link:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

I have routinely doing myself ai conversions, since I prefer the original aperture rings, specially in the case of scalloped ones.

Below is an illustration of the work on my 105/2.5 P Sonnar. Contrary to Pindelski, I prefer to maintain the aperture "claw" just because i like the original look of the lens.

DIY-ai-conversion-set por labecoaves, no Flickr

All lens work with D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 hand held.
Pseudo self/debut of the ai'd lens with D7000 hand held.

I also prefer to keep the metering prong (rabbit ears) but not because of the looks. I prefer to have them so I know where f5,6 is.

You use a smaller file then I do so I guess you are a more patient man then I am

CGrindahl

An old boss had a saying behind his desk that said "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill..." But I think patience comes with lived experience Buddy. I've also been told it is a VIRTUE...

But I admire anyone willing to open up one of the lenses and play with the parts. When I was dropping engines in cars when I was a youngster, I was always amazed how many bolts I found lying around afterwards. None of the cars broke down so I guess the bolts were superfluous... but I was never certain... Lenses are much too delicate for my fumbling fingers...

1       2       3              3686      
       3688              5889       5890       end