Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3686

1       2       3              3686      
       3688              4243       4244       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 9291

lsds wrote:

@Leighton:Loved your BW rendering..Your lens seems to be driving so many here..am searching one of my own

Btw have got my old PC working with 512 mb RAM on XP..any advice on what can go in?I have installed Photoshop 7 and seems to work sluggish..Any suggestions?

Thanks Lester, hope you find one soon.

Today's software really needs more than 512mb RAM and some of them won't even work with XP. If you're serious about photo editing then I think it's time you upgrade. I'm running Windows 7 with an intel i5 Quad Core overclocked to 4.2GHz. I also have 16 gigs of RAM and I'm just now satisfied with the performance of LR and PS.

One more thing. I have LR loaded on a SSD and it makes a huge difference.

lsds
Total Posts: 156

kwoodard wrote:
Lestor, that old relic will be sluggish with just about anything you run on it. About the only thing that will help will be some more RAM. You can play around with moving your swap file to another disk drive in the computer (the one that you don't have the OS or Photoshop on). Other than that and keeping it defragged, not a lot you can do other than faster hardware.

Thanks Kevin.Sad news is that even the DDR2 slot is out and I don't think I can upgrade...LR and other tools seem to be pretty out..Any chance of PS7 allowing me to do basic PP with 512mb RAM?That way at least i can start shooting RAW.

lsds

leighton w wrote:

Today's software really needs more than 512mb RAM and some of them won't even work with XP. If you're serious about photo editing then I think it's time you upgrade. I'm running Windows 7 with an intel i5 Quad Core overclocked to 4.2GHz. I also have 16 gigs of RAM and I'm just now satisfied with the performance of LR and PS.

Thanks Leighton..Does LR allow installation on maybe an external HDD and can I use it with the old machine?RAM will be the main prohibiting factor I guess

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2882

lsds wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Lestor, that old relic will be sluggish with just about anything you run on it. About the only thing that will help will be some more RAM. You can play around with moving your swap file to another disk drive in the computer (the one that you don't have the OS or Photoshop on). Other than that and keeping it defragged, not a lot you can do other than faster hardware.

Thanks Kevin.Sad news is that even the DDR2 slot is out and I don't think I can upgrade...LR and other tools seem to be pretty out..Any chance of PS7 allowing me to do basic PP with 512mb RAM?That way at least i can start shooting RAW.

It would, but it would be exceedingly slow. I would expect frequent crashing as well (out of memory errors and such).

mike-in-ak
Total Posts: 220

Thank you all, you are too kind.

I am humbled by the excellent images in this thread. These images are why I scoff when other photographers suggest I need to dump my MF lenses in favor of AFS.

Frankly, I was a bit down in the dumps and felt as if I was flailing around with a camera. The percentage of keepers has fallen way off. You all have given me new inspiration.

Again, thank you

pburke
Total Posts: 2058

lsds wrote: .sorry if I missed out anyone..Been a busy day.
Btw have got my old PC working with 512 mb RAM on XP..any advice on what can go in?I have installed Photoshop 7 and seems to work sluggish..Any suggestions?

I have an old laptop with 2GB of RAM and Photoshop 7. Old slow dual core, but it is quite acceptable to work on files (if you can open them). I think as a minimum, you need more memory.

To run the newer versions of PS efficiently, you need a lot more hardware.

leighton w

lsds wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Thanks Leighton..Does LR allow installation on maybe an external HDD and can I use it with the old machine?RAM will be the main prohibiting factor I guess

This could certainly be an option, but I would use an external SSD for the application, and keep your image files on an HDD, either internal or external. LR suggest a minimum of 6 or 8 gigs of RAM.

leighton w

Lester, You can run LR with less RAM, but it becomes so frustrating that you probably wouldn't use it much.

leighton w

mike-in-ak wrote:
Thank you all, you are too kind.

I am humbled by the excellent images in this thread. These images are why I scoff when other photographers suggest I need to dump my MF lenses in favor of AFS.

Frankly, I was a bit down in the dumps and felt as if I was flailing around with a camera. The percentage of keepers has fallen way off. You all have given me new inspiration.

Again, thank you

This thread is what keeps me inspired to keep shooting with these lenses. I shoot my one AF lens from time-to-time, but it's boring and I don't feel a part of the process. Ignore the naysayers and keep using these wonderful lenses. And keep sharing your excellent images from your beautiful state.

the solitaire
Total Posts: 778

And another word of advise. Lestor, I used an old notebook with a single 1,6 Ghz AMD processor and 1024 Mb of RAM with lightroom 3,6 until recently. That worked. I used Photoshop CS2, which is free because Adobe gave up online verification and offers it as a free download with a universal serial number.

I did recently spend 300 Euros on a notebook however.

Lenove T410
Intel Core i5 dual core CPU
4096 Mb of RAM

I installed Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom 5 which allows me to do a lot of editing and do it smoothly as well.

On your question on th euse of filters for my night shots of this weekend, I imported the photos in Lightroom and applied a preset that mimics the effect of cross processing (back in the day you could shoot a color slide and develop it as a color negative which gave a unique rendering of color and contrast. I loved cross processing. Nowadays photo labs no longer offer the service so I revert to doing the same digitally which is possible with lightroom and the use of smart presets). A preset is a set of alterations to settings like white balance, tone, contrast, curves etc.

leighton w

Sometimes, the morning light in the West can be every bit as beautiful as the scene in the East. This was a heavy crop taken with the 105/2.8 AIS and shot at 6400 iso.

Morning Alpen Glow by Leighton W, on Flickr

lsds

Kevin,Peter,Buddy,Leighton thanks..that helps..
Guess I will have to make do with the limitation of PS & and upgrade hopefully soon..maybe a new PC

@Leighton: Aspen is glowing indeed.Nice twilight mid range tones with the leaves..was missing your pics..it has been sometime since you posted I see..

leighton w

lsds wrote:
Guess I will have to make do with the limitation of PS & and upgrade hopefully soon..maybe a new PC

@Leighton: Aspen is glowing indeed.Nice twilight mid range tones with the leaves..was missing your pics..it has been sometime since you posted I see..

Thank you Lester. And when you're ready to upgrade, build your own, you won't be sorry.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5087

leighton w wrote:
Sometimes, the morning light in the West can be every bit as beautiful as the scene in the East. This was a heavy crop taken with the 105/2.8 AIS and shot at 6400 iso.

Morning Alpen Glow by Leighton W, on Flickr

This is one beautiful photo Leighton

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1025

Thanks for the nice comments on the Sierra and Pelicans shots.

Great work last week. I've been tied-up on a couple of projects, so the like button will have to suffice for the most part.

Jose, "Contasting Clouds Over São Paulo" is outstanding. Both versions were great, but I love the b&w.

George, De Brazza's Monkey is a mesmerizing image. Great work!

Leighton, the blue flowers in the snow photo is excellent.

Curtis, loved the Graucho Marx quote. Great job handling the recent contretemps with respect, reason and good cheer. I would have been tempted to hurl an F bomb or two.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2882

leighton w wrote:
lsds wrote:

Thank you Lester. And when you're ready to upgrade, build your own, you won't be sorry.

Agreed, I don't buy pre-built desktops anymore, I build my own. Build to suit for your needs and budget. My last computer I built in 2008, still going strong...getting a bit long in the tooth, but still working for my needs.

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 487

Chin Great shot at the rice cooker, it is wonderful that you trained your dog to cook
-Jay-

leighton w

Thank you Ray and Jeff.

georgms
Total Posts: 3401

Leighton, I see you still have to deal with the white stuff. Beautiful light, but I'm sure you and Barbara will enjoy this kind of sky over some fresh green even more.

leighton w

georgms wrote:
Leighton, I see you still have to deal with the white stuff. Beautiful light, but I'm sure you and Barbara will enjoy this kind of sky over some fresh green even more.

Thanks Georg. They are calling for more tonight and tomorrow. We are SO ready for Spring! I can't TELL you how ready we are.

1       2       3              3686      
       3688              4243       4244       end