Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3685

1       2       3              3685      
       3687              4074       4075       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2730

A few from today. Used the 55/1.2 and 75-150/3.5E.

First up is the 55/1.2. The "Sun-star" is an actual reflection, not added in post. Thought it was cool, shows the quality of the star it makes.

_DSC9027 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC9012 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Lastly, the 75-150mm

_DSC8994 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

lsds
Total Posts: 155

8 days away from the thread and I see that the thread has advanced by 26 pages and such incredible pictures as always..Lotsa likes for the spectacular images from everybody here.
@Gregg:Loved the sculpture of the indian four..the engine looked original?was it?

Miss seeing vintage motorcycle pics here..vintage MF lens love YES but vintage MC love? any takers?

Work has been hectic the last 2 weeks and hasn't given me any time to get the camera out Miss this thread too.Hope I can get it out this weekend.
An older pic from earlier..sorry for the bad framing..
20 f2.8 wide open on the d7k.

Cheers to everyone.
-lestor

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1282

mike-in-ak wrote:
For all the Aurora junkies (like me )

These were all shot with a D3s - Nikkor 24mm /2.0 combination at varying ISO / shutter speeds. The Corona's were shot with an aperture of /2.8

Sorry if it's an over abundance.

Over abundance of aurora is a good thing Mike AK.

Bert, great use of the 135mm 3.5 on extenders.

Love the granary with a defished 16mm Scott

Peter your droplets are just fantastic

High magnification James, details, details

Very nice focusing on those Birds JD

Tunes Kevin, well captured

A tree silhouette Lestor

I went to the Carlsbad flower fields, they are just beggining to bloom, a few more weeks and it will be even better. Took the 200mm 4.0 ais, which I could not make work and the 20mm 3.5 UD which always works.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D800 Carlsbad flower fields 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 200mm 4.0 ais D800 Carlsbad flower fields by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 200mm 4.0 ais D800 Carlsbad flower fields 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D800 Carlsbad flower fields by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D800 Carlsbad flower fields 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

AND A MACRO

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D800 Carlsbad flower fields 4 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 309

Okay.. I think I liked them all but few stood out.

Samy's baltimore photos..
Aurora shots by Mike - I had opportunity to see them when I was in Canada, but winter was too brutal to hangout to see them..
Peter's water drop shots - havent tried it., but will definitely will now.
Bert's flower shots.
JD's bird photos. Always a happy feeling to take wildlife on manual glass.
David's beach shots esp the stingray
Jay's Palm shot., simple subject but excellent shot.
Ken's sunset shot..
Chin's dog shot., excellent.. I love strobist stuff and dogs.. excellent!
Jeff's pelicans.
Ray's swan shot is one of my fav..
Rafael, I am impressed by your manual shots., I have done events but play safe with AF lenses. 98% is excellent.. I really love that flower shots too.
I love the Bee shot by rolubich.
Buddy's dog shot is really nice.
Kevin's music shots.

I took out my 105mm f2.5 for a spin with my wife. Had some fun playing in photoshop too.

Color vision by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Oosty
Total Posts: 4016

Mike - the aurora images are gorgeous. Congrats on the Nikonian win too!

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 426

Samy I like the shot tower and the red building with all the windows best.
David Beautiful photography with the 28mm f/2.8. What do you feed a stingray?
JD Unbelievable color! Wow!
James How did you reverse the lens? These are a fine celebration of MF lenses.
Peter Spectacular!
Scott You and LR did a great job, fine viewpoint and the sky is great.
Philippe I really like the way you framed this, and the tones are perfect.
Bert Super flower shots.
Michael Fantastic aurora shots, great colors.
Kevin What f/ did you use on the guitar player? A beauty!
Lestor The tree shot is excellent!
Rafael Cool shot of the portrait amid the flowers.
Ram Great portrait with those sunglasses. Captures the spirit of Florida very well.

Thank you for the likes and comments!

Yet another flower...
D800 55mm f/1.2

-Jay-

leighton w
Total Posts: 9016

Is it my imagination, or are the images on here getting better and better?

Great shooting everyone!

Stokesey
Total Posts: 695

WOW

I'm currently away for a few days in Paris so have missed you folks and your contributions

There have been some amazing pix and I can't wait to get back home to comment and wear out my like button too.

Went to Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibition at the Pompidou Centre. Really interesting and although he was a prolific Leica user, we can all learn something from his technique and from any of the Magnum photographers.

Travelling light with three AF lenses only one has been used (14-24) and two MF lenses. The Leigthon lens (50-135) hardly been off the camera and the 28mm f2.8 Ai-s. On the screen on the D800 they look pretty good, but I really want to see them on the big screen.

When I get back I will share some with you folks. If they are any good of course.

Thanks for continuing to inspire.

Steve

leighton w
Total Posts: 9016

Stokesey wrote:
WOW

I'm currently away for a few days in Paris so have missed you folks and your contributions

There have been some amazing pix and I can't wait to get back home to comment and wear out my like button too.

Went to Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibition at the Pompidou Centre. Really interesting and although he was a prolific Leica user, we can all learn something from his technique and from any of the Magnum photographers.

Travelling light with three AF lenses only one has been used (14-24) and two MF lenses. The Leigthon lens (50-135) hardly been off the camera and the 28mm f2.8 Ai-s. On the screen on the D800 they look pretty good, but I really want to see them on the big screen.

When I get back I will share some with you folks. If they are any good of course.

Thanks for continuing to inspire.

Steve

Looking forward to your images. I learn SO much by looking at others work. Check out Ted Forbes Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/theartofphotography He's always showcasing great photographers work.

Take good care of my lens!

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 386

Thank you all for the comments on the Longboat Key sunset. The 25-50 and the D7000 is a color factory and never a bad combination of color and contrast. I have a busy day today.

Samy the shot tower is remarkable and it looks to be a well perserved important part of history. Your perspective is awesome and it must have been some sight a 150 years ago! I like the composition of the Landmark theater.

Jeff well done ... very cool image.

Ray the Hollis Gardens are something I drive by but need to stop and pay attention to them! The 135 is a gem isn't it?

Raphael very colorful as per your normal high standards and well captured.

Roberto some very nice work with the flowers nicely complimented by the bokeh or v-v.

Mike I can see how the sky at night must have frightened the first travelers there ... maybe the world is flat! Please keep these coming. I was to the 60th parallel once but not lucky enough to experience this.

Bert Super and well liked!

Philippe you are the master of Paris street scenes. Yes, they do make us wait!

Peter, there is a built in anticipation for each and every shot you posted! Caught in the exact moment in time it needed to be.

James very neat macro work with pin point focus. A lot of discipline in your work!

JD, red white and blue all unexpected from natural world. Good eye and good photography.

Kevin I like the guitar shot and the star burst.

Lester you treatment of the tree is interesting and "cold" looking. Telling its own story.

Scott here is my vote for more sunshine coming your way and a great capture.

Ram you are impressive! The reflection and the framing is creative and well (pick your own words) to say fantastic!

Jay one terrific shot from the 55mm 1.2 ... did I miss that flower at Hillsboro River?

I like music but don't follow who sings what! There was a song once ... "IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD!" I'm in my search for the best walk around lens for packing light or circumstances when you need to limit yourself to one. I have the 24-70 on the D800 which is great but not MF so putting the 35-70Ai through it's paces yesterday I am posting these!

The 35-70 seems to be in infinite focus from 30yards (33m) out. Very forgiving. In closer and wide open some good contrast is needed to light the green dot up! There was no way to really focus the last shot at 3.5.

Thought's comments.

dhamments
Total Posts: 216

ramkumar999 wrote:
Okay.. I think I liked them all but few stood out.

Samy's baltimore photos..
Aurora shots by Mike - I had opportunity to see them when I was in Canada, but winter was too brutal to hangout to see them..
Peter's water drop shots - havent tried it., but will definitely will now.
Bert's flower shots.
JD's bird photos. Always a happy feeling to take wildlife on manual glass.
David's beach shots esp the stingray
Jay's Palm shot., simple subject but excellent shot.
Ken's sunset shot..
Chin's dog shot., excellent.. I love strobist stuff and dogs.. excellent!
Jeff's pelicans.
Ray's swan shot is one of my fav..
Rafael, I am impressed by your manual shots., I have done events but play safe with AF lenses. 98% is excellent.. I really love that flower shots too.
I love the Bee shot by rolubich.
Buddy's dog shot is really nice.
Kevin's music shots.

I took out my 105mm f2.5 for a spin with my wife. Had some fun playing in photoshop too.

Color vision by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Love this one Ram.... the selective colour makes it for me.

Cheers and good light,
David

dhamments

HCE HCE wrote:
Samy I like the shot tower and the red building with all the windows best.
David Beautiful photography with the 28mm f/2.8. What do you feed a stingray?
JD Unbelievable color! Wow!
James How did you reverse the lens? These are a fine celebration of MF lenses.
Peter Spectacular!
Scott You and LR did a great job, fine viewpoint and the sky is great.
Philippe I really like the way you framed this, and the tones are perfect.
Bert Super flower shots.
Michael Fantastic aurora shots, great colors.
Lestor The tree shot is excellent!
Rafael Cool shot of the portrait amid the flowers.
Ram Great portrait with those sunglasses. Captures the spirit of Florida very well.

Thank you for the likes and comments!

Yet another flower...
D800 55mm f/1.2

-Jay-

Great "just another flower" Jay! BTW, you feed a stingray fish of course!

Cheers, David

dhamments

I took the "Leighton Lens" out for a stroll tonight, trying to get a feel for its strengths and weaknesses. So far I'm liking the convenience of the zoom and am finding the lens to be pretty sharp wide open... Leighton also inspired me to convert one to B&W.

DSC_8100 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

DSC_8104 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

DSC_8112 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

BTW, my focus ring seems a little tight on the 50-135 f3.5 ais when approaching infinity... is this normal for this lens?

Cheers and good light,
David

Zichar
Total Posts: 3479

Ah today was such a rough day at work, so so rough
I loaded up the page, put Mike's photo in the center and stared at it
Willed myself into the scene
The cold biting into my triple-layered gloves, damn the thumb flap and lining
Holding on to the remote, counting in my head
Cheeks burning, breath fogging up the eyepiece just moments ago
As I breathe in the air, clean crisp and silent but for my own chest rising and falling

But it's the wonderment
Of lights dancing above, swirling as if by magic
Nature so vast, so mysterious, beauty and powers incomprehensible
And me, my problems, so insignificant
Thanks

georgms
Total Posts: 3301

David, I really like all 3 seascapes, but the B&W-image stands out. Wow, wow, wow! A dumb question - please don't take it as offense: are the upper "clouds" real?
Keep up the great work, it's really fascinating to see your part of the world through your eyes (and MF-Nikkor).

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4894

Rafael congrats on being published. It is so nice when others recognize our abilities by putting to use our artistry. I would be proud because it's a great accomplishment.! I can only imagine how the flower garden must smell. Such a beautiful site - very nice!

rolubich very nice use of the 28mm 2.8. with it's closeup ability this is how the lens is best used

Mike I so enjoy your Aurora photos and look forward to seeing them in person - one day. Very nice captures.

Bert you have displayed such detail and color in your flowers and the composition is spot on on. Magnificent!

Phillippe love the story that goes with your photo - very nice!

Scott I know that you are ready for winter to be over but can I say that I have so enjoyed your photos this winter and this one is no exception!

Peter I like this set better than the first. Steady hand and good timing!!!

James love the reversed mount photos. Such detail!

JD your photos are beautiful. Wonderfully sharp and detailed. Which lens did you use?

Lestor I love your B&W rendering. It makes such a dramatic photo because the sky is metered so perfectly - very nice

Ram love the way you play with your photos. You have some real talent.

Kevin great starburst

Jay very nice work with the 55mm 1.2. I know it's one of your favorite lenses and you do so well using it. Very nice and i hope we can get together again before you have to go back.

Thanks Ken. I love your portrait of Charlie!

David great work you are doing with the 50-135. Such gorgeous scenery well captured!

Ray

lsds
Total Posts: 155

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments..Had some time today to quickly breeze through some pages that I missed out on the last week..
@Laura:Loved the air-show framing and shot..Nice
@Curtis:Nice BW rendering of the stone walkway..For once I was wondering if those were yours with the flowers missing
@Leighton:Loved your BW rendering..Your lens seems to be driving so many here..am searching one of my own now..Has Nikon begun the royalty payment yet?FM can start a royalty corner too you know
@Andy:great BW rendering and perspective..Love the HDR treatment..Looks natural and not overdone in anyway
@Ray:Congrats..gr8 to see your camera's back and in action..keep 'em coming..
@Mike : Congrats. Your Aurora images just have that effect of humbling us everytime we see them..magnificent capture.
@Jose:Loved the mantis feeding the most..Nice
@Gregg:Nice nature tones
@Reagan:Great images but loved the handguns most..guess I missed out all the action.Bonnie with the tommy takes the cake
@Peter:Loved the stop action on the water droplets..beautiful
@Bert:Loved the flowers and colors
@Buddy:marvellous captures..loved the evening tones..was a filter used?
@Phillipe:Your images as always are Art Exemplified.marvellous
@Kevin:Lovely action capture and the soft tones..I love the drummer the most
@Rafael:Congrats on the publishing.Beautiful swirl of color on the mariachi image.Those flower fields are beautiful too..love the colors and the patterns..
@Samy:Lovely street images..
@Georg:Great framing and perspective on the zoo images..loved each and every one of them..incredible..
@Jeff: The Pelican BW image was my favorite
@Ram:Loved your pictures..The 360 pano blew me away!! WOW..looks like you have been busy with the camera and your PP toys..
@Jay:Love the tones rendered in your image..beautiful..Soft and encompassing..Spring seems to have announced itself in bold on our thread
@Steve:have a safe trip and hope you enjoy Paris..You might bump into Phillipe in one of the arty alleys or dark bridge canopies..
@Ken:Great BW group shot. Nice to see Loved it. Your sunset image just amazes..beautiful framing and colors..and the rendering clarity ofthe D7K impressive indeed..
@David:nature is art captured in your lens. The BW image with the wisps look like magic..marvellous

.sorry if I missed out anyone..Been a busy day.
Btw have got my old PC working with 512 mb RAM on XP..any advice on what can go in?I have installed Photoshop 7 and seems to work sluggish..Any suggestions?

kwoodard

HCE HCE wrote:
-Jay-

Settings:
1/250
/4
ISO 2000
55 mm

And thanks! This was a very heavy crop, one of those happy accident shots.

James Markus
Total Posts: 4372

JD - beautiful blue birds...which lens?
Jay - I used the Nikon BR2 adapter ring + the BR3 Adapter as a lens shade.
ONLY on this thread would 10 people "like" the bits and pieces shots...They are machined so well, and so accurately. Even the rubber is intriguingly well crafted. Good to see so many others can appreciate the craftsmanship.

kwoodard

Lestor, that old relic will be sluggish with just about anything you run on it. About the only thing that will help will be some more RAM. You can play around with moving your swap file to another disk drive in the computer (the one that you don't have the OS or Photoshop on). Other than that and keeping it defragged, not a lot you can do other than faster hardware.

1       2       3              3685      
       3687              4074       4075       end