Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3653

1       2       3              3653      
       3655              5891       5892       end

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

This may be of less significance with the latest cameras but it is an interesting subject to consider...

I will underexpose before exposing to the right any day. It's unbelievable what you can get out of the shadows without any noise with these new sensors. The D600 is one of the highest ranked sensors when it comes to DR.

my moon pictures showed nothing on the right 80% of the histogram (but the stars were there as I later noticed in post). Love the D600, and I'd use it of the body was made out of Lego bricks. Can't understand why some could discount this camera based on the shape of it. The sensor/price performance is totally off the scale compared to all other FX cameras.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Reagan wrote:
I only follow the Sunny 16 rule don't need iso calculations
Going to use the 135/2 alot to see if it's worth keeping

Reagan

I also prefer to underexpose
also to under achieve

Let me know when it's time for you to sell it.

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

@ Michael love the set of your son
especially the bokeh in #1-3

R

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

For all of the b*&chin you did, not to mention what you went through to get it, Reagan you had better keep that lens!!!!

MDoc9523

leighton w wrote:
Reagan wrote:
I only follow the Sunny 16 rule don't need iso calculations
Going to use the 135/2 alot to see if it's worth keeping

Reagan

I also prefer to underexpose
also to under achieve

Let me know when it's time for you to sell it.

Hey friend how goes the search for the 35mm 1.4 AIS? I am also keeping an eye out for one for you. Maybe I can find you a "Ray" deal

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

MDoc9523 wrote:
For all of the b*&chin you did, not to mention what you went through to get it, Reagan you had better keep that lens!!!!

I just wanted yours

R

MDoc9523

Would you feel better if we traded?

BSPhotog
Total Posts: 1563

If you don't but the 20mm f/3.5 for yourself--definitely buy it and pass the deal on here! I want it! Seriously though, if they are selling for $100, it probably isn't seeing much use. That lens deserves some camera time out in the world :-)

nampramos wrote:
Alright, then it might be a good idea for me to pick up this 20/3.5 Ai version that is selling for about 100 USD!

Here are two I took today, using the newly arrived 105/2.5 Ai:

DSC_0163.jpg by Nuno Andr Ramos, on Flickr

DSC_0141.jpg by Nuno Andr Ramos, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

MDoc9523 wrote:
Stokesey wrote:
Ray ..... I have reverted to real nerd mode with manual lenses .... back to total manual control ... except for the electronics of course.

So manual aperture, manual shutter speed, and manual ISO .... how Old School is that ....

It is so good to go back and re-live those days of Nikon F2 Photomic heads and total manual usage ....

I can't think of a better way to treat these wonderful lenses .....

Having said that ... if I want point & shoot .... then I can just switch to Ken Rockwells Professional mode

Tee hee hee

Steve

I like your style Steve! I know auto ISO is a preference. We have so many new people using these beautiful lenses for the first time. I thought sharing my technique might help the transition coming from auto focus, auto settings, VR and yes even Professional mode

Time honored in the tradition of the thread to offer a helping hand to folks either new to these lenses, cameras and processing. I always find it quite remarkable how much useful information gets passed along on this thread. I've learned a great deal along the way...

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5072

Great shot everyone

50mm f1.2 ai-s @ 1.2

Nikon 50 1.2 Ai-s von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

Nikon 50 1.2 Ai-s von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr
180mm ai-s

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

CGrindahl

wise people on this thread wait while you try out lenses Reagan because they expect if they wait long enough, you'll sell and they'll get a great deal... You definitely provide an important service for all of us...

CGrindahl

So flowers are in season... Here are two shot with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s without tubes... roses in the shadows.

flow71
Total Posts: 70

Ronny, great use of both the 50 and 180. I'll have to look at my local stores for extension tubes this week.
Laura, nice shots of the snowy tulips.
Curtis, the watercolor bokeh of the 105 1,8 is indeed great!
Dean, thank you!

With the 105 2,5 AiS:

mike-in-ak
Total Posts: 223

A couple from last night's Lunar Eclipse.

#1 D3s, Nikkor 500mm /4 P ED-IF w/ Kenko 1.4x, ISO 12800, 1/6 sec, /4

#2 D700, Noct-Nikkor 58mm /1.2, ISO 3200, 1.3 sec, /1.2

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

BSPhotog wrote:
If you don't but the 20mm f/3.5 for yourself--definitely buy it and pass the deal on here! I want it! Seriously though, if they are selling for $100, it probably isn't seeing much use. That lens deserves some camera time out in the world :-)

I bought my 20mm f/3.5 AI for $99. One of the best buys in my "kit"

CGrindahl

Best laid plans... I went to Best Buy to get my hands on a D610. I'd held the D600 there some time ago and as mentioned, liked the feel better than the D800. I brought a lens and mistakenly brought a compact flash card, forgetting that the D610 uses a different card. When I saw how the camera was displayed I figured I wasn't going to get too much out of this excursion...

With the theft deterrent wires and zoom lens I couldn't get much of a feel for the camera but I did note one reason why I liked the D600 better. The ridge on the back of the camera where the thumb rests is, like the D700, raised sufficiently that the thumb and fingers can easily old the camera without having to apply pressure. The D800 greatly reduced that ridge. I really dislike holding the D800,

No rush but always curious about such things... Thanks for all the comments.

CGrindahl

The NOCT as it was meant to be used. Wonderful photo Mike!

CGrindahl

I love your work Flo. I'm delighted you found us and share your photos. And yes, the 105 f/2.5 is a great lens and has been for a very long time. In capable hands such as yours it will produce stellar images.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

CGrindahl wrote:
Best laid plans... I went to Best Buy to get my hands on a D610. I'd held the D600 there some time ago and as mentioned, liked the feel better than the D800. I brought a lens and mistakenly brought a compact flash card, forgetting that the D610 uses a different card. When I saw how the camera was displayed I figured I wasn't going to get too much out of this excursion...

With the theft deterrent wires and zoom lens I couldn't get much of a feel for the camera but I did note one reason why I liked the D600 better. The ridge on the back of the camera where the thumb rests is, like the D700, raised sufficiently that the thumb and fingers can easily old the camera without having to apply pressure. The D800 greatly reduced that ridge. I really dislike holding the D800,

No rush but always curious about such things... Thanks for all the comments.

I'm going to assume they didn't have the Df there?

CGrindahl

I haven't found a Df anywhere in Marin... perhaps if I went to S.F. I'd be able to hold one in my hand. I've certainly been impressed with what folks on this thread have been doing with the D600, so I wouldn't rule that out as my next camera... if there is a next camera... At 55,000 shutter actuations I've not yet broken in the D700...

1       2       3              3653      
       3655              5891       5892       end