Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3631

1       2       3              3631      
3632
       3633              5887       5888       end

ramkumar999
Registered: Jan 06, 2014
Total Posts: 1282
Country: United States

I have a question to the Nikon 35mm f2.8 PC or similar lens users. Are there non AI versions or are all of them AI?
Can all versions be mounted on my D600 without breaking anything?

Also found a rough looking 180mm f2.8 ED AIS on ebay selling for a buy it now of $180.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-180mm-F-2-8-ED-Ai-Lens-/281306855403?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item417f31f7eb



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

ramkumar999 wrote:
I have a question to the Nikon 35mm f2.8 PC or similar lens users. Are there non AI versions or are all of them AI?
Can all versions be mounted on my D600 without breaking anything?


Hi Ram, I have the latest version of the PC 35/2.8 ("black knob") and it works just fine. There's a notice in the Nikon manuals about incompatible lenses and the older PC 35/2.8 (PC 35/3.5 too) is listed. I have no clue if any damage can be done by mounting those old lenses to modern DSLR'S, but I don't try.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

A little love for the 28mm 2.8 AIS. I noted a few things while using this lens yesterday. The lens is very light and unobtrusive with a great focus throw. Form where I was to bringing the photo in focus was fast and easy. With the D600 you get a full view of the photo and I was impressed at the sharpness of this lens. The colors were well saturated. The coloring has a little bluer tone than the 24mm 2.8 AIS that I had previously. I think this lens fills a nice gap in between my 20mm 3.5 and 35mm 1.4 but won't replace either one. Lestor I tried to find the perfect setting for a close-up with a wide angle but I couldn't find the perfect shot to really show it off. Curtis I can see why you like this focal length it is very nice on full frame when you don't want to carry both a 20mm and a 35mm in your bag.
Here are some photos from yesterday in downtown Tampa.

at 2.8


at F8




at F11




Come on all of you 28mm 2.8 AIS owners, lets see your love!!!!!



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

the solitaire wrote:

...What are your thoughts on the 200mm f4 Q.C Auto Nikkor? I see a copy on ebay from a seller not too far away. What I'm looking for is a small but sharp 200mm lens to use with tubes. The aperture of f4 is not really a drawback in this case. I know the 180 f2,8 ED Ai-S is stellar, but it's too heavy to justify a place in what is supposed to be a lightweight kit.


Love your enthusiasm Buddy. Clearly, you're much more of an adventurer than i am with your lens rebuilding. I bought two copies of two pre-AI lenses with the intention of swapping aperture rings on each set but then chickened out and had a camera technician at a local shop do it. I kept reading about frozen screws and needing to use a soldering iron to break them loose. I need a soldering iron like I need a hole in my head...

With regard to the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI I'm smitten with the lens. The AI-s version is a very fine lens but like the 135 f/2.8 AI it is a smaller form factor than the earlier Q.C. lens. Especially with long lenses, having a bit more weight and size helps if one is hand holding. The 200 Q.C. is really a joy to hand hold and it performs beautifully with or without tubes. Here's a photo I posed last year taken with this lens and a 36mm Vivitar extension tube attached.


I'd assumed when I began this adventure that I needed to buy the most recent lenses with updated optics and coatings. Of course, as has been mentioned by Samy and Jose above, the older lenses are equally interesting and worthwhile. I love how the older lenses render images. If you can pick up a copy of the 200 Q.C. my guess is you won't be disappointed. And yes, kit building is FOREVER...



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4678
Country: United States

Totally sucks. I have a two hour lunch today and although I had my camera sitting on the table next to my lunch, I forgot it. With the weather being as nice as it has been, and with the recent rain, the campus is beautiful and green. Hope to shoot some this weekend.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

Wonderful presentation Ray. Yes, it is a fine walk around lens and you presented its strengths beautifully. For the price you paid it truly is a steal. And it makes a nice replacement for the 24 now that you're shooting FX. Thanks for this review... it will encourage more people to by MORE lenses...



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Thank you Curtis. I STOLE this lens and I am glad that I did
I made an interesting discovery this week. I purchased the "Hoodman" camera eyecup for blocking out stray light from my vision. The cup rotates so you can use it horizontally as well as vertical. It can be used for right or left eye focus. In trying this out and with a little help from Ken I found out that my dominant eye is my left. Although it was awkward at first I can see much better than before and my focusing and composure ability is much greater. The cup helped me to enjoy shooting more and made framing a real ease. There are different ones for different cameras, this model is for the D600
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

https://hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-EYEN22S



sandycrane
Registered: Nov 29, 2003
Total Posts: 789
Country: United States

Havana, Cuba, 2012. All shot with the 28/2.8 AIs.



Stokesey
Registered: Apr 18, 2012
Total Posts: 1543
Country: United Kingdom

Cracking shot Curtis !!!!

Love your work Georg

Ray ... your 28mm 2.8 love is evident .... perhaps I might liberate mine from the shelf ....

I really like your Cuba shots Sandy .....

Steve



Ken Hill
Registered: Jul 28, 2013
Total Posts: 1118
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Curtis. I STOLE this lens and I am glad that I did
I made an interesting discovery this week. I purchased the "Hoodman" camera eyecup for blocking out stray light from my vision. The cup rotates so you can use it horizontally as well as vertical. It can be used for right or left eye focus. In trying this out and with a little help from Ken I found out that my dominant eye is my left. Although it was awkward at first I can see much better than before and my focusing and composure ability is much greater. The cup helped me to enjoy shooting more and made framing a real ease. There are different ones for different cameras, this model is for the D600
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

https://hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-EYEN22S



Ken Hill
Registered: Jul 28, 2013
Total Posts: 1118
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Curtis. I STOLE this lens and I am glad that I did
I made an interesting discovery this week. I purchased the "Hoodman" camera eyecup for blocking out stray light from my vision. The cup rotates so you can use it horizontally as well as vertical. It can be used for right or left eye focus. In trying this out and with a little help from Ken I found out that my dominant eye is my left. Although it was awkward at first I can see much better than before and my focusing and composure ability is much greater. The cup helped me to enjoy shooting more and made framing a real ease. There are different ones for different cameras, this model is for the D600
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

https://hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-EYEN22S



Right! When I tried to sneak Ray's 135 F/2 out of his bag he caught me using his left eye.

Also to keep up!

Georg .. Unusual perspectives are always a good thing!
Steve .. we have liquid sunshine!
Ram ... looks no worse than my beater 180ED that is A+ optically.
Curtis ... Home ownership ... never understood if you own the home or the home owns you!
Gia ... Leighton's advice is solid. I use my 16mm 2.8 on Robin's D7000 with a result real close to Ray 28 2.8. posted a few posts back. The same shot from a different perspective, on a full frame takes it to another level with the fisheye and PP! It's a permanent keeper Dx or Fx.



giag
Registered: Mar 04, 2014
Total Posts: 136
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Curtis. I STOLE this lens and I am glad that I did
I made an interesting discovery this week. I purchased the "Hoodman" camera eyecup for blocking out stray light from my vision. The cup rotates so you can use it horizontally as well as vertical. It can be used for right or left eye focus. In trying this out and with a little help from Ken I found out that my dominant eye is my left. Although it was awkward at first I can see much better than before and my focusing and composure ability is much greater. The cup helped me to enjoy shooting more and made framing a real ease. There are different ones for different cameras, this model is for the D600
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

https://hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-EYEN22S


Oh yah I always use a eyecup, since I'm left eyed my breathing fogs up the U cup really fast! generally i've used cheap ones but I'm gaming for a nicer one this time



Stokesey
Registered: Apr 18, 2012
Total Posts: 1543
Country: United Kingdom

Is it me .....

Or are some people just not too observant??

There I was by the side of a busy rural road, trying to keep my back end from being hit ....

crouched down on my haunches, camera in hand and up to the eye, pointing it at a field of daffodils ....

Along comes a guy .... pulls up on the other side of this busy road ..... and asks .....

'Are you taking photos of the daffodils?'

Well I was tempted to say .... NO .... I'm building the Eiffel Tower ...... what did he think I was doing? ....

He then proceeds to get out of his car and come over next to me and take his phone out and take photos on it from full standing height ....

Oh well ....... it takes all sorts !!

Steve



Ken Hill
Registered: Jul 28, 2013
Total Posts: 1118
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
A little love for the 28mm 2.8 AIS. I noted a few things while using this lens yesterday. The lens is very light and unobtrusive with a great focus throw. Form where I was to bringing the photo in focus was fast and easy. With the D600 you get a full view of the photo and I was impressed at the sharpness of this lens. The colors were well saturated. The coloring has a little bluer tone than the 24mm 2.8 AIS that I had previously. I think this lens fills a nice gap in between my 20mm 3.5 and 35mm 1.4 but won't replace either one. Lestor I tried to find the perfect setting for a close-up with a wide angle but I couldn't find the perfect shot to really show it off. Curtis I can see why you like this focal length it is very nice on full frame when you don't want to carry both a 20mm and a 35mm in your bag.


Come on all of you 28mm 2.8 AIS owners, lets see your love!!!!!


All right a little love! The reason I think it is it is a good walk around lens is. John Wayne, color, bokeh, and mild rust rendition. Crops beautifully and the big + is CRC

It's between the 16 and the 50mm!



Zichar
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3759
Country: Singapore

I finally got my film (shots start from Sept 2013 yikes) developed ... and for the first time, printed.
Because the woman at the shop was lamenting how no one prints anymore
And she don't make no money off developing... I got soft
Prints look awful though, looks pixelised somehow
Meh, gonna send the negs to my usual contact to get 'em scanned
Can't wait!



the solitaire
Registered: Jun 22, 2013
Total Posts: 2108
Country: Germany

CGrindahl wrote:
the solitaire wrote:

...What are your thoughts on the 200mm f4 Q.C Auto Nikkor? I see a copy on ebay from a seller not too far away. What I'm looking for is a small but sharp 200mm lens to use with tubes. The aperture of f4 is not really a drawback in this case. I know the 180 f2,8 ED Ai-S is stellar, but it's too heavy to justify a place in what is supposed to be a lightweight kit.


Love your enthusiasm Buddy. Clearly, you're much more of an adventurer than i am with your lens rebuilding. I bought two copies of two pre-AI lenses with the intention of swapping aperture rings on each set but then chickened out and had a camera technician at a local shop do it. I kept reading about frozen screws and needing to use a soldering iron to break them loose. I need a soldering iron like I need a hole in my head...

With regard to the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI I'm smitten with the lens. The AI-s version is a very fine lens but like the 135 f/2.8 AI it is a smaller form factor than the earlier Q.C. lens. Especially with long lenses, having a bit more weight and size helps if one is hand holding. The 200 Q.C. is really a joy to hand hold and it performs beautifully with or without tubes. Here's a photo I posed last year taken with this lens and a 36mm Vivitar extension tube attached.

I'd assumed when I began this adventure that I needed to buy the most recent lenses with updated optics and coatings. Of course, as has been mentioned by Samy and Jose above, the older lenses are equally interesting and worthwhile. I love how the older lenses render images. If you can pick up a copy of the 200 Q.C. my guess is you won't be disappointed. And yes, kit building is FOREVER...


Impressive photograph. It looks like that lens will do exactly what I expect of it.

The 180mm f2,8 ED Ai-S is actually smaller (138mm vs. 163mm for the 200mm f4 Q.C), but it has a wider girth (78,5mm vs. 72,5mm for the 200mm) and weighs 880 grams where the 200mm weighs only 630 grams.

The things to like about the 200mm Q.C are scallops, weight and price. Things to like on the 180mm Ai-S over the 200mm Q.C are ED glass, total length and a stop wider aperture.

Since the used market is what it is, I might just pick up the 200mm first for a test drive and see how I like it

Here is a nice kit for anyone interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-5-near-mint-NIKON-non-AI-lens-35mm-2-50mm-1-4-105mm-2-5-135mm-3-5-200mm-4-/141251461914?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item20e33e431a

If I did not already own the 50, 105 and 135mm lens also in this lineup I would buy this set this instant (oh, and there was this thing with $45 shipping and 25% import tax and customs duties)



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Here's a photo for Leighton who like me loves doors. I got a triple header
Taken with the 28mm 2.8 at F5.6





craigjohn
Registered: Dec 30, 2013
Total Posts: 361
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
craigjohn wrote:
Macro, er....Micro question.

I'm eyeing up getting a 105/2.8 AIS - but wondering gif I should go with the a 135/2.8 or 135/2 with an extension tube. Any thoughts?

TIA.

c


I have used the 105/2.8 Micro and the 135/3.5 + tubes for macro, but never made a "scientific" comparison test.
My general impressions are:
If you need critically sharp images at the borders for macros, then the 105/2.8 Micro (or the f/4 version) is the best one.
But if you are not interested in the borders and/or is a casual macro shooter, then the 135mm with any tube is an excellent combo, with the advantages of low cost (tubes) and more working distances than the 105/2.8 micro.
As Curtis already told you medium telephotos + tubes in general have revealed here and mostly in the "shooting with tubes" thread exceptional images.



All one has to do is look at Ronny's images with the 135 and tubes to be sold on what Jose just said.


Yup! Ronny's images are what made me question whether or not I needed....check that.....wanted a 105mm AIS micro. With the 135/2 + tubes, I could kill two birds with one stone and save myself about $300 on getting both the 135/2 AIS and a 105 AIS micro.

Plus, I could throw the tube on my 85/2 AIS. Holy cow, it's micro Micro MICRO!

It would mostly be used for food photography....maybe jewelry. I love my 60/2.8G micro, but for food want more compression at times.

BTW, thanks for all the replies fellas. This thread and it's participants are all kinds of awesome.



craigjohn
Registered: Dec 30, 2013
Total Posts: 361
Country: United States

Now as I think about this even more: the 105/2.5, 135/2.8 or the 180/2.8 with an extension tube sounds like a great inexpensive possibility

The big looming question for me is, ....Can I get 1:1 with a telephoto MF lens and an extension tube?



Ronny Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 5059
Country: Sweden

Thanks

New Lens
I'll be back


Nikon 105 f2.5 Ai von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr



1       2       3              3631      
3632
       3633              5887       5888       end