Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3612

1       2       3              3612      
       3614              5887       5888       end

zhangyue
Total Posts: 4159

Can not following this thread.
Here are humble contribution: some photos with D700 and 50mm f1.2.
At f2, the lens is pure magic

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

MDoc9523 wrote:
QUick question to all. I just realized that when I am through taking photos and I am putting my bag back together to store. No matter what lens is on my camera, I will take it off and make sure that the 35mm 1.4 AIS is on my camera. Does anybody else do that or have I got a bad case of OCD?

Sorry buddy, but you have OCD. Maybe you ought to sell me that 35 so this doesn't happen anymore.

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5059

Hi Michael
Awesome shot ... hope you contribute much more in this thread

Great shot Georg ,Z ,buddy,Steve, kevin, and Jose

Thank's everyone

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

leighton w

Stokesey wrote:
We all know how much Leighton like a door ......

Well on this occasion I went for the grand entrance ....

Sorry Leighton ... no door as such .....

And then beyond the entrance and in the courtyard of the British Library in London is this contorted draughtsman ...

But my concession is to Leighton .... by using the Leighton lens !!

Steve

Wrong kind of door Steve, but I like anyway.

leighton w

zhangyue wrote:
Can not following this thread.
Here are humble contribution: some photos with D700 and 50mm f1.2.
At f2, the lens is pure magic

You're right Michael, it is magic at f2. Great shots.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

You show up seldom Michael but when you do magic arrives with you. Perhaps it is your beautiful family... we've seen your daughter and your son... perhaps it is the 50 f/1.2, which as you say is itself magical at f/2... but I'd love to see your work more often. I know like a number of folks on this thread you have "other" lenses that need a bit of care and tending, but you'll be forgiven that so long as you stop by from time to time to share your work.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
QUick question to all. I just realized that when I am through taking photos and I am putting my bag back together to store. No matter what lens is on my camera, I will take it off and make sure that the 35mm 1.4 AIS is on my camera. Does anybody else do that or have I got a bad case of OCD?

Sorry buddy, but you have OCD. Maybe you ought to sell me that 35 so this doesn't happen anymore.

or......you could borrow it to try it out and I will have to used to another lens

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5059

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm von Ronny Olsson ( Thank's for over 3 000 000 views ) auf Flickr

CGrindahl

Ken Hill wrote:
...Curtis quite dapper that Strawhat would fit in perfectly here and you would look like a native. Congratulations on your new lens.

I bought that hat IN Florida during my one and during my first visit a couple of years ago. I thought it made sense to buy a hat there rather than try to pack the one I wear on the trails here. It remains in my former mother-in-law's closet awaiting my next visit, which may be this summer after Sue settles into her new home. We do a final walk through this afternoon at two, then pick up the keys. She takes possession at 5 p.m.

Ken Hill wrote:
On a final note to Curtis and Raphael. Have either of you given any thought to the weight of the lenses you own on plate tectonics and the effects on the earths crust! Ship some east for the sake of mankind!!!

... that is a very clever attempt Ken but I think I weigh more than my lenses, so it will be easier to move ME East that to ship the 38 lenses in my kit, or is it 39? I'm having a hard time keeping track...

Besides, you don't seem to be having any trouble at all getting lenses to move in your direction. You recent acquisition of the 35-70 f/3.5 AI even motivated me to put in a bid, but alas, the universe wanted that lens to go to someone else who clearly posted a higher bid than I did. For a moment I felt a touch of relief because I really need another lens like a hole in my head. I will say though that Ray's comment about me salvaging a lens is right on. I really want all the great lenses to be in the hands of folks on this thread, even if that means I buy then resell the one's I find. There will likely be one or two 135 f/2.8 lenses on the market sometime soon...

CGrindahl

MDoc9523 wrote:

OCD seldom hurts anyone Ray so don't be too concerned. Now if you took it off and put it back on four or five times before you finally zipped the bag, THEN I'd be concerned...

I always keep a lens on my camera but that lens changes as my mood changes. No doubt what I see on this thread leads me to play with different lenses from time to time. I also will keep a recently acquired lens on the camera for some time as I enjoy its arrival. My new 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI is mounted at the moment, but I expect delivery of a second 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI this afternoon so it will likely spend some time there. You're still romancing that lens so I'm not surprised you'd have it mounted. It is a very useful walk around lens so it makes sense that would be mounted rather than the 85 f/1.4 AI-s, for example. Enjoy the love Ray... it is the product of a great deal of care you've given to building your kit.

SlightlyDented
Total Posts: 26

Huh, maybe autofocus isn't all it is cracked up to be. I may have to reconsider my priorities.

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

or......you could borrow it to try it out and I will have to used to another lens

Hmm...better not, you may not get it back!

CGrindahl

SlightlyDented wrote:
Huh, maybe autofocus isn't all it is cracked up to be. I may have to reconsider my priorities.

Autofocus definitely has its place but it definitely isn't everything. Those of us who have gravitated to this thread discovered at some time in life that turning the focusing ring can add a great deal to the experience of taking photos. I refer to it as a "spiritual experience" as I watch the scene come into focus in my viewfinder. This task requires attention. It slows me down as I consider the composition, where I want focus. Folks are doing that with Leica cameras, turning the focusing ring of five thousand dollar lenses. Folks are doing that with Zeiss lenses mounted on a variety of camera, spending anywhere from one to three thousand dollars. We have the distinct pleasure of having the same experience but doing so with lenses that cost a pittance by comparison. Nikon has been making some of the best MF lenses in the world for the last fifty years. Most are out of production but are having a renaissance as a result of folks like those on this thread who are mounting these old lenses on modern DSLR cameras. You owe it to yourself to at least buy ONE MF lens and give it a go. I don't know what camera you're using, but if it is a Nikon camera and if you buy a Nikon lens, you might want to share what you discover with the rest of us. IF you do, I'd encourage you to add your first name to your profile, as well as a list of the gear you're using. We operate on a first name basis on this thread and we like to keep track of one another's kit building efforts.

Welcome. You can share thought with us regardless of what you're shooting but if you want to post photos please honor our intention to share only MF Nikon lenses when mounted on Nikon film or digital cameras..

leighton w

Eating lunch Curtis?

CGrindahl

It is in the bowl in front of me... so yes...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4678

'Bout to head to lunch myself. Usually peruse this thread just before I head off to eat.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Two more from this afternoon, strolling through neighbors garden with the 55/1.2:

Ai-Nikkor 55/1.2 wide open von georgsfoto auf Flickr
No cream here - D700 + 55/1.2 Ai wide open

Ai-Nikkor 55/1.2 wide open + PK-11A von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700 + PK-11A + 55/1.2 wide open

leighton w

Georg, love both, but the second one is REALLY nice. I like the yellow object that's OOF contrasting with the blue flowers. And both in color at that!

CGrindahl

You have me smiling big time Georg with this last set. Thanks!

Did you see the D3s for sale on the Buy and Sell board from Finland... $3,000 with fairly low shutter count? I don't know whether it is time for you to buy another camera, but that looks like a pretty nice deal...

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Awesome eye Buddy .....

Ronny .... your latest flowers are a beauty to behold .....

Michael ... your boys eyes are classic!!

Leighton .... I warned you it was an entrance ....... you took no notice though ....

Kevin ... your 2nd pic and the Golden Gate Bridge a la Curtis are superb !!

Phillipe your water spout is wonderful ... old and classic .... (maybe) but a great capture .....

Georg ... as always .... your work is an inspiration.

Steve

1       2       3              3612      
       3614              5887       5888       end