Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3531

1       2       3              3531      
       3533              5889       5890       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Thanks Samy. I don't see much to distinguish the two lenses but first hand experience with both leads me to the conclusion you have about the "character" of the 55. For some reason, that is the lens that most often finds its way into my camera bag. Now that might be because I've developed such an affection for pre-AI lenses with their metal focusing ring. It might also be the added 5mm appeals to me since I'm inclined to longer rather than wider. But I believe it is how the lens "draws" to use that bizarre language that I don't really understand. It seems to me it renders busy background more gently than does the 50.

All good. We can never have too many photos of lenses or comparisons of performance... all in the name of encouraging kit building...

CGrindahl

Love the processing for "bad hair day" Leighton. Sweet work.

And Ray, congratulations on getting your camera back. I know it must have pained you to be without it. Happy shooting. I look forward to what you find. I imagine it is quite beautiful this time of year in Florida. Enjoy yourself...

CGrindahl

I walked downtown this afternoon to visit the library with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd mounted on the D700. After shooting for a few days with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd I wanted to re-experience the 200 which I so enjoyed when I bought it last year. As I noted, although it has an older optical design its performance is every bit as good as the 200 f/4 AI-s I added to my kit early in this Nikon MF adventure. The advantage of the Q.C. for me is its size and weight. Much like the older 135 is easier to handle the the newer AI I own, the older 200 balances perfectly on my camera. It is wonderfully sharp with excellent color and contrast. The same can be said for the newer lens, but at that length keeping the camera and lens steady without the extra weight is a challenge. Not so the Q.C. Here are a couple of shots from today, both wide open and hand held. In processing I did no sharpening. I simply did a bit of judicious cropping.

And finally, a photo taken a few days ago with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd.

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

^^^^^^
Right now it is raining and storming
from my house to Ray and Ken's

R

CGrindahl

Rain... in Florida?

At least its warm rain Reagan... Enjoy the evening. Hopefully, you'll get some cloudy skies tomorrow. I love to shoot when the sky breaks opens...

Reagan

Sunny and 80's the rest of the week

R

Mr. G
Total Posts: 808

Reagan wrote:
Sunny and 80's the rest of the week

R

What he said........

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

Curtis, I really like the offset dandelion. I have tried to get similar shots and never get anything that I like.

CGrindahl

We must be suffering in Northern California... it only got up to 70 this afternoon... I really think we should all keep quiet, given what Scott and folks in the northern East Coast are experiencing. Of course, I made the conscious decision to get away from winter and though I didn't go as far as either of you... I'm happy.

CGrindahl

kwoodard wrote:
Curtis, I really like the offset dandelion. I have tried to get similar shots and never get anything that I like.

Thanks Kevin. The light was ideal for that shot. I also came upon tall wild grass that added to the shot. The lens certainly was up to the task. Keep shooting. You'll get there.

Mr. G

RE: My Nikon 35mm f2.8 AI-s lens that I am giving away.

The recipient has been chosen. There were three requests and I wish I had three of the lenses to give away. I would have liked to give a lens to each of them.

The recipient far and away had the most passion for photography and life and probably the worst employment/financial situation of the three. The recipient was also the only one who promised to pay it forward at no cost to another needy photographer if/when he/she was done with it.

I am not going to name the recipient due to the fact that being same identifies him/her as not being in the greatest financial condition. The recipient can identify themselves if they wish.

Till next time

Gregg

Reagan

Winter is the South's way of getting back at the North for starting

"The War of Northern Aggression"

R

Mr. G

The Dandelion in the grass..... My favorite since Ram's sunset photo

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 865

Georg You are correct, I uploaded the wrong file, thanks for pointing that out. Should look better now.
-Jay-

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Curtis, I like the Dandelion a lot too. Love the generous framing.

georgms

HCE HCE wrote:
Georg You are correct, I uploaded the wrong file, thanks for pointing that out. Should look better now.
-Jay-

Jay, sorry, the last thing I wanna do is flooding this wonderful thread with "Prussian correctness". But I like your new upload much better than the first posted shot ;-)

georgms

CGrindahl wrote:
For a moment I thought I'd come upon the wrong thread... Georg... COLOR? I thought you converted all photos to black and white because there WAS no color in your corner of the world. But obviously, that is not the case. I like them all but the last one is really sweet. Makes me wish that Rinie still hung around the thread. She is a big fan of horses. You have the eye my friend and do these lenses proud... or perhaps its the other way around...

Thanks, Curtis! The papers I shoot for will print everything except historical pictures in color. That's probably the reason why I try to keep a feel for B&W.
Btw, part of the fun with new old MF-Nikkor's is the way to see the world - looking/searching for subjects that could look interesting if shot with the last purchase. When driving around I try to look for buildings who call for a shot with a PC-lens or landscapes to be pictured with the 400mm. Great fun and a good exercise, even if the shot isn't possible for time- or other reasons.

Reagan

I hate how much I use the like button but some incredible images by everyone
I have 2 new lens 1 in repair and a 50 that I fondle quite often
but the broken fence is calling, the pressure washer needs to be used a 100 other things related to owning
a home
Am I the only one who doesn't have time to go out and shoot?
I guess I shouldn't complain a lot of you still get up and go to work every day
I feel better now

Reagan

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

georgms wrote:
Some more shots from a short walk this afternoon:

lines (alt) von georgsfoto auf Flickr
more birches, more green grass for my friends dealing with snow again
D700 - Ais 400/3.5 IF-ED, f/5.6, cropped at the bottom

dem Osten zugewandt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
eastbound birch trees - don't know what's growing at the field
D700 - 400/3.5 wide open

Ende Gelšnde von georgsfoto auf Flickr
nature takes over - 400/3.5 at f/5.6

now tell me how I feel von georgsfoto auf Flickr
...and one with the Nikkor-H Auto 28/2 wide open - D700

Sorry for all those colors

Lovely series Georg. Very hard to pick a favorite here.

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 865

How's that for suspension! Hope the seat had springs.
D800 55mm f/1.2

-Jay-

1       2       3              3531      
       3533              5889       5890       end