Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3531

1       2       3              3531      
3532
       3533              4066       4067       end

cadman342001
Registered: Dec 02, 2005
Total Posts: 2688
Country: Australia

bruni wrote:









Good to see ya Ben, I love this one, great shot. Are we all thinking "kneel down woman ! get to her level !" ? I know I am

I must say it's wierd people talking about posters who no longer post here seeing as I'm also reading the thread from the start and they're still there Was gonna post a dog pic for Monty too.


cadman342001
Registered: Dec 02, 2005
Total Posts: 2688
Country: Australia

Happy Australia Day !

Couple of shots from Kuranda people practice with the 180


_DSC5700 by cadman342001, on Flickr

Tara, a 14 year old Tenterfield Terrier (Australian Breed)


_DSC5710 by cadman342001, on Flickr

With her owner


_DSC5728 by cadman342001, on Flickr

Busted !


_DSC5735 by cadman342001, on Flickr

One of the devil's disciples


_DSC5714 by cadman342001, on Flickr

Chilling with a coffee

Andy



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 12780
Country: United States

Not me Scott. This is not a lens that has especially grabbed me so I feel no urge to add it to my kit, which is sitting in a cabinet and one camera bag at the moment. The camera bag is pretty close to the door, but it hasn't made it out yet...

I thought of that lens because it is in so few kits. Georg and Samy have it but I don't know anyone else who does. There are so many folks on this thread who've been investing in their kits that few lenses would inspire folks to play. I also recall that by the time Nikki arrived in this country there was a certain diminution of excitement. Probably like most folks, it is the exotic locations that stir interest and we certainly had that during the early months of the adventure.

Perhaps rather than sending a lens around the world we should begin a "treasure hunt" in which folks would need to take photos of specific things delineated on a list. We did that on TrekEarth and it was great fun. It certainly would motivate folks to step out of their normal routine when it comes to shooting. It could things like... take a photo of a sporting event, or people dancing, of firefighting equipment, of a boat NOT in the water, of an inoperable car... I won a treasure hunt on TE. The most challenging item was to take a photograph of something over a hundred years old. I laughed that all folks in Europe had to do was turn around and take a photo. I could have copted out and taken a photo of a redwood tree, but instead I traveled to San Francisco to take a photo of Mission Dolores, one of the very few buildings in the Bay Area over a hundred years old. It was great fun and definitely got me taking photos.

Of course, I didn't stop by to offer suggestions for a game, but rather simply to marvel at Ben's visit. It is always nice to encounter familiar cyber friends, however. I haven't commented Scott but you've posted some lovely work. I have a feeling your involvement with this thread has been a great encouragement for you both to take photos and to hang out with friends. That, of course, was what the thread has been about since the beginning. I'm delighted so many folks have found this a friendly place to hang out...

One photo... I may have posted this before, but then I can always plead a bad memory...


105 f/1.8



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3298
Country: Germany

bruni wrote:

Curtis - posting a few homilies and then disappearing won't wash. If I have to launch a new lens adventure, I will!

ben

CGrindahl wrote:
Perhaps that Zeiss 135/2 wants to experience a bit more of the world... Of course, you'd have to post THOSE photos on the Alternative Gear forum.

Honestly, we were very fortunate in the lens you made available since it was not one any of us had in our kit. I'm afraid another go round would make the challenge of finding another lens even more difficult, though one thought did cross my mind. Seeing Georg's recent work with the 35 f/2.8 PC lens makes me wonder whether that might be a lens that would both challenge and excite folks to give it another go. Needless to say, few of us have experience with one of these lenses and learning to use one would certainly pose challenges worthy of this august group... I include you in that comment too Ben...

Of course, like your 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd, this is not an inexpensive lens so it is not likely those few folks who own one would be inclined to send it around the world. And if it is a pre-AI version, we'd be called upon to do stop down metering, something I can't remember ever having done. There are AI versions of the lens but they become even more precious. This is the least expensive copy I found on E-Bay...

Nikon PC 35 f/2.8 AI for $290.00

But I'm not sure this crowd is up for another 11 month adventure... though the thread will surely be going strong for a LONG time.

Nice to see you on the thread Ben. You got me talking...


Curtis, a fine offer you've found over at ebay. I'm just afraid that the PC 35/2.8 will be even more challenging on a DX-based body than on a FX-Nikon (the PC 28/3.5 is hardly useable on a D7000, for example).
While not as exotic as a shift-lens a classic Zoom-Nikkor like the 50-135/3.5 (Leighton has two copies of it) or another really old Nikkor-tele like a 135/3.5 Q could go on a journey.



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 2258
Country: United States

Great to see all the veterans coming out of the woodwork, including the chief instigator of this thread!

One other person who hasn't been posting for a while is Mark. Hope he is fine and will show up soon again.

Andy, and Ben, happy Australia Day!

My plunge backwards into time continues, this time fiddling around with film. Just learning so please be gentle First thing to learn was Superia ISO 400 has a lot of grain?? These are all with Fuji Superia 400. Nikon FG and 20 3.5 UD.

Capitol building flare and ghosts.

CapitolInSunFGFujiSuperia400w20UD by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Union Station in DC

UnionStationFGFujiSuperia400w20UD by maryland_photos, on Flickr

The Library of Congress.

LibraryOfCongressFGFujiSuperia400w20UD by maryland_photos, on Flickr






georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3298
Country: Germany

Andy, a very nice set with 180! My favs are the "dog and her owner" and "Busted" (a portrait of Mr. Cadman?). Happy Australia Day!

Curtis, your fence-detail is a typical "Grindahl-shot": tasty bokeh-play paired with a simple, yet elegant framing.



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3298
Country: Germany

Samy, after the first look I thought: "Samy spent big bucks on the VSCO-plugins" ;-) A nice set, I love the grain, which seems to be exaggerated in the scanning-process. A conventional wet print would show much less grain.
In terms of composition I like the Library-shot the best.



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 2258
Country: United States

Curtis, if you are talking about the 35 2.8 PC, Jose got it a couple months ago and posted some wonderful shots with it, Georg got it recently and seems to be having no trouble mastering it right away And of course Roberto just posted his excellent samples too. I don't think anyone else has the lens, I have the 28 3.5 PC that I seem to point at anything remotely architectural

Taking pictures of something over a hundred years old sounds interesting though, I might just have to get out in the cold tomorrow morning and find a subject



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 2258
Country: United States

Thanks for the input Georg! I get it developed locally, interestingly there's still places that develop film. Not sure I was so happy with the output on the prints, but that's probably just my skillset with the camera. One gets too spoiled with the modern digital luxuries.

I am trying the Portra 160 next, and hopefully learning the FG metering and the split screen focusing better with each exposure

Also have Ilford 50 to try.

georgms wrote:
Samy, after the first look I thought: "Samy spent big bucks on the VSCO-plugins" ;-) A nice set, I love the grain, which seems to be exaggerated in the scanning-process. A conventional wet print would show much less grain.
In terms of composition I like the Library-shot the best.



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3298
Country: Germany

Another stitched image (two horizontal shots again) with the PC 35/2.8:

Should have used a polarizer - stitched image with the PC 35/2.8 at f/8



bruni
Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Total Posts: 1419
Country: Australia

CGrindahl wrote:
bruni wrote:

Curtis - posting a few homilies and then disappearing won't wash. If I have to launch a new lens adventure, I will!

ben


Perhaps that Zeiss 135/2 wants to experience a bit more of the world... Of course, you'd have to post THOSE photos on the Alternative Gear forum.

Honestly, we were very fortunate in the lens you made available since it was not one any of us had in our kit. I'm afraid another go round would make the challenge of finding another lens even more difficult, though one thought did cross my mind. Seeing Georg's recent work with the 35 f/2.8 PC lens makes me wonder whether that might be a lens that would both challenge and excite folks to give it another go. Needless to say, few of us have experience with one of these lenses and learning to use one would certainly pose challenges worthy of this august group... I include you in that comment too Ben...

Of course, like your 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd, this is not an inexpensive lens so it is not likely those few folks who own one would be inclined to send it around the world. And if it is a pre-AI version, we'd be called upon to do stop down metering, something I can't remember ever having done. There are AI versions of the lens but they become even more precious. This is the least expensive copy I found on E-Bay...

Nikon PC 35 f/2.8 AI for $290.00

But I'm not sure this crowd is up for another 11 month adventure... though the thread will surely be going strong for a LONG time.

Nice to see you on the thread Ben. You got me talking...


OK Mr Grindahl - you're ON!!! (you should know better than to throw the gauntlet down to me)

Yes, I'll ship the zeiss 135mm f2 (but be aware - it's a heavy mother - sending it around (express) will not be cheap for everyone).
I also have a 35mm f2.8PC non-ai coming. Have to get it ai'd when it arrives - and yes, I'll ship that too!

Mister - your bluff has been called!!

if 11 months is too much - maybe people can keep the lens for a shorter period - a week or so. that'd get us down to a more manageable time.

ben



bruni
Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Total Posts: 1419
Country: Australia

Samy love the DC shots - that 20mm f3.5 UD does beautiful flares and ghosts doesn't it?

Georg - never mind about the polariser - that stitch works for me. I see you like your grain.

ben



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 2870
Country: United States

Nice to here from you Ben, you haven't lost your touch

Another car show with 300 plus cars I get tired of taking photos of them
River Ranch, Fl

Reagan



cadman342001
Registered: Dec 02, 2005
Total Posts: 2688
Country: Australia

georgms wrote:
Andy, a very nice set with 180! My favs are the "dog and her owner" and "Busted" (a portrait of Mr. Cadman?). Happy Australia Day!


Thanks mate, no, not me, the title refers to the fact that I was caught trying to get a picture of him and he stared straight at me !



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 12780
Country: United States

I see Leighton headed down to Florida for a spell now that winter is in full force. Great you caught a photo of him Reagan...

I don't recognize the person in the second photo... but I had NO doubt about who took it...



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 12780
Country: United States

Ben, you're a force to reckon with, no doubt. But I think another round of the Nikon adventure is not in the cards at the moment, at least if I'm to organize it. Others may want to play, but honestly, I think something a bit less adventurous is in order. Any ideas?



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 2720
Country: United States

bruni wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
bruni wrote:

Curtis - posting a few homilies and then disappearing won't wash. If I have to launch a new lens adventure, I will!

ben


Perhaps that Zeiss 135/2 wants to experience a bit more of the world... Of course, you'd have to post THOSE photos on the Alternative Gear forum.

Honestly, we were very fortunate in the lens you made available since it was not one any of us had in our kit. I'm afraid another go round would make the challenge of finding another lens even more difficult, though one thought did cross my mind. Seeing Georg's recent work with the 35 f/2.8 PC lens makes me wonder whether that might be a lens that would both challenge and excite folks to give it another go. Needless to say, few of us have experience with one of these lenses and learning to use one would certainly pose challenges worthy of this august group... I include you in that comment too Ben...

Of course, like your 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd, this is not an inexpensive lens so it is not likely those few folks who own one would be inclined to send it around the world. And if it is a pre-AI version, we'd be called upon to do stop down metering, something I can't remember ever having done. There are AI versions of the lens but they become even more precious. This is the least expensive copy I found on E-Bay...

Nikon PC 35 f/2.8 AI for $290.00

But I'm not sure this crowd is up for another 11 month adventure... though the thread will surely be going strong for a LONG time.

Nice to see you on the thread Ben. You got me talking...


OK Mr Grindahl - you're ON!!! (you should know better than to throw the gauntlet down to me)

Yes, I'll ship the zeiss 135mm f2 (but be aware - it's a heavy mother - sending it around (express) will not be cheap for everyone).
I also have a 35mm f2.8PC non-ai coming. Have to get it ai'd when it arrives - and yes, I'll ship that too!

Mister - your bluff has been called!!

if 11 months is too much - maybe people can keep the lens for a shorter period - a week or so. that'd get us down to a more manageable time.

ben


I'm down for either one. Unfortunately, I would be shooting on a Fuji XE1...unless I busted out the film camera...hmm...



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4016
Country: South Africa

As an alternative to an "Around the World trip" why not start a "virtual" tour by picking a focal length that is common to many of us, say 28mm?

If Leighton ( or someone else who knows his way round the blogosphere, which I don't) is up to it, we could resuscitate the Nikki blog or set up another?

We could accomplish quite a lot very quickly and then perhaps move to another focal length. Using obscure lenses would limit the interaction, while the 28 2.8 in any form is common and relatively cheap to buy for those who would like to take part but don't already have this fantastic piece of glass in their kit.

Thoughts?



bruni
Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Total Posts: 1419
Country: Australia

CGrindahl wrote:
Ben, you're a force to reckon with, no doubt. But I think another round of the Nikon adventure is not in the cards at the moment, at least if I'm to organize it. Others may want to play, but honestly, I think something a bit less adventurous is in order. Any ideas?


ha ha ....I knew it. You piked. Can't believe the zeiss didn't tempt you. Let history take note - on page whatever this is!!

ben



bruni
Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Total Posts: 1419
Country: Australia

Australia Day here - spent it with the 75 - 150mm f3.5 and 2 other lenses I hadn't used in so long that I had to read the side of them before posting.

ben












1       2       3              3531      
3532
       3533              4066       4067       end