Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3511

1       2       3              3511      
3512
       3513              4371       4372       end

Ken Hill
Registered: Jul 28, 2013
Total Posts: 561
Country: United States

Arlen,

In Ray's hands that lens would make anyone look good! See you next week.



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4047
Country: South Africa

No Ray - trying to avoid it

I've been so busy with outdoor activities this week that I've even used my IPhone (horrors) to take pics for my Blipfoto page! The good thing about that is that it forces me to look for pictures rather than just sitting on my butt waiting for a day to go "out with the camera!" .

Good to see old friends checking in and great to know they're still out there making sure the integrity of this thread is maintained. It's hard to believe that in 3500 odd pages there have been so few aggressive or insulting posts - must be almost unique for an internet thread.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

MarshallCamera wrote:
Hello Ray. Ken was in the other day and mentioned I was now famous


So cool. Grab a couple of the many manual Nikon lense that you have at Marshalls and take and post some photos!



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4047
Country: South Africa

Another quickie with the 500mm f8 - there was a live bird outside but he flew away when I moved so you'll have to see the bronze sculpture of a kingfisher instead



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Oosty wrote:
No Ray - trying to avoid it

I've been so busy with outdoor activities this week that I've even used my IPhone (horrors) to take pics for my Blipfoto page! The good thing about that is that it forces me to look for pictures rather than just sitting on my butt waiting for a day to go "out with the camera!" .

Good to see old friends checking in and great to know they're still out there making sure the integrity of this thread is maintained. It's hard to believe that in 3500 odd pages there have been so few aggressive or insulting posts - must be almost unique for an internet thread.


I think that we are lucky here to have so many friends. I agree our family supports each other and no need for insults.
Loving your photos using the 500mm truly remarkable what you are accomplishing even without a tripod - Great!



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3487
Country: Germany

Peter, that's a nice bird you've caught! Still looking for my first catadioptric lens - was out-bid on the Tamron Kevin suggested, got side-tracked by a vintage Reflex-Nikkor 50cm / f/5 (wow, amazing looking lens), had a brief look at some 600mm Sigmas - can't make up my mind.
Your version of the latest 500mm ranks pretty high on my watch-list ;-)

Ray, I like your methodical way to determinate if the 135/2 or the 50/1.2 will be your next Nikkor. Cool looking car - and an interesting test-subject. Your 35/1.4 would emphasize the car's unique front, the 85/1.4 (not to mention the 135/2) would generate a more concentrated view. The 50/1.4 (or 50/1.2) might be a good compromise between 35 and 85mm.

Chin, thanks for sharing the link to your favorite flick ;-) Cool stuff, bookmarked.

Arlen, hi, welcome to this fine thread!



Ken Hill
Registered: Jul 28, 2013
Total Posts: 561
Country: United States

Ray ... there will be many pictures if he does that!

I like my 180 2.8 ED and you may enjoy hearing about how I got it. I was at a camera swap meet and there wasn't a lot there but one table had a bunch of old lenses and there it was. I picked it up and it was covered in grime, so much so I wiped away some grunge to have a good look at it. The outside was trashed but the glass was very good and the stops were crisp. Beneath the wiping I uncovered the name "Jose" etched in with one of those vibrating pens. I thought "Jose" used the heck out of this thing but made sure the glass was kept as it should.

With all the dents and dings I bought it for $40.00 and took it home. Wondering if I did the right thing I got a soft rag, toothbrush and some Hoppes #9 bore cleaner and worked on the outside, the painted numbers became clear and then finally clean.

Well the "Jose" scribed was a part of "San Jose Mercury News." So it really was a pro lens!!

She's so ugly I have to show it off as one of the ugliest there is out there.

The second shot is a hand held BIF took with it and the TC200 last December.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9597
Country: United States

Great find and great story Ken!

You and Ray tell your friend to post away!



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3487
Country: Germany

saph wrote:
I don't need any more lenses. I don't need any more lenses. <Trying to not read John's glowing recommendation on the 45 P>

Nikon FG, with the 10.5cm f2.5 lens mounted. Taken with the D800 + 55 1.2 S. Now wait, how do I know the images of door knobs and magazines I took today were in focus, correct exposure, the depth of field I was looking for, heck even a reasonable composition How did us humans survive for so long without instant gratification??


NikonFG by maryland_photos, on Flickr

georgms wrote:
Samy, part of the fun of using film-cameras is the excitement when pulling the freshly developed* film out of the spool/tank. In some cases shooting with vintage gear is such a great experience that the pictorial output is never as nice as the joy while handling well-crafted old gear. I'm a weirdo** in this matter, but sometimes I don't care for the final pictures - the process of shooting with a Leica M3, framing with that fantastic finder, the feel/haptic of this superbly engineered equipment is more important than looking at the pictures done with it.
I'm sure the same feelings can be achieved by using vintage Nikon-gear too.
Happy shooting, Georg ;-)

*) and properly fixed and rinsed
**) "a fondler" in the Leica-terminology

MDoc9523 wrote:
Well said Georg and can I just add; "If you want to be a good photographer it is important that you take photos"


Ray, you're spot-on, of course. But to be honest, I'm not after taking photos, rather after taking images. If I could draw I would draw. A camera is a great tool for those who can't draw to capture images/grab scenics.
On the other hand I like to play with gear like the MF-Nikkor's or all the vintage cameras I have accumulated (my geek-side).
And playing with a fast 50 is more fun than learning how to use the charcoal and lead-pencils I've got myself for christmas ;-)



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3487
Country: Germany

Ken, I like the story behind your 180! In many times "ugly" lenses will still deliver great results. And just imagine how the individual issues of the "Mercury News" would look like if all the shots taken with this lens over the years would be blanked out ;-)



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9597
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
saph wrote:
I don't need any more lenses. I don't need any more lenses. <Trying to not read John's glowing recommendation on the 45 P>

Nikon FG, with the 10.5cm f2.5 lens mounted. Taken with the D800 + 55 1.2 S. Now wait, how do I know the images of door knobs and magazines I took today were in focus, correct exposure, the depth of field I was looking for, heck even a reasonable composition How did us humans survive for so long without instant gratification??


NikonFG by maryland_photos, on Flickr

georgms wrote:
Samy, part of the fun of using film-cameras is the excitement when pulling the freshly developed* film out of the spool/tank. In some cases shooting with vintage gear is such a great experience that the pictorial output is never as nice as the joy while handling well-crafted old gear. I'm a weirdo** in this matter, but sometimes I don't care for the final pictures - the process of shooting with a Leica M3, framing with that fantastic finder, the feel/haptic of this superbly engineered equipment is more important than looking at the pictures done with it.
I'm sure the same feelings can be achieved by using vintage Nikon-gear too.
Happy shooting, Georg ;-)

*) and properly fixed and rinsed
**) "a fondler" in the Leica-terminology

MDoc9523 wrote:
Well said Georg and can I just add; "If you want to be a good photographer it is important that you take photos"


Ray, you're spot-on, of course. But to be honest, I'm not after taking photos, rather after taking images. If I could draw I would draw. A camera is a great tool for those who can't draw to capture images/grab scenics.
On the other hand I like to play with gear like the MF-Nikkor's or all the vintage cameras I have accumulated (my geek-side).
And playing with a fast 50 is more fun than learning how to use the charcoal and lead-pencils I've got myself for christmas ;-)


Well said Georg.



pbraymond
Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Total Posts: 1111
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
Ray, you're spot-on, of course. But to be honest, I'm not after taking photos, rather after taking images. If I could draw I would draw. A camera is a great tool for those who can't draw to capture images/grab scenics.


Yep, right there. My dad still paints, but lack of any skill in that arena meant photography is a better option for me. Sometimes I still envy how painters can just paint the elements they want and not need to avoid stuff that take away from a picture.



cadman342001
Registered: Dec 02, 2005
Total Posts: 3044
Country: Australia

Starting to lose track of what I've posted and what I haven't so apologies of you've seen any before !


_DSC5293 by cadman342001, on Flickr


_DSC5292 by cadman342001, on Flickr


_DSC5499 by cadman342001, on Flickr


_DSC5497 by cadman342001, on Flickr


_DSC5437 by cadman342001, on Flickr


_DSC5472 by cadman342001, on Flickr



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 3108
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
MarshallCamera wrote:
Wow, I really need to get some more sun


Wow Really great to see you! Is this Arlen? This is Ray you let me try out your Nikkor 58mm 1.2 - Loved it even if it wasn't for sale



Everything is for sale Ray
You just haven't offered the right price

Reagan

Is that the camera store we went to?



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 3108
Country: United States

Ken Hill wrote:
Ray ... there will be many pictures if he does that!

I like my 180 2.8 ED and you may enjoy hearing about how I got it. I was at a camera swap meet and there wasn't a lot there but one table had a bunch of old lenses and there it was. I picked it up and it was covered in grime, so much so I wiped away some grunge to have a good look at it. The outside was trashed but the glass was very good and the stops were crisp. Beneath the wiping I uncovered the name "Jose" etched in with one of those vibrating pens. I thought "Jose" used the heck out of this thing but made sure the glass was kept as it should.

With all the dents and dings I bought it for $40.00 and took it home. Wondering if I did the right thing I got a soft rag, toothbrush and some Hoppes #9 bore cleaner and worked on the outside, the painted numbers became clear and then finally clean.


Did you also run a bore snake thru it

Reagan



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 3108
Country: United States

Last 2 from my walk the other day

Reagan



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Reagan wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
MarshallCamera wrote:
Wow, I really need to get some more sun


Wow Really great to see you! Is this Arlen? This is Ray you let me try out your Nikkor 58mm 1.2 - Loved it even if it wasn't for sale



Everything is for sale Ray
You just haven't offered the right price

Reagan

Is that the camera store we went to?



Yes it sure is



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9597
Country: United States

pbraymond wrote:
georgms wrote:
Ray, you're spot-on, of course. But to be honest, I'm not after taking photos, rather after taking images. If I could draw I would draw. A camera is a great tool for those who can't draw to capture images/grab scenics.


Yep, right there. My dad still paints, but lack of any skill in that arena meant photography is a better option for me. Sometimes I still envy how painters can just paint the elements they want and not need to avoid stuff that take away from a picture.


I wish i could paint too. I love watching Bob Ross, he made it look so easy.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9597
Country: United States

Andy and Reagan, thanks for adding color and warmth to my world.



asiostygius
Registered: Nov 29, 2011
Total Posts: 2678
Country: Brazil

Georg, loved your last work with the tiny 85mm f/2.

It is a very good lens with the bonus of tiny size (almost always I think it is a 50mm lens when looking at my collection of lenses

I made some time ago a simple and not strictly scientific test on bokeh of my 85mm lenses, if you are interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/8734098214/in/set-72157630731799688
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/8734097678/in/set-72157630731799688/

Under the circunstances of this test (around 10-30m, palm leaves - the background tree) at f/2 the 85/2 appears to be a little more "busy", but from f/2.8 and down all lenses have similar bokeh (not shown on my test, but beleive me).



1       2       3              3511      
3512
       3513              4371       4372       end