Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3460

1       2       3              3460      
       3462              5890       5891       end

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Ken, really enjoying your prop and engine close ups. Loved that "reflection not turning" one. And I really for a moment wondered if you flying on the 50's technology airplane facing backwards, until I saw the next pic of the same plane

Ram, cool pictures of the cat with the toy.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Peter, I like that challenge for the rest of the month. Not sure which lens I will go with yet.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

I am going to partake in the challenge with my Series E 50. Its my favorite lens. I am going to winnow my carry to just the body and lens. No grip or any extra's and see how I do.

waysaz
Total Posts: 110

Kitties and a single lens? Done and done!

We lost 2 cats in 6 months, but have happily moved on to the next generation with a pair of rescues. Say hello to Chewy, being groomed by his sister Clarice. Happily they are not camera shy, and the built-in gray balance is a bonus. I'm still working on the white tones...

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Ken, beautiful shot of the Stearman, and that prop really does look like it's spinning. If you cropped that tree out of the 4th image, you'd almost think you were flying it!

Ram, very nice looking cat.

kwoodard

I have to say I am impressed with the images you folks are getting with an older D200 or even a D40!

I am finding that my D7000 seems to have a lot of "grain" in the shots, even at ISO100. Not sure what is going on there. Any ideas?

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 1282

kwoodard wrote:
I have to say I am impressed with the images you folks are getting with an older D200 or even a D40!

I am finding that my D7000 seems to have a lot of "grain" in the shots, even at ISO100. Not sure what is going on there. Any ideas?

Are you seeing the grains in the shadows or overall? May be the photo is getting underexposed due to stuck aperture or something else.. Typically I see grains in my D40 at ISO 400., but not at ISO200, unless I was purposefully underexposing the image with higher shutter speed.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Nancy, great image of your cats.

mp356

kwoodard wrote:

Hi Kevin. I have not noticed any grain when I shoot at ISO 100 with my D7000. I do start to notice it at ISO 400 though. Usually I start to notice grain at low ISO's when I try to pull to much detail out of dark areas in post-processing.
Scott

mp356

Temperatures above freezing for the first time in weeks yesterday and today.

Taken a few days ago with the 25-50 f4 Ai, another local barn. Thanks for looking.
Scott

kwoodard

I am getting "black dot grain" from ISO 150 onward. I don't remember my old one doing that. I may have a setting off though, I haven't reset it from its previous owner.

waysaz
Total Posts: 110

kwoodard wrote:

Yikes! I've been happy with files from our D90, better than D40 & D200 (yes, in that order). Would expect D7k to kill 'em.

mp356 wrote:
Nancy, great image of your cats.

Thanks, Scott! Only a snapshot. I'll work for better. Maybe with the D40.

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

saph wrote:
Reagan, I think you missed focus on that last one.

I wasn't going to post the one of the girls because the focus was off
but Leighton made me. Suggesting that I only photograph "old white guys"

Reagan

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 1282

One last photo to wind up Thursday night here in East Coast.
Shooting Strobist info:
D40, ISO 200, 1/1000 (no high speed sync stuff here), Nikkor 85mm f2 AI.
SB26 at 1/16 power handheld at Camera left., white cardboard handheld at camera right as separator.

Profile Photo by ramkumar999, on Flickr

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

saph wrote
Agreed with Larry!!

All I can say is "WOW", that is one beautiful lens in a very appropriate setting.

I just wish I could play with some of the more exotic lenses Nikon has made, but the more exotic, the more cost. Too much for this poor hobbyist.

~ Larry

Just come visit me, you can stay for the weekend and use my lenses, (As long as I get to mount, unmount them from the camera)

rafaelcasd

Oosty wrote:
For Kevin -

One of the amazing things about this thread is the sense of community that we've developed.

Kevin joined us and showed us his skill, he then had self doubt (as many of us do), conquered that and showed even more skill.

We've shared his excitement at being given a bunch of lenses by someone who met and liked him.

We have become aware of his back problems and shared his anguish at not being able to stay with us. We have offered possible solutions but when he went away... we missed him.

Kev - you came back but the body has let you down. We would like you to stay.

In the light of all that I've written I'm sure there has to be a solution.

Perhaps you need to revert to basics - a Nikon V1 of some description married to just one lightweight ai or ais lens. Maybe even one of the famed pancake lenses.

You are a good enough photographer to make great pictures with a pinhole camera and if you have a combination that you could handle I have no doubt that you could make the challenge of one camera with one focal length make the rest of us envious.

In that regard I would like to issue a challenge to this group. Take one light lens - the 28 2.8 (ai'd) will be my choice - and submit only images taken with that combo until 1st March.

Let's go really retro to the days when we had no interchangeable lenses but made do - and very nicely - with our eyes and what we could do with what was available.

Any takers?

I will take the challenge and use only a 28mm 3.5 nippon kogaku I paid $50 for, with original ai ring.

Except for a theater assigment Saturday night when I will be using the 80-200mm 2.8 ais with the TC 16a converter.

Socalpicman
Total Posts: 156

Lieutenant Z wrote:
georgms wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments on the leaf, the city-harbor-scapes and the moon - really much appreciated.

Used the neat 100/2.8E some more - one shot (a portrait, don't wanna post it) was already printed by a local paper.
Here's a shot with some color from a new surgical suite/OP in my hometown:
"Dr Nikon" - should have used some "Glamour-Glow" or "Hollywood-Skin"-filter ;-)

Love the red shoes. Does that guy use to walk through the blood of his patients?

It's a cleanable shoe popular in Pharmaceutical manufacturing and surgical suites, clean rooms. very popular in Europe and gaining in popularity in the US.

Great shots everyone, almost finished my move and should get some free time in a few weeks to take some pictures.

JD

Socalpicman

saph wrote:
Congratulations Philippe! All the best getting moved and settled in. And of course now look forward to seeing Lyon through your unique photographic style.

Lieutenant Z wrote:
saph wrote:
Moving? I must be missing some pages on this thread.

I have been offered a new job in Lyon.

+1

rafaelcasd

ramkumar999 wrote:
One last photo to wind up Thursday night here in East Coast.
Shooting Strobist info:
D40, ISO 200, 1/1000 (no high speed sync stuff here), Nikkor 85mm f2 AI.
SB26 at 1/16 power handheld at Camera left., white cardboard handheld at camera right as separator.

Profile Photo by ramkumar999, on Flickr

Handsome mug Ram!

Socalpicman

kwoodard wrote:
Got a bit of exciting news. One or two of my images I took of the campus I used to work at will be used and published for the campus catalog as well as online! If it's the shot I am thinking of, it was with one of my MF lenses.

Congrats Kevin!

JD

1       2       3              3460      
       3462              5890       5891       end