Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3443

1       2       3              3443      
       3445              5887       5888       end

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 864

Leighton I agree about the saturation, too much reading KR? Your snow scene looks great in very nice B&W.

Samy Those deer make a peaceful scene. Very unusual look to the patchy one indeed.
-Jay-

Reagan
Total Posts: 4616

Great capture Samy

Reagan

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

Thanks Samy and Jay.

Samy, never seen a partly albino before, very interesting.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Andy, I like the Sydney scenery, especially the first, second and fourth one.

Rafael, superb 8mm fisheye shots!

Jay, the deer seem to be
Georg, thanks, these older ones are indeed a lot of fun to use, although it will take me quite a while to get more comfortable with the vintage equipment. The modern DSLRs have us quite spoiled

BTW, I came across this page today. Must not have much else to do this morning

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nikon-Historical-Society/193619477350338

And also this interview of photographer Steve Schapiro.
http://blog.iamnikon.com/en_GB/tag/nikon-s2-rangefinder/

Very interesting the photos he has taken with Nikon equipment. Only thing I wonder is about the MLK photo at the 1965 Selma march with a 180mm lens on his F4. From the photosynthesis site, I only see the first variant of the 180mm lens showing up about 1970. Wonder if he meant a 200 f4, or a 135 f3.5.

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

One more from last night. I guess it fits the theme, Valentine's Day. 55mm f1.2S

leighton w

saph wrote:

Jay, the deer seem to be
Georg, thanks, these older ones are indeed a lot of fun to use, although it will take me quite a while to get more comfortable with the vintage equipment. The modern DSLRs have us quite spoiled

Very interesting the photos he has taken with Nikon equipment. Only thing I wonder is about the MLK photo at the 1965 Selma march with a 180mm lens on his F4. From the photosynthesis site, I only see the first variant of the 180mm lens showing up about 1970. Wonder if he meant a 200 f4, or a 135 f3.5.

Thanks for the link. He must have been mistaken (getting old) about having his F4 with him shooting MLK. Maybe an F, but certainly not the F4. Doesn't matter, still a good interview.

leighton w

We took a little ride around the neighborhood this morning. Some of the drifts over the roads were taller than my truck! here are a couple with the 50-135.

The Quite Place by Leighton W, on Flickr

This old mill is on the same creek that runs through our property. Only difference is you can jump over it up at our end.

Baylor's Mill by Leighton W, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4678

I use an app simply called Light Meter. Does a good job, though it sometimes struggles when it's too dark. Rest of the time it works quite well.

georgms wrote:
saph wrote:
Talking about things that make one's legs go weak, here's a mix of Nikkors and Nikons, all but one from over half a century ago.

The tiny 5cm 1.4 SC mounted on the Nikon S2, the even narrower 10.5cm f4 T to the right, and the big hulking 13.5cm f3.5 Q mounted on the relatively young Nikon FG in the background.

The S2 and the 5cm 1.4 SC are likely about 1956.

The 10.5cm f4 T and the 13.5cm f3.5 (as well as the weathered 10.5cm f2.5 P which was used to take this picture) are from 1959-1960. The FG is from the 1980s.

NikkorsAndNikons by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Loaded the S2 for the first time, and now need to look for a light meter

Wow, Samy, that's some really beautiful stuff! Regarding a lightmeter: just in case you're a smartphone-user - just talked with a photographer last night who was playing with a smartphone-app for metering. Turned out that it worked very well.
Otherwise a Sekonic Twinmate L-208 makes a neat companion for vintage gear. Dealing with really old, selenium-based meters can be fun, but also frustrating.

ramkumar999
Total Posts: 1282

leighton w wrote:
We took a little ride around the neighborhood this morning. Some of the drifts over the roads were taller than my truck! here are a couple with the 50-135.

Really lovely photos of snow in b/w.. really love the contrast.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Reagan congrats on the "new" camera. Great shots using it too!
Samy terrific photo of classic Nikon gear and your snow is perfectly metered! Love the deer!
Chuong what a great photo. Wonderful! Love the snowy shot!
Andy I love all of your panos but number 3 does it for me!
Rafael the 8mm is a super cool lens - very nice!
Jay I admire your style!
Leighton your "L" lens is really up for the task and your scenes are idyllic especially the barn and the creek - WOW!

Reagan

Haven't tried the lens at f2 yet but very happy and glad I bought it
I just this morning reset the camera and erased copyright info so his name won't appear anymore
This is one of the two blimps yesterday heading north.Probably for Daytona. Speedweeks starts today

Reagan

Thanks again Alan

leighton w

Thanks for the comments Ram and Ray. I'm finding SEP more and more indispensable in B&W processing.

leighton w

Reagan wrote:
Haven't tried the lens at f2 yet but very happy and glad I bought it
I just this morning reset the camera and erased copyright info so his name won't appear anymore
This is one of the two blimps yesterday heading north.Probably for Daytona. Speedweeks starts today

Reagan

Thanks again Alan

Wow Reagan, is this really a 16mm? I don't notice ANY distortion, maybe you fixed it?

Reagan

I never noticed that I had the lens wrong leave it to you guys to call me out
28 f2

Reagan

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

saph wrote:

Jay, the deer seem to be

leighton w wrote:
Thanks for the link. He must have been mistaken (getting old) about having his F4 with him shooting MLK. Maybe an F, but certainly not the F4. Doesn't matter, still a good interview.

Interesting read, thanks for sharing, Samy! He had a large display last year in my hometown. Snapped a picture of him, but don't think the shot even qualifies as "portrait".
I was too shy to start talking with him Amazing variety of photographs at the show, my personal favs were the early B&W-reportage-images.

Steve Schapiro, probably thinking "what the hell is this guy doing?" - D700, 35/1.4Ai at f/2.8

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 1118

Reagan - Yes it was 74 here yesterday and have the photo to prove it. The D700 is "the Chevy truck of cameras."
Samy - The tree shot with the shadow in the foot prints make a fine B&W photo! The piebald deer is kind of rare - its genetic.
Chuong - Good use of the 55mm I like how the road cuts the frame in both shots.
Andy - I like the very last cool looking photo warmed up by the yellow ferry.
Rafael - The red filter is surreal!
Jay - Rain in Tucson! Didn't it snow there this time last year? The 24 PC-E shot is terrific and creative.
Leighton - Your recent shots amaze me! The fence shot and Baylor's Mill capture the cold in B&W.
Georg - Classis photo made better by your quote!

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1941

Jay, love "Synthetic Programming". Yes, I think it's oversturated, but if presented as an "Art" piece, as opposed to just documentation, I think it works just fine!

Leighton, wonderful snow picture. I can't verbalize why I like it so much, but I just do.

Georg, "Steve Schapiro"

leighton w

Thanks guys.

Georg, what a great shot. I bet you wish now that you would have talked with him.

Ken Hill
Total Posts: 1118

Yesterday arrived with no news on the 55mm 1.2SC other than it was 1200 miles away and hadn't moved for four days> Grrrrgh"
So I went to out local shop in Auburndale, had lunch and saw this little gem in the MF case. I had seen it there before and dismissed it since I have the 25-50. I took it out to play on my D700 and Bjorn say's it's sharp and he's right.

The 28-45 as per Braczko's book was the "worlds" first true wide angle zoom. First made in 1975 this lens dates to June 1977. At nearly a pound it's well made and feels very solid, smooth and well made.

At the offering price it was a "no brainer" even after my wife reminded me that I was supposed to be getting a lens (the 55mm) in the mail! Since it was Valentines Day and I had been good ... she drove home while I played.

Ray, I think the shop will look familiar.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1471

Georg, loved Dracula with a smart phone. Portrait or not, I think your image of Steve Schapiro is outstanding.

Jay, very nice fern shot. Great lighting.

Leighton, really like the coop shot. Sounds like those chickens have you trained. Terrific snowy landscapes.

Ken, very nice shot of the flutist's hands.

Ronny, terrific flowers and Nitro shots. Really enjoy the backgrounds in all of your work.

Samy, beautiful snow and ice shots.

Mihai, fascinating story about Ceausescu and his architectural "vision." Really like the look of the old village home photo.

Fons, lovely flowers.

Andy, I like the composition and lighting on the "free barbies" shot. It brought to mind Hopper's "Nighthawks."

Jay, nice one of the icy Heron.

Rafael, very cool 8mm shots.

Reagan, you're a brave man posting those Florida weather pics.

Chuong, really enjoyed the snowy night shots.

Jay, very nice one with the 24PC-E.

1       2       3              3443      
       3445              5887       5888       end