Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3386

1       2       3              3386      
3387
       3388              4172       4173       end

saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 2290
Country: United States

Wish you and your family all the strength to get through this time Kevin.

The prior version of the 50 1.4, SC, was multicoated, so I am presuming the K version would be too.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#50fast



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3341
Country: Germany

kwoodard wrote:
Question for you all. As you know, I have a 50/1.4 K lens... Is there anyway to find out if it is single coated or multi-coated? I have seen references to both and kind of would like to know for sure.

Hope all is well here! I haven't been around much, had a personal tragedy at home which has kept my online time to a minimum lately.


Hi Kevin, I'm very sorry to hear about your family.
While I'm basically looking for an old 135/2.8 I think high shipping-expenses and customs fees would make a deal too complicated. Don't know about the 50/1.4K and it's coatings, but it's fore-runner, the "SC" is multicoated, so I suspect the "K" could be a MC-lens too.
That said, I've shot a couple of portraits with the 50/1.4 SC this monday and got "extraterrestrial" flare ;-) My copy of this lens is really worn and it's coating damaged - cleaning marks all over.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13002
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
saph wrote:
Go for it guys.

Our friend Ray here convinced me with his images to get that 85 1.4. And a 35 1.4

Weasel_Loader wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Weasel_Loader wrote:
leighton w wrote:
the solitaire wrote:
A 135 mm lens is on m shortlist for sure. Not certain yet whether it´s going to be the older 135 f3,5 Q.C Nikkor for F mount, an even older 135 f3,5 Q.C Nikkor for Nikon Rangefinder cameras or the complete opposite of the list of possible lenses, a 135 f2,8 Ai-S.

Built in lens hood is a thing of genius.


Congrats Chin! The 135 is on my shortlist as well. But I think I'm 99 percent sure it will be the f2.


I've been trying to contact someone here that was selling a nice 135/2 AI-s, but he seems to not check for messages. Couldn't find any other deals, so I might go with another lens I've been dreaming about, the 85/1.4 AI-s.

I would love to have the 135 f2 but I never seem to reach for that focal length. I can say that you will never go wrong with the 85mm 1.4. I love mine and it is definately a desert island lens. If you use a TC 14A you will have a 120mm 2.0 So you can get close to two lenses in one
I could be happy with the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 if I had to pare down my kit.


Thanks for the advice. I'm slowly building a nice MF kit. Wanted to get away from auto and slow down my process. MF lenses put a lot more fun into the process for me that I found lacking with the new stuff.




Thank you Samy. And our good friend Curtis convinced me to get them both by letting me try them out for a day! A big thanks to Curtis for the 35mm 1.4 AIS and the 85mm 1.4 AIS, advice that still is going forward!

"Kit Building is Forever"


Nice to know that no one has forgotten what this thread is all about… We shoot with them but to do that we have to buy them… Nice to have friends who offer encouragement.

Still standing on the sideline but check things out from time to time to make certain no one has gotten in trouble with Zeiss lenses… Have fun everyone!



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3341
Country: Germany

Here's one of the portraits with the worn 50/1.4 SC:

a forest worker is selling cut twigs (for Advent decoration/wreaths and the care of graves)
Nikkor SC 50/1.4 with damaged coating, f/1.4-2, Nikon D700



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 4995
Country: United States

We miss you dearly Curtis
After a little nudge from Leighton about my never taking photos of people, I went out today to see the new engine and caboose being "installed" downtown today. I took my 180mm 2.8 AIS to give it a go at some photos of the crowd.









georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3341
Country: Germany

CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
saph wrote:
Go for it guys.

Our friend Ray here convinced me with his images to get that 85 1.4. And a 35 1.4

Weasel_Loader wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Weasel_Loader wrote:
leighton w wrote:
the solitaire wrote:
A 135 mm lens is on m shortlist for sure. Not certain yet whether it´s going to be the older 135 f3,5 Q.C Nikkor for F mount, an even older 135 f3,5 Q.C Nikkor for Nikon Rangefinder cameras or the complete opposite of the list of possible lenses, a 135 f2,8 Ai-S.

Built in lens hood is a thing of genius.


Congrats Chin! The 135 is on my shortlist as well. But I think I'm 99 percent sure it will be the f2.


I've been trying to contact someone here that was selling a nice 135/2 AI-s, but he seems to not check for messages. Couldn't find any other deals, so I might go with another lens I've been dreaming about, the 85/1.4 AI-s.

I would love to have the 135 f2 but I never seem to reach for that focal length. I can say that you will never go wrong with the 85mm 1.4. I love mine and it is definately a desert island lens. If you use a TC 14A you will have a 120mm 2.0 So you can get close to two lenses in one
I could be happy with the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 if I had to pare down my kit.


Thanks for the advice. I'm slowly building a nice MF kit. Wanted to get away from auto and slow down my process. MF lenses put a lot more fun into the process for me that I found lacking with the new stuff.




Thank you Samy. And our good friend Curtis convinced me to get them both by letting me try them out for a day! A big thanks to Curtis for the 35mm 1.4 AIS and the 85mm 1.4 AIS, advice that still is going forward!

"Kit Building is Forever"


... We shoot with them but to do that we have to buy them… ...


Curtis, my grandfather used to say to us kids: "First the nose and then the specs". Your words above seem to follow the same logic… Nice to hear from you!



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 4256
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
A badly executed image from today - shot this one while walking to my parking car.
Two horizontal shots with the PC-E 45/2.8 - one shifted all the way to the left, the next shot shifted to the right. Maybe I re-shoot the old building with the 28/3.5 PC or with an "ordinary wide-angle-lens"…

The extreme corners (when fully shifted) are really soft - this one was shot at f/4. D700
Sorry for the large display, I just can't get the image smaller without ugly artifacts.


Georg, you are too hard on yourself. I like this composition a lot.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 4256
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
Here's one of the portraits with the worn 50/1.4 SC:

a forest worker is selling cut twigs (for Advent decoration/wreaths and the care of graves)
Nikkor SC 50/1.4 with damaged coating, f/1.4-2, Nikon D700


Georg, looks like you can get nicer OOF backgrounds with this on your FX body than I can on my DX body. Still one of my favorite lenses.



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 2821
Country: United States

I may have a way around the shipping issue. I will look into it and see. Where in Germany are you?

The drama is over, the hardest pain is subsiding, but the loss will be a long time in fading. My wife and I miscarried last week and it took three days to remove the fetus from my wife. Very hard times.

georgms wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Question for you all. As you know, I have a 50/1.4 K lens... Is there anyway to find out if it is single coated or multi-coated? I have seen references to both and kind of would like to know for sure.

Hope all is well here! I haven't been around much, had a personal tragedy at home which has kept my online time to a minimum lately.


Hi Kevin, I'm very sorry to hear about your family.
While I'm basically looking for an old 135/2.8 I think high shipping-expenses and customs fees would make a deal too complicated. Don't know about the 50/1.4K and it's coatings, but it's fore-runner, the "SC" is multicoated, so I suspect the "K" could be a MC-lens too.
That said, I've shot a couple of portraits with the 50/1.4 SC this monday and got "extraterrestrial" flare ;-) My copy of this lens is really worn and it's coating damaged - cleaning marks all over.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 4995
Country: United States

mp356 wrote:
georgms wrote:
Here's one of the portraits with the worn 50/1.4 SC:

a forest worker is selling cut twigs (for Advent decoration/wreaths and the care of graves)
Nikkor SC 50/1.4 with damaged coating, f/1.4-2, Nikon D700


Georg, looks like you can get nicer OOF backgrounds with this on your FX body than I can on my DX body. Still one of my favorite lenses.


Scott I was just thinking today that there are a few of my lenses that I much preferred on my D7000 as opposed to the D600. Namely the 16mm 3.5, 24mm 2.8, 105mm 2.5, and the 300mm 4.5. In looking back over my photos these lenses just seem to resolve better on DX. Kinda wish I had kept it!
BTW we haven't seen you use that 18mm 3.5 Lately



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 4995
Country: United States

kwoodard wrote:
I may have a way around the shipping issue. I will look into it and see. Where in Germany are you?

The drama is over, the hardest pain is subsiding, but the loss will be a long time in fading. My wife and I miscarried last week and it took three days to remove the fetus from my wife. Very hard times.

georgms wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Question for you all. As you know, I have a 50/1.4 K lens... Is there anyway to find out if it is single coated or multi-coated? I have seen references to both and kind of would like to know for sure.

Hope all is well here! I haven't been around much, had a personal tragedy at home which has kept my online time to a minimum lately.


Hi Kevin, I'm very sorry to hear about your family.
While I'm basically looking for an old 135/2.8 I think high shipping-expenses and customs fees would make a deal too complicated. Don't know about the 50/1.4K and it's coatings, but it's fore-runner, the "SC" is multicoated, so I suspect the "K" could be a MC-lens too.
That said, I've shot a couple of portraits with the 50/1.4 SC this monday and got "extraterrestrial" flare ;-) My copy of this lens is really worn and it's coating damaged - cleaning marks all over.


I am so sorry to hear that Kevin. I will keep you and her in my prayers.



Mishu01
Registered: Nov 20, 2009
Total Posts: 2363
Country: Romania

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
I may have a way around the shipping issue. I will look into it and see. Where in Germany are you?

The drama is over, the hardest pain is subsiding, but the loss will be a long time in fading. My wife and I miscarried last week and it took three days to remove the fetus from my wife. Very hard times.

georgms wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Question for you all. As you know, I have a 50/1.4 K lens... Is there anyway to find out if it is single coated or multi-coated? I have seen references to both and kind of would like to know for sure.

Hope all is well here! I haven't been around much, had a personal tragedy at home which has kept my online time to a minimum lately.


Hi Kevin, I'm very sorry to hear about your family.
While I'm basically looking for an old 135/2.8 I think high shipping-expenses and customs fees would make a deal too complicated. Don't know about the 50/1.4K and it's coatings, but it's fore-runner, the "SC" is multicoated, so I suspect the "K" could be a MC-lens too.
That said, I've shot a couple of portraits with the 50/1.4 SC this monday and got "extraterrestrial" flare ;-) My copy of this lens is really worn and it's coating damaged - cleaning marks all over.


I am so sorry to hear that Kevin. I will keep you and her in my prayers.


+1 Very sad to hear this.



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 2290
Country: United States

Ray, you found some human beings in Florida finally The middle picture is interesting, the children seem to be enjoying themselves, while their mother is engrossed in her iphone, which is more the unfortunate norm for people nowadays.

Jay, that was a very interesting "tree" house! Can't imagine a water tower getting converted to living quarters, but sure makes for a very neat structure to look at.



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 2290
Country: United States

Speaking of the 35 1.4, this is the N version, pre-AI.

Walters Art Musuem in Baltimore. f/2.8.


WaltersArtMuseum1 by maryland_photos, on Flickr



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 2290
Country: United States

The Washington Memorial and the United Methodist Church next to it. Mount Vernon Square area in Baltimore.

Taken through a window, 55 1.2 S, f/5.6.


WashingtonMemorialUMCChurch by maryland_photos, on Flickr



the solitaire
Registered: Jun 22, 2013
Total Posts: 755
Country: Germany

Kevin, sorry to hear about the loss. I know from experience how much of a loss such an experience can be. I hope you and the wife will find your ways to be there for each other, to support each other and soon see that there is a world of beauty waiting for you still when you get back. My thoughts are with you both.

georgms wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Question for you all. As you know, I have a 50/1.4 K lens... Is there anyway to find out if it is single coated or multi-coated? I have seen references to both and kind of would like to know for sure.

Hope all is well here! I haven't been around much, had a personal tragedy at home which has kept my online time to a minimum lately.


Hi Kevin, I'm very sorry to hear about your family.
While I'm basically looking for an old 135/2.8 I think high shipping-expenses and customs fees would make a deal too complicated. Don't know about the 50/1.4K and it's coatings, but it's fore-runner, the "SC" is multicoated, so I suspect the "K" could be a MC-lens too.
That said, I've shot a couple of portraits with the 50/1.4 SC this monday and got "extraterrestrial" flare ;-) My copy of this lens is really worn and it's coating damaged - cleaning marks all over.


Georg, do you need it for parts? I have a 135 f2,8 Q here that I could send you against shipping cost, but the aperture lever thingy is misaligned (aperture still works when taking the lens apart and moving it manually, I just don´t get the parts lined up without taking out the lens assembly) and the focus helicoid is damaged. Glass is good though, and it has an Ai converted aperture ring.

If you´re looking for a working one Kevin might be able to help out. Shipping for the lens should be about $16 through USPS and tax and duties comes down to 19% on top of what Kevin wants for the lens. Personally I never had much luck with the 135 Q and it is considerably bigger then the f2,8 Ai-S or f3,5 Q.C versions otherwise I would be all over that lens. 135 is about the perfect focal length for dog-in-action shots on a crop sensor



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9173
Country: United States

Kevin, I'm extremely sorry to hear of your loss.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9173
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
We miss you dearly Curtis
After a little nudge from Leighton about my never taking photos of people, I went out today to see the new engine and caboose being "installed" downtown today. I took my 180mm 2.8 AIS to give it a go at some photos of the crowd.















So, there are actually people living in Florida! I like this one the best. Hi Curtis.


MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 4995
Country: United States

Georg that environmental photo is really nice. You nailed the focus on the eyes!
Samy the artwork is lovely and I love the dark feel. This really makes the art shine. The monument is perfectly framed against the church and gives great proportions.
Thank you Leighton and Samy.
Samy I too was a little taken back by the Iphone until I realized that she was chimping a photo that she had just taken of the crane lowering the train engine on the tracks as shown in the photo below




raboof
Registered: Mar 04, 2011
Total Posts: 1466
Country: N/A

Very sorry to hear that Kevin.



1       2       3              3386      
3387
       3388              4172       4173       end