D600 and 300mm 4.5 EDIF

"Do these feathers make my butt look big?"

m.sommers00
Total Posts: 659

mp356 wrote:
m.sommers00 wrote:
philipj wrote:

Feeding the birds by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Really like this one. Is this film or conversion (if conv. what was your process?)

The 28mm 2.8 AIS seems like a popular one around here. Is there much difference optically between the f/2 and f/2.8?

The 28 2.8 AIS is one of my favorites. It works great on my D7000 as a standard focal length, has a very close focusing ability, and is very sharp even wide open. I had a chance to compare it briefly with the f2 version but did not see any big differences. For me the close focusing was the deciding factor.

Appreciate your insight, thank you.

r_o_b_s_o_n
Total Posts: 2402

Here's a few macro's I took on saturday on an organized fungi walk. It was really interesting. I am just starting to get into mushroom picking, but I have some friends who are really into mushrooms... they make beautiful subjects for photos, and if you find the right ones, you can have some tasty snacks!!

The first two were absolutely TINY!! I would guess that the first little mushroom cap was no larger than 1/16th~3/32 of an inch in diameter. just TINY!! I took the shot with my 35mm f1.4 reverse mounted with about 30mm of extension tubes!

the second two mushrooms were a little bit bigger... they may have stood an 1-1 1/4 inch tall.... and maybe 1/8~3/16 of an inch in diameter... it was shot with the 35mm reverse mounted with about 10mm of extension tube...

The third and final one was the coolest little fungi. It's called an earth star, which is a type of puffball which grows up from the ground and once it comes above ground, it the 6 little petals (which aren't at all petals). These guys just look so cool!! they are easily overlooked, and when I brought this one to the curator of the walk, he screamed with excitement! haha. The people you find at mushroom gatherings are almost as interesting as the fungi themselves!! This one was with my micro 55mm f3.5 Ai

philipj
Total Posts: 836

mp356 wrote:
Philip, good to see you posting. Gee, stuck in Switzerland for two years.

I know, somehow we'll survive.

georgms wrote:
Philip, great to hear/read from you again! Hope you and your family will enjoy the years in Suisse. Nice shots from a town that was not built with motorized traffic in mind ;-) Nice seagull-feeding-image - probably a future adventure for your daughter…

Oh, my daughter is going to just *love* the swans that hang around on the Limmat and the Zürichsee. We'll be there to feed them regularly, I imagine.

m.sommers00 wrote:
Really like this one. Is this film or conversion (if conv. what was your process?)

The 28mm 2.8 AIS seems like a popular one around here. Is there much difference optically between the f/2 and f/2.8?

Thanks! It's a digital image (D700), converted to b/w in Aperture. I'm too impatient for film.

The 28mm f/2.8 AI-s is a great lens: small (smaller than the f/2), great colour and contrast, and a wonderful close focus. On DX it was my favourite all-purpose lens, and it continues to be a favourite on FX, though optically there are a few issues that crop up with the bigger sensor. The corners can be pretty bad wide open, and don't sharpen up sensibly until f/11. The slower lens also flares more with bright lights. The f/2 does a better job with corners at all apertures, but focuses slightly less close. I bought an f/2.8 first, then picked up an f/2 out of curiosity, and ended up keeping the f/2.8 because I thought it had a slightly nicer out of focus rendition, and was smaller. You can't go wrong with either lens.

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 422

Leighton Even the plumbing looks cold, nice shot.

Phillip Looking forward to seeing more of Zürich, what an interesting place.

Jose That Nikon shot is certainly nostalgic! I'm surprised we don't see Orient Express tickets.

Samy Interesting flag shots with the curtain of fall leaves. The cat's eyes shot is super. Wonder what is in those goat jars?

Scott Nice Somesville scene.

Raboof That poor bird looks cold.

Georg I really like the processing in these excellent environmental portraits.

Wthiry Great shot!

4mpx Great telephoto shots. I'll bet the bird is loud.

John It is amazing what dynamic range can do. I have rescued some over exposed shots where I find there is actually recoverable detail in the raw file.

Robson Beautiful micros. It hasn't rained here in N California yet so no fall mushrooms are to be found. I'll be looking out for an Earth Star.

Buddy Thanks for the comparison shots. These are very informative.

Ray What a funny bird!

-Jay-

HCE HCE

This is the latest in my experiments with wide open panos, using a D800 and 45mm f/2.8 PC-E.

-Jay-

HCE HCE

Agentbird That long exposure shot of sea rocks is full of mystery, beautifully done.

-Jay-

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 1994

Lovely light on your house shot.

raboof
Total Posts: 1436

Nice shots, Phillip. Looking forward for more from Switzerland.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4892

mp356 wrote:
Not much inspiring right now so these are from the late summer. Taken with the 28 2.8 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

I love this scene Scott - well spotted!

MDoc9523

George this portrait is the BOMB!!! Such perfect timing and I can just picture you holding on to get the shot.

MDoc9523

Samy I really like the cats eyes photo. So sharp!
Chuong your Cardinal looks like he spotted you taking his photo. He really bowed out - Nice catch!
Buddy if I am not mistaken that looks to be a Canon shooter
Philip it's great to see you . Love the B&W's and looking forward to more
Jay I really like the line of the fence.
Nice shots Robson
Leighton It looks dark in there Very nice shadows!!!

raboof
Total Posts: 1436

Thanks, Leighton, Georg, Jay, and Ray for your comments on the bird shot.

Last week with the 25-50mm. I think my monitor at home is too bright. My work monitor makes this image under exposed. I am not sure what to make of my images lately due to the new monitor at home.

HCE HCE

Ian Boys wrote:
Lovely light on your house shot.

Thanks, it was pure luck...
-------------------
I found some fall color, using a 55mm f1.2 on a PK12 tube.
Wide open

this at f/8

-Jay-

georgms
Total Posts: 3298

Ray, your crane-portrait is - just like your caption - a real cracker!

Robson, amazing micro-shots! Did you hand-hold these?

Jay, very nice pano! Did you move the whole camera or just the lens? The 45 PC-E is already one of my favorite MF-Nikkors, I just wish it would come in a smaller package ;-)
PS: Love, love, love the last fall-color-shot! The light and colors are fantastic.

Chuong, very nice candid of your kids at play! The overall brightness of the picture looks good - the faces are a bit dark, but this is not a matter of the monitor.

georgms

WThiry - wow, fantastic capture with your "old glass"!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3474

So cute Chuong!

And Jay, I'm with georg on the last one. Just enough shadows to make the green parts of the leaves pop. Actually, on repeated viewing, the shapes seem to be defined by the shadows themselves, wow.

georgms

Thanks for your comments on the fisheye-portraits, Ray and Jay - really much appreciated!

Here's another portrait, shot today with my old and scratched SC Auto 50/1.4:

start into the carnival-season - not exactly my way to spend spare time ;-)
This lady and many other alarming cheerful revelers were flooding the city hall today...

Zichar

Way past my bedtime, but kinda happy because my brother just flew in for a conference and we met for dinner

He laughed as he remembered trying to take this with his iPhone
Smaller package notwithstanding heh with the 45PCE

squiggles by Zichar, on Flickr

Zichar

Wow what an expression. Nicely caught georg. What genre of music was she singing?

1       2       3              3381      
       3383              4067       4068       end