Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3368

1       2       3              3368      
3369
       3370              3788       3789       end

Zichar
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3308
Country: Singapore

There must be someone I can blame, for I just had my bid accepted for a 135mm f/2.8 AI. Curtis?



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 2374
Country: United States

135/2.8 is my favorite focal length...



Foggy14
Registered: May 01, 2010
Total Posts: 901
Country: United States

Zichar wrote:
There must be someone I can blame, for I just had my bid accepted for a 135mm f/2.8 AI. Curtis?


Chin, but for Curtis, you might have gone Zeiss. So he's actually saved you a boatload of money. That's how I rationalize it anyway.



GeorgeHudetz
Registered: Nov 04, 2013
Total Posts: 8
Country: United States

Hi everyone. New here to FM Ė looks like a great place!

A thread over on another forum got me thinking about manual focus lenses on my D7000, and this thread sealed the deal. So far Iíve picked up a 28mm f2 and a 105mm f2.5, and am looking for a 24 f2.8, a 200 f4 and maybe a 50 and/or a 20.

Anyway, Iím still getting a handle on these lenses, but I love them! As a mechanical gearhead at heart, I just love the design and operation of these lenses when compared to a typical consumer zoom. I totally ďgetĒ how they slow you down and force you to think about the shot. And they are so cheap!

Iíve only got up to page 30 or so of this thread, but there are so many amazing images. Iíve noticed more than a few cat shots, so I thought Iíd throw in a few dog shots. Although Iím a landscape/city shooter at heart, I occasionally bring the D7000 to the dog park to practice my action technique. I decided to bring the 105 f2.5 today, just to see how it would get along. While I had a hard time handling shots where the dog was running straight at me, using zone focusing worked quite well when the action was perpendicular to the direction of the shot. The 105 is so sharp I can crop heavily and get great results.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

The two dark dogs are mine, FWIW. 100% crop.


DSC_1679_DxO_cr_cr by GeorgeHudetz, on Flickr



jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 5205
Country: United States

For those that are interested I've imaged my slides from a climb of Mont Blanc in August of 2000 with my friends Erik, Peter, and Robin. I had these slides scanned for some time with a Nikon CoolScan 5000ED, but didn't like the outcome, so I re-imaged them with my 55/3.5 AIS macro, PB-6 bellows and PS-6 slide holder and D800. The NEF files from the D800 are much easier to deal with than the .tif's from the Nikon scan software.
On the trip I took an F3HP, 20/2.8D, and 50/1.8D and nothing else as I recall. Ah the simple days when I only had 3 lenses (the 80-200/2.8D stayed at home).

The groups and images in them are in chronological order. After the climb we hung in Chamonix for a bit, but then spent a few days in the Pyrennes - those slides are coming soon.

http://hinkey.zenfolio.com/f319289141







kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 2374
Country: United States

Welcome to the addiction George. Glad you found us.

GeorgeHudetz wrote:
Hi everyone. New here to FM Ė looks like a great place!

A thread over on another forum got me thinking about manual focus lenses on my D7000, and this thread sealed the deal. So far Iíve picked up a 28mm f2 and a 105mm f2.5, and am looking for a 24 f2.8, a 200 f4 and maybe a 50 and/or a 20.

Anyway, Iím still getting a handle on these lenses, but I love them! As a mechanical gearhead at heart, I just love the design and operation of these lenses when compared to a typical consumer zoom. I totally ďgetĒ how they slow you down and force you to think about the shot. And they are so cheap!

Iíve only got up to page 30 or so of this thread, but there are so many amazing images. Iíve noticed more than a few cat shots, so I thought Iíd throw in a few dog shots. Although Iím a landscape/city shooter at heart, I occasionally bring the D7000 to the dog park to practice my action technique. I decided to bring the 105 f2.5 today, just to see how it would get along. While I had a hard time handling shots where the dog was running straight at me, using zone focusing worked quite well when the action was perpendicular to the direction of the shot. The 105 is so sharp I can crop heavily and get great results.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

The two dark dogs are mine, FWIW. 100% crop.


DSC_1679_DxO_cr_cr by GeorgeHudetz, on Flickr



Zichar
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3308
Country: Singapore

Wow John, that's a stunner. The image... and having only two lenses brrr



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8567
Country: United States

GeorgeHudetz wrote:
Hi everyone. New here to FM Ė looks like a great place!

A thread over on another forum got me thinking about manual focus lenses on my D7000, and this thread sealed the deal. So far Iíve picked up a 28mm f2 and a 105mm f2.5, and am looking for a 24 f2.8, a 200 f4 and maybe a 50 and/or a 20.

Anyway, Iím still getting a handle on these lenses, but I love them! As a mechanical gearhead at heart, I just love the design and operation of these lenses when compared to a typical consumer zoom. I totally ďgetĒ how they slow you down and force you to think about the shot. And they are so cheap!

Iíve only got up to page 30 or so of this thread, but there are so many amazing images. Iíve noticed more than a few cat shots, so I thought Iíd throw in a few dog shots. Although Iím a landscape/city shooter at heart, I occasionally bring the D7000 to the dog park to practice my action technique. I decided to bring the 105 f2.5 today, just to see how it would get along. While I had a hard time handling shots where the dog was running straight at me, using zone focusing worked quite well when the action was perpendicular to the direction of the shot. The 105 is so sharp I can crop heavily and get great results.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

The two dark dogs are mine, FWIW. 100% crop.


DSC_1679_DxO_cr_cr by GeorgeHudetz, on Flickr


Welcome George! We are honored that your first post was with us. I sometimes take this place for granted as I'm sure some others do as well. It's nice when someone such as yourself comes with great enthusiasm to wake the joint up, thank you. Please don't hesitate sharing your images and join right in on the conversation. We're on a first name basis here, so you'll find folks first names in their profile most of the time.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8567
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
For those that are interested I've imaged my slides from a climb of Mont Blanc in August of 2000 with my friends Erik, Peter, and Robin. I had these slides scanned for some time with a Nikon CoolScan 5000ED, but didn't like the outcome, so I re-imaged them with my 55/3.5 AIS macro, PB-6 bellows and PS-6 slide holder and D800. The NEF files from the D800 are much easier to deal with than the .tif's from the Nikon scan software.
On the trip I took an F3HP, 20/2.8D, and 50/1.8D and nothing else as I recall. Ah the simple days when I only had 3 lenses (the 80-200/2.8D stayed at home).

The groups and images in them are in chronological order. After the climb we hung in Chamonix for a bit, but then spent a few days in the Pyrennes - those slides are coming soon.

http://hinkey.zenfolio.com/f319289141







I had a perusal through your images and they are great. There's nothing like the rich deep blues of high altitude images. What film were you using? You haven't changed a bit!


georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3009
Country: Germany

Hi George, welcome to FM and this thread!
The 105/2.5 is a legendary Nikkor, for sure a favorite among the MF-Nikkor-shooting family here. You will also find some other dog-photographers here - Ronny, Ron ("rankamateur") and Chin ("Zichar") to name just a few.
Happy MF-Nikkor-shooting, Georg!



HCE HCE
Registered: Apr 15, 2012
Total Posts: 340
Country: United States

Jeff Both Mullet photos are great.

Leighton Beautiful sharp pumpkins. I'll have to try stopping down!

John Looks like a great day for the climb.

-Jay-



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3009
Country: Germany

John, had a short look on your climbing-shots and really like those. It looks like it was a truly ambitious tour - wow! I prefer to stay close to the sea and sea-level ;-)

Chin, the Crucian Carp (no barbels like on a "real" carp) was about 37cm long and a beauty - no signs of a pike-attack or other scars. It was a really surprising catch for me - I've caught them in masses as a child, but those were never over 12 or 15cm long. This species is getting rare here, at least larger examples.



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3009
Country: Germany

Mishu01 wrote:
georgms wrote:

Mihai, great to see you chiming in the 55/50-debate! I'm not sure too that the 50/1.2 is the sharpest Nikkor ever made. I remember a posting by Dean that he thinks on his D800e the 50/1.2 Ais and 180/2.8ED are extremely sharp wide open already. And his pictures were very sharp indeed.
At least at medium or great distances and on my 12MP-FX-Nikons I have trouble to get really useful results out of the f/1.2-Nikkor's (never tried the Noct).
Maybe I try to do some comparisons between the fast 50/55's.



Georg, this FL is my favorite... I own at least 10 primes between 45mm and 58mm As a tech junkies as I am I could not resist to not chime in...

If you look at the MTF posted by Mansurov it is exactly what my unscientific tests with this lens shows:

a. not sharp but usable results (when in focus) wide open and at f1.4
b. sharp and very pleasant results at f2 and f2.8, at least in low light event settings (this lens at f2 is my favorite lens for concerts - renders very nice vivid colors of these lights)
c. damn sharp at f4 - f5.6, maybe not at infinity though...

I mention that my lens is purchased new as a late production copy...

BTW I am very jealous on the quality of the pictures you are presenting in this thread...



Mihai, have to try the 50/1.2 stopped down - maybe I can arrange an informal "test" at different apertures. I'm a sucker for "normal" focal lengths too, lately the 55/1.2 and the 45 PC-E are my favs among this range.
Have you ever noticed the curvature-of-field with your 50/1.2? I've found the distant borders are getting all too sharp when shooting at about 1-1.5 meters and with full or slightly stopped down aperture.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8567
Country: United States

HCE HCE wrote:

Leighton Beautiful sharp pumpkins. I'll have to try stopping down!
-Jay-

Thanks Jay!



HCE HCE
Registered: Apr 15, 2012
Total Posts: 340
Country: United States

D800 180 f/2.8 + Polarizer @ f/2.8





-Jay-


leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8567
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
Mishu01 wrote:
georgms wrote:

Mihai, great to see you chiming in the 55/50-debate! I'm not sure too that the 50/1.2 is the sharpest Nikkor ever made. I remember a posting by Dean that he thinks on his D800e the 50/1.2 Ais and 180/2.8ED are extremely sharp wide open already. And his pictures were very sharp indeed.
At least at medium or great distances and on my 12MP-FX-Nikons I have trouble to get really useful results out of the f/1.2-Nikkor's (never tried the Noct).
Maybe I try to do some comparisons between the fast 50/55's.



Georg, this FL is my favorite... I own at least 10 primes between 45mm and 58mm As a tech junkies as I am I could not resist to not chime in...

If you look at the MTF posted by Mansurov it is exactly what my unscientific tests with this lens shows:

a. not sharp but usable results (when in focus) wide open and at f1.4
b. sharp and very pleasant results at f2 and f2.8, at least in low light event settings (this lens at f2 is my favorite lens for concerts - renders very nice vivid colors of these lights)
c. damn sharp at f4 - f5.6, maybe not at infinity though...

I mention that my lens is purchased new as a late production copy...

BTW I am very jealous on the quality of the pictures you are presenting in this thread...



Mihai, have to try the 50/1.2 stopped down - maybe I can arrange an informal "test" at different apertures. I'm a sucker for "normal" focal lengths too, lately the 55/1.2 and the 45 PC-E are my favs among this range.
Have you ever noticed the curvature-of-field with your 50/1.2? I've found the distant borders are getting all too sharp when shooting at about 1-1.5 meters and with full or slightly stopped down aperture.


Georg, I have had a look at all of my shots taken with the 50/1.2, and I just don't notice ANY field curvature. I wonder if it's your copy? Or perhaps it's the type of images I've taken that it doesn't show up.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8567
Country: United States

HCE HCE wrote:
D800 180 f/2.8 + Polarizer @ f/2.8





-Jay-

Great capture Jay! Is that your house? Those pesky critters.


pburke
Registered: Oct 08, 2010
Total Posts: 1627
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
The NEF files from the D800 are much easier to deal with than the .tif's from the Nikon scan software.


John,

what exactly do you mean with the part of dealing with these files? I am in the middle of scanning about 15,000 slildes to TIF, opening in Camera Raw as if they were a NEF file and the result is simply amazing compared to what the same scanner did 13 years ago. Disk space is virtually free these days (just added another external 2TB backup unit for $90), so file size has really no drawback. I decided to keep the master TIFF files of most images, in case there's better software to process them one of these days. I also use a stack feeder, which lets me scan images unattended.

How do you deal with dust, scratches and any other imperfection? Can't run ICE software without the infrared scan layer. I would spend 10 minutes to one hour cleaning up a single image if the software didn't handle that. I stopped scanning black and white negatives, because it is simply mind numbingly impossible to clean up all the scratches and spots and other flaws by hand when scanning something the software can't clean.



HCE HCE
Registered: Apr 15, 2012
Total Posts: 340
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
HCE HCE wrote:
D800 180 f/2.8 + Polarizer @ f/2.8





-Jay-

Great capture Jay! Is that your house? Those pesky critters.

This is a lightkeeper's cottage at our local lighthouse and it makes a good target for lens testing.
There are so many deer you have to watch your step or you will trip over them.
-Jay-


Zichar
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3308
Country: Singapore

Ugh that reminds me I really need to take a photo of my dog
Maybe this weekend
My wife dyed the dog's ears orange three weeks ago, so I told her I'd get a photo of that
But now that the color's fading, she's giving me the eye



1       2       3              3368      
3369
       3370              3788       3789       end