/forum/topic/929565/3351

1       2       3              3351      
       3353              4264       4265       end

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5101

Thanks tom

MitchSC
Total Posts: 592

Thanks for the welcome. Look forward to learning more about using MF lens with todays cameras.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4737

Do NOT go to China during the holidays, unless you REALLY like people.

Kodak Porta 400 w/50mm f/1.2 ais lens.

georgms
Total Posts: 3424

Tom, wow, quite a crowd you were in or part of ;-) I like the colors of this shot, maybe I should get some C41-chemistry and shoot a roll or two...

Mitch, welcome and congrats to your fantastic deal!

Ray, wonderful set! My favs are #1 and #2 too, the light works great on those shots.

Leighton, I always liked your work with the 180/2.8 ED at the famers market, but after your apples-trip I would love to see a set with the 28/2.8 Ais too. Another round for the guessing game ("which lens will Leighton use this saturday?")....

Thanks for the comments on the ship-shot, much appreciated! I prefer to shoot sailing vessels under sails, but can't do that on a regular basis, as most larger sailing ships will enter the harbour under diesel-power.
Will try to get some more and better done comparison-shots with the PC-lenses if weather and time allow.

saph
Total Posts: 2320

Georg, very nicely done test, even if its not on a tripod.

That is very interesting, so even though mechanically the D7000 (and I presume this is going to be true for any DX camera) is fine with the 28 PC, but effectively if the shifted image is so weak, that answers Scott's question.

The difference is huge on a D7000, and I have never seen that phenomenon of the frame looking so blurry in the viewfinder. My only complaint on the D800 about the quality of the 28PC image upon shifting is that the extreme edge (at least the top one) is very soft, and if the subject is not in the same plane, the edge also has weird distortion. If one can frame the image such that the upper edge is not relevant, the results are great and the lens can be fun to use.

georgms wrote:
A quick and dirty done check of the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 on a D7000. I prefer to use FX-bodies for the use of MF-Nikkors, so this was a very first meeting of the D7k and the PC28 ;-)
No mechanical problems to report, I can use full shift in every direction with the D7000. The 28PC has click-stops every 30 degrees, so it's possible to move/rotate the lens in a diagonal direction too.
At about half shift the D7000's finder gets blurry and it's completely blurred at full shift. Using Live-View is the way to go, maybe with a tablet-PC or laptop hooked up for a really large display.
For this quick check I've used an aperture of f/11 and still got no really sharp borders. But for downsized stuff like internet-presentations or newspaper-reproduction the quality is okay.
Anyway, the difference between unshifted lens (left) and full shift upwards (right) is quite dramatic:

a quick and dirty comparison von georgsfoto auf Flickr

edit: I did this check handheld while waiting, corrected the perspective slightly on the shifted shot, a proper test should be done from a sturdy tripod and with a lot more time.

saph
Total Posts: 2320

Tom, that last crowd shot is so well taken, and with film too! I never seem to get a good crowd image.

Ray (FL), nice set, I especially like the first one with the flowering vine and the neat background.

Mitch, nice starting manual Nikon kit. That $75 for the three of those superb lenses is one of the best deals I have heard of. Look forward to seeing your manual photos and I need to look at the green dot differently

Georg, it would be interesting to see if that drop in IQ on the D7000 is restricted to the older 28 PC or does that show up on the newer PC lenses also that you have.

georgms

Thanks, Samy. Here's another result of this quick and dirty "test", both images taken with the D7000 (I've shot JPEG and RAW, these crops are from the JPEG-files). At left is a crop from an un-shifted image, camera tilted (typical keystone-effect), at the right side is the crop from the fully shifted PC 28/3.5 (camera leveled, not tilted). I was surprised by the amount of "stretching". Nikon's in most cases well working lateral-CA-correction for JPEG-files couldn't handle the CA's on the shifted shot.

Important note: Sample variation can be a huge factor especially when comparing or checking old, used lenses - I just have and use this single copy of the PC 28/3.5, maybe other copies are better or worse.

deang001
Total Posts: 1541

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here's a few today using the 180mm 2.8 ED from my favorite garden, University of Florida Teaching Garden:

Terrific shot, ray.

georgms

saph wrote:

Georg, it would be interesting to see if that drop in IQ on the D7000 is restricted to the older 28 PC or does that show up on the newer PC lenses also that you have.

Samy, if time and weather allow I will do further checks. I prefer the D700 and D3s over the D7000 for most shots and almost never use MF-Nikkors on the D7k. But I'm pretty sure that the PC 85/2.8D and the PC-E 45/2.8 are much better performers than the old and compact PC 28/3.5 on DX-bodies.
Well performing wide-angle-shift-lenses are optical wonders for me - as they are basically ultrawide medium-format-lenses. Canon's 17 TS-E is nothing short of amazing. I know this is not the right place for Canon-admiration, but hats off to Canon's engineers at least for creating such an extreme lens.

rattymouse

georgms wrote:
Tom, wow, quite a crowd you were in or part of ;-) I like the colors of this shot, maybe I should get some C41-chemistry and shoot a roll or two...

This is a pretty low quality scan. I'm sure it can be done much better. For whatever reason, the lab I use does not do a great job on C-41 scans, especially of night shots. E-6 is another great color option and one I'd urge you to try before it disappears. There is NOTHING like a beautifully exposed piece of slide film. Incredible colors. Shoot some Provia 400 as it will disappear soon.

rattymouse

saph wrote:
Tom, that last crowd shot is so well taken, and with film too! I never seem to get a good crowd image.

Come to China. You can practice every day here. Almost everywhere has crowds of people!

georgms

rattymouse wrote:
georgms wrote:

This is a pretty low quality scan. I'm sure it can be done much better. For whatever reason, the lab I use does not do a great job on C-41 scans, especially of night shots. E-6 is another great color option and one I'd urge you to try before it disappears. There is NOTHING like a beautifully exposed piece of slide film. Incredible colors. Shoot some Provia 400 as it will disappear soon.

Tom, I've seen much better scans from negatives for sure, but this image reminded me of the time when I still shot C41-films and operated a scanner for some hours every day. Maybe I'm just sentimental when it comes to film, as I like grain and other "imperfections". Low-ISO-shots out of modern digital cameras are too plasticky for my taste, very sharp, but lacking character somehow.
Shooting chromes/slides was never my thing for unknown reasons.

georgms

Another shot with the D7000/PC 28-combo. This one is pretty sharp, even on the antennas.
I don't recall the F-stop or the amount of shift, could have been f/8 or f/11 and a medium amount of shift.

harbour-tugs waiting for the sailing vessel

mp356
Total Posts: 4304

leighton w wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
A quick one tonight with the 400/5.6 and D800. Super heavy crop, no real post processing.
Very very foggy here in Seattle, but fortunately for me I live 360 ft. above sea level which tonight is just above the fog.

I'll try for some more shots like this tomorrow night.

- John

Worthy of another look. I think this is the best one so far!

+1 John. Terrific catch.

mp356

leighton w wrote:
georgms wrote:

Leighton, I have a ton of 28mm-lenses, but never tried the 28/2.8 Ais ;-) A 28/2Ai (or an Ai'd 28/2 N) was my go-to-lens after I moved to FX for newspaper-stuff. The fairly new 28/1.8 AF-S is excellent, but pretty large. So, who knows, if I should stumble over a nice Ais... ;-)

I think you NEED a 28/2.8 AIS It's a killer lens and I KNOW you could use it well.

Georg, Georg, you definitely need to try a 28 2.8 ais. Sharpest lens in my kit.

mp356

georgms wrote:
A quick and dirty done check of the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 on a D7000. I prefer to use FX-bodies for the use of MF-Nikkors, so this was a very first meeting of the D7k and the PC28 ;-)
No mechanical problems to report, I can use full shift in every direction with the D7000. The 28PC has click-stops every 30 degrees, so it's possible to move/rotate the lens in a diagonal direction too.
At about half shift the D7000's finder gets blurry and it's completely blurred at full shift. Using Live-View is the way to go, maybe with a tablet-PC or laptop hooked up for a really large display.
For this quick check I've used an aperture of f/11 and still got no really sharp borders. But for downsized stuff like internet-presentations or newspaper-reproduction the quality is okay.
Anyway, the difference between unshifted lens (left) and full shift upwards (right) is quite dramatic:

a quick and dirty comparison von georgsfoto auf Flickr

edit: I did this check handheld while waiting, corrected the perspective slightly on the shifted shot, a proper test should be done from a sturdy tripod and with a lot more time.

Georg, thank you for posting this comparison. Either the 28 or 35 PC would be a nice lens on the soon to be released retro body.

mp356

georgms wrote:
... and here is a shot I took shortly after the stuff above, the PC 28/3.5 was used on a D700 this time:

PC 28/3.5 at about f/11, full or close to full shift upwards, had to correct the perspective on post a bit - it's really hard to level all things handheld ;-(

Very nice Georg. Did you use the D7000 for this? Nice conversion.

mp356

leighton w wrote:
Zichar wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Chin - We get a whole bunch of apples and keep them in a cooler to enjoy all Winter. No one at the market grows the kind we're looking for. As far as "city apples" this place is WAY out in the country!

Ahh, I didn't know they'd keep so long. May I know what kind of apples you're looking for?

Once upon a time, I was a fruit aficionado, memorising PLU codes and seasons (like how the autumn royal grapes are incredibly sweet because it's the tail end), trying the lesser-seen ones if I could my hands on them (and also waiting until they go on discount, snagged rainier cherries recently because I think the store couldn't sell them fast enough so prices were slashed on them)

Though speaking of apples, I stumbled upon the apple Envy, a NZ cultivar. One of the best I'd say, reviews say they don't turn brown after being cut for up to 8 hrs. Didn't last that long in my lunch box...

Chin, if they're kept cool enough they will last for months. We have a 6' x 8' walk-in cooler that we keep a bunch of stuff in including the apples. We went after Fuji's, Golden Delicious, Gala's, Rome's and Stayman's. This particular Orchard has about 20 different varieties.

I've never heard of Envy, but it sounds interesting.

Around here Cortland and Macintosh are very popular. The Cortland's store well where as the Mac's get a bit rubbery after a while.

rattymouse

georgms wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
georgms wrote:

Tom, I've seen much better scans from negatives for sure, but this image reminded me of the time when I still shot C41-films and operated a scanner for some hours every day. Maybe I'm just sentimental when it comes to film, as I like grain and other "imperfections". Low-ISO-shots out of modern digital cameras are too plasticky for my taste, very sharp, but lacking character somehow.
Shooting chromes/slides was never my thing for unknown reasons.

I dont mind grain at all. In my shot above there are some weird green dots in the shadows, which are not from grain. Must be some kind of scanning artifact. I've never seen it except on C41 scans. Puts me off C41 for the most part. I never see it in E6 slides.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5994

mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
A quick one tonight with the 400/5.6 and D800. Super heavy crop, no real post processing.
Very very foggy here in Seattle, but fortunately for me I live 360 ft. above sea level which tonight is just above the fog.

I'll try for some more shots like this tomorrow night.

- John

Worthy of another look. I think this is the best one so far!

+1 John. Terrific catch.

Thanks Scott & Leighton (and anyone else I've missed commenting on this image).
No moon shots tonight - the fog is too high at my place and won't clear out until Sunday so they say.

- John

1       2       3              3351      
       3353              4264       4265       end