3348              5888       5889       end

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 864

Thanks Leighton!

Fence Post

D800 85mm f/1.4 wide open

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Leighton I'll bet you are glad that you kept your 50mm 1.2 it really shines!
Jay great shots especially the 85mm 1.4
BTW did you get your 45PC-E fixed?

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 864

I just received my 24mm PC-E back from repair. I had the tilt rotated 90 deg. while it was in the shop so it will behave differently.
I wonder how a long focal length PC lens would handle? I suppose you would use the focal plane control to advantage but wouldn't get as much perspective control as you would with shorter focal lengths.

Here's another wide open 85mm. I have to really work at getting used to this focal length!

-Jay-

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

Thanks everyone.
Scott: I remember reading a paper on wealth distribution in the prefectures in relation to their distance from Tokyo.
Kyushu and Okinawa at the far end south have some of the poorest prefectures.
The train was built to attract tourists, local and more so foreign. If you’re a visitor from abroad, you actually have priority in booking the seats.
In a rare move, the company also invited foreign media to cover the opening and maiden voyage (or so I gathered from the numerous English travel and business portal articles online).

Zichar

Leighton: That’s really cool, thanks for sharing especially since it reminded me of stories my dad used to tell me.
I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned this but my dad got retrenched in the late 90s Asian financial crisis.
He was in the same bank since he was 18, and I guess it meant a lot for him – the routine, the camaraderie, the sense of purpose, providing for the family

It was odd adjusting to him being at home days, and he was always restless, unsure of what to do
Ended up mostly sleeping and reading, an entirely unhealthy habit to be on; he became a shadow of the man he used to be, less confident and recluse
He was ‘saved’ by an old bank client, who bought up tracts of land at the nearby limestone hills and decided to start a farm, gathering up old friends who were willing to help

Think millionaire retiree astride a horse with shotgun on the saddle (for monkeys, squirrels and monitor lizards), wearing a stetson, dogs by his side, and the ubiquitous silver flask of whisky (!) - I think he’d fancy himself a modern day cowboy.
He’d grow anything you’d suggest him to, rear whatever he fancies, learning from books or advice from the local agriculture and livestock council.

Sheep were a favorite (huge demand during the Muslim celebrations) and my dad would tell me of hours spent climbing the mountains to look for that odd one who missed morning roll call. Not particularly bright they are, going all the way up and then not knowing how to come down again, legs trapped in goodness knows what crevice.

He’d tell us at the dinner table of helping birth the young; I can almost remember his laughter and his eyes growing large, when he remarked, ‘I couldn’t imagine the legs of that creature within the womb when they came out!’ His friend reading off the book with a torchlight, him with his hands dirty.
He put in a lot of effort there, came home sweaty and dirty in the evening but he loved every minute of it

Zichar

Merging the two - doors and trains!

retrochanics by Zichar, on Flickr

Weasel_Loader
Total Posts: 1275

leighton w wrote:
One last image of the train depot. For now!

Staunton Depot/50-135/3.5 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Leighton- Lovely shot and made an excellent B&W conversion. Love it!!!

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

MDoc9523 wrote:

Yes, and thanks! Now it's your turn.

leighton w

Zichar wrote:
Leighton: That’s really cool, thanks for sharing especially since it reminded me of stories my dad used to tell me.
I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned this but my dad got retrenched in the late 90s Asian financial crisis.
He was in the same bank since he was 18, and I guess it meant a lot for him – the routine, the camaraderie, the sense of purpose, providing for the family

It was odd adjusting to him being at home days, and he was always restless, unsure of what to do
Ended up mostly sleeping and reading, an entirely unhealthy habit to be on; he became a shadow of the man he used to be, less confident and recluse
He was ‘saved’ by an old bank client, who bought up tracts of land at the nearby limestone hills and decided to start a farm, gathering up old friends who were willing to help

Think millionaire retiree astride a horse with shotgun on the saddle (for monkeys, squirrels and monitor lizards), wearing a stetson, dogs by his side, and the ubiquitous silver flask of whisky (!) - I think he’d fancy himself a modern day cowboy.
He’d grow anything you’d suggest him to, rear whatever he fancies, learning from books or advice from the local agriculture and livestock council.

Sheep were a favorite (huge demand during the Muslim celebrations) and my dad would tell me of hours spent climbing the mountains to look for that odd one who missed morning roll call. Not particularly bright they are, going all the way up and then not knowing how to come down again, legs trapped in goodness knows what crevice.

He’d tell us at the dinner table of helping birth the young; I can almost remember his laughter and his eyes growing large, when he remarked, ‘I couldn’t imagine the legs of that creature within the womb when they came out!’ His friend reading off the book with a torchlight, him with his hands dirty.
He put in a lot of effort there, came home sweaty and dirty in the evening but he loved every minute of it

Thank you Chin. That's a great story, I'd love to meet your father. I assume he farmed in Singapore? I would have thought it'd be too hot a climate for sheep.

This is one of the reasons I love this thread, to share stories like this without anyone getting upset that it's "off topic"! I hope all that post on here will feel the same and share anytime that something is on their heart.

Zichar

Oh boy, reading that text again, I realised it may seem like my dad's the millionaire cowboy lol far from it
The owner was, and fond of his whisky too; there were two more guys but that's all - 4 men on the farm

And heh not with land so limited and expensive here in Singapore. It's up north in my hometown of Ipoh, Malaysia. Right between two large limestone hills. A couple of times, temple folks (Hindu and Buddhist/Taoist would come by asking if they could lease the caves to build a shrine). I'll see if I can get a photo of the place when I'm there end Jan.

I know they tried plating pomeloes, papayas, mangoes, durian
The sheep are from Australia, meat sheep. The wool never grew on them, looked kinda shaggy lol
He once said that with experience one can tell how the males are only posturing, which ones are mean, whether they mean business, etc

Anyway, and I guess this happens the world over, after years of rebuffing private developers wanting the land for houses and such, he was powerless as the government decided to take everything back to build a highway. Figures. It was after all the only way through those mountains.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Andy, very cool macro-shots! Personal fav is the Jumping Spider.

Larry, nice cat-portrait with the legendary 105/2.5!

Leighton, I like your stable-series a lot. Switched over to your (or Barbara's) blog - a good read too.

Chin, interesting and very cool story about your father! That's quite a change he (and his family) went through… The "retrochanics"-shot is great: is that wood surrounding the window (the grain looks uncommon)?

Jay, "#555" looks like a cozy oldfashioned home, nicely captured. I like the kinda abstract second shot with the 85/1.4.

Zichar

Thanks georg. I don't think it's wood. Some laminate of sorts I assume

saph
Total Posts: 3699

+1 Georg on the photo and Leighton on the bumper sticker!

leighton w wrote:
georgms wrote:
Thanks, Leighton!
While burning some gas in my neighborhood I came across this view. It's a typical landscape over here, much less mountainous than your hood. Most of the small farms are no real farms anymore, more like a mixture between family homes and small business buildings.

The light was kinda special this afternoon - D700, PC 85/2.8D

Too bad about the farms. I have a bumper sticker on my vehicle that says "No Farms No Food". I think that about says it all.

georgms

Thinking about the right location to shoot the fireworks (no "official" firework-display tonight, just the incredible amount of small rocket's launched by the local folks).
Going through my memory and checking out the archive to find a nice view. Right now this are my personal favorites among the possible locations:

The theatre in this building (please note the funny roof-extension to hold the rigging loft) will close it's doors with tonights last performance.
This was shot with a tilted PC 85/2.8D, would have to shoot a wider lens tonight.
Behind of this building is the city-harbor, a typical stomping ground for the rocket-launchers…

A view across the local river, took this summer 2010 with one of my 105/2.5's - subject was the bike path back then.
Would probably use the PC 85/2.8 tonight and move a little closer to the river, maybe using a bit of up-shift to catch more of the fireworks.
Drawback of this location could be too many folks in front of the camera, possibly beclouding the view by firing of too many rockets and crackers…

Anyway, shooting fireworks is never completely predictable; I just hope I can manage to get a nice shot tonight ;-)

leighton w

Zichar wrote:
Oh boy, reading that text again, I realised it may seem like my dad's the millionaire cowboy lol far from it
The owner was, and fond of his whisky too; there were two more guys but that's all - 4 men on the farm

And heh not with land so limited and expensive here in Singapore. It's up north in my hometown of Ipoh, Malaysia. Right between two large limestone hills. A couple of times, temple folks (Hindu and Buddhist/Taoist would come by asking if they could lease the caves to build a shrine). I'll see if I can get a photo of the place when I'm there end Jan.

I know they tried plating pomeloes, papayas, mangoes, durian
The sheep are from Australia, meat sheep. The wool never grew on them, looked kinda shaggy lol
He once said that with experience one can tell how the males are only posturing, which ones are mean, whether they mean business, etc

Anyway, and I guess this happens the world over, after years of rebuffing private developers wanting the land for houses and such, he was powerless as the government decided to take everything back to build a highway. Figures. It was after all the only way through those mountains.

No worries, I didn't read it that way. I just looked up Ipoh in Google Earth, very mountainous looking, perfect for sheep. The Australian breed is probably a hair sheep. They don't grow wool and shed their "hair" so they don't need to be shorn. I'd still like to see some pics though.

leighton w

Thanks Georg and Samy.

Georg, I love the first one, really 3D looking. Why are they closing?

georgms

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Georg and Samy.

Georg, I love the first one, really 3D looking. Why are they closing?

Thanks, Leighton! They are closing this stage for financial reasons. Municipal- or state-operated theaters are recipients of high subsidies here.
In some cases (not in my town, to my knowledge) a single ticket will grant-aided with way over 100 Euros. *
Closing this stage was part of a deal to maintain other stages.

*) not directly, just setting off total subsidies against the amount of sold tickets.

MDoc9523

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Well I would have to try really hard to come close to that one Leighton

MDoc9523

Great shots Georg. I can't wait to see fireworks over those locations!!!

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Well I would have to try really hard to come close to that one Leighton

I mean't it's time for you to get the 50/1.2.

1       2       3              3346      
       3348              5888       5889       end