Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3314

1       2       3              3314      
       3316              4309       4310       end

saph
Total Posts: 2350

There's a few, like the 500 F4 P, the 45 2.8 P and the crazy one linked below, that are manual focus but had the CPU.

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/12001700mm.htm

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
dpbingham wrote:
Ok dumb question. I have the 180mm on my D600. I entered the lens in non CPU data. I set Max aperture as 2.8. Now, when in aperture mode, I cannot switch out of f/2.8. Do I have to shoot in manual? What am I doing wrong?

are you trying to set the aperture via the camera controls or the aperture ring?

with any manual focus lens (except for the 24/45/85 PC lenses?) you have to set the aperture via the ring on the lens...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9458

I just purchased the Nik software bundle for $126.00 using this coupon code "HDRsoftware15" if anyone's interested. It seems like a great deal considering what it used to cost.

georgms
Total Posts: 3460

Geoff, love the whole set! Great and highly inspiring work with the 35/1.4 and the 20/2.8!

Dan welcome! your first shot with the 180/2.8 looks promising, can't wait to see more

Ray and Ray - thanks for your kind words, I'm really glad you guys like the stuff from yesterday ;-)

the solitaire
Total Posts: 800

Samy, thank you for making an effort to compare those 105mm lenses. Itīs amazing to see the subtle differences, even at one and the same aperture.

I really like how the old 10.5cm f4 lens renders the out of focus detail. It really does a great job of subtly smoothing everything out. It would be very interesting to see how that lens does when taking pictures of fish in a tank with wireless strobes. The later 105 f2.5 P.C surprised me in that respect in that it gives better sharpness and more pleasing color rendition then the latest AF-S 105 f2.8 VR.

Dan, looking forward to see more magnificent images from the D600 with a 180mm lens taped to the mount. Which version of the 180 did you win?

Ray, those are some awesome butterfly shots. The are pin sharp and the compostition isnīt half bad either Looking forward to more of these

Mark, that 2nd night shot with the 180mm lens is just about perfect. I like the wide range of colors

I just got back from the customs office.

Picked this up from ebay a little while ago.

It doesnīt have the factor Ai conversion kit but the original aperture ring shows a finely machined surface on cutout needed for the Ai conversion. It moves through all the stops nicely with crisp clicks. Looks like a job well done.

The focus ring has no play watsoever but runs a bit dry. Not too much resistance but I might have it lubed just the same.

The exterior is in somewhat rough shape but the glass is like new. It looks like someone recently cleaned it. Will go out now to make some test pictures with the lens to see how it behaves.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4039

Chin - great series, love "walled in"

Ray - nice butterflies

Petrolheads - like the car shots (petrol = gasoline in SA)

Good to see a D300 here - why wasn't it more popular?

the solitaire
Total Posts: 800

Iīm quite sure it will be the small viewfinder Peter.

There is a lot to like about the camera though. Itīs built tough and can take quite a beating which is a good thing because for me this camera is a real workhorse and travels with me wherever I go.

It has quite fast AF, a really usable buffer size and processes 12 bit RAW at a high rate. All of that and the reliable light metering make this the best available crop sensor camera available at the time for me.

For manual focus I ordered a split thingy focus screen which should be here in a few days from now.

molson
Total Posts: 10773

I added a really clean AIS 200mm f4 to my collection yesterday, so I thought it was time for a new "family photo"...

Left to right - 16mm f3.5 AI, 20mm f3.5 AI, 28mm f3.5 AI, 50mm f1.8 AIS, 55mm f3.5 AI, 135mm f3.5 AI, 75-150mm f3.5 Series E, 200mm f4 AIS, and 300mm f4.5 ED-IF AIS

pburke
Total Posts: 2125

Oosty wrote:

Good to see a D300 here - why wasn't it more popular?

because everyone was already waiting for the D400 then

Zichar
Total Posts: 3553

Thanks everyone, I'm running out of photos to process though re: unprolific me
Gotta ration them out
I must say that as a clean freak, I can't see myself participating in a cyclocross anytime soon... hehe
Beautiful series though

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2481

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 510

D3 55mm f/1.2
A $50 find, this has good glass but looks like a war correspondent's.
Someone had butchered an AI attempt but I fixed it with a paperclip.
This shares the 50mm f1.2 quirk of having radically different personalities as you start to stop them down.
-Jay-

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Ray wetlands make very interesting photos. The colors are great.
Buddy congrats on the new lens, it looks like a beauty
Molson that's a really nice set of lenses. Don't they look wonderful all lined up
Ronny wonderful shots with the 135mm, expertly done!
Jay I love the symmetry of your photo and the reds are outstanding. I had a 105 that someone had done a butchers job on the aperture ring. I waited patiently on Ebay until a 105 with fungus became available on the cheap and bought it for the ring. I doubt that another 55 1.2 will ever come for that cheap again
Thanks to everyone for the comments on my butterflies

pburke
Total Posts: 2125

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson

Ronny, this one is just perfect. I have to get back to my tubes again, and I guess the camera itself. Lately I have my head wrapped around my slide scanner, so nothing new for here in a while. Haven't touched my camera since the fisheye fail.

I did buy a bunch of studio light gear shopping on ebay lately - getting ready for those winter-shut-in photo shoots.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1475

Last of the San Luis Rey 15mm, heavy post, just for fun.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission san luis rey museum by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission san luis rey museum 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission san luis rey garden gate by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 mission san luis rey yield to your destiny by Rafael CA, on Flickr

saph

Ray, here's some early fall colors. All three with the 28 f2 N.

Fall's at the end of the tunnel..

Or just down the road?

And finally, fall tours, courtesty of Farmer Stan:

saph

Robson, very impressive work with the Cyclocross images using the 35 1.4 AIS! The last two action shots are stellar.

Dan, the 180 is a superb lens, look forward to seeing more of its results.

Ray, I like the image composition and colors of the Great Black Swamp.

Buddy, beautiful acquisition. My 55 1.2 S is about the same shape, and has terrific results. You are correct about the older 105s, anything that Nikon has put out in that focal length from early on has been great.

Molson, love the growing family, immaculate lineup! You could put up a donation link for your "growing family" just like Ken Rockwell does. j/k

Ronny, superb as always!!

Jay, terrific find at that price for the 55 1.2!

Rafael, the last two are the best of the set with the 15mm.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13177

leighton w wrote:
I just purchased the Nik software bundle for $126.00 using this coupon code "HDRsoftware15" if anyone's interested. It seems like a great deal considering what it used to cost.

It's about time Leighton... I guess with so many of us posting BW photos processed with this excellent suite you could only resist so long. Well done and thanks Google for making this excellent software available at a price we can afford. I'll be waiting for your market shots converted with Silver Efex Pro 2.

CGrindahl

molson wrote:
I added a really clean AIS 200mm f4 to my collection yesterday, so I thought it was time for a new "family photo"...

Left to right - 16mm f3.5 AI, 20mm f3.5 AI, 28mm f3.5 AI, 50mm f1.8 AIS, 55mm f3.5 AI, 135mm f3.5 AI, 75-150mm f3.5 Series E, 200mm f4 AIS, and 300mm f4.5 ED-IF AIS

Yes! That's what we like to see Cliff. Wonderful collection of very sweet looking glass. We can never have too many photos of gear...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9458

What's for lunch Mr. Grindahl?

CGrindahl

the solitaire wrote:

Picked this up from ebay a little while ago.

It doesnīt have the factor Ai conversion kit but the original aperture ring shows a finely machined surface on cutout needed for the Ai conversion. It moves through all the stops nicely with crisp clicks. Looks like a job well done.

The focus ring has no play watsoever but runs a bit dry. Not too much resistance but I might have it lubed just the same.

The exterior is in somewhat rough shape but the glass is like new. It looks like someone recently cleaned it. Will go out now to make some test pictures with the lens to see how it behaves.

Congratulations on the 55 Buddy. It remains one of my favorite lenses. Alas we live in a world in which AI conversions of pre-AI glass is the rule since there are no more conversion kits available, at least not at the places we've discovered. But as Jose and others have demonstrated, it is still possible to treat these great lenses with respect when making such conversions. The S.C. is simply a beautiful lens. Have fun with it.

1       2       3              3314      
       3316              4309       4310       end