mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
dpbingham wrote:
leighton w wrote:
dpbingham wrote:
I'm excited to see the post of the butterflies. I now have a D600, and just won a 180mm on eBay. I'm excited to see how this combo works together. Great stuff!

Looking forward to seeing your work. The D600 and 180 are a great combo! Congrats.

Leighton - quick q. When you attach an older, MF lens like the 180mm, I assume I enter the lens into the non-CPU settings... do I have to tell the camera that I'm using that lens every time I attach it? Any other tips? I just got the lens today and will try it after work.

-Dan

Yes, you need to select whichever non-CPU lens you are using each time you attach it (unless you only have one lens...set it once and forget it).

Dan, on the D600 I have the function button set so it takes me directly to the non-cpu library where I have all my lenses set up. All I have to do is push the button and scroll through the menu using the command wheel, very convenient.

Wonder if I can do that with my D7000? Would make it so much more convenient.

Yes you can.

Leighton, you are such an enabler! I will have to try that on my D7000.

The question is, how do you do it? I was looking through the manual and I am feeling stupid.

Kevin, check out page 230 of your manual.

Project for the weekend.

I have my fn button assigned to the electronic level. It is handy. It would be nice to be able to use it for the lens data as well but it can be assigned to only one thing.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2802

mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
dpbingham wrote:
leighton w wrote:
dpbingham wrote:
I'm excited to see the post of the butterflies. I now have a D600, and just won a 180mm on eBay. I'm excited to see how this combo works together. Great stuff!

Looking forward to seeing your work. The D600 and 180 are a great combo! Congrats.

Leighton - quick q. When you attach an older, MF lens like the 180mm, I assume I enter the lens into the non-CPU settings... do I have to tell the camera that I'm using that lens every time I attach it? Any other tips? I just got the lens today and will try it after work.

-Dan

Yes, you need to select whichever non-CPU lens you are using each time you attach it (unless you only have one lens...set it once and forget it).

Dan, on the D600 I have the function button set so it takes me directly to the non-cpu library where I have all my lenses set up. All I have to do is push the button and scroll through the menu using the command wheel, very convenient.

Yes you can.

The question is, how do you do it? I was looking through the manual and I am feeling stupid.

Project for the weekend.

I have my fn button assigned to the electronic level. It is handy. It would be nice to be able to use it for the lens data as well but it can be assigned to only one thing.

Is this the level that displays on the LCD? By default I think if you press the INFO button it displays. I wish there was a level in the viewfinder, I hate cropping crooked pictures.

r_o_b_s_o_n
Total Posts: 2416

A few more with my D700 & 35mm F1.4 Ai-s... I find 35mm to be such a comfortable focal length to shoot.... I love this lens! These were shot on sunday at the my first cyclocross race of the season. Cyclocross is essentially racing road bikes, off road with a knobby tire... through mud, and over barriers which force you to have to dismount at speed and run over the barriers and remount the bike again... it's a very tough sport as it keeps you at the redline for 45min-1hr, with few opportunities to recover... the best part about cyclocross is that beer is as much a part of the culture as the mud is!!

">

">

And a couple more with the 20mm f2.8 Ai-s... it continuously impresses me with it's contrast and sharpness!!

">

">
">

raboof
Total Posts: 1454

Love #4

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4965

On my butterflies I want to thank Ronny, Georg, Samy, Jay, Leighton, Dan and Scott for such nice compliments!
Georg great shot on the red and white vehicles
Samy great comparison of the 105's
Dan I think you are going to love the D600 and the 180 2.8 AIS
Robson I think that the 35mm 1.4 AIS is one of the best Nikkors. I enjoy that FOV on full frame even more that on crop. Great shots M8

dpbingham
Total Posts: 120

Ok dumb question. I have the 180mm on my D600. I entered the lens in non CPU data. I set Max aperture as 2.8. Now, when in aperture mode, I cannot switch out of f/2.8. Do I have to shoot in manual? What am I doing wrong?

r_o_b_s_o_n
Total Posts: 2416

dpbingham wrote:
Ok dumb question. I have the 180mm on my D600. I entered the lens in non CPU data. I set Max aperture as 2.8. Now, when in aperture mode, I cannot switch out of f/2.8. Do I have to shoot in manual? What am I doing wrong?

are you trying to set the aperture via the camera controls or the aperture ring?

with any manual focus lens (except for the 24/45/85 PC lenses?) you have to set the aperture via the ring on the lens...

MDoc9523

Yep it's old school - turn the ring and it auto meters for the aperture that you set on the ring. You will see it change in the top window

dpbingham
Total Posts: 120

Thanks guys. I figured out the aperture ring. My first time using a manual lens .

Here's my first test shot... this lens will take some getting used to...

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1080

Mark, the shot with the water wheel intrigues me, it's almost a little scary, but I like it.
Georg, what can I say, I'd keep coming back for your photos; Chapel Weitendorf is a standout for me.
Robson, really digging your cyclocross series.
Samy, I'm getting crosseyed staring at the 105 comparisons; thanks for sharing.
Chin, I continue to enjoy slices of life from your part of the globe, please continue posting. Great style too.
Ian, the portrait series outstanding.

and for those I missed commenting on, keep up the good work. I really enjoy the variety and the talent around here.

pbraymond

Kevin
I missed a lot of the conversation around carrying heavy gear, so I hope I'm not being repetitive. I've got some thoughts to share, hope you don't mind.

1. Micro 43 gear - I have some gear, and while the IQ is fine (not D700 or D800 fine, but fine nonetheless) I find it a lot less responsive than shooting with the DSLRs, and I respond quite differently looking through an EVF than an optical viewfinder. It is a solid alternative if your body can't handle the weight anymore.

2. Consider waist / holster style carriers - I sometimes use a thinktank modular set, and the system distributes weight extremely well over the hips and skeletal structure. There really is not a great solution to carrying a camera / lens combo, but for carrying some extra lenses or a flash unit it works great.

Whatever way you choose, hope you feel better, and keep shooting.

pbraymond

Finally, a couple shots from this summer, nothing too special but shows a slice of the old great swamp that northwest Ohio civilization is built on.

In the first pic, the pretty purple flowers are, alas, an invasive species that I don't think provides any benefits for any of the local fauna. 50-135 f3.5

Second pic is part of a flood control structure for these swamps. The refuge management controls the flooding of these wetlands with a whole bunch of dikes and gates. 28 f2.8 AIS.

MDoc9523

dpbingham wrote:
Thanks guys. I figured out the aperture ring. My first time using a manual lens .

Nice bokeh. It's a 180 so you need to keep your speed up. I use auto ISO to keep my speed to at least 1/250 unless I use my tripod

Ray

geezfools
Total Posts: 123

welp, think I'm sold on a D700 after way too many awesome photos shown here! I got my D300s because it had video, now with the iPhone 5s (for random video stuff) and me wanting to go full frame, it's time to track down a low shutter count D700. The search begins!

saph
Total Posts: 2286

Works terrific while you have 9 non-CPU lenses or less. This function should be programmable for any number of lenses.

pburke wrote:
kwoodard wrote: The question is, how do you do it? I was looking through the manual and I am feeling stupid.

Ken Rockwell to the rescue

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/users-guide/menus-custom-ctls.htm#func

scratch that - this is better

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/photography/9781933952802/custom-setting-menu/f_controls

under

4.9.4. f3 Assign Fn Button, f4 Assign Preview Button, f5 Assign AE-L/AF-L Button

"Choose non-CPU lens number – This function allows you to shoot with some older AI or AI-S Nikkor lenses that do not have a CPU chip in them. You must first register the lens in the Setup Menu > Non-CPU lens data function. After you have registered one or more lenses, you can select them by assigning Choose non-CPU lens number to the Selected button. Simply hold down the Selected button while rotating the rear Main command dial to scroll through up to nine registered non-CPU lenses. You’ll see n-1 to n-9 appear on the lower right corner of the Control panel on top of the camera as you scroll. Above that you’ll see the current focal length and aperture. This function is not available for Assign AE-L/AF-L button assignment."

leighton w
Total Posts: 9122

kwoodard wrote:
mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
dpbingham wrote:
leighton w wrote:
dpbingham wrote:

-Dan

Yes you can.

Project for the weekend.

Is this the level that displays on the LCD? By default I think if you press the INFO button it displays. I wish there was a level in the viewfinder, I hate cropping crooked pictures.

Kevin, you have two buttons on the front which can both be programmed. The one for non-cpu and the other for the horizon level. The level shows up in your viewfinder a little differently than on the LCD. It is at the bottom of the viewfinder and they use the + and - with zero being level. Hope this helps.

leighton w

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
A few more with my D700 & 35mm F1.4 Ai-s... I find 35mm to be such a comfortable focal length to shoot.... I love this lens! These were shot on sunday at the my first cyclocross race of the season. Cyclocross is essentially racing road bikes, off road with a knobby tire... through mud, and over barriers which force you to have to dismount at speed and run over the barriers and remount the bike again... it's a very tough sport as it keeps you at the redline for 45min-1hr, with few opportunities to recover... the best part about cyclocross is that beer is as much a part of the culture as the mud is!!

And a couple more with the 20mm f2.8 Ai-s... it continuously impresses me with it's contrast and sharpness!!

">

Geoff, these are VERY good, but this one is fantastic! I love the processing you did on these as well. What are you using?

leighton w

saph wrote:
Works terrific while you have 9 non-CPU lenses or less. This function should be programmable for any number of lenses.

I agree Samy, I think they could do a simple firmware update to fix this. I guess they didn't realize that there would be so many like-minded folks that were using so many of these old lenses.

leighton w

dpbingham wrote:

Dan, glad you got it sorted out, you're gonna have a blast with this lens judging by your first example.

saph
Total Posts: 2286

Welcome new folks!

And where's enabler in chief Curtis? Someone needs to tell the new folks the joys of turning scalloped aperture rings.

Here's a website that goes into much comrehensive technical detail of all Nikon SLR lenses going back to 1959:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

And this one tends more to the history:

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/telephoto/105mm.htm

MDoc9523 wrote:
Yep it's old school - turn the ring and it auto meters for the aperture that you set on the ring. You will see it change in the top window

1       2       3              3313      
       3315              4141       4142       end