Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3298

1       2       3              3298      
       3300              5892       5893       end

dgjean
Total Posts: 627

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Don. Your use of shadows is second to none. I don't know if you stage theses shots, or just wait for the right moment, either way, they're fantastic.

I occasionally stage a shot but not very often. For example, in the first shot above, the focus should have been spread more across the length of the shadow but I couldn't do it because the guy came up too quick from behind me. If I had the luxuary of a cast of characters to accompany me at least I could do a better job of focus and I wouldn't waste nearly as much time waiting for an interesting person to walk into the scene.

Of course, I also take multiple shots of many characters and usually something decent comes out.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

One more from this morning. All the ice is gone and now we're expecting 3 to 5 inches of snow starting tonight.

Fields of Ice/50-135/3.5 by Leighton W, on Flickr

dgjean

See the post below!

dgjean

dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Thanks Don. Your use of shadows is second to none. I don't know if you stage theses shots, or just wait for the right moment, either way, they're fantastic.

I occasionally stage a shot but not very often. For example, in the first shot above, the focus should have been spread more across the length of the shadow but I couldn't do it because the guy came up too quick from behind me. If I had the luxuary of a cast of characters to accompany me at least I could do a better job of focus and I wouldn't waste nearly as much time waiting for an interesting person to walk into the scene.

Of course, I also take multiple shots of many characters and usually something decent comes out.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I just bought a Vello Freewave Plus Shutter Release ($44.95 from B&H). It's far superior to the Nikon ML-3 and costs a third of the price. It has a range of about 100 meters (or 110 yards), can shoot around corners, from inside your pocket, etc. Of course, it has a delay mode too. In this shot I had it in my pocket:

D3s & Nikkor 105/1.8 Ai-S

Nights in White Satin by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

leighton w wrote:
One more from this morning. All the ice is gone and now we're expecting 3 to 5 inches of snow starting tonight.

Fields of Ice/50-135/3.5 by Leighton W, on Flickr

Great shot Leighton. Such detail in the ice

leighton w

Thanks Ray. I cheated a little and brushed some sharpness into the ice. All the same, the 50-135mm is a sharp zoom.

leighton w

dgjean wrote:
dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I just bought a Vello Freewave Plus Shutter Release ($44.95 from B&H). It's far superior to the Nikon ML-3 and costs a third of the price. It has a range of about 100 meters (or 110 yards), can shoot around corners, from inside your pocket, etc. Of course, it has a delay mode too. In this shot I had it in my pocket:

Cool shot, I remember this one on Flickr. Am I to assume that this is a self portrait since you said you had the Vello in your pocket?

dgjean

leighton w wrote:
dgjean wrote:
dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Cool shot, I remember this one on Flickr. Am I to assume that this is a self portrait since you said you had the Vello in your pocket?

That's me. But I had to take multiple shots to get it right.

MDoc9523

One with the 20mm 3.5 AIS of the Christmas decoration in McCall Park

leighton w

dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:
dgjean wrote:
dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Ok, now it's time to see you from the front! And in light!

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:

It's not Christmas...where's the snow?!

MDoc9523

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

It's not Christmas...where's the snow?!

Just hold tight - I am sending all of the snow to you!!!! It should be there shortly

dgjean

leighton w wrote:
dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:
dgjean wrote:
dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:

This is as close as it gets!

D3s & Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S

A Man of Few Qualities by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

MDoc9523

Now I really love that one Don and you used my favorite lens to boot

dgjean

MDoc9523 wrote:
Now I really love that one Don and you used my favorite lens to boot

I like the 35/1.4 Ai-S a lot too. At night I usually shoot it at f2 because I like to freeze the action (I always have people in motion in my shots) but in the shot above I stopped the lens down to f5.6 to get the starburst effect.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4212

Leighton asked "Beautiful boat Peter, how much did that set you back?"
The answer - a couple of fins! And an arm and a leg!!
Eric - there's the answer! Thanks both of you for commenting.

Georg - thanks. It will sail from Knysna after Christmas under its own canvas. The stitching is easy in PSE 12 - much faster than PSE6 which was also pretty good. Win 8 also helps though.

Ray - thank you. I've sailed from Cape Town to Rio on a 42ft monohull - this would be luxury. A bunk and not a pipe cot! Wow.

Samy - I had Nikon binoculars and now have both Leica and Zeiss. Thankfully the difference in camera lenses is not as vivid or I'd have to go back to work. Thanks for the comment. Your icicles are terrific.

John - what a hike. Fantastic images.

Reagan - you sure grow serious asparagus in South Carolina! Don't they get a bit tough when they're that big?

Chin - poetry in word and deed.

Don - every one is a new adventure. I expect a mugging in progress one day!

Leighton - who needs a Christmas tree and baubles? Excellent! Love the mono too.

Ray - Florida and SA seem to have the same kind of Christmases - no snow and hot!

leighton w

dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:
dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:
dgjean wrote:
dgjean wrote:
leighton w wrote:

This is as close as it gets!

D3s & Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S

A Man of Few Qualities by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

Close enough, thanks!

dgjean

Oosty wrote:

My wife says the same thing!

leighton w

Oosty wrote:
Leighton asked "Beautiful boat Peter, how much did that set you back?"
The answer - a couple of fins! And an arm and a leg!!
Eric - there's the answer! Thanks both of you for commenting.

Georg - thanks. It will sail from Knysna after Christmas under its own canvas. The stitching is easy in PSE 12 - much faster than PSE6 which was also pretty good. Win 8 also helps though.

Ray - thank you. I've sailed from Cape Town to Rio on a 42ft monohull - this would be luxury. A bunk and not a pipe cot! Wow.

Samy - I had Nikon binoculars and now have both Leica and Zeiss. Thankfully the difference in camera lenses is not as vivid or I'd have to go back to work. Thanks for the comment. Your icicles are terrific.

John - what a hike. Fantastic images.

Reagan - you sure grow serious asparagus in South Carolina! Don't they get a bit tough when they're that big?

Chin - poetry in word and deed.

Leighton - who needs a Christmas tree and baubles? Excellent! Love the mono too.

Ray - Florida and SA seem to have the same kind of Christmases - no snow and hot!

Thank you kind sir.

leighton w

Don and Ray, have either of you tried the 35 f2 AIS?

1       2       3              3298      
       3300              5892       5893       end