/forum/topic/929565/3288

1       2       3              3288      
       3290              5887       5888       end

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 3766

Nikkor 50mm f1.2 on D700

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

Ray - I love the "pathway"! Very nice framing and post work. Isn't that a great little lens?

Chin and Jay - Great door shots! What's not to love about a good door shot?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Jay was kind enough to let me use his 55mm 1.2 lens while we we out at Bok Tower. It is a lens that I have considered buying and was dying it try it out. I can see that there is a real learning curve as to the selective focusing and nailing exactly what you are aiming to achieve. It is a lens very similar to my 35mm 1.4 but more in the photo seems in focus. Here are a couple of shots of my efforts. I know I would need a lot more practice to be effective at using it. Both are at 1.2

leighton w

Ray, very nice separation on the flower shot. I think either the 50 or 55 1.2 would round out your kit.

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1940

Thanks for the comments Eric and Leighton. Most shots from that day were taken with B&W and some more effort at pp in mind. Even toyed with SOOC JPEGS, but have since I discovered that I still toy with those, so might as well just shoot RAW.

The 50-135 is a neat lens, Leighton. I find it a great companion to the 28mm for when I want to carry just two MF lenses, though depending on what day it is I can probably come up with many different two lens combos. I do find the old school rendering very much to my liking, and part of my purchase decision was based on your enthusiasm and shots with it. Just in case you were starting to doubt that there a little bit of a NMFAS devil in you

MDoc9523

leighton w wrote:
Ray, very nice separation on the flower shot. I think either the 50 or 55 1.2 would round out your kit.

Thank you Leighton. I am enjoying the AIS lenses because of the shorter focus throw so the 50mm 1.2 AIS is one I would love to try out. Though overall I was impressed with the 55mm - Thanks Jay

leighton w

pbraymond wrote:
Just in case you were starting to doubt that there a little bit of a NMFAS devil in you

Who Me?

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Thank you Leighton. I am enjoying the AIS lenses because of the shorter focus throw so the 50mm 1.2 AIS is one I would love to try out. Though overall I was impressed with the 55mm - Thanks Jay

I'm with you. I have one Ai lens and I much prefer the shorter focus throw of the AI-s.

MDoc9523

pbraymond wrote:
Thanks for the comments Eric and Leighton. Most shots from that day were taken with B&W and some more effort at pp in mind. Even toyed with SOOC JPEGS, but have since I discovered that I still toy with those, so might as well just shoot RAW.

The 50-135 is a neat lens, Leighton. I find it a great companion to the 28mm for when I want to carry just two MF lenses, though depending on what day it is I can probably come up with many different two lens combos. I do find the old school rendering very much to my liking, and part of my purchase decision was based on your enthusiasm and shots with it. Just in case you were starting to doubt that there a little bit of a NMFAS devil in you

It is a really nice photo Ray and I think I am going to follow your lead in carrying just two lenses. Yesterday I found that I only used two lense but carried five. So a lighter load is definately in order!

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

Ian Boys wrote:
Nikkor 50mm f1.2 on D700

Ian, that's a great demo of a great lens! I've gotta Get that and give it a second try! However I still am fond of the 85mm 1.2 ais that money aint not a problem xD

pbraymond

MDoc9523 wrote:
It is a really nice photo Ray and I think I am going to follow your lead in carrying just two lenses. Yesterday I found that I only used two lense but carried five. So a lighter load is definately in order!

Ray
I find that carrying limited focal lengths forces my eye and brain to work harder, many times drawing out pictures that I would otherwise have not created because I would just use the "usual" focal to create the usual photograph. It's been a long process over 25 years in the making, but I still have to exert discipline to see the shot before putting the camera to my eye.

It also looks like you have a tremendous amount of primes to build your two lens kit on any given day. Enjoy!

pbraymond

One with the 55 f2.8 AIS Micro on the D700. It is super sharp across the frame, a wonderful testament to lens designer skills before the days of computers. The fact that the lens is still "tight", and a tactile joy to use, is a testament to the manufacturing of the lenses.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4678

I have one of these that I need to restore. Oil on the aperture blades and nearly seized focus. The lens stayed in its box, unused, for literally decades. It's unfortunate that it was stored on its end in a very hot cabinet. From the look of it, it was used very little before it was stored. I have used it "as is" and you are quite right, surprising lens.

pbraymond wrote:
One with the 55 f2.8 AIS Micro on the D700. It is super sharp across the frame, a wonderful testament to lens designer skills before the days of computers. The fact that the lens is still "tight", and a tactile joy to use, is a testament to the manufacturing of the lenses.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 877

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Your images are superior without any assistance from Leighton on the lens buying front! You have to watch him he is sneaky. He got me into the 50-135 by constantly posting great pics with it. It all turned into a buying nightmare until I finally got one that did not do the Fosbury flop with the zoom.

MDoc9523

Thank you very much Ron. I appreciate your kind words. I know just how sneaky Leighton is but I get him back by making him want the 35mm 1.4 AIS and the 85mm 1.4 AIS

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you very much Ron. I appreciate your kind words. I know just how sneaky Leighton is but I get him back by making him want the 35mm 1.4 AIS and the 85mm 1.4 AIS

Yea...you're mean that way!

While I'm thinking about it, you want to trade the 35 for my 50/1.2?

dgjean
Total Posts: 626

CGrindahl wrote:
The real reason I don't show up more often Scott is because I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not taking photo with my awesome collection of manual focus lenses. How can it be that the apostle for MF Nikkors can't even lift a camera to his eye and take a few photos? When I find an answer I'll let everyone know. I still love to shoot when the mood strikes me, but it just doesn't happen very often.

Once I've finished the fifteen books standing next to my reclining chair maybe I'll pick up the D700…

If my experience means anything, I think everyone needs a break from the pressures of the internet (FredMiranda, flickr, etc.) every once in a while. Enjoy your time away Curtis!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Thanks Don. I'm recharging my batteries so I'm ready when Spring arrives. I just picked up an espionage novel at the library for a bit of rather mindless pleasure A little reading, a little writing seems in order as winter arrives in northern California… another night below freezing... I'd rather be in Italy, but nothing to do about that…

MDoc9523

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Ok I messaged you

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Ok I messaged you

At the very least you could swap lenses with each other so you both could do some serious testing. That is surely is one of the pleasures of having spent so much time together on this thread. When you get to know folks it becomes much easier to trust them. That is one of the reasons I have so enjoyed the transactions I've done with folks from this thread. Have fun guys, however you work it out…

1       2       3              3288      
       3290              5887       5888       end