Total Posts: 2355

Great set Luc

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

deadwolfbones
Total Posts: 2576

Awesome shot, Ronny!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4026

I find myself at an impasse - whether to continue with MF glass which I enjoy or to accept the limitations of a life of poor eyesight and to rely on autofocus.On the one hand there would be the loss of enjoyment of fine engineering but on the other, particularly with some of the very fine AF lenses, there would some certainty that the result might at least resemble what I've seen in the viewfinder !! I'm sure I'm not alone but I have been mightily disappointed with my latest results.

I have some images that I'm prepared to share but even they lack "snap" - I know it's not the camera and I'm sure my technique has something to do with it!!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5797

Oosty wrote:
I find myself at an impasse - whether to continue with MF glass which I enjoy or to accept the limitations of a life of poor eyesight and to rely on autofocus.On the one hand there would be the loss of enjoyment of fine engineering but on the other, particularly with some of the very fine AF lenses, there would some certainty that the result might at least resemble what I've seen in the viewfinder !! I'm sure I'm not alone but I have been mightily disappointed with my latest results.

I have some images that I'm prepared to share but even they lack "snap" - I know it's not the camera and I'm sure my technique has something to do with it!!

I'd ditch the D200 and get a D700 or even a D600 - the big bright viewfinder and accurate focus confirmation dot will help immensely. I almost abandoned MF lenses when I had the D300 and it was a revelation when I got the D700.

- John

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5797

Stokesey wrote:
The lady of the house has been trying to cultivate this Orchid for ages ....

It finally decided to flower.

So I went and stuck my lens at it ...

Blew it out completely - high key

55mm f2.8 Micro @ f4 1/80th ISO1600

Steve

Simply excellent Steve - blowing this out really works for me.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2821

Right there with you Peter, right there with you. With my back and neck causing me so many issues, I find that I am shaky more and the time it takes me to work the MF lens (unless I am standing perfectly upright or sitting) I get even more shaky. I have been looking at many of the "D" series glass and some of the units with VR. I don't really want to go this route, but if I stay with a DSLR like I want too, I am probably going to have to. One thing about my particular D7000, AF so far, is tack sharp across all the lenses I have tried. The only thing that causes me issues is body shake.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9173

jhinkey wrote:
Oosty wrote:

I'd ditch the D200 and get a D700 or even a D600 - the big bright viewfinder and accurate focus confirmation dot will help immensely. I almost abandoned MF lenses when I had the D300 and it was a revelation when I got the D700.

- John

Peter, you'll have to make up your own mind, but I whole-heartily agree with John. Going FF helps tremendously.

leighton w

Ok, looks like we're in favor of lifting the 4 shot limit to posts.

SO POST AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But let's make it reasonable.

the solitaire
Total Posts: 755

Oosty wrote:

I think that nothing should stop you from using AF lenses. Some of them are very nicely engineered as well. Mostly the higher end lenses from the AF-D series. Some of them, like the 85mm f1.4 AF-D, the DC Nikkors and the push/pull 80-200 f2.8 are real beauties and give exquisite image results.

For easier use of MF Nikkors I agree with the above post. A full frame camera has a bigger better viewfinder. Add to that nice split image focus screen and things should become a lot easier.

lucdeschepper
Total Posts: 136

leighton w wrote:

Oops, sorry about that in my recent post ...

leighton w

lucdeschepper wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Oops, sorry about that in my recent post ...

No worries Luc. Nice images by the way.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2355

Thank's guys
Peter : agree with John and Leighton .. and the big bright viewfinder and accurate focus confirmation dot will help immensely.. at least on most MF-lenses

Nitro

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

lucdeschepper
Total Posts: 136

Amazing shots Ronny!

Btw; thanks

Stokesey
Total Posts: 734

Watching life go by as I stroll along the seafront.

It's always a pleasure to see what people get up to and how they exercise regardless of age.

From young to old ...

180mm ai f2.8 ISO200

The youngster on the bike .... look mum no hands !!! @ 1/320th

The more mature woman - No matter how old you are !! @ 1/2000th

Steve

Stokesey
Total Posts: 734

What about a ride to the Ferry??

Monochrome or Colour ??

Just a taste of the transport delights on the coast of the UK.

180mm f2.8 ISO200 @ 1/80th

Steve

georgms
Total Posts: 3341

Steve, I prefer the B&W-version. Your second take on the "Hells Gate" is great; would love to try myself at this wonderful subject ;-)

georgms

jhinkey wrote:
Oosty wrote:

- John

Peter, the D200 is a good camera, I've shot about 150.000 images with my copy and my sister is adding more clicks right now to this fine piece of engineering.
That said - I rarely touched the D200 after I got myself the D700. The big and bright viewfinder, the excellent high-ISO-quality and the relief to finally be able to use MF-Nikkors in the way they were designed for brought back the fun into digital photography for me. I've started to play/experiment with MF-Nikkors again and the rest is history
All my DX-Nikons from the D1 to the D7000 never worked as well with MF-glass like the D700.

If I had to document something like a journey or vacation with a DX-Nikon, lets say the D200, and only one lens I would probably grab an AF-S 35/1.8 or the neat AF-D 35/2. LiveView works great for critical focusing with newer bodies, but not on the move and the D200 is lacking this very useful feature. For fast-paced shots AF or a camera with a really good screen/finder-combination for manual focus is the way to go in my opinion.

To your shots: candids like the first and last shot from your latest set would benefit from a more shallow DoF, it would concentrate the viewers perception on the main subjects. And getting good focus on the move is not easy with a manual-focused lens on a DX-body in my opinion.
Btw, both images would look good as a fairly contrasty B&W ;-)

All the best, Georg!

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Regarding diminishing eyesight and MF lenses, the D700 will also accept 2nd party split prism screens, which would make focusing even easier.

Regarding camera shake, would a monopod help? There are some stylish, lightweight models available now.

We are all getting to the same place, eventually. Just have a good trip, my friends...

georgms

Ronny, your portraits of Nitro are always top-notch!

Luc, nice to see you posting here again! Nice set, my personal fav is the last shot for it's framing.

Ben, another great set! Love especially the first two shots!

Ray, very cool use of your 35/1.4!
Sometimes I wonder how "Americanos" would like the genuine Budweiser from Czech Republic.
Border-hopping between southern Germany, the Czech Republic and Slovakia would be a trip to heaven for every beer-connoiseur ;-)

Samy, I like your work with the 10.5cm/4T a lot. Thanks for sharing informations about this lens. How about sharing a picture of this rare Nikkor too ;-)

Peter from Madison, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the 16/3.5. I hope you'll find a modest priced and good working copy soon.

Rafael, great set with the 55/1.2. I hope the ill guy will get well soon.

Sorry, I've missed a lot of great posts.

georgms

Thanks for the kind comments on my recently posted images, really much appreciated.

1       2       3              3288      
       3290              4172       4173       end