Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3271

1       2       3              3271      
       3273              5889       5890       end

pburke
Total Posts: 3007

So I got my "just CLA'd" 16mm f/3.5 yesterday, and it took me 20 seconds to see something that doesn't look right - inside the rear element:

anyone able to tell what that is? lubricant spilled by a Nikon tech, or is the glass cracked?

The lens overall feels very nice, definitely in great mechanical shape and looks clean, and a first test picture doesn't seem to show any problems, but I haven't really been out in the bright sun with it yet. If this is just some sort of fluid, I don't mind, but if it cannot be determined that this is not a crack, the lens is going back. You'd think a professional camera retailer would be able to spot such stuff before they list something as perfect and just serviced?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

rick2906 wrote:
Haha, at least I found others to share my addiction with!

I am right there with you Rick. I am up to 15 MF lenses but to be honest I need to pare some of them out and add some others. I want the 20mm 3.5, 50mm 1.2 and the 135mm 2.0. Kit building is forever as you discover your focal needs. The quality of these prime lenses has me spoiled. Good luck because even though these lenses are reasonable the total cost adds up

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

pburke wrote:
So I got my "just CLA'd" 16mm f/3.5 yesterday, and it took me 20 seconds to see something that doesn't look right - inside the rear element:

anyone able to tell what that is? lubricant spilled by a Nikon tech, or is the glass cracked?

The lens overall feels very nice, definitely in great mechanical shape and looks clean, and a first test picture doesn't seem to show any problems, but I haven't really been out in the bright sun with it yet. If this is just some sort of fluid, I don't mind, but if it cannot be determined that this is not a crack, the lens is going back. You'd think a professional camera retailer would be able to spot such stuff before they list something as perfect and just serviced?

Peter, I do not like the looks of that! It has the appearance of a crack to me. Try tilting the lens back and forth while looking through with a backlight, if it is a crack it will appear to have a depth to it. Possibly a scratch also. Can you send these photos off to the repair shop for them to see?

saph
Total Posts: 3699

More to share the 'pain' with

The 135 f2 Ai/AIS is awesome, both you and Buddy will love it. Ray, you like wide angles so the 20 3.5 would be great, and different enough from your 16 fisheye.

MDoc9523 wrote:
rick2906 wrote:

I am right there with you Rick. I am up to 15 MF lenses but to be honest I need to pare some of them out and add some others. I want the 20mm 3.5, 50mm 1.2 and the 135mm 2.0. Kit building is forever as you discover your focal needs. The quality of these prime lenses has me spoiled. Good luck because even though these lenses are reasonable the total cost adds up

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Peter, ouch, at first glance that looks like a crack, but hopefully its not.

mp356

saph wrote:
More to share the 'pain' with

The 135 f2 Ai/AIS is awesome, both you and Buddy will love it. Ray, you like wide angles so the 20 3.5 would be great, and different enough from your 16 fisheye.

MDoc9523 wrote:
rick2906 wrote:

What is another lens between friend Ray. I have the same "problem" of wanting to try all of these wonderful lenses, but also be reasonable about the ones kept. After all, I can only have one on the camera body at a time.

Samy, thanks for the comment.

mp356

HCE HCE wrote:

Maybe this is a Liquid Amber Tree? D800 with 55mm f/1.2 wide open.

-Jay-

Jay, this one is terrific. Great colors and bokeh.

pburke

mp356 wrote:
pburke wrote:

Peter, I do not like the looks of that! It has the appearance of a crack to me. Try tilting the lens back and forth while looking through with a backlight, if it is a crack it will appear to have a depth to it. Possibly a scratch also. Can you send these photos off to the repair shop for them to see?

It does look like a crack to me - it gets darker when I tilt the lens. And I didn't have it repaired, but the vendor who sold it on ebay claims it just came from there. My guess is they are hoping people don't notice, and if I return it they will file an insurance claim with the post office.

I have a 14 day money back on this lens, losing my shipping cost. It's just a real hassle and my desire to get one of these lenses is starting to dissipate...

mp356

pburke wrote:
mp356 wrote:
pburke wrote:

It does look like a crack to me - it gets darker when I tilt the lens. And I didn't have it repaired, but the vendor who sold it on ebay claims it just came from there. My guess is they are hoping people don't notice, and if I return it they will file an insurance claim with the post office.

I have a 14 day money back on this lens, losing my shipping cost. It's just a real hassle and my desire to get one of these lenses is starting to dissipate...

Definitely sounds like a crack if it gets darker when you tilt it.

rick2906
Total Posts: 1374

Well if it was just for mf lense my problem wouldn't be too big!! I like fast af telephoto too for sports!! Those would empty your bank account pretty fast!! If i sell my 85 1.8 and get the 85 1.4 I should be pretty set. I don't mind using my 200 f2 for portraits. It is really good when you want to get huge bicep!! All I might need is a 400 telephoto. With my 3 tc I'll get nice coverage!!

the solitaire
Total Posts: 2116

pburke wrote:
mp356 wrote:
pburke wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I had exactly the same happening when I was looking for a 180 f2,8. Ended up not buying one after I bought 2 duds and went through 3 failed repair attempts so I know how you feel right now.

dgjean
Total Posts: 626

Been away for a while but I'm still shootin' with Nikkor Ai/Ai-S lenses!

D3s & Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Don't be gone so long the next time Don! What a great image.

pburke

rick2906 wrote:
Well if it was just for mf lense my problem wouldn't be too big!! I like fast af telephoto too for sports!! Those would empty your bank account pretty fast!! If i sell my 85 1.8 and get the 85 1.4 I should be pretty set. I don't mind using my 200 f2 for portraits. It is really good when you want to get huge bicep!! All I might need is a 400 telephoto. With my 3 tc I'll get nice coverage!!

this is a good place to repost a reminder image

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

dgjean wrote:
Been away for a while but I'm still shootin' with Nikkor Ai/Ai-S lenses!

D3s & Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S

Edward Steichen, Is that you! Great capture!

HCE HCE
Total Posts: 865

Thanks for the comments and ID on my gum tree photo.

The industrial shot was taken at a Manatee viewing local, but they were not seen to advantage due to the rough water, but overprocessing helps to show a mother and baby.
I'll try one with a polarizer on a calm day.
D800 24mm PC-E

-Jay-

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

Jose - I got quite a shock when I aw the garlic photo since I thought I'd missed Georg's great series as well as your "black" glacier. Thanks for the comment - I think the lens was at 2.5.

Your pano of Bariloche is amazing - well done.

Samy - thanks

Jay - thanks and I think it is a Liquidamber - my folks had two in their garden and they were stunning.

Don - I knew it was your pic before I looed at your name. Nothing changes - superb! ( Well maybe the focal length )

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Don, what a fantastic shot! Makes me wanna grab one of John Le Carré's classic novels. Thanks for sharing your inspiring work here!

georgms

Peter, I'm sorry to hear about your repeating bad luck with the 16/3.5! The only consolation I can give is that a good 16/3.5 is worth going through some hassles.

georgms

Jay, "Tourist Industry" is a really interesting shot and subject. Is this some kind of theme park? Very bubbly bokeh on your gum-tree-image, very cool!

Rick, welcome to the MF-Nikkor-addiction-club! Right now I have a bit over 30 manual-focus-Nikkor's and I'm still lusting after more old glass ;-)

1       2       3              3271      
       3273              5889       5890       end