1       2       3              3262      
       3264              5887       5888       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

Today in Paris with the 28/2.8 ais :

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

the solitaire wrote:
Ray, that looks really good. Would you mind posting some more photos made with that combination of lens and converter? Could be a valid alternative for a 135 f2,8, even if it costs a bit more to obtain both pieces of the puzzle.

Thank you Kevin and Buddy
I only took a few photos out and about so I set up a comparison between the 85mm 1.4 + TC-14A and the 135mm 2.8 AI. Both were shot at 2.8.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Kevin, very interesting effect - amazing what can be done with today's software. I think I'll stick with B&W for my stuff ;-)

Peter, you've set the moon on fire with your 600/4 Ais! Very cool shot, I hope there's a really long Nikkor in my future…

Ray, wow, the 85/1.4 works pretty well with the TC14A! The bokeh on your first shot is wonderful. A very nice set, thanks for sharing!

Philippe, great to see your love for Nikon-glass isn't completely gone ;-) I like your street-shot a lot, the tilt works great. Are small, probably family-operated and tradition-rich shops still a daily sight in France?

georgms

Two different takes on the same subject, both shot with the amazing PC 85/2.8D on my way to dusty D3s:

Marien von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Marienkirche - "St. Marys" - no shift, a very gentle amount of swing, PC 85/2.8D at f/5.6
A point of view a few inches more to the left side would have been better.

3 horizontal shots stitched together (shifted upwards, no shift, shifted downwards):

Shadow-recovery in SilverEfex, there wasn't much light on the market.
The PC Micro-Nikkor 85/2.8D is one of a few lenses I would like to try with a D800.

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

georgms wrote:

Peter, you've set the moon on fire with your 600/4 Ais! Very cool shot, I hope there's a really long Nikkor in my future…

there is a really nice one on ebay right now - ais version late model and $2200, which is quite a bit less than the usual price. Shipping to Germany and customs probably would kill the deal for you

georgms

pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

there is a really nice one on ebay right now - ais version late model and $2200, which is quite a bit less than the usual price. Shipping to Germany and customs probably would kill the deal for you

Peter, yes, import-turnover-tax is 19%* plus other customs-fees. The seller mentioned a small amount of fungus on the rear element - stuff like this makes me want to buy within "reach" or at least within the EU. A Dutch seller (secondhandcamera.nl) is offering a 600/4 for 1750 Euros.
I just fear I won't use any really long MF-Nikkor enough to justify the costs. Some sports could be done with a manual 400-600, but for soccer/football and the like I prefer AF.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

georgms wrote:

The PC Micro-Nikkor 85/2.8D is one of a few lenses I would like to try with a D800.

I'd like to try it on the D600 too! My address is ...

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

Found out today that one of my images I took at the County fair this year with the 28/2.8 got second place out of 1100 international agricultural fairs!

28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

georgms

^Congrats, Leighton! I remember this shot, a worthy price-winner for sure! First price was probably a similar shot, just with bulls instead of cows

georgms

leighton w wrote:
georgms wrote:

I'd like to try it on the D600 too! My address is ...

Good one

PS: Short notice for Scott: I've just tried the 45 PC-E and the older PC 85/2.8D on a D7000 and couldn't detect any mechanical clearing-issues.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Georg beautiful example of how to use a TS lens. So sharp and as always perfectly framed
Leighton congrats on the big win. Great photo!

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

georgms wrote:
pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

Peter, yes, import-turnover-tax is 19%* plus other customs-fees. The seller mentioned a small amount of fungus on the rear element - stuff like this makes me want to buy within "reach" or at least within the EU. A Dutch seller (secondhandcamera.nl) is offering a 600/4 for 1750 Euros.
I just fear I won't use any really long MF-Nikkor enough to justify the costs. Some sports could be done with a manual 400-600, but for soccer/football and the like I prefer AF.

you're shooting the wrong sports - cars are far more predicable :-)

I didn't read the detailed description of that lens (since I already have it), but at first glance it looked really nice. I wouldn't touch it either with that fungus information

When I bought mine, I could have saved a few hundred buying from Canada, but I was worried that there may be big problems with potential returns (their customs "brokers" are a real pain"), so I bought a minty one from a seller in the US who sold many such lenses before with perfect feedback. My thinking was that if I don't use it much, I can sell it again in a year or so, which is a lot cheaper than renting any 600mm, even if I lose a few hundred.

The 600mm is definitely not for everyone. I used the Canon 600mm f/4 for years, so weight and size just don't bother me at all. When needed, I will do hand-held pans with it. It's a good workout, so you get free exercise equipment as well

georgms

Peter, the chubby, but compared to your 600/4 tiny AF-S 200/2 is my most used lens. Indoors I tend to shoot it "bare", for soccer&co. with the TC17E. Never tried to count the shots with it, it could be well over 100k images (that's not much, some fulltime-sports-shooters might use a long lens more in a year than I in 5 years).
Manual focusing sports is doable, but my hit-rate is widely depending on my personal condition. In the film-days I've shot a lot with a 300/2.8 on a motorized FM-2. Great fun, but my hit-rate was really low when I had a "bad day". On good days focus and timing were much better.
A lot of my personal stuff is the result of killing some spare time between assignments. I can always slip a 105/2.5 or a 20/3.5 in my bag, a 600/4 is not so easy to carry with me. Storing it in the car's trunk for "just in case I see a distant subject" is not safe enough for my taste.

Anyway, your shots with the 600/4 and the fine 500/600/800mm-images from Jose, Steve, Samy and Chuong are always very inspiring and make me think about a looong MF-Nikkor ;-)

georgms

Ray, thank you! Playing with PC-Nikkors is highly addictive.

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

I miss my MF Nikkors!

Socalpicman
Total Posts: 156

MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg beautiful example of how to use a TS lens. So sharp and as always perfectly framed
Leighton congrats on the big win. Great photo!

+++++1 Great job guy's.

JD

Weasel_Loader
Total Posts: 1275

Kevin- Love the flower! What an excellent capture. Love it!!!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4678

Weasel_Loader wrote:
Kevin- Love the flower! What an excellent capture. Love it!!!

Thanks! I took that a while ago, I think its one of my few favorite shots that I have taken. I am hyper critical of my own work, usually hating most of what I shoot.

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

georgms wrote:

Philippe, great to see your love for Nikon-glass isn't completely gone ;-) I like your street-shot a lot, the tilt works great. Are small, probably family-operated and tradition-rich shops still a daily sight in France?

Thank you Georg.
For some years now, we have many openings of "false" antique shops especially in tourist aeras.... But authentic local shops with a true "belle époque" look can still be found especially in Paris (not in the Champs-Elysées or around the Eiffel tower....) or in small "France profonde" towns.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

Steve, Georg and Ray - thanks for looking

Georg - the definition in the images with the 85 is fantastic

Kevin - good to see you're still here - beautiful image

Ray - for some reason I can't see the images with the 85 ??

Phillippe - another very nice street shot

Leighton - well done. It is a great image of a young farmer

1       2       3              3262      
       3264              5887       5888       end