Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3262

1       2       3              3262      
       3264              4191       4192       end

raboof
Total Posts: 1468

Congrats Kevin. Nice opportunity to shoot and get published!

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Georg. It's still on the brown truck and we're in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Kevin, congrats on the assignment. My only suggestion is shoot a lot and shoot RAW.

+1
congrats Kevn - Leighton's right, shoot often and shoot RAW.

ben

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2839

georgms wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Shared this in the "other" thread, figured I would share here too... I recently changed jobs and now work on a different college campus. The new campus is totally revamping their website and wants new pictures of the campus for the website. I spoke with the person in charge, showed her my work, and she loved it! So, I am now the photographer for the campus website. I have a shot list and three weeks to get everything together. This will give me a lot of visibility, I am very nervous.

Congrats, Kevin! I would take this opportunity as an excuse to get a real wide-angle-lens. I love detail-shots of architecture, but can't imagine (no pun intended) to get a complete campus-picture-set without some superwide-shots.

What do you suggest? I am on Dx and don't see me upgrading to FF anytime soon.

Thanks all! I am very nervous about the project. If you remember my relatively recent shot of the girl wearing the shoes...those are the feet/shoes of the lady in charge. That probably put her on to using me (she loved the shot). She is looking for landmarks and some of the more unique features of the campus, plus she loves abstracts, so I can work there too.

raboof

Out walking in downtown Cincinnati today. It's been a while since I get to do this again...

105mm f2.5

raboof

My mom's alterations shop.

28mm f2

20mm f3.5

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5032

Went to Kennedy Space Center today and had a great time. Took a few photos, of course
16mm 3.5

James Markus
Total Posts: 4411

MDoc9523 wrote:
Went to Kennedy Space Center today and had a great time. Took a few photos, of course
16mm 3.5

Awesome, Ray!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13031

Take a few days off and what happens? Zeiss? Leica? Did this thread suddenly transport into the Alternative Gear and Lenses Forum? You guys are incorrigible. I understand that it is as easy to love other well designed and crafted gear as it is to love Nikon MF lenses but really?

Seriously, those are some awesome lenses Ronny, a number of which have made my heart go pitter pat on more than one occasion. Leica is simply too rich for my blood, though I was quite taken with a Leica 90 f/2R with a Nikon mount I had occasion to play with a bit. That tempted me as well, but I wasn't much interested in stop down metering. It produced lovely colors and contrast however. The photos I took ended up on the Alternative Gear and Lenses forum... hint, hint, hint.

With the great work being posted by Peter from Madison and Peter Z, as well as what Steve, Scott and Jose have offered with their recently acquired lenses, I don't think Nikon MF lenses lose a great deal were there a competition. And Ray, that shot from the Kennedy Center is delicious. You make the 16 f/3.5 sing whether using in on DX or FX.

I've been spending a great deal more time away from the computer, which means not much time to participate on this fast moving thread. But I did ramble through the last six pages this evening and must say I'm impressed. But then I always feel that way.

I did pull my camera out this morning when I arrived home to find lovely light on some lilies that volunteer to decorate my neighbors property. I had the 180 f/2.8 AI-s mounted. I believe this was shot at f/4 to accommodate the bright light.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9200

MDoc9523 wrote:
16mm 3.5

WOW!

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2373

Awesome shot Ray!

James Markus
Total Posts: 4411

Thanks Georg and Steve for the comments about the sunflowers. Another theme I pursued yesterday was this...

My wife hates it, but I like it.

pburke
Total Posts: 1965

Here's something geeky for those who want to make sure they get their depth of field right - an online DOF calculator

It also has a stacking calculator - probably the most useful thing just to get a sense for how many frames it takes on a given lens and the approximate focus steps to use. Example with a 20mm at f11, to go from 0.3m to infinity, I would need to shoot 10 exposures

suggested Focus distances
0.3161 m
0.3543 m
0.4034 m
0.4688 m
0.5603 m
0.6974 m
0.9256 m
1.381 m
2.735 m
226.2 m

to get a stack of images for the software to have the entire range covered with in focus content. That's a lot more than I usually do, and the number of short steps at close focus surprised me.

pburke

Love the space shuttle shot, Ray. Doesn't help me keeping my eyes off those 16mm lenses either, and now I am thinking a road trip to Dayton Ohio for the Air Force museum is already half way down to Florida to take some shuttle pictures...

On second thought, when I googled the Kennedy Space Center, I was lead here:

"The new Angry BirdsŪ Space Encounter is the first comprehensive, interactive Angry BirdsŪ Space attraction in the United States designed for all ages."

all ages - that would include my age. Nope, not gonna happen.

MDoc9523

Thank you James, Curtis, Leighton and Peter. I was certainly impressed with the space center. The early exhibit, Imax about Hubble, Research Center and of course the Atlantis exhibit. The shear size of it is very hard to capture in a photo. Just a slight idea is this photo of a young lady photographing her family in front of the rockets that carried the space shuttles into space. Sorry Peter we skipped the angry birds

MDoc9523

James Markus wrote:
Thanks Georg and Steve for the comments about the sunflowers. Another theme I pursued yesterday was this...

I like it a lot James!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2839

MDoc9523 wrote:
James Markus wrote:

I like it a lot James!
I do as well. It is unusual. I want to know why he is doing whatever he is doing.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2373

Great shot James

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5816

MDoc9523 wrote:
16mm 3.5

Excellent use of the 16/3.5!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9200

Jim - I like this version as well, but I think I like the first one better

Ronny - Looks good enough to eat!

pburke

the 20mm f/3.5 again, four more today

f/8.0 1/160s, ISO 100 polarizer
Lake of the Lone Indian in Ansel Adams Wilderness

f/8.0 1/40s ISO 400, no polarizer, fill flash
Log bridge in Ansel Adams Wilderness, even the D600 didn't have enough dynamic range for this one

And another view of the trees at Sally Keyes Lakes. Last version I showed was shot at f/11 this one is f/16 1/80s ISO 100 for a much nicer sunburst, plus the blue light from the lake behind me comes out much better than on the other shot, especially on the aspen on the left side

and more of Muir Pass with its Sierra Club built hut from 1930 that was being refurbished this summer. The door's varnish was fresh when we came by.

5:49 am light, f/5.6 1/13s ISO 1600 handheld, building straightened in Photoshop with the adaptive wide angle filter

1       2       3              3262      
       3264              4191       4192       end