Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3243

1       2       3              3243      
       3245              4300       4301       end

saph
Total Posts: 2341

Steve from across the pond shamed me into digging for older 500 F4 P shots (still on the couch). These ones may have had the TC16A attached, for 800mm.

Waiting patiently for birds to show up at the feeder, no bites for last couple days.

saph
Total Posts: 2341

And continuing the theme of digging out pictures taken earlier in the year, here's a view at the World War II memorial in Washington DC. Taken with the 28 3.5 PC.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Trying out the 180mm 2.8 AIS

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2964

MDoc9523 wrote:

Holy vibrant colors batman! I really like this shot.

MDoc9523

Thank you kevin. Good luck with your wide lens choice

georgms
Total Posts: 3450

Samy, the memorial-image above is one of your very best shots with the 28PC so far (in my opinion) - love the framing.

Ray, very nice shot of those "giant american" butterflies ;-) The 35/1.4 works on the globe-image.

Steve, now, the glitter-ball is really special, but a very nice subject for us photographers for sure.

Philippe, love your framing and the light on the "through-bolted" fence. Unusual construction, but whatever works, or ...

Leighton, I hope, the cleaning/repair of your D600 will be a speedy one.

MDoc9523

Georg you are too kind, thank you

georgms
Total Posts: 3450

kwoodard wrote:
Ok folks, need some advice. I don't see me getting into FX anytime soon and finally want something wide. I know a ton here love the 16/3.5, but I am not a fan of fisheye lenses. What else is good? I would like to stick with Nikon, but I won't limit myself. I am looking for good value for dollar, I don't have deep pockets. I will be looking to get one after the 55/1.2.

I am going to be culling the herd soon, some lenses I just don't use enough to warrant keeping. I hope to have my buy/sell next week, but I will advertise here first. With the exception of one focal length, I won't be doubling up.

Kevin, I'm afraid that I have to recommend a dedicated DX-lens too. For some years a Sigma 10-20 (first version) was my daily go-to-lens and it worked hard and pretty well for me ;-) A fellow DX-shooter loves his Tokina 11-16/2.8.
Maybe one of Nikon's older 20mm (20/3.5 Ais/Ai or 20/4 Ai) would work for you too, but that's not really wide on DX. At least you could use these lenses with Harold ;-)

MDoc9523

Samy the cardinal photo is amazing!

kwoodard

georgms wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Ok folks, need some advice. I don't see me getting into FX anytime soon and finally want something wide. I know a ton here love the 16/3.5, but I am not a fan of fisheye lenses. What else is good? I would like to stick with Nikon, but I won't limit myself. I am looking for good value for dollar, I don't have deep pockets. I will be looking to get one after the 55/1.2.

I am going to be culling the herd soon, some lenses I just don't use enough to warrant keeping. I hope to have my buy/sell next week, but I will advertise here first. With the exception of one focal length, I won't be doubling up.

Kevin, I'm afraid that I have to recommend a dedicated DX-lens too. For some years a Sigma 10-20 (first version) was my daily go-to-lens and it worked hard and pretty well for me ;-) A fellow DX-shooter loves his Tokina 11-16/2.8.
Maybe one of Nikon's older 20mm (20/3.5 Ais/Ai or 20/4 Ai) would work for you too, but that's not really wide on DX. At least you could use these lenses with Harold ;-)

Well Georg, you hit the three choices I am looking at... I have heard good things for all three, and it will be a hard choice. I need to get that 55/1.2 first, I have a shoot in December that this lens will be perfect for before I go wide. I also need a couple of really long flash sync cables for another project I am just starting... I swear, this thread is terrible on the pocketbook...

Zichar
Total Posts: 3548

I loved my Sigma 10-20mm too when I was on DX; had the first version with the variable aperture and the infamous paintjob. Never flaked on me and I brought it everywhere, to the sea, the desert and back. It's cheaper than the 11-16mm so that's a plus point.
Trying to be smartypants instead - Would a tripod + ballhead and stitching suffice?

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

saph wrote:
Steve from across the pond shamed me into digging for older 500 F4 P shots (still on the couch). These ones may have had the TC16A attached, for 800mm.

Waiting patiently for birds to show up at the feeder, no bites for last couple days.

These are very nice Samy. Sharp details.

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

MDoc9523 wrote:

Very nice Ray. Looks like the 180 has found a good home.

kwoodard

Zichar wrote:
I loved my Sigma 10-20mm too when I was on DX; had the first version with the variable aperture and the infamous paintjob. Never flaked on me and I brought it everywhere, to the sea, the desert and back. It's cheaper than the 11-16mm so that's a plus point.
Trying to be smartypants instead - Would a tripod + ballhead and stitching suffice?

That is actually what I have been doing, but I want to do more night work with startrails and such. Can't really stitch that I don't think. Is the Sigma a rectilinear lens or fisheye?

MDoc9523

Thank you Scott. Waiting for those 18mm photos from you

Zichar

The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6DC EX HSM is what you want; rectilinear and not fisheye
Had that and the 35mm f/1.8 as my go-to kit back then

As an aside, stitching startrails is doable:
http://starcircleacademy.com/2011/08/night-panorama/
With the consideration that an interesting foreground makes for a better nightsky/stars image, some degree of blending and pp will be required.

Zichar

Thanks for the well-wishes.
Is that a positive WOW or negative one, Ben?

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1086

Leighton, that snail macro with the 55/2.8 is excellent.

Georg, really nice rainy garden shots. I especially liked the composition and background of the pears.

Steve, love the racing film shots! The 24 of Le Mans is on my bucket list. I would have loved to have seen it before they chicaned the Mulsanne straight.

Peter, wonderful processing on your plane shots and the campsite.

Philippe, beautiful photo of the opera.

Ronny, great church shots.

Rafael, I like the 15mm version. Beautiful dancers!

Samy, great birds and I love the Discovery shot.

John, terrific work capturing the dynamic range of the Ranier shot.

Bert, beautiful tube shots.

Andy, really like the first lifeguard stand shot.

Ron, that's a good looking pie!

Jim, very nice lights.

Peter, I enjoyed the Cape Cod shots.

David, congrats on your new 35/1.4!

Ray, gorgeous butterfly.

Chin, sorry to hear about your E-6 processor. You might want to give these guys a try. They do a lot of E-6 work by mail and are very good. http://www.northcoastphoto.com/film_developing_scans.html

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

ok E6 is a process, but still, what is the difference vs. the other films?

I don't understand E - 6 SLIDE vs. regular, but from what i think i get, is that it is able to be seen with the naked eye, and used on a projector too vs. the other films? i have some of it, because i thought it sounded cool, and i wanted to use my Rollei 6008 with it, but then i failed loading some velvia 50 by shooting it most likely upside down, and then i took it out and exposed it to light! a forum member tried to teach me the basics about it all, but the loading my 120 made me uncomfortable, so i just shoot fujifilm instant! I still cant be comfortable loading, or knowing what to do after its done! i freak out, plus i worry that once developed that it would be severely cooked, or extremely under exposed!!

the solitaire
Total Posts: 799

Processing E6 slide film with a C41 developer is what was called cross-processing back in the day. You can print the cross-processed slides as regular film but need to compensate for the missing amber/orange mask used in regular C41 film. It gives you a unique high contrast look. With Velvia 50, shot at and processed as 100 ISO film (pushed one stop) I made some of the pictures I still keep as prints today.

Printing cross processed Velvia 50 requires you to move the yellow slider on your enlarger to +max. Cyan and Magenta sliders need to be set slightly higher then for regular film but not maxxed.

1       2       3              3243      
       3245              4300       4301       end