Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3213

1       2       3              3213      
       3215              3802       3803       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 3606

Zichar wrote:
Amazing story RM. I don't have the time to reply at length now ... but you. must. show. us. the. picture.
Even if in digital form

Wish I could...but it's back in Chicago, not with us at the moment.

rattymouse

sbarricklow wrote:
Salvia blossoms and Garlic Chives shot with a 50 to 135 mm zoom.

I really like the colors of this shot. Very pleasing.

Socalpicman
Total Posts: 147

ZippZopp17 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221270906074?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

i'm thinking of bidding on it. i'm debating between that and a used 15mm sigma AF fisheye. what would be considered a high amount to pay for that 16mm nikon lens?

Hope someone got it for 365

JD

the solitaire
Total Posts: 627

Great story Tom. I do believe a print leaves an impression a digital copy on screen can not equal. I also believe an analog film to paper enlargement has a certain added flair as well. Its a shame printing and developing is so expensive nowadays and a few rolls of good film cost $50' ish

I do occasionally have some of my files printed but pixels and grain are not quitd alike. I think I have to set up my darkroom again one of these days

ZippZopp17
Total Posts: 20

here are some images i shot with a reversed 28mm f/2 ai-s

it was a fun thing to use, but it was quite difficult to get proper framing and focus, especially with bees!

i must have shot several hundred photos of bees with this setup and only got 1 or 2 decent shots, most were blurry or the focus wasn't in the right spot.

rattymouse

That last one is pretty cool!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3313

Well Tom, spurred on by what you wrote previously about having my film camera with me but not shooting anything. I just grabbed a 4-roll pack of Ultramax 400 from the shelves (that was all they had in the local grocery store) and will be bringing two with me on my trip up north to Malaysia. This in addition to the 20 exposures of Delta 3200 left in my FM2. I leave tomorrow morning. I think this is where I say Challenge accepted.

rattymouse

Zichar wrote:
Well Tom, spurred on by what you wrote previously about having my film camera with me but not shooting anything. I just grabbed a 4-roll pack of Ultramax 400 from the shelves (that was all they had in the local grocery store) and will be bringing two with me on my trip up north to Malaysia. This in addition to the 20 exposures of Delta 3200 left in my FM2. I leave tomorrow morning. I think this is where I say Challenge accepted.

Outstanding!! Looking forward to some shots! Have a great trip.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 1840

Socalpicman wrote:
ZippZopp17 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221270906074?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

i'm thinking of bidding on it. i'm debating between that and a used 15mm sigma AF fisheye. what would be considered a high amount to pay for that 16mm nikon lens?

Hope someone got it for 365

JD

Unfortunately I did not get it .. just bought a computer for my daughter and almost just bought the nikon 28 f2.8 ai-s with .. So I set my maximum bid to $ 350 and hoped .. I have to wait until the next opportunity and hope there is more money then

Stokesey
Total Posts: 554

I looked at the 28mm f2.8 Ronny - but 4am did me in. Not staying up that late or putting a sniper bid in.

Got a 28mm f3.5 yesterday so will get the f2.8 to marry up with it later.

Good to see we have other crazy MF people bidding on stuff too.

Steve

Stokesey
Total Posts: 554

Nice close ups Peter.

I've not got into reversing lenses yet. I will stick with bellows and tubes for now.

Anyway here's a couple I took the other day.

C&C welcome as always

Steve

Using 180mm f2.8 + TC200 or PK13

Not quite up to Ronny's standard but working on it!!

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2209

I lost their 28 2.8 ais so who snipped me xD

saph
Total Posts: 2061

Seconding Chin's request!

Zichar wrote:
Amazing story RM. I don't have the time to reply at length now ... but you. must. show. us. the. picture.
Even if in digital form

saph

Welcome to all the most recent new folks! With such a variety of these lenses going back more than half a century, hope you folks know what you are getting into, especially with all the helpful folks on this thread nudging you along

Peter Z, I don't see your reversed lens images, there's a message saying the images are copyrighted.

saph

Leighton, tremendous story about your taking up farming, very inspiring!

leighton w
Total Posts: 8581

MDoc9523 wrote:
Welcome David and a lovely photo to introduce yourself. Glad to have you aboard, but I have to warn you that these lenses are highly addictive

leighton w wrote:
Welcome David! Join right in to the conversation as well. I hope you guard your wallet!

davidthejr wrote:
Wow! Two people telling me to keep an eye on my money! Must be serious!
Thanks for the welcome and I'll be sure to keep my wallet close!

Socalpicman wrote:
No one gave me such a warning....

Too late now

JD

Maybe we sensed you had money to burn JD.

saph

I guess we have to wait then to see that egret image RM

What I am amazed at is you and a few other folk using film. The digitial world has us spoiled rotten, I can't imagine taking a picture of an egret and getting the exposure right using film. But someday given enough time, I might just give film a shot.

BTW, I did insist on manual transmissions until a few years ago when I injured that particular knee and needed surgery. Its healed enough now that someday I may go back to the joy of shifting gears.

When I first got my first DSLR about 6-7 or so years ago (D50), it took me just 2-3 weeks before I gave up on the auto everything setting and started trying out "M". With the AF lenses I learned to work manual focus for shots like birds in a middle of foliage or a spider web. So the retrogressive evolution towards these manual lenses was just normal progression

rattymouse wrote:
Zichar wrote:
Even if in digital form

Wish I could...but it's back in Chicago, not with us at the moment.

leighton w

rattymouse wrote:
Good morning All!

A turn of events on the drive in to work this morning (not me driving) caused me to recall an event earlier in life which has put me in the mode to write. Since this is my chosen forum for all things photographic, I hope this is of interest to some and if the muse strikes to reply, I'll be interested in your take on this.

While riding into work today we passed a farm field that had a dozen or so egrets standing around. I was wish that I could stop and take a photo here but as usual, we just drove on, no one else noticing all those beautiful birds.

This caused me to remember an event long ago, at the very beginning of my journey into the world of photography. Around 1994 or so i am thinking, I bought a Canon Rebel XT and and grew a collection of various lenses. One day, as I drove past my work place to fuel up my car, I went buy a small retention pond. In that pond were some full size egrets (hence the connection to today's ride in). They were quite large, and the retention pond had a totally natural look to it, very very beautiful. I made it a point to one day come back there early in the morning with my camera and 300mm telephoto. I did so, coming in on a Saturday morning, just before sunrise and sure enough, there were 2 egrets in the pond, standing amongst the reeds. My extreme enthusiasm immediately scared off one of the birds which was stupid of me. The other one remained and I calmed down and began to work the scene. I did a decent job and left with 36 exposures in the can.

When I got the film back, I was stunned to see an absolutely beautiful image! I caught the egret in a perfect pose, neck bent, and a mirror image reelection in the water. All surrounded by gorgeous green foliage. I immediately ordered a larger print.

Now at the time I had a good friend, a pen pal, whom I had been writing to for several years. She was a student in England and we hooked up on a bulletin board after I learned how to use email. Back then there was no commercial internet access. The words .com werent common and to send emails you had to know a fair amount of UNIX commands. Once I graduated, I scrambled to find a way to keep email access, even stealing unused university accounts until i found a place that was starting to sell internet access. Anyway, my pen pal and I wrote hundreds of letters and emails over the years and I decided to send her a copy of this print. In fact, I went to this pond to make this photograph for this sole purpose.

Needless to say, she LOOOVED this image and still has it today.

After 6 years of writing to each other, I married my penpal and she has been my wife for the past 16 years. After she graduated, she moved to Hong Kong and invited me over to visit. I said yes, and off I was to travel, never having left the US before. We never spoke to each other even once until the day before I left. It was a 100% pen pal relationship. Not even slightly romantic, I dared not dream of such silliness as marrying her. It was too bizarre to contemplate. After that 1st visit, we realized that we were made for each other and so spent the next year working out the best way end the separation.

Getting back to photography, the whole point of this essay is to muse about the state of the print today. If the situation above were to happen today, I'd be emailing her a jpeg file of the egret photograph that I made.

I contemplate, would getting an email of an image have had the same impact as opening up an envelope and pulling out an 11 x 14 print?

I dont think so.

There's something very different about holding a print in your hand and I have always considered my finest images unfinished until I held them in my hand.

While you can certainly print digital images (i have spend enormous money on inkjet ink), most people just dont print anymore. With film you had to print and early on in in digital photography i think a people printed more than they do today. From looking at the available high quality photo printers, the number of options seems to have dropped dramatically.

Right now I have a nebulous existence. I dont want to buy an inkjet printer here in China so rarely see my images in print. My film negatives are being stored up for when I can own and operate my own dark room, so my film images remain unprinted. As a result, I find photography right now distinctly unsatisfying in this area. Screen viewing just doesnt cut it by a long shot and to me, photography has lost something in this modern world.

Again, if you have thoughts on this, I'd love to read them.

Sorry for the length of this post. Hope it is appropriate for the thread.

Great story RM. What an interesting way to meet your future wife.

As far as printing...I somewhat agree with you but I think you can be just as equally satisfied in the digital age. I stopped printing at home because of the cost to get quality prints. I send all that I wish to print now to Mpix. They're cheap and fast. They also do quality work. John's idea about the photo books is another great idea. There's also blogging. My wife has a farm blog with hundreds of images from her and me in the posts. With over 500 posts now it will be around for our kids, and our grandchildren to enjoy for years to come.

Anyway, just my two cents added.

leighton w

Peter Z. - The last one is very nice.

Steve - Hope you intentionally increased saturation, because that barley looks mighty green!

Thanks Samy.

sbarricklow
Total Posts: 2073

Texas Wheat - 105 mm f1.8 AIS and Fuji Velvia

1       2       3              3213      
       3215              3802       3803       end